Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Netflix - News & Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-24, 02:14 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: Netflix - News & Discussion

I don’t mind ads. Gives me a chance to pee or eat or check dvdtalk. I’m not losing any time even if ads were half the running time, it’s not like I’m sitting there watching the ads or doing nothing.
Old 01-31-24, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

I despise ads but can take them in small quantities if I have to for TV shows.

I cannot tolerate them for movies. Only if they show ads before the movie and during the credits. Ads were the main reason I never watched movies on ordinary cable channels, even as a kid, unless they were ad-free pay channels like HBO and Showtime. Well...that and they were usually edited for content and the wrong aspect ratio.

The main issues I have with watching ads for TV shows on these channels is the break-in at unnatural time and the volume of them will literally blow us out of the room. Hulu is the worst culprit for me when it comes to sound. I believe the biggest issue (at least on Hulu) is that you go from a program that is being broadcast in 5.1 and it suddenly goes to stereo for the ads. Add that to whatever levels they have set on their side, and it is annoying and loud as fuck.

Old 02-01-24, 08:07 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

In 2024, get ready for what’s next …on Netflix. With the return of favorites like Squid Game, Bridgerton, The Diplomat, Umbrella Academy, Rebel Moon and Beverly Hills Cop, and brand-new shows and movies like 3 Body Problem, Avatar, Back in Action, and Atlas, here is your first look at some of Netflix’s biggest shows, movies and events.
Old 02-01-24, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 437 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
The main issues I have with watching ads for TV shows on these channels is the break-in at unnatural time and the volume of them will literally blow us out of the room. Hulu is the worst culprit for me when it comes to sound. I believe the biggest issue (at least on Hulu) is that you go from a program that is being broadcast in 5.1 and it suddenly goes to stereo for the ads. Add that to whatever levels they have set on their side, and it is annoying and loud as fuck.
That's been an issue on broadcast/cable for a long time... getting blasted by the commercials being so much louder than the show. It's a "feature"
Old 02-01-24, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Meathead
That's been an issue on broadcast/cable for a long time... getting blasted by the commercials being so much louder than the show. It's a "feature"
You'd think after 50 years these morons would have figured it out by now. That's why if a movie has ads I'll just stop it completely and watch something else (which is also why I have a large movie collection to resort to). Hopefully Prime is taking note of my actions.
Old 02-01-24, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 437 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
You'd think after 50 years these morons would have figured it out by now. That's why if a movie has ads I'll just stop it completely and watch something else (which is also why I have a large movie collection to resort to). Hopefully Prime is taking note of my actions.
I have figured a lot of times it is on purpose so the ads stand out.
Old 02-01-24, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

I mute commercials when watching broadcast TV. I have the with ads plan for Peacock and I haven't noticed the commercials being louder than the program, thankfully.
Old 02-01-24, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 187 Posts

Yeah peacock doesn’t do that. Youtube on the other hand ….
Old 02-08-24, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

The UK Netflix show Fool Me Once was No. 1 on the Nielsen streaming charts. I watched it and liked it. But I didn’t do a thread here because I figured interest would be minimal. Did anyone else watch it?

Old 02-08-24, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,021 Likes on 843 Posts

No, but it looked interesting so I added it to my list.
Old 02-08-24, 06:41 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The UK Netflix show Fool Me Once was No. 1 on the Nielsen streaming charts. I watched it and liked it. But I didn’t do a thread here because I figured interest would be minimal. Did anyone else watch it?

https://x.com/deadline/status/175572...ROaaX6I5S_8l2Q
Finished last week. Liked it but I get a little annoyed at little things in these shows. Example: Stay away from the mother-in law. She's rich, a shrink, wants to see the granchild, she's gonna try to commit you and take custody. That didn't happen but it kept running in my mind.

Another is "The Stranger" 👍🏻
Old 02-19-24, 09:27 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 536 Likes on 472 Posts

Netflix (https://www.netflix.com/title/81444554) is streaming Nimona on YouTube

Old 03-12-24, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk God

I got my 1st bill on my T-Mobile account with the Netflix upcharge for the ad free plan. It was an extra $8.50 added.

In the grand scheme of things, that's not expensive. No 4K, who cares and there's only 2 streams. No big deal. Better than the free ad plan that also blocks some content. There was no way that I was going to stay on that plan. Better just pay the upcharge.
Old 03-12-24, 09:24 PM

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,133 Posts

I got a little frustrated that someone in our household just couldn't give me one hour to end a work meeting so I could login and upgrade our Netflix account with T-Mobile to avoid the ad tier turnover. Instead of watching Prime, Paramount, Peacock, Pluto, Disney, Hulu, Roku, or I don't know, read a book, they just had to watch Netflix right away and ended up being forced to enter a TON of personal demographic information per profile for the ad-supported tier that we've never had to submit before, like our genders, birthdays, etc. I am NOT happy that yet another service knows that much more about us because someone literally couldn't wait 60 minutes for me to log in.

Typing all that, I think I'm not a little frustrated, it's at least medium. Or a lot.
Old 03-13-24, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Well on the "bright" side they probably already had all of that information on you they just wanted to request it formally...
Old 03-29-24, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Is this going to be the worst thing to ever debut on Netflix? it might be.
Old 03-30-24, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

I switched my Netflix to with ads, and now I see some content is locked because it is unavailable with ads.
Old 04-02-24, 11:30 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

We'll see if some of the film offerings improve with a new head of film...

It’s a familiar arc in movies: The person who doesn’t want the job is the best candidate for it. And so it was with Dan Lin, the producer and founder of Rideback, who this week starts his tenure as Netflix‘s film head.

Lin was not looking for a new job, but then came an incoming call in early February from Netflix’s chief content officer, Bela Bajaria. According to two people familiar with the meeting that followed, Lin was blunt in his assessment of Netflix’s output: The movies were not great and the financials didn’t add up. Bajaria appreciated the honesty and, shortly after, she asked Lin if he would be open to leaving Rideback, the company the producer had spent the better part of two decades building.

Lin had been down this path before, being courted for a top studio post at a division in desperate need of a strong hand. In 2022, he was in negotiations to lead DC’s film and TV efforts at Warner Bros., the company where he got his start on projects like The Departed. But he walked away, in part, because it was unclear how Rideback would be incorporated into his prospective new role.

But Bajaria was able to convince Lin that the upside to him taking the Netflix job could be huge, according to sources. At Netflix, Lin would run a division that makes far more titles than any traditional studio, and he will command a budget far superior to anything available in contemporary Hollywood. “He is in charge of film for the biggest film supplier in the world” says one producer. Then there’s the pay. Though salary details were not available, as the source notes, “The money would be hard to replicate, even for a successful producer,” even if the job ends up only lasting a few years.

The prospects were enough for Lin to take the job — retaining a stake in Rideback but otherwise leaving things to partner Jonathan Eirich and Rideback COO Michael LoFaso as the new co-CEOs.

There is a definite upside for Netflix, too — getting a well-liked, even-keeled film head with slate-building experience. The streaming wars have been waged. Netflix, the victor and the great disrupter of Hollywood, now needs stability. It has already been well reported that Netflix has wanted to get into the “fewer, bigger, better” business for some time, and Lin, who has a reputation for coming in on budget, may be the executive to finally get them there.

At Rideback, Lin found himself in the unique position (at least by 2024 Hollywood standards) of sitting atop a production company that works across studio lots and manages multiple successful franchises. Rideback has made hits out of the seemingly unadaptable (Lego bricks, steampunk Sherlock Holmes) and has taken already valuable IP and made it even more valuable (It, Aladdin). Yes, there have been some stumbles, like last summer’s Haunted Mansion and Jo Koy comedy Easter Sunday, but these are outnumbered by the successes.

As for what Lin is walking into, Netflix’s structure has long been a source of Hollywood puzzlement. There are the complaints about pitching one project to multiple groups in the same division and bottlenecks with executives spread too thin. Over the past year, the company’s film arm entered a state of greater uncertainty due to executive departures and reorgs.

Netflix has been preparing for this new leadership era for months, with a Scott Stuber exit rumored for over a year. For the better half of the past year, insiders have complained that Netflix has greenlit few original films — even considering the work stoppages caused by last year’s writers and actors strikes. Up until very recently, Guillermo del Toro’s starry Frankenstein was one of the few films shooting. Still, Netflix has remained active in acquiring finished films for hefty price tags, including Glen Powell action comedy Hit Man out of TIFF and Sundance thriller It’s What’s Inside.

Internally, Lin’s appointment was met with positivity and the hope that the executive will offer direction and a kick-start to productions.

Then there’s the Netflix slate. Stuber joined in 2017 with the mandate to build up the streamer’s originals library and jump-start its tentpole ambitions. The division, thanks to Stuber, was able to court top filmmaking talent. It also touted the release of “a new movie every week” during a period of rapid growth when Netflix had to prove its staying power to both subscribers and investors. But gone are the days when Netflix would fork over seemingly unlimited budgets, paying large fees to filmmakers to make up for backends. Lin “can make movies for the right price,” as one top talent rep put it.

Tentpole franchises, seen as a way to reduce subscriber churn, have remained nominal at Netflix, where Extraction is the most notable film series. Per the company, Extraction 2 has become the 10th most popular original movie of all time for the streamer, and the third installment was announced last summer. Outside of this, there are two Enola Holmes films and an Old Guard sequel that is expected this year. Zack Snyder’s Rebel Moon, which is planned as a multifilm series, debuted in mid-December to nearly half the viewership that Julia Roberts starrer Leave the World Behind premiered to weeks earlier. Snyder’s sequel, The Scargiver, arrives April 19.

After officially taking the Netflix job, Lin is said to have spent time pouring over reams of viewership data: minutes watched, audience habits, likes and dislikes. The Harvard MBA apparently will now have the ability to use hard data to shape the biggest film slate in Hollywood.

According to insiders, the Lin-era Netflix film slate will be made up of a majority of midsized offerings, with the streamer having found its biggest hits with comedies, rom-coms and family films. Scattered in there will be a handful of big movies and requisite awards contenders. Though the slate may be smaller than those working with Netflix are accustomed, the industry, which has been hearing about Netflix belt tightening for the better part of the past year, won’t pin smaller paydays on Lin.

The executive, who has been described by those who have worked with him as “low key” and “humble,” will write Netflix’s film operation’s newest chapter — but don’t expect fanfare. Said one agency head, “He’s not enthralled by the trappings of a studio job.” After all, he didn’t need it to begin with
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...ss-1235836814/
Old 04-03-24, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Is this going to be the worst thing to ever debut on Netflix? it might be.
https://x.com/bomani_jones/status/17..._jUbTE9JlDGUjQ
Probably not even in the top twenty. There's a ton of absolute shit on Netflix.

I hate to admit it, but I laughed too many times during that trailer.

Wonder how much they paid Curry to put his name on it to try to deflect accusations of racism...

...considering the comments on the video, it wasn't enough.

Old 04-09-24, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk God

The two produced seasons of Heels, which starred Stephen Amell, got picked up by Netflix. There is a slim possibility if it does well on the service that it could get more. But, Amell has already moved on to Suits: LA on NBC. And Ludwig has also moved on to another show. I would say don’t count on it.

The following users liked this post:
Dan1boy (04-09-24)
Old 04-11-24, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

If there is ONE thing I wish Netflix would do, it would be to bring back Warrior for at least one more season.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rob V:
Cellar Door (04-11-24), Dan1boy (04-11-24), MLBFan24 (04-12-24)