Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Netflix - News & Discussion

Old 01-03-19, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Netflix - News & Discussion

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Iím sure itís here somewhere, but how many people can I share my account with and in different houses. My mom and dad use it now, but also wanted trusted friend to as well...
regular account is only supposed to be 2 screens.
Premium is up to 4.

im sure you could simply log into your account and see that info but why would you do that I guess.
Old 01-03-19, 09:48 PM
Inane Thread Master

Originally Posted by whotony View Post

regular account is only supposed to be 2 screens.
Premium is up to 4.

im sure you could simply log into your account and see that info but why would you do that I guess.
is that simultaneously you mean? Because I know at least 4 TVs play my Netflix and I have profiles for 3 (including mine) and donít have premium package...
Old 01-03-19, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Premium is 4 simultaneous streams, it doesn't care how many systems it's on.
Old 01-03-19, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes at the same time.
Old 01-15-19, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Netflix is raising prices. This was inevitable

https://deadline.com/2019/01/netflix...rs-1202535366/

The least expensive Netflix plan, Basic, will now cost $9, up from $8. The company’s most popular option, HD Standard, will now cost $13, up from $11, while 4K Premium plan will cost $16, up from $14. Customers in about 40 Latin America countries where Netflix bills in U.S. currency will also be affected, excepting key international markets such as Mexico and Brazil.
​​​​​​​I have the 4K premium plan, so yeah now $16/month.
Old 01-15-19, 10:31 AM

Netflix is raising its U.S. prices by 13 percent to 18 percent, its biggest increase since the company launched its streaming service 12 years ago.

Its most popular plan will see the largest hike, to $13 per month from $11. That option offers high-definition streaming on up to two different internet-connected devices simultaneously. Even at the higher price, that plan is still a few dollars cheaper than HBO, whose streaming service charges $15 per month.

The extra cash will help to pay for Netflix’s huge investment in original shows and films and finance the heavy debt it has assumed to ward off rivals such as Amazon, Disney and AT&T.

This marks the fourth time that Netflix has raised its U.S. prices; the last hike came in late 2017 . But this is the first time that higher prices will hit all 58 million U.S. subscribers, the number Netflix reported at the end of September.

Previously, Netflix had continued to offer a basic, $8-a-month streaming plan while raising rates on more comprehensive plans with better video quality and options to watch simultaneously on different devices.

This time, the price for the cheapest plan is going up to $9 per month. A premium plan offering ultra-high definition will jump to $16 per month from $14.

The new prices will immediately affect all new subscribers and then roll out to existing customers during the next three months. Customers in about 40 Latin America countries where Netflix bills in U.S. currency will also be affected, excepting key international markets such as Mexico and Brazil.

Netflix had nearly 79 million subscribers outside the U.S. as of September.

Higher prices could alienate subscribers and possibly even trigger a wave of cancelations. For instance, Netflix faced a huge backlash in 2011 when it unbundled video streaming from its older DVD-by-mail service, resulting in a 60 percent price increase for subscribers who wanted to keep both plans. Netflix lost 600,000 subscribers after that switch.

The company is now betting it can gradually raise its prices, bolstered by a string of acclaimed hits during that past five years that have included “House of Cards,” ″Orange Is The New Black,” ″Stranger Things,” ″The Crown” and, most recently, the film “Bird Box.”

“We change pricing from time to time as we continue investing in great entertainment and improving the overall Netflix experience,” the company said in a statement.

Consumers also have an increasing array of other streaming options .

Amazon offers a streaming service as part of its Prime shipping program for $13 per month, or $120 for an annual membership. Hulu sells an ad-free service for $12 per month. AT&T’s WarnerMedia unit plans a broader streaming service this year centered on HBO. Walt Disney is gearing up to launch a streaming channel this year.

With Apple also widely expected to join the video-streaming fray, the competition for programming is enabling top directors, writers and actors to charge more for their talents. That has intensified financial pressure on Netflix, which hasn’t been bringing in enough money to pay for all its programming and other business expenses.

The company burned through about $3 billion last year and is expecting to do so again this year. To offset the negative cash flow, Netflix has been borrowing heavily to pay for programming. The Los Gatos, California, company had accumulated nearly $12 billion in debt before borrowing another $2 billion in an October bond offering.

Concerns about the stiffening competition and Netflix’s ability to sustain its current leadership in video streaming has caused the company’s stock price to slide by 21 percent from its peak of $423.21 reached last June. The shares stood at $332.94 heading into Tuesday’s trading session.
https://www.apnews.com/76214d0d5b1a4d0890a2d3040a3ddb33
Old 01-15-19, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We pay the $11 a month.

Just since January 1st, we've blown through Travelers Season 3 and A Series of Unfortunate Events. Wife watches The Crown about once a week. Punisher is coming up, and I saw a pretty interesting Chinese movie called the Chronicles of the Ghostly Tribe. Oh, and have been catching up on Dark Matter Season 3.

Yeah, we can find another couple of bucks a month for this.
Old 01-15-19, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just finished Diablero (Spanish Supernatural) and I'm about to watch the Punisher, but these pricks already pissed me off by canceling Daredevil and are pushing it with these increases. Next one might be it for me.
Old 01-15-19, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well the good thing about this is it’s not a subscription so you can cancel and rejoin anytime.
every other month cuts the price in half.
Old 01-15-19, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And I'll gladly pay it. It's worth it.
Old 01-15-19, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They know they have people hooked. They don't even have any kind of discount for paying a year in advance, or any lock in (other than the slower rollout) for legacy customers. For most services, if they didn't have a discount, I would just cut them and resubscribe every once in a while, but Netflix knows they have enough content to keep people around.
Old 01-15-19, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
And I'll gladly pay it. It's worth it.
Ditto. I ditched cable a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. Between Netflix and Amazon (and some broadcast network series), I've got more than enough quality shows to watch.
Old 01-16-19, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cellar Door View Post
Ditto. I ditched cable a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. Between Netflix and Amazon (and some broadcast network series), I've got more than enough quality shows to watch.
I'm in a different spot since I have more than Netflix/Amazon and now cable starts looking more and more attractive to me. It was fine when there were a few of these streaming companies, but now every studio wants in because they think their content is quality, top-rated shit.

In 5 years, I bet Hallmark tells dish to go fuck themselves and decides to offer their own, standalone streaming service.
Old 01-16-19, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep. The problem with so many streaming services, is that it IS becoming more and more like cable. You'll have to subscribe to each one (aka choose each channel).

The more there are, the more content will get pulled from existing streaming services and released on their own.
Old 01-16-19, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by candyrocket786 View Post

In 5 years, I bet Hallmark tells dish to go fuck themselves and decides to offer their own, standalone streaming service.
https://www.hmnow.com/prices-membership

Already exists.

Old 01-16-19, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

...we truly are in the end times.
Old 01-16-19, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
Yep. The problem with so many streaming services, is that it IS becoming more and more like cable. You'll have to subscribe to each one (aka choose each channel).

The more there are, the more content will get pulled from existing streaming services and released on their own.
As long as they don't pull the exclusive content off, it's not like cable. You can subscribe, binge watch/catch up, and unsubscribe at any time. It's not like you're missing out on watercooler discussion these days, with a few notable exceptions like GoT.
Old 01-16-19, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
As long as they don't pull the exclusive content off, it's not like cable. You can subscribe, binge watch/catch up, and unsubscribe at any time. It's not like you're missing out on watercooler discussion these days, with a few notable exceptions like GoT.
I wasn't referring to the 'way' you watch, but to the idea that you need a bunch of different 'channels' (actually more like cable packages), to cover the content you want. The fewer streaming providers, the less likely it is that the content you want will mean having to subscribe to another streaming service.

The bright side is, there are services that offer content that others were not offering, like Criterion films (in Canada). Although we do have access to a limited number of those through one of the channel packages to which I'm currently subscribed, through my cable provider.
Old 01-18-19, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/18/inves...ock/index.html

Netflix is burning through cash like crazy.

Some business analyst thinks their spending isn't sustainable. But, they aren't in any financial trouble as of right now.
Old 01-18-19, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I remember way back in the day when they started focusing on streaming, I thought their business would collapse because they were at the complete mercy of the content providers, and if streaming got big the content providers would either pull their stuff or charge an arm and a leg. Never thought their original content would get so big, but then again they are spending big on it. To me the true test will be when Disney pulls out.