Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Best Streaming Solution for Sports?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-19, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Best Streaming Solution for Sports?

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I'm in Southern Riverside County. Mountains cut off the OTA signals for the L.A. and San Diego stations. I wish I could get OTA stuff...
Ah, gotcha. I guess then just periodically check and see if the niche channels you like get apps. Comet has one that lets you watch live through it. That's the only one that I'm aware of.

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Rumor has it that Amazon wants live channels(like Pluto TV and Roku Channel) and they may want some of those niche OTA channels(heard the rumor from Cord Cutter News).
I'm all for that. Sometimes certain OTA channels get pixelated for me. Dedicated streams would be much appreciated. Live streaming must be gaining a lot of traction. (and money) New apps keep popping up. Since Viacom bought it, Pluto has exploded. Seems like every week new channels are added.
Old 09-20-19, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I love YouTube TV (subscriber since day 1). But it's missing NFL Network, Pac-12 Network, and the "Dodgers channels."

It's so annoying how fragmented things have become with all these streaming networks. Not just for sports but for content in general. If I want to watch everything that I'm interested in, then I'll have to subscribe to like 20 different streaming services. Ugh.
Old 09-20-19, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by namja
I love YouTube TV (subscriber since day 1). But it's missing NFL Network, Pac-12 Network, and the "Dodgers channels."

It's so annoying how fragmented things have become with all these streaming networks. Not just for sports but for content in general. If I want to watch everything that I'm interested in, then I'll have to subscribe to like 20 different streaming services. Ugh.
You also can't get the Lakers, right?
Old 09-21-19, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
You also can't get the Lakers, right?
Spectrum SportsNet is not available on any Live TV Internet service.
Old 04-21-23, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

I figured I'd bump this thread because I subscribe to a live TV streaming carrier almost exclusively for sports and decided to do a recent evaluation of the landscape, given the dumb situation with RSNs.

As I posted way back in 2019, Playstation Vue was the best option for sports (for me) and I loved it until it shut down. I still miss it.

I've had YoutubeTV since then and it's fantastic for sports, except for the huge issue of not have my RSN. I don't fault YoutubeTV for that though - Bally Sports has obviously not negotiated in good faith and is absent from most carriers. It does have all the national sports channels I need, the quality is rock solid, and the features are good overall.

I decided to do a free trial this week of FuboTV because they did just pick up Bally Sports. It's an excellent service overall and its multiview feature (on AppleTV at least) is awesome for sports. However, I won't be keeping it and I'll be sticking with YoutubeTV for a couple of reasons:
  • The way they advertise their pricing is deceptive. They advertise their cheapest bundle as being $74.99 but then there's an additional $10.99 fee for your RSN that has no opt-out option. Obviously I wouldn't opt-out as I want the RSN, but this pricing model is not at all obvious on their site before you go through the sign-up process. I thought it would be just a couple bucks more than YoutubeTV but it's actually $13 more.
  • They don't carry the Turner networks, which is a huge miss for sports fans given that TBS & TNT have a bunch of national NHL and NBA games and a large chunk of March Madness. That makes it an automatic no-go for me. Apparently they got into a dispute on fees in 2020 and have never resolved it. Seems like a massive hole for a service that markets specifically to sports fans.
Old 04-29-23, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 243 Likes on 202 Posts

I'm in Southern Riverside County. Mountains cut off the OTA signals for the L.A. and San Diego stations. I wish I could get OTA stuff...
Try using the LocalBTV app for the Los Angeles area:

https://www.localbtv.com/m/SoCalBTV
Old 05-07-23, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Funny thing, I had signed up for a free preview/test of Hulu Live a couple months ago, and suspended the account before I had to start paying for it. The suspension ended this week and it went live again...

So I'm looking through the channels, again, and found that it DID have CBS Sports Network, along with the ESPNs and the Fox Sports channels. I'm set.

So I'll be trying life without cable for a couple months to see how that goes. I'll save about $50 a month doing that. (I'll miss METV and Antenna TV and H&I, but I only watch those channels 5 or 6 times a month each anyway...)
We are doing the same thing. We went from an apartment to buying a house a few months ago. We had AT&T at the apartment but canceled it when we moved. We are going to try to make it until the fall and most likely we will go with YouTube TV. I really do miss METV though. I love 60's TV and they carried all the good shows from that era, plus they show Saturday morning cartoons. I tried an indoor antenna, but still couldn't get it. I'm not trying to derail the thread, but if someone could recommend a good indoor TV antenna, I would appreciate it.
Old 05-08-23, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 243 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I tried an indoor antenna, but still couldn't get it. I'm not trying to derail the thread, but if someone could recommend a good indoor TV antenna, I would appreciate it.
I've been using one from Antennas Direct for more than ten years.
Works great, I highly recommend it.

Note that it's directional, so it's best to put it next to the window to cut down
on the interference from the room walls.
The higher the better, so I used electrical tape to mount it atop a pole (I used a shower rod).

https://store.antennasdirect.com/cle...v-antenna.html
The following users liked this post:
Sonny Corinthos (05-08-23)