Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Netflix - News & Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-14, 05:07 PM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts
Re: Netflix - News & Discussion

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I have tried every setting on my BD player and PS3 plus the settings on Netflix but every time I try to stream something the first 4 or 5 minutes start out in 280p and then it slowly works its way up to 1080. Is this normal or is AT&T just fucking with me?
A similar thing happens on my Roku. Usually it starts out in low SD quality and ramps up to HD. But it only last around 30 seconds. On my AppleTV, it starts out in HD quality. But the stream buffers for about 15-20 seconds before it starts playing.

Have you tried contacting Netflix? They will ask you to reboot the modem, router and device (so you should do that before using their online chat support). Then they'll watch a video with you for a couple minutes and monitor the data. They might spot the problem or have some tips on how to improve your quality. Or they might just tell you to contact AT&T.
Old 06-15-14, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 344 Posts

I will contact Netflix. Vudu works flawlessly for me so I just found it strange that it is just Netflix.
Old 06-16-14, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

That is unusually long, on Comcast it takes about 15 seconds go from 280p to 1080p. Sounds like an ISP issue.
Old 06-16-14, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
A similar thing happens on my Roku. Usually it starts out in low SD quality and ramps up to HD. But it only last around 30 seconds. On my AppleTV, it starts out in HD quality. But the stream buffers for about 15-20 seconds before it starts playing.

Have you tried contacting Netflix? They will ask you to reboot the modem, router and device (so you should do that before using their online chat support). Then they'll watch a video with you for a couple minutes and monitor the data. They might spot the problem or have some tips on how to improve your quality. Or they might just tell you to contact AT&T.
DSL? Cuz they might be throttling you down when they recognize the signal as Netflix, but with the Roku it somehow does not recognize the Netflix signal and lets it go through.
Old 06-16-14, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've been having similar issues with mine, my BR player and Smart TV both have trouble getting above 720p, and sometimes even above SD. I think it's my wifi signal which must be weaker, but it seams to be able to do Vudu at 1080p, at least most of the time.
Old 06-17-14, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds like an ISP issue. Netflix has the bandwidth and resources.
Old 06-20-14, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I am not really a fan of hers, but I am happy to see Netflix develop more and more original programming.
http://www.journalgazette.net/articl...9950/1011/FEAT

NEW YORK – Netflix is expanding its empire of original content with a talk show to be hosted by Chelsea Handler.

The online TV network said Thursday that the outspoken comedian’s new show will begin in early 2016. It will update the format of her E! talk show, “Chelsea Lately,” but will retain the comedic focus on entertainment and cultural issues, Netflix said. No other details were provided.

Handler, 39, will end the seven-year run of “Chelsea Lately” on Aug. 26.

Her deal with Netflix begins with a standup performance premiering Oct. 10. Based on her tour “Uganda Be Kidding Me,” the special will be taped today in Chicago.

In 2015, she will create four docu-comedy specials on NASCAR, politics, Silicon Valley and the NBA draft.

“If I was going to continue working in this industry, I knew I had to do something outside the box to keep myself interested,” she explained Thursday.
Old 06-24-14, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by BearFan
I am not really a fan of hers, but I am happy to see Netflix develop more and more original programming.
http://www.journalgazette.net/articl...9950/1011/FEAT
Didn't Amazon try to do this a few years ago? The host was Dave Foley or someone like that. You could watch it at Amazon's web site. It went nowhere, but streaming might make all the difference.
Old 06-25-14, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RichC2
Sounds like an ISP issue. Netflix has the bandwidth and resources.
I contacted my ISP, but they're blaming Netlfix, their test has my wifi running at about 3.7 Mbps. I think there's another issue, but the account is technically my parents', so I don't have access to some of the personal information they're asking for either. The traffic for it isn't that bad-my brother's X-Box uses it from time-to-time, but he isn't always in the house, my dad only uses it on the Smart TV periodically, and I usually know when he does, and I haven't been using my Blu player lately because my bedroom is so damn hot. The only other things on it are smartphones. Vudu will get up to 1080p, but I've been noticing blurring with that too.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 06-26-14 at 08:07 AM.
Old 06-26-14, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I contacted my ISP, but they're blaming Netlfix, their test has my wifi rerunning at about 3.7 Mbps. I think there's another issue, but the account is technically my parents', so I don't have access to some of the personal information they're asking for either. The traffic for it isn't that bad-my brother's X-Box uses it from time-to-time, but he isn't always in the house, my dad only uses it on the Smart TV periodically, and I usually know when he does, and I haven't been using my Blu player lately because my bedroom is so damn hot. The only other things on it are smartphones. Vudu will get up to 1080p, but I've been noticing blurring with that too.
No ISP will ever admit to throttling Netflix because it makes them look bad - they immediately blame Netflix and then you hear about these backdoor deals like Comcast had. Vudu uses more bandwidth than Netflix and 3.7mbps is slow so I wouldn't be surprised by some blurring.
Old 06-26-14, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed that a lot of PBS programming was listed as "expires on 7/1" but now, I don't see that any more.

Did they strike a deal with Netflix? Or is this just a glitch?
Old 06-26-14, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RichC2
No ISP will ever admit to throttling Netflix because it makes them look bad - they immediately blame Netflix and then you hear about these backdoor deals like Comcast had. Vudu uses more bandwidth than Netflix and 3.7mbps is slow so I wouldn't be surprised by some blurring.
Any way besides a VPN I don't want to pay for to speed it up properly? I'm sure that throttling goes on all the time and as you say, all providers would deny it.
Old 06-26-14, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Any way besides a VPN I don't want to pay for to speed it up properly? I'm sure that throttling goes on all the time and as you say, all providers would deny it.
Not really unless you go the VPN route. I've seen estimates that Netflix at peak hours is something like 35% of all Internet bandwidth. The ISPs want payouts from Netflix, which is why Netflix was by far the biggest victim when Net Neutrality died.

Netflix on Verizon was a terrible experience for months and has only slightly improved since they got paid.
Old 06-27-14, 01:08 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
I noticed that a lot of PBS programming was listed as "expires on 7/1" but now, I don't see that any more.

Did they strike a deal with Netflix? Or is this just a glitch?
Deal, really enjoy the ken burns docs
Old 07-19-14, 07:06 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Has anybody ever experienced this problem that occured for me last night...

while trying to watch 'OITNB' on Netflix, I get a purple screen with the following message across it 'HDCP Unauthorized Content Disabled', but the sound is perfectly fine in the background. I tried different channels and got the same message right across the board.

I unplugged the power, HDMI, and switched out the HDMI cables...and my last action was to leave it unplugged all night and still I get the same message when I hooked it back up this morning
Old 07-19-14, 10:00 AM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by DVDMagic
while trying to watch 'OITNB' on Netflix, I get a purple screen with the following message across it 'HDCP Unauthorized Content Disabled', but the sound is perfectly fine in the background. I tried different channels and got the same message right across the board.

I unplugged the power, HDMI, and switched out the HDMI cables...and my last action was to leave it unplugged all night and still I get the same message when I hooked it back up this morning
I think this is usually an HDMI handshake problem. Since you've already tried rebooting the device and swapping HDMI cable, you should test the HDMI ports. Try using different inputs and try the device on a different TV.

I had this problem a couple years ago and it turned out the HDMI port on my TV was failing.
Old 07-19-14, 01:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Netflix tests private viewing mode: http://gigaom.com/2014/07/18/netflix...-movie-binges/
Old 07-19-14, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Zombie Ass: Toilet of the Dead, here I come!
Old 07-20-14, 12:26 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I think this is usually an HDMI handshake problem. Since you've already tried rebooting the device and swapping HDMI cable, you should test the HDMI ports. Try using different inputs and try the device on a different TV.

I had this problem a couple years ago and it turned out the HDMI port on my TV was failing.
I hooked up an old Roku player I had using the same HDMI cables and have had no issues. I'll try hooking up the Roku 3 next time I have some time to dedicate to it.

I had the issue a couples weeks ago and after turning it on and off it appeared to have fixed the problem. But then the other night the actual menu was missing half the content and only 3 of my 35 channels were showing up.

Hopefully just a glitch
Old 07-20-14, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by DVDMagic
I hooked up an old Roku player I had using the same HDMI cables and have had no issues. I'll try hooking up the Roku 3 next time I have some time to dedicate to it.

I had the issue a couples weeks ago and after turning it on and off it appeared to have fixed the problem. But then the other night the actual menu was missing half the content and only 3 of my 35 channels were showing up.

Hopefully just a glitch
It could be a flaky ROKU unit going bad. While ROKUs have a lot of cool features, I've found they are some of the most unreliable consumer electronics hardware I've dealt with.
Old 07-20-14, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know why Netflix didn't just allow us to clear or turn off history before. If you stop the movie as the credits come down and then come back to it later wanting to watch from the beginning you're back at the end credits.
Old 07-20-14, 01:54 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
I don't know why Netflix didn't just allow us to clear or turn off history before. If you stop the movie as the credits come down and then come back to it later wanting to watch from the beginning you're back at the end credits.
On my apps, on xbox 360 and sony blu-ray player, it gives you the option of starting from the beginning or resume where you left off.
Old 07-26-14, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Seinfeld Might Be Coming to Netflix!
By Shawn Christ
July 25, 2014 | 1:00pm

The TV gods are smiling down upon us all—Netflix is in talks to acquire Seinfeld.

Yesterday during Jerry Seinfeld’s Reddit AMA, a commenter asked the big question. “Jerry, any word on Seinfeld coming to Netflix?“Can you please convince Larry to let it happen? There are so many people who still have not experienced Seinfeld first hand and having it available through Netflix will surely be the easiest way. C’monnnnnnnnnnn.”

“You are a very smart and progressive person. These conversations are presently taking place,” Seinfeld responded.

Conversations can mean a lot of things though. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. Nothing has been verified on Netflix’s end either. These rumors are making me anxious!

Another interesting tidbit from the AMA came in the form of a new Upright Citizen’s Brigade Seinfeld parody show. This is gold, reader. Gold!
http://www.pastemagazine.com/article...o-netflix.html

This would be pretty big if it pans out. Especially for me, since I cut the cord (no more TBS!) and stopped getting the DVDs after the first few seasons.

It's exclusively streaming on Sony's Crackle, right? I wonder how much Netflix would have to throw at them to at least get them to share.
Old 07-26-14, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Crackle doesn't put all the eps up. They rotate them.
Old 07-26-14, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I noticed that, which would make this possible Netflix deal even better.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.