https://press.wbd.com/us/brands/max/media-releases
Print Wikipost

Max — Warner Bros. Discovery streaming service

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-23, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,975 Likes on 1,207 Posts
Re: Max — Warner Bros. Discovery streaming service

I'm at the age where I leave subs on 24/7 and get annoyed when they're OFF. I would love that "glitch".
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (09-07-23)
Old 09-06-23, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,089 Likes on 670 Posts

There was a time when the HBO MAX app on my Roku was causing the opposite problem. I use the Roku setting to have closed captions on all the time, whichever streaming app I'm using (Netflix, Prime, Hulu, etc.). And it would work just fine on those apps until I watched something on HBO MAX, and then it would somehow mess things up so that even though the closed caption setting was still on, no captions would appear on anything, even on the other apps. I would have to turn the setting off and then back on to get captions back. But as soon as I watched something on the HBO MAX app, it would mess it all up again. Was very annoying and it lasted for a few months, but I think it got fixed a while back.
Old 09-07-23, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,289 Likes on 993 Posts

Just got my reminder that my sub will renew to the HD yearly plan of $149.99. I'd have to upgrade to the full plan that includes 4K for $199.99.
Old 09-07-23, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,923 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Just got my reminder that my sub will renew to the HD yearly plan of $149.99. I'd have to upgrade to the full plan that includes 4K for $199.99.
Same here. I have a $25 promo discount on my AMEX card so that will help. But, I'm leaning to just staying with HD to save money.
Old 09-07-23, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 485 Likes on 330 Posts

You might want to wait and see if there are any deals in the fall or around Black Friday time, like there were the past couple years. I know there's been lots of belt tightening at the streamers, but it might be worth it to just let your account lapse for a month or two, and see if any deals come along, rather than lock in full annual price now, and then feel stupid if a sale appears in November.
Old 09-07-23, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 578 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
You might want to wait and see if there are any deals in the fall or around Black Friday time, like there were the past couple years. I know there's been lots of belt tightening at the streamers, but it might be worth it to just let your account lapse for a month or two, and see if any deals come along, rather than lock in full annual price now, and then feel stupid if a sale appears in November.
That's exactly what I'm doing. I just got the renewal notice for Legacy $149.99. With Season 4 of Harley Quinn wrapping up there isn't anything else I'm currently watching. I cancelled and see what the holiday/come back promos are.
Old 09-07-23, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk God

I know Max is super expensive, so some of you it might be better to wait. But, I think I'm good just using my promo on the $149 plan and get the $25 off now and not have to worry if they might offer a discount or if the discount is just for "new subscribers" There is still a ton of 1 hour shows and movies I'd like to watch on Max.
Old 09-07-23, 04:04 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts

I really enjoy Max, but not sure I’d pay nearly that much for it. I’ve been getting it free from either my cable or mobile provider since HBO started streaming. That will probably end now that I’ve said something.
Old 09-07-23, 06:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have AMEX card, watch out for their Member Week from Oct 9 to 13. Last year they have discounted HBO annual subscription that can stack with their Spend $XX save $XX offer.

Unfortunately I renewed using the AMEX offer before Member Week of last year. This year I am going to wait and see if they have the same discount before I renew. My current subscription expire next week and I am ok with waiting a month.
Old 09-08-23, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 363 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I really enjoy Max, but not sure I’d pay nearly that much for it. I’ve been getting it free from either my cable or mobile provider since HBO started streaming. That will probably end now that I’ve said something.
I've also been getting it free from my internet provider for a few years. It'd be a stretch for me to pay that much for it, but I will say it has the best mix of current/mainstream and classic movies to watch of any of the streaming services I've had. The TCM "brand spotlight" content really boosts its profile for me. And of course, there are a lot of quality scripted shows on it as well. I could be completely content with just Max and The Criterion Channel. My subscriptions are almost whittled down to that at this point anyway.
Old 09-08-23, 10:21 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
I've also been getting it free from my internet provider for a few years. It'd be a stretch for me to pay that much for it, but I will say it has the best mix of current/mainstream and classic movies to watch of any of the streaming services I've had. The TCM "brand spotlight" content really boosts its profile for me. And of course, there are a lot of quality scripted shows on it as well. I could be completely content with just Max and The Criterion Channel. My subscriptions are almost whittled down to that at this point anyway.
Yeah, they have a lot of good content, even with their recent purge.

I can find stuff to watch on pretty much every hub.

If I didn’t have freebies/deals/shared streaming services, I’d probably cancel them all and miss Max the most.
Old 09-11-23, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 203 Likes on 164 Posts

I just went ahead and pulled the trigger on the full freight renewal today. I'm perpetually in the middle of multiple HBO shows (currently Flight Attendant (S2), Warrior (S3), Doom Patrol (S3), CB Strike (S1), Rome (S1 rewatch)) so cancelling and waiting for a hypothetical deal to save $50 just isn't worth having to pause watching things.

It feels like a lot as a one time expense, but as a monthly expense I pay more for Netflix so...
BackStJoe (09-11-23)
Old 09-13-23, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 650 Likes on 395 Posts

I just broke down and subscribe to six different streaming services including Max. I want to watch all of the Nightmare On Elm Street films but for some reason Freddy's Dead does not show up in any search. Any suggestions?
Old 09-13-23, 06:07 PM

Received 4,842 Likes on 3,274 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I just broke down and subscribe to six different streaming services including Max. I want to watch all of the Nightmare On Elm Street films but for some reason Freddy's Dead does not show up in any search. Any suggestions?
It’s not on Max.
Old 09-13-23, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk God

My subscription renewed a few days ago under Legacy Ad-Free for $149. I have my $25 off promo from AMEX, so $124 for another year.

It would be nice to have 4K, but I can't justify the extra $50 right now. That's a lot for only a select amount of movies and shows.

I wear glasses too and I barely notice the difference between HD and 4K. That's why I passed on the surcharge for 4K on Netflix.
Old 09-13-23, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Mine is set to renew next week, but I'm gonna switch it over to 1 month a la carte for $19.99 and then renew it for the full year the following month - 4K option. I'm noticing Max is starting to give the 4K/Atmos treatment to a lot more stuff, in addition to their TV series. Just watched Blade the other day in 4K / Atmos.
Old 09-13-23, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You can only buy/rent it via digital - it's not available to stream.
Old 09-13-23, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 665 Likes on 462 Posts

I use JustWatch to hunt down what streaming platforms a given title is on, and as Why So Blu? noted, currently it's only available for Rent/Buy, no subscription streaming service is currently carrying it.

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/a...inal-nightmare
The following 3 users liked this post by Jay G.:
Spiderbite (09-13-23), tommyp007 (09-13-23), Xander (09-16-23)
Old 09-14-23, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,324 Likes on 965 Posts

I use JustWatch every morning to see all the new additions to my services. If something looks interesting, it's real easy to add it to my WatchList. Plus if someone recommends something, as Jay mentioned, you can check to see which service it's available on.

As for Max, I'm thinking of paying the $199 yearly for Ultimate ad-free.
Jay G. (09-14-23)
Old 09-19-23, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk God

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...73e828aa12daf1

Max to add live sports.

Will be free until February and then will be a $10 add-on.

I'm guessing it will be mostly Turner Sports simulcasts, which will benefit cord cutters.
Old 09-19-23, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,975 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I use JustWatch to hunt down what streaming platforms a given title is on, and as Why So Blu? noted, currently it's only available for Rent/Buy, no subscription streaming service is currently carrying it.

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/a...inal-nightmare

If one has Roku the "Search" feature does the same. It shows all the streamers showing what you searched for.
Old 09-19-23, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
If one has Roku the "Search" feature does the same. It shows all the streamers showing what you searched for.
The Apple TV app does this as well.
Old 09-19-23, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...73e828aa12daf1

Max to add live sports.

I'm guessing it will be mostly Turner Sports simulcasts, which will benefit cord cutters.
Yeah I'm all in on the NBA, particularly if it includes all NBA on TNT stuff. Throw in AEW while you're at it, c'mon now.
Old 09-19-23, 03:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yeah I'm all in on the NBA, particularly if it includes all NBA on TNT stuff. Throw in AEW while you're at it, c'mon now.
Yeah…I have youtube tv so the live sports doesn’t do much for me…but if/when they add the AEW library, and some/all future ppvs, I’ll gladly pay the extra $10.
Old 09-19-23, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 351 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
So free until March Madness, then you pay.

That said, as you and others have pointed out, it's unlikely they'll have anything that you can't see on cable already.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.