Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Best Streaming Solution for Sports?

Old 09-11-19, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Best Streaming Solution for Sports?

I did a search, and couldn't find what I was looking for so...

My cable company jacked up my price by $50 and can't seem to find another, "Discount," to keep my already inflated price to a halfway reasonable level. So I'm looking for solutions. I could switch to another cable provider, but the ones that I'm finding don't have all the content I want if I'm paying for cable.

So we're looking at Hulu Live, we've already got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

But for the sports I want the ESPN channels, Fox Sports, CBS Sports Network, and, if possible, the Pac12 network. I'm not finding any way to get them all in a streaming service, so am I just screwed and will either have to do without one or more of them, or will have to keep cable??

What streaming services have the best Sports content?
Old 09-11-19, 08:33 PM
Premium Member

Re: Best Streaming Solution for Sports?

I have Hulu Live and I'm pretty sure it has all of those. I have B1G Network, SEC Network, and ACC Network included, but I live in Ohio. I'd guess you would probably get Pac12 where you are, but you'd have to check that out (you can put in your zip code on their website and get a list).

I think they do a free month trial.
Old 09-11-19, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Fubo is probably the best for sports. Has NFL Network, CBS Sports Network, PAC 12, the Fox Sports regions and FS1.

only drawback it does not have ESPN. It appears they don’t have a deal for the ABC affiliates and all Disney owned channels.

you could subscribe to ESPN plus separately for $5 per month.

Look at FUBO.TV and see if it works for you.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-11-19 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-11-19, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Hulu Live does have the ESPN networks, including the new ACC Network. But they don’t carry NFL Network or PAC 12.
Old 09-12-19, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The biggest problem with ESPN + is that you have to have a corresponding cable subscription (or one to Sling, HuluTV, Playstation Vue, etc.) to see a lot/most of the live games. Otherwise, you're going to get blacked out and will only have access to the pre-recorded shows.
Old 09-12-19, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To throw out another option, checking the sports networks on my YouTube TV, it has: ESPN, ESPN 2, SEC, ACC, ESPN U, ESPN News, Fox Sports 1, Fox Sports 2, NBC Sports, NBC Sports Washington, NBA TV, MLB Network, Big Ten, CBS Sports, NBC Golf, Olympic Channel, and The Tennis Channel.

I'm in Richmond, VA and I'm sure the NBC Sports Washington is area-specific, but I don't know if any of the others are. You can see your line up by putting in your zip code here.
Old 09-12-19, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
The biggest problem with ESPN + is that you have to have a corresponding cable subscription (or one to Sling, HuluTV, Playstation Vue, etc.) to see a lot/most of the live games. Otherwise, you're going to get blacked out and will only have access to the pre-recorded shows.
ESPN + is separate from ESPN.

I think it's ESPN 3 where you need credentials (but ESPN3 isn't what it used to be).
Old 09-12-19, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

ESPN + has live college sports (football and basketball), MLB, NHL, soccer, UFC and more. There's actually quite a bit of live sports on it.

But, it's not going to have the top tier stuff that ESPN televises like MNF and Top 25 college football and basketball.

I got an e-mail from them today that if I subscribe again for 1 year, I can get it for $39.99.
Old 09-12-19, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
ESPN + has live college sports (football and basketball), MLB, NHL, soccer, UFC and more. There's actually quite a bit of live sports on it.

But, it's not going to have the top tier stuff that ESPN televises like MNF and Top 25 college football and basketball.

I got an e-mail from them today that if I subscribe again for 1 year, I can get it for $39.99.
I love sports, but that seems expensive (though I greatly prefer NBA, which isn't on there, to MLB)

Doesn't Sling have pretty good options as well?
Old 09-12-19, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I love sports, but that seems expensive (though I greatly prefer NBA, which isn't on there, to MLB)

Doesn't Sling have pretty good options as well?
$3.33/month is expensive? If you're not a college sports, MLB or NHL guy, then yeah it's probably not for you.

They also carry the entire 30 for 30 back catalog and other ESPN original documentaries. Some premiere before TV like the Junior Seau film.

Regarding Sling, they are currently in a contract dispute with the FOX Sports regionals. They have been blacked out for over 1 month.
Old 09-12-19, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
$3.33/month is expensive? If you're not a college sports, MLB or NHL guy, then yeah it's probably not for you.

They also carry the entire 30 for 30 back catalog and other ESPN original documentaries. Some premiere before TV like the Junior Seau film.

Regarding Sling, they are currently in a contract dispute with the FOX Sports regionals. They have been blacked out for over 1 month.
I love college sports but I'm a Pac 12 guy and I don't think this will get me the games I don't get because DirecTV doesn't have the stupid Pac 12 network. But yeah, even with that disney+/espn+/hulu with ads bundle they were talking about, the only reason I'd want espn+ is because it's basically free.
Old 09-12-19, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I love college sports but I'm a Pac 12 guy and I don't think this will get me the games I don't get because DirecTV doesn't have the stupid Pac 12 network. But yeah, even with that disney+/espn+/hulu with ads bundle they were talking about, the only reason I'd want espn+ is because it's basically free.
Fubo and Sling are really the only options for Pac-12. But each is missing some key sports networks. And both are too expensive IMO to carry concurrently with a DTV subscription.

T-Mobile T-Vision, which was introduced last year, actually has ESPN, Pac-12 Network, and the FOX Sports regions. But it's starting price is $90/month and runs exclusively off your ISP. It's not exactly budget cord cutter friendly and will eat up tons of data if you have data restrictions.

But I might consider them if DTV has another massive price hike. Only thing is I will lose Spectrum for Lakers.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-12-19 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-12-19, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not sure what it's like in other regions, but at least here in LA you're screwed if you follow the major teams.

You can't watch SportsNet LA (home of the Dodgers) if you don't have Charter, Time Warner, or Bright House. dodger games are for the most part blacked out on mlb.tv.

Lakers availability is a little better but I don't think it's available streaming, it's either cable or sat.

I think I read that, for instance, the Nuggets were getting into carriage disputes to with whatever channel they're partnered with.
Old 09-12-19, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm not sure what it's like in other regions, but at least here in LA you're screwed if you follow the major teams.

You can't watch SportsNet LA (home of the Dodgers) if you don't have Charter, Time Warner, or Bright House. dodger games are for the most part blacked out on mlb.tv.

Lakers availability is a little better but I don't think it's available streaming, it's either cable or sat.

I think I read that, for instance, the Nuggets were getting into carriage disputes to with whatever channel they're partnered with.
https://www.denverpost.com/2019/09/0...mcast-directv/

Yeah Altitude Sports was dropped by Comcast, Dish Network and DirecTV. If you live in Denver, you're basically screwed if you're a Nuggets or Avs fan.

and no there are no streaming options for Spectrum SportsNet (Lakers) You're basically screwed if you're a Lakers fan and don't have DirecTV, U-Verse, Fios or Spectrum cable. There's no Live TV streaming options.

Old 09-12-19, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, sports is the one area where they know they have you by the balls and it's hard to cut the cord
Old 09-12-19, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

If I wasn't a Lakers fan or sports fan, I probably would have dropped DTV long ago with all the price hikes and go with one of these live TV internet streaming services. But, alas, I am and I have to play the freaking negotiating for discounts every 6 months to 1 year to keep it relatively affordable.
Old 09-12-19, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't speak for the PAC-12 network, as I'm in the midwest, but I have Playstation Vue and it's fanstastic for sports (much better than Dish, which is what I had previously). I get all of the ESPNs, NBC Sports Network, CBS Sports Network, FS1, FS2, MLB Network, NBA TV, NFL Network, NHL Network, SEC Network, ACC Network, Big Ten Network and some more obscure channels like the Golf Channel and beIN Sports, for $55/month. You can add a Sports Pack to get some additional things like Red Zone, but personally I have all that I need without it.

Forgot to mention, I also get Fox Sports Midwest which is essential, because that's what the local teams (Cardinals and Blues) are on.
Old 09-13-19, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
ESPN + is separate from ESPN.

I think it's ESPN 3 where you need credentials (but ESPN3 isn't what it used to be).
I had ESPN + for a month, when I went to watch anything live, it told me to pick my cable provider and sign in with a code. Maybe it's changed.
Old 09-13-19, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's weird.

I have had ESPN + since day one and always have had trouble signing in or keeping signed it but it never asked me for my cable provider.
Old 09-13-19, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmmmmm...

Looks like lots of options, but none of them perfect.
Old 09-13-19, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
I had ESPN + for a month, when I went to watch anything live, it told me to pick my cable provider and sign in with a code. Maybe it's changed.
There's a bunch of ESPN + exclusive events like college sports, MLB, NHL that don't require a provider log-in. The $5/month you're paying covers them along with the other content like 30 for 30.
Old 09-15-19, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Funny thing, I had signed up for a free preview/test of Hulu Live a couple months ago, and suspended the account before I had to start paying for it. The suspension ended this week and it went live again...

So I'm looking through the channels, again, and found that it DID have CBS Sports Network, along with the ESPNs and the Fox Sports channels. I'm set.

So I'll be trying life without cable for a couple months to see how that goes. I'll save about $50 a month doing that. (I'll miss METV and Antenna TV and H&I, but I only watch those channels 5 or 6 times a month each anyway...)
Old 09-15-19, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
(I'll miss METV and Antenna TV and H&I, but I only watch those channels 5 or 6 times a month each anyway...)
You can't pick up those with an antenna in your market? That's how I watch Antenna and ME TV in mine.

I wish YouTube TV would show all of those niche OTA channels, but the only one it does in my area is Comet.
Old 09-16-19, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJLinus View Post
You can't pick up those with an antenna in your market? That's how I watch Antenna and ME TV in mine.

I wish YouTube TV would show all of those niche OTA channels, but the only one it does in my area is Comet.
I'm in Southern Riverside County. Mountains cut off the OTA signals for the L.A. and San Diego stations. I wish I could get OTA stuff...
Old 09-16-19, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Rumor has it that Amazon wants live channels(like Pluto TV and Roku Channel) and they may want some of those niche OTA channels(heard the rumor from Cord Cutter News).

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.