Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Podcast Master Thread

Old 08-09-19, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Podcast Master Thread

Hi everyone,

This is a place to suggest and discuss any and all podcasts (barring podcasts on politics, which can be be discussed in Other Talk)!
Old 08-09-19, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Re: Podcast Master Thread

My go-tos are Blank Check with Griffin and David and We Hate Movies (we even interviewed them!).
Old 08-09-19, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm starting to think this must be a generational thing. Everyone around my age never listens to them, but all of our kids (15+) listen to some.
Old 08-09-19, 10:54 AM

Just started listening to How Did This Get Played? (the video game spin off from How Did This Get Made?). Worth a listen if you like hearing people make fun of terrible video games.
Old 08-09-19, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

I really like How Did This Get Made and Movie Sign with The Mads.
Old 08-09-19, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Been an avid podcast listener since, oh, 2005. Shows have come and gone, some I've dropped due to loss of interest, but these are my current listens:

Comedy/interview:
Never Not Funny (my favorite and the only one I've ever paid money for, to get the bonus weekly episode)
The Dana Gould Hour
WTF
Feliz Navipod
Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend
You Made It Weird
ID10T
Dumb People Town
Threedom

Movies:
Doug Loves Movies
Comedy Film Nerds

Music:
R U Talkin; R.E.M. RE: Me? (formerly U Talkin' U2 to Me?)
Bizarre Albums
Hit Parade

General Pop Culture:
Slate Culture Podcast
Pop Culture Happy Hour
The Relevant Daily Podcast

Business/Tech:
Prime(d)
KCRW's The Business
Household Name
If Then
Spectacular Failures

Spoiler:
Political, which shall not be discussed here:
The Gist (though it's not all politics)
Problematic Women
Slate Political Gabfest

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
I'm starting to think this must be a generational thing. Everyone around my age never listens to them, but all of our kids (15+) listen to some.
You could be right, but I'll be turning 44 in a couple of weeks and I love the format. I'm a music geek through and through, however podcasts dominate my daily audio entertainment these days. But that's just me.
Old 08-09-19, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-09-19, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJLinus View Post
You could be right, but I'll be turning 44 in a couple of weeks and I love the format. I'm a music geek through and through, however podcasts dominate my daily audio entertainment these days. But that's just me.
Nothing wrong with that at all. I was wondering if it was generational, and since we're a year apart, it sounds like all ages listen to some. I just don't understand it (in terms of appeal) and much more prefer music (especially when driving), but that's just me.

Old 08-09-19, 01:43 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I only have three that I'm listening to on a regular basis right now.

Mindscape - Sean Carroll hosts and regularly brings on guests. The most recent was Seth MacFarlane. Sean's solo episode (#53. Solo -- On Morality and Rationality) is fan-fucking-tastic, IMO.

Matinee Heroes - Alan Cerny and Craig Price talking about movies. They started with a focus on typical "hero" characters, but they've expanded beyond that and I think the show is better for it. They regularly bring friends/guests on, and I like their "recasting" sections. The recent Fight Club episode is great; a very honest look at the film.

Science vs. Fiction - Scott Weinberg and Steven DeGennaro. They compare two movies that are similar in title, or theme or what have you. I'm really enjoying it so far, even though they're only four or five episodes in.

I'm hoping to get into more that aren't movie related, for sure. Looking forward to what others suggest in this thread.
Old 08-09-19, 07:09 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Movie Sign with the Mads
Trace Beaulieu and Frank Conniff, from MST3K fame, discuss movies

Eleven O’Clock Comics
Three guys talking comics. New stuff and old, industry guests occasionally, but the strength of the show is the palpable love these three friends have for the hobby and each other. Weekly for over 600 episodes.
Old 08-14-19, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's my regular listens:

Hollywood Babble-On (Kevin Smith and Ralph Garman talk the entertainment world in front of a live audience)
Fatman Beyond (Kevin Smith and Marc Bernardin talk the entertainment world from the Scum & Villainy Cantina)
Tell Em Steve Dave (Podcast with "Comic Book Men" Walt Flannigan and Brian Johnson, and "Impractical Jokers" Brian Quinn)
Rebel Force Radio (a Star Wars podcast)
Battlestar Galacticast (Tricia Helfer and Marc Bernardin recap each episode of the BG reboot - currently on Season 2)
Penn's Sunday School (Penn Jillette's podcast)
Old 08-19-19, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I donít think HDTG Played is actually connected to HDTG Made in the typical sense of what a spin off is.
Is anyone on that podcast connected to Made other then the similar name?

Anyway.
The Best Movies Never Made is pretty interesting.
They talk about relatively infamous movie scripts of didnít quite make it to screen.

Confronting: O.J. Simpson with Kim Goldman
Kim talks about the murders with her father and friends and interviews some of the people who where witness to some things that happened before and after the murder

The Flop House
Might be my favorite bad movie podcast.

Unspooled
Paul Scheer with Amy Nicholson talk about the movies on the AFI 100 list and discuss whether or not they belong there.

We Hate Movies
A decent bad movie podcast

The ROn Burgundy Podcast
Ron Burgundy talking about just about whatever happens to be on his mind while recording the podcast.
Tends to be pretty random and itís understandable that it may become tiring after a few eps.