Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

The Roku Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-23, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 891 Likes on 654 Posts
Re: The Roku Thread

I actually wouldn't mind being able to start a show from the home page, but my Roku doesn't have that.
Old 08-02-23, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 155 Likes on 122 Posts

Roku Ultra 2020. I see "Continue Watching" row under Recommended when I select the left hand menu "What to Watch". I don't however see Continue Watching titles above the Apps menu in Home as in your picture.

Looking in the settings menu for the Home Screen I don't see any settings that would create a continue watching above the Apps.
Old 08-02-23, 06:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I actually wouldn't mind being able to start a show from the home page, but my Roku doesn't have that.
It's convenient for me to skip some steps. The only annoying thing is that you still have to watch the App's opening splash screen when you click on a show. So it's actually opening the app but then takes you immediately to your show.
Old 08-02-23, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 666 Likes on 463 Posts

I have a Roku Express 4K+ and don't see this.

However, I found this thread on the Roku forums complaining about it, and one person giving steps on how to remove it:
https://community.roku.com/t5/Featur...en/td-p/894172
Roku implemented this for third party apps to gather information on what is watched to bring users back to the third party app. Google "continue watching Roku developers". To get rid of it, I did the following and it worked:

1. Press * for Options on each show in continue watching and select hide or remove (don't recall word used).

2. Press * for Options on the Add Channels and Sleep Timer icons on Home Screen and remove. This removes all shortcuts on Home Screen, which Continue Watching fell under.

3. Go into Settings-Home screen and hide What to Watch, Featured Free and Shortcuts.

4. I also removed the Roku channel icon, pressed * for Options on the ad to right of Home Screen and selected hide, reset advertising identifier under Settings-Privacy-Advertising and deselected Personalized Ads and Smart TV Experience, and went to each third party app home page to login and deselect sharing of information with third parties. Not sure all of this was necessary, but Roku obligates the the third parties to obtain a user's consent to show the Continue Watching on Roku.
It may be a new feature based on a Roku OS update. My Roku Express 4K+ hasn't had an update since 5/13/2023, and the software is on version 12.0.0 build 4184-CR .They could be rolling out an update to different models at different times, and/or rolling out slowly to the same model over time.
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (08-03-23)
Old 08-27-23, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

I haven't noticed that either. I can see it being useful depending on how many things it stores there, and if it lets you continue with the next item in a playlist, not just things you're actually not finished with. My wife always asks, "Where is Program X?" so if it had the things she was watching there, that would be great.

My Roku Streaming Stick + has been saying "Your Roku device is overheating" more and more recently. Yesterday we continued watching something after that warning and the sound started cutting out a little. We did turn it off before long. It seems to do it mostly on MAX which makes me think Max is not as efficient an app (at least that's where I've noticed it, I'll try to monitor more.) Is Overheating a potential sign of the Roku stick failing? The thing is almost 5 years old and admittedly does get a decent bit of use. Should I be proactive and replace it, or is this normal-ish?
Old 08-27-23, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tonyc3742
My Roku Streaming Stick + has been saying "Your Roku device is overheating" more and more recently. Yesterday we continued watching something after that warning and the sound started cutting out a little. We did turn it off before long. It seems to do it mostly on MAX which makes me think Max is not as efficient an app (at least that's where I've noticed it, I'll try to monitor more.) Is Overheating a potential sign of the Roku stick failing? The thing is almost 5 years old and admittedly does get a decent bit of use. Should I be proactive and replace it, or is this normal-ish?
I had a new stick start overheating when I was watching shows in 4k. I ended up giving it to my Mom and getting a Roku Ultra to replace it. Has your stick been in the same place or have you moved it? Just wondering if it has enough air flow. If it does have enough space, it might be time to replace it. I replace my Rokus about every three years.
Old 08-28-23, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

Ok, sounds like it's running down, I'll work on getting a new one. It's been installed the same place since the beginning and is in a reasonably well-aired area. If something's in 4k that's how we watch it, but we don't purposefully hunt down 4k to watch.
Any news on newer or updated models, or am I ok with the current 2023 stick plus?
Old 08-28-23, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tonyc3742
Ok, sounds like it's running down, I'll work on getting a new one. It's been installed the same place since the beginning and is in a reasonably well-aired area. If something's in 4k that's how we watch it, but we don't purposefully hunt down 4k to watch.
Any news on newer or updated models, or am I ok with the current 2023 stick plus?
They usually release the newest models in the fall. I just wait until Black Friday to get one unless you need one now. If you can afford it, the Apple 4Ks are very overpowered and will last for a long time if you want to switch.
Old 11-09-23, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Roku Ultra LT is on sale for $34 at Walmart right now. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Roku-Ultr...s_yho_entp_e_n

They were on sale for $30 last year. I have one and I really like it.
Giantrobo (11-09-23)
Old 11-09-23, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2,078 Likes on 1,271 Posts

I really love the listen via remote feature but it drains batteries. I use the Roku phone app and I listen with headphones on my phone. I mean, it doesn't drain my phones battery and even if it does by chance, the phone is easily recharged. But so far it's not been an issue.

The only thing that sucks it occasionally loses connection and switches back to the TV speakers. I keep hoping for a "fix" for this but maybe I don't have my phone set up right...
Old 11-09-23, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I really love the listen via remote feature but it drains batteries. I use the Roku phone app and I listen with headphones on my phone. I mean, it doesn't drain my phones battery and even if it does by chance, the phone is easily recharged. But so far it's not been an issue.

The only thing that sucks it occasionally loses connection and switches back to the TV speakers. I keep hoping for a "fix" for this but maybe I don't have my phone set up right...
Yeah it does drain the batteries. I run through two AAs every couple months. I just listen via the remote. I don't like having the screen on my phone or iPad light up every time I need to use the remote. I probably should just invest in some rechargeable AAs and a charger.
Old 11-09-23, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 138 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I probably should just invest in some rechargeable AAs and a charger.
Very much worth it. And it only takes about 14 minutes to fully recharge.
Old 11-09-23, 06:02 PM
Premium Member

Received 799 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo

Some of the newer Roku models have direct bluetooth from the device to the headphones (removes the need for the phone app). I was very happy when they added that.
Giantrobo (11-09-23)
Old 11-09-23, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2,078 Likes on 1,271 Posts

Whaaaat? Nice
Old 11-10-23, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

So the Ultra LT is just the Ultra without a USB port?
Old 11-10-23, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jjcool
So the Ultra LT is just the Ultra without a USB port?
Yes. I don't think it has bluebooth or the advanced remote where you have the two custom buttons.
Old 11-12-23, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Roku Streaming Stick 4k is on sale for $29.99 at Roku.com until December 2nd. https://www.roku.com/products/roku-streaming-stick-4k
Old 11-24-23, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4,012 Likes on 2,859 Posts

A year ago I picked up the Roku streaming bar and 12 months later I haven't been 100% happy with it. It locks up, freezes and re-starts a few times a week. And on occasion, I've had sluggish playback where the audio falls behind the images on the screen.

The new Roku Ultra is $69.99 for BF and I can get an extra 15% cash back on Rakuten, so I'm going to probably make a change.
Old 11-24-23, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

I've been having ad freeze ups(not the delivery company) with The Roku Channel and Crackle.

You would think the last place you would have streaming problems would be during an ad.
Old 11-24-23, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Bought the new Roku Ultra as I mentioned above. $76.11 after tax with free shipping. And 15% cash back from Rakuten. Hopefully this will run a lot smoother than the glitchy sound bar.

That's my big BF purchase so far.
Old 11-30-23, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk God

My new Roku Ultra came in the mail yesterday.

It's pretty fast. Hopefully no more crashes and glitches like the soundbar.

The remote control is no longer battery operated. You have to charge it via USB cable, which is provided and charges in the back of the device.

Also, no more Micro SD card memory extension.

One weird thing. For display, it's Auto detecting 1080p HDR as opposed to 4K HDR. I have to manually set it to 4K HDR. But, no big deal.
Old 11-30-23, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,448 Likes on 984 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
One weird thing. For display, it's Auto detecting 1080p HDR as opposed to 4K HDR. I have to manually set it to 4K HDR. But, no big deal.
Maybe you need to upgrade the HDMI cable too. I know I often have issues with cables.
Old 11-30-23, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk God

I used the HDMI cable that came with it (I assume it's 4K) and an extra 4K cable that I had and it still had that auto detection of 1080p HDR. I just manually set it to 4K HDR 30 FPS. My 4K TV is from 2016, so it's a little old.

It's not like I can really tell the difference on streaming quality anyway. I wear glasses. Just a little annoying that it had that.
Old 02-12-24, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you have a Roku account, they're sending emails to get 40% off so you can get a 4k streaming stick for $29.99 and an Ultra for $59.99. Black Friday prices in February essentially.
Deftones (02-12-24)
Old 02-14-24, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,097 Likes on 869 Posts

Meh, it says good til 2/17, I logged in today and I had no offers available I need a new Roku Ultra.
Deftones (02-14-24)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.