Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio
Old 01-11-19, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread, moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

DC Universe streaming service

Old 02-05-19, 07:22 AM
  #301  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 15,804
re: DC Universe streaming service

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
It's kind of hard to compare CBS and DC. CBS has been around for a really really long time and has produced thousands of TV shows over the last half century. Does DC have 7,000 episodes of TV and 500 movies in their back catalog? No. They barely have any live action TV shows in their library. But, I do understand the issues about some movies being rotated out for no rhyme or reason other than maybe short term licensing and some other provider offering more $$$ to take it for xx number of months or years. But people saying no....they need to have every DC IP and it needs to stay forever are kidding themselves, especially only 4 months into launch. This service was designed from what I understand to be built around the original shows, which are slowly rolling out. 11 episodes of the newly produced Titans and 13 episodes of the newly produced first 1/2 season of Young Justice are a decent start IMO.
You're right, but once again: CBS is putting virtually everything they have the rights to on CBS Access, while DC Universe is putting about 10 percent of the Warners-owned superhero content they own on DC Universe at any one time. And CBS Access is CHEAPER ($60 per year vs. $75 per year).
Shannon Nutt is offline  
Old 02-09-19, 03:40 PM
  #302  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 53,140
re: DC Universe streaming service

DC Universe just posted the 2004-08 animated series The Batman yesterday


and remember Doom Patrol comes out next Friday. There's 15 episodes scheduled to air through the end of May according to the website. I presume Young Justice season 3 Part 2 will air shortly afterwards and then Swamp Thing.
DJariya is online now  
Old 02-12-19, 12:05 PM
  #303  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 25,580
re: DC Universe streaming service

So while talking about Friends moving to the new Warner streaming service, WarnerMedia chief creative officer Kevin Reilly said this:

Along with those hit sitcoms, the WarnerMedia streaming service — which still doesn’t have a name or a price point, but is set to launch in beta form by the end of the year — has its eye on CW shows like The Flash, Arrow and Riverdale that currently make Netflix their streaming home. The CW’s output deal with Netflix expires this spring, Reilly points out, and “we’re very interested in putting that on our platform.”
It doesn't seem like he's talking about moving it to DC Universe...
fujishig is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 02:52 PM
  #304  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 56,267
re: DC Universe streaming service

Yep. That's the vibe I got too. DC Universe should be getting them too along with WarnerMedia. A few shows have seasons on multiple platforms. I mean shit, I swear Star Trek shows have seasons on ALL streaming services.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 03:19 PM
  #305  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 25,580
re: DC Universe streaming service

Crap I quoted it but didn't post the article:
https://tvline.com/2019/02/11/friend...aming-service/

In that same article he says this:
And he’s not planning on sharing them with Netflix or any other competitors, either: “Sharing destination assets is not a good model. My belief is they should be exclusive to the service.”
Of course, this flies in the face of them offering HBO programming to, unless they are somehow going to remove HBO series from HBO Go, so maybe he's just talking external competitors? I still think it means RIP DC Universe, or at the very least some bundle options.
fujishig is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 04:50 PM
  #306  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 56,267
re: DC Universe streaming service

Shit, for DCU's $75 a year members should get grandfathered into WarnerMedia.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 05:04 PM
  #307  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 53,140
re: DC Universe streaming service

I don't think they're going to shut down DC Universe, especially since they have original shows planned through the end of 2019 in addition to renewing Titans for a 2nd season.

The wording in that story isn't really clear with WB's approach with the CW shows since not all of them are DC properties.
DJariya is online now  
Old 02-13-19, 07:57 AM
  #308  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 15,804
Re: DC Universe streaming service

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I don't think they're going to shut down DC Universe, especially since they have original shows planned through the end of 2019 in addition to renewing Titans for a 2nd season.

The wording in that story isn't really clear with WB's approach with the CW shows since not all of them are DC properties.
DC Universe is a good test-run for Warners on how NOT to launch a streaming service.
Shannon Nutt is offline  
Old 02-13-19, 09:15 AM
  #309  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 25,580
Re: DC Universe streaming service

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I don't think they're going to shut down DC Universe, especially since they have original shows planned through the end of 2019 in addition to renewing Titans for a 2nd season.

The wording in that story isn't really clear with WB's approach with the CW shows since not all of them are DC properties.
What makes you think the fact they're producing individual shows means they won't just roll that into the WB streaming service eventually? It would tick me off if I'm still paying for DC Universe and they move the CW DC shows to a different streaming service. Also, the WB service has no original content planned until at least next year, and rolling in these exclusives would help them get subscribers if they launch earlier than that.
fujishig is offline  
Old 02-13-19, 09:56 AM
  #310  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,367
Re: DC Universe streaming service

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
What makes you think the fact they're producing individual shows means they won't just roll that into the WB streaming service eventually? It would tick me off if I'm still paying for DC Universe and they move the CW DC shows to a different streaming service. Also, the WB service has no original content planned until at least next year, and rolling in these exclusives would help them get subscribers if they launch earlier than that.
But but but that doesn't make any sense because according to this message board and a random click bait article, DCU is a flop. How is a flop network going to get subscribers?
robin2099 is offline  
Old 02-13-19, 09:59 AM
  #311  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,404
Re: DC Universe streaming service

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
DC Universe is a good test-run for Warners on how NOT to launch a streaming service.
They already did that with Warner Brothers Archives.

It was so bad they cancelled it once,brought it back and cancelled it again.
dvd-4-life is offline  
Old 02-13-19, 10:55 AM
  #312  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,124
Re: DC Universe streaming service

I really canít believe they havenít expanded this to more platforms by now. Iíd give it a trial run or maybe even pay for a month if I could watch it on my Xbox. Itís been long enough where youíd think it would be on there as well as PlayStation.
Mike86 is offline  
Old 02-13-19, 01:15 PM
  #313  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 53,140
Re: DC Universe streaming service

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I really canít believe they havenít expanded this to more platforms by now. Iíd give it a trial run or maybe even pay for a month if I could watch it on my Xbox. Itís been long enough where youíd think it would be on there as well as PlayStation.
They just expanded to the Amazon Fire TV recently. They've pretty much covered all video only streaming devices.

However, the big stickler that many on the DC Universe message board complain about is no support for game consoles yet.
DJariya is online now  
Old 02-13-19, 01:20 PM
  #314  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 56,267
Re: DC Universe streaming service

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
They just expanded to the Amazon Fire TV recently. They've pretty much covered all video only streaming devices.

However, the big stickler that many on the DC Universe message board complain about is no support for game consoles yet.


And international availability.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 02-13-19, 01:23 PM
  #315  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 53,140
Re: DC Universe streaming service

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
And international availability.
Yes and No. Because DC sold the international rights to Netflix International. So it is available for international viewers (Original content only), but rolls out at a later date. I think Titans was just released to Netflix Int'l fairly recently.
DJariya is online now  
Old 02-13-19, 01:29 PM
  #316  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,124
Re: DC Universe streaming service

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
They just expanded to the Amazon Fire TV recently. They've pretty much covered all video only streaming devices.

However, the big stickler that many on the DC Universe message board complain about is no support for game consoles yet.
I feel like a lot of people use gaming consoles as streaming devices too though. I just would think at almost six months in those would be covered. I don't have a dedicated video streaming device as pretty much any streaming service I want to use has an app for my Xbox.
Mike86 is offline  
Old 02-13-19, 01:51 PM
  #317  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LorenzoL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 20,225
Re: DC Universe streaming service

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Yes and No. Because DC sold the international rights to Netflix International. So it is available for international viewers (Original content only), but rolls out at a later date. I think Titans was just released to Netflix Int'l fairly recently.
Netflix Canada has Titans but it was released after all of the S1 episodes has been released in the US as stated above.

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I feel like a lot of people use gaming consoles as streaming devices too though. I just would think at almost six months in those would be covered. I don't have a dedicated video streaming device as pretty much any streaming service I want to use has an app for my Xbox.
Even though I have an AppleTV 4K, my PS4 works much better as a video streaming device so I do also prefer an app on the PS4 too.
LorenzoL is offline  
Old 02-13-19, 03:15 PM
  #318  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,225
Re: DC Universe streaming service

If their original content moves to the Warner service eventually, I can see DCU continuing as just a comics app like Marvel Unlimited. I can’t see DC not offering it, now that it’s finally out there.
Tom Banjo is offline  
Old 02-13-19, 03:26 PM
  #319  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 25,580
Re: DC Universe streaming service

Speaking of, is there a way to view comics without downloading them (like Marvel Unlimited)?
fujishig is offline  
Old 02-13-19, 04:43 PM
  #320  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 56,267
Re: DC Universe streaming service

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Yes and No. Because DC sold the international rights to Netflix International. So it is available for international viewers (Original content only), but rolls out at a later date. I think Titans was just released to Netflix Int'l fairly recently.
I'm just telling you what I see in DC groups. People outside of the US complaining they can't get DC Universe...outside of the US.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 02-14-19, 12:02 AM
  #321  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,225
Re: DC Universe streaming service

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Speaking of, is there a way to view comics without downloading them (like Marvel Unlimited)?
Not that Iíve seen. Itís annoying.
Tom Banjo is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.