Deleted old wiki from another thread, moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

DC Universe streaming service

Old 02-05-19, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
re: DC Universe streaming service

Originally Posted by DJariya
It's kind of hard to compare CBS and DC. CBS has been around for a really really long time and has produced thousands of TV shows over the last half century. Does DC have 7,000 episodes of TV and 500 movies in their back catalog? No. They barely have any live action TV shows in their library. But, I do understand the issues about some movies being rotated out for no rhyme or reason other than maybe short term licensing and some other provider offering more $$$ to take it for xx number of months or years. But people saying no....they need to have every DC IP and it needs to stay forever are kidding themselves, especially only 4 months into launch. This service was designed from what I understand to be built around the original shows, which are slowly rolling out. 11 episodes of the newly produced Titans and 13 episodes of the newly produced first 1/2 season of Young Justice are a decent start IMO.
You're right, but once again: CBS is putting virtually everything they have the rights to on CBS Access, while DC Universe is putting about 10 percent of the Warners-owned superhero content they own on DC Universe at any one time. And CBS Access is CHEAPER ($60 per year vs. $75 per year).
Old 02-09-19, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

DC Universe just posted the 2004-08 animated series The Batman yesterday

and remember Doom Patrol comes out next Friday. There's 15 episodes scheduled to air through the end of May according to the website. I presume Young Justice season 3 Part 2 will air shortly afterwards and then Swamp Thing.
Old 02-12-19, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

So while talking about Friends moving to the new Warner streaming service, WarnerMedia chief creative officer Kevin Reilly said this:

Along with those hit sitcoms, the WarnerMedia streaming service — which still doesn’t have a name or a price point, but is set to launch in beta form by the end of the year — has its eye on CW shows like The Flash, Arrow and Riverdale that currently make Netflix their streaming home. The CW’s output deal with Netflix expires this spring, Reilly points out, and “we’re very interested in putting that on our platform.”
It doesn't seem like he's talking about moving it to DC Universe...
Old 02-12-19, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Yep. That's the vibe I got too. DC Universe should be getting them too along with WarnerMedia. A few shows have seasons on multiple platforms. I mean shit, I swear Star Trek shows have seasons on ALL streaming services.
Old 02-12-19, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Crap I quoted it but didn't post the article:
https://tvline.com/2019/02/11/friend...aming-service/

In that same article he says this:
And he’s not planning on sharing them with Netflix or any other competitors, either: “Sharing destination assets is not a good model. My belief is they should be exclusive to the service.”
Of course, this flies in the face of them offering HBO programming to, unless they are somehow going to remove HBO series from HBO Go, so maybe he's just talking external competitors? I still think it means RIP DC Universe, or at the very least some bundle options.
Old 02-12-19, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Shit, for DCU's $75 a year members should get grandfathered into WarnerMedia.
Old 02-12-19, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't think they're going to shut down DC Universe, especially since they have original shows planned through the end of 2019 in addition to renewing Titans for a 2nd season.

The wording in that story isn't really clear with WB's approach with the CW shows since not all of them are DC properties.
Old 02-13-19, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
Re: DC Universe streaming service

I don't think they're going to shut down DC Universe, especially since they have original shows planned through the end of 2019 in addition to renewing Titans for a 2nd season.

The wording in that story isn't really clear with WB's approach with the CW shows since not all of them are DC properties.
DC Universe is a good test-run for Warners on how NOT to launch a streaming service.
Old 02-13-19, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What makes you think the fact they're producing individual shows means they won't just roll that into the WB streaming service eventually? It would tick me off if I'm still paying for DC Universe and they move the CW DC shows to a different streaming service. Also, the WB service has no original content planned until at least next year, and rolling in these exclusives would help them get subscribers if they launch earlier than that.
Old 02-13-19, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
What makes you think the fact they're producing individual shows means they won't just roll that into the WB streaming service eventually? It would tick me off if I'm still paying for DC Universe and they move the CW DC shows to a different streaming service. Also, the WB service has no original content planned until at least next year, and rolling in these exclusives would help them get subscribers if they launch earlier than that.
But but but that doesn't make any sense because according to this message board and a random click bait article, DCU is a flop. How is a flop network going to get subscribers?
Old 02-13-19, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
DC Universe is a good test-run for Warners on how NOT to launch a streaming service.
They already did that with Warner Brothers Archives.

It was so bad they cancelled it once,brought it back and cancelled it again.
Old 02-13-19, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I really can’t believe they haven’t expanded this to more platforms by now. I’d give it a trial run or maybe even pay for a month if I could watch it on my Xbox. It’s been long enough where you’d think it would be on there as well as PlayStation.
Old 02-13-19, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Mike86
I really can’t believe they haven’t expanded this to more platforms by now. I’d give it a trial run or maybe even pay for a month if I could watch it on my Xbox. It’s been long enough where you’d think it would be on there as well as PlayStation.
They just expanded to the Amazon Fire TV recently. They've pretty much covered all video only streaming devices.

However, the big stickler that many on the DC Universe message board complain about is no support for game consoles yet.
Old 02-13-19, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

They just expanded to the Amazon Fire TV recently. They've pretty much covered all video only streaming devices.

However, the big stickler that many on the DC Universe message board complain about is no support for game consoles yet.

And international availability.
Old 02-13-19, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
And international availability.
Yes and No. Because DC sold the international rights to Netflix International. So it is available for international viewers (Original content only), but rolls out at a later date. I think Titans was just released to Netflix Int'l fairly recently.
Old 02-13-19, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I feel like a lot of people use gaming consoles as streaming devices too though. I just would think at almost six months in those would be covered. I don't have a dedicated video streaming device as pretty much any streaming service I want to use has an app for my Xbox.
Old 02-13-19, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Yes and No. Because DC sold the international rights to Netflix International. So it is available for international viewers (Original content only), but rolls out at a later date. I think Titans was just released to Netflix Int'l fairly recently.
Netflix Canada has Titans but it was released after all of the S1 episodes has been released in the US as stated above.

Originally Posted by Mike86
I feel like a lot of people use gaming consoles as streaming devices too though. I just would think at almost six months in those would be covered. I don't have a dedicated video streaming device as pretty much any streaming service I want to use has an app for my Xbox.
Even though I have an AppleTV 4K, my PS4 works much better as a video streaming device so I do also prefer an app on the PS4 too.
Old 02-13-19, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

If their original content moves to the Warner service eventually, I can see DCU continuing as just a comics app like Marvel Unlimited. I can’t see DC not offering it, now that it’s finally out there.
Old 02-13-19, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Speaking of, is there a way to view comics without downloading them (like Marvel Unlimited)?
Old 02-13-19, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm just telling you what I see in DC groups. People outside of the US complaining they can't get DC Universe...outside of the US.
Old 02-13-19, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Speaking of, is there a way to view comics without downloading them (like Marvel Unlimited)?
Not that I’ve seen. It’s annoying.
Old 02-28-19, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk God

The 1970's Shazam TV show will be on DC Universe Tuesday. It's supposedly re-mastered in HD

Old 02-28-19, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, by the way they added this functionality (to view comics without downloading them) but the app is still kind of crappy. Maybe 50% of the time if I just follow the links to go from issue to issue, a black screen will come up and I won't be able to do anything until I force close the app (on ios).
Old 02-28-19, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk God

New March content announcement:

If you thought what DC Universe had to offer in its first six months was exciting, you ain't seen nothing yet... The premiere online destination for DC fans is proud to announce its slate of content for March 2019, with plenty of new TV shows, movies, and comic books for fans to enjoy -- including just what you need to get you ready for Batman's 80th anniversary and the April 5th release of the latest DC theatrical film, Shazam!

For starters, we've got new episodes of our latest original live-action show, the critically acclaimed Doom Patrol, arriving every Friday this month. That's four more hours of Robotman, Crazy Jane, and all your other favorite freakish heroes. Plus, on March 5th, we'll be presenting all three seasons of Shazam!, Filmation's 1974 live-action TV series starring the World's Mightiest Mortal, Captain Marvel (as he was then known). Moreover, you'll be able to watch Shazam! (pictured above) for the first time ever in HD!

As far as movies go, get ready to celebrate Batman's 80th anniversary month in style... March 1st will mark the DC Universe debut of the animated The Batman vs. Dracula and Batman & Mr. Freeze:Sub Zero, along with the return to DC Universe of Batman: Under the RedHood and Batman: Year One. Other films returning on March 1st include Justice League vs. Teen Titans, Justice League: Crisison Two Earths, Justice League: Doom, Justice League: Gods& Monsters, and Justice League: TheNew Frontier.

To make your Batman anniversary celebration even more spectacular, we're adding some of the greatest Batman comics ever created. Get set for the complete "Knightfall" trilogy, with the epic "Knightfall", "Knightquest", and "Knightsend" storylines all arriving on March 5th, along with the Rebirth run of Detective Comics (issues #934-974). A week later, on March 12th, you can experience the classic Jim Lee-illustrated "Hush" and the bestselling "Bruce Wayne: Murderer?" March 19th will bring all issues of Batman & Robin: Eternal. And March 26th offers a fitting cap to the month with the beloved "Year One" and "Year Two" storylines and writer Neil Gaiman's two-parter "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?"

Last but not least, don't forget to check out DC Universe's own daily news show DC Daily in March. The show will feature special guest panelist LaMonica Garrett (a.k.a. The Monitor in the CW's Arrowverse shows) and the return of the ever-popular John Barrowman. DC Daily will also have behind-the-scenes features on the Shazam! TV series and comics to get you ready for the upcoming feature film starring Zachary Levi.
Old 03-01-19, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Still weird to have things returning to such a new service. Do they remove comics too? I was reading Wildstorm and saw that they basically stopped with the issue that came out about a year ago, so I'm curious if they add new issues every month.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.