Re: The Roku Thread

Apple Music is now available on the Roku platform

https://www.roku.com/blog/apple-music
The following users liked this post:
b2net (05-07-22)
Old 05-13-22, 01:18 AM

Received 559 Likes on 395 Posts

The Roku Ultra ($100) now comes with the Voice Remote Pro. That remote's a great upgrade. I've got two of them. Previously, you had to buy that separately for $30.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-enter...-voice-remote/
Old 06-22-22, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 156 Likes on 123 Posts

Roku did another house cleaning. We had 9 more channels just a few days ago. I remember as I commented maybe some should go or maybe even don't actually work anymore. Tonight I noticed the channel count is 9 less than the other day.
Old 10-30-22, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 896 Likes on 659 Posts

Roku 4K streaming sticks are on sale for $24.99 at Roku.com. That's the cheapest they have ever been.

https://www.roku.com/products/roku-streaming-stick-4k
PhantomStranger (10-30-22)
Old 10-30-22, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by b2net
Roku did another house cleaning. We had 9 more channels just a few days ago. I remember as I commented maybe some should go or maybe even don't actually work anymore. Tonight I noticed the channel count is 9 less than the other day.
Truth. Global Got Talent just disappeared and we have no idea why. Pretty bummed.
Old 11-14-22, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There is a Roku Ultra LT model that is on sale for $30 at Walmart right now if you have Walmart+ or at 7PM Eastern if you don't. It looks like a player that's make just for Black Friday. It doesn't have the voice remote pro that the newer Ultra's have. I'm looking to upgrade, but I'm trying to decide if I should go for this version or pay $40 more for the newest version that's on sale for $70 right now. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Roku-Ultr...mpaign_id=9383
Old 11-14-22, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

I have Streaming Stick + which I believe are 4k. Is it worth upgrading to an Ultra LT or is it more of a 'side grade'?
My TVs don't have Dolby Vision, and I personally like having the stick on the back of the tv instead of another box in my entertainment center.
Old 11-14-22, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tonyc3742
I have Streaming Stick + which I believe are 4k. Is it worth upgrading to an Ultra LT or is it more of a 'side grade'?
My TVs don't have Dolby Vision, and I personally like having the stick on the back of the tv instead of another box in my entertainment center.
The main positive of the Ultra is the ethernet port so you can plug into your router instead of WIFI, but it all depends on how far your router is from your tv. I have the regular streaming stick and it gets hot and overheats when streaming 4K content. I want to get the Ultra box to try to alleviate that (My 4K TV is right by my router). You also get headphones with the Ultra to plug into the remote to use it listen to the tv.

Last edited by lwhy?; 11-14-22 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-14-22, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cool, thanks for the details. Both my TVs are on the opposite side of the house from the routers, and I have only gotten that 'overheating' message once.
Old 11-15-22, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

I believe the Ultra LT does not have a USB port, or bluetooth connectivity if that matters to you.
Old 11-15-22, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I ended up ordering the Ultra LT for $30 to try it out. We'll see how I like it. I won't get it until Thursday.
Old 11-21-22, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's my initial thoughts on the Roku Ultra LT: It's fast. Loads and runs faster than the streaming stick. The remote is bigger and heavier than the streaming stick, but you can use it to plug headphones in and listen to shows. I used the headphones last night and really liked having that option. Also most of my streaming channels ported over and I didn't have to login again. I really liked that. The only thing I don't like is that it has a light that's always on even when the Roku shuts down (Apparently newer models go into power saving mode now. My older Rokus never turned off. They just went into screensaver mode). I love this model so far and I already bought another one while they're on sale for $30 at Walmart.
Old 11-28-22, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4,040 Likes on 2,880 Posts

The Roku channel has some discounted premium channels for 2 month subscriptions with the special price.

Paramount + 99 cents per month for 2 months
Starz: same price
AMC+ $1.99/month for 2 months
Showtime: 99 cents
EPIX: 99 cents
Hallmark Movies Now : 99 cents
Cinemax: 99 cents
Lifetime Movie Club : 99 cents
Shudder: $1.99
Sundance Now: $1.99

I only posted a few notable. These are basically trials and I know most of you don't have time to add more streaming services and try to remember when to cancel. So add at your own discretion.
Old 12-03-22, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Anyone own a Roku soundbar? I just got one this week for Cyber Monday. It was $79.99 with the discount and I got $12 cash back from Rakuten.

The Dolby Audio is pretty good for a budget soundbar and I can watch content from DirecTV with it. And it's already a good streamer.

It's still on sale right now.
Old 12-03-22, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Anyone own a Roku soundbar? I just got one this week for Cyber Monday. It was $79.99 with the discount and I got $12 cash back from Rakuten.

The Dolby Audio is pretty good for a budget soundbar and I can watch content from DirecTV with it. And it's already a good streamer.

It's still on sale right now.
Yeah I have one. I don't have the room currently for a big surround sound so it works fine for that. And I like having the volume on the Roku remote, so one less remote to use.
DJariya (12-03-22)
Old 12-03-22, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looks tempting, thinking about getting one for my parents. They don't care about the multichannel sound (more accurately don't care to set it up) but they'd be fine with a plug and play like this.
It looks like it works well for dialog? That would be the main benefit for them I think. They've already got a Roku TV but I guess they could shift to using the bar as their streaming.
My son also wants a bar but he absolutely does not have the room right now for a full system, this looks like it would be a good starter.
Old 12-20-22, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

OK so I gave my folks a Roku Streambar (model 9210R, I think). The one on sale on Amazon.
I'm providing remote support.
They have a Roku TV, DirectTV, and now this.
My dad says that have it hooked up and it sounds good, and they're using the Streambar's Roku interface.
He says he can't go back to watch DirectTV without turning off the whole thing.
I'm thinking he should just be able to select Inputs on the TV to pick the DTV input and that should work, shouldn't it?
My thoughts were that the Streambar remote would basically replace his existing RokuTV remote and work the same way, just with better sound.
I know this is vague and might not even be totally accurate summary of his situation.
In a day or two if it's not figured out I'll video chat and ask him to show me what he's doing.

I did also get one for our son. He may or may not use the Roku interface, he's currently got a Sony TV and uses their interface, but I know he'll enjoy the sound.
Old 12-20-22, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah they should just be able to use the TV remote to change inputs, the Roku remote doesn't have input buttons.
Old 12-21-22, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,452 Likes on 988 Posts

Yes he would have to change the input selection in the TV itself. Sort of annoying that Roku has not incorporated an input button on their remotes.
Old 01-31-23, 09:12 AM

Received 5,053 Likes on 3,415 Posts

Roku and Tubi will be the free streaming homes for Westworld, Raised by Wolves, The Nevers and other Warner Bros. Discovery content that was recently removed from HBO Max, as part of a co-exclusive deal that all told includes “hundreds” of TV series and movies from the WBD portfolio.

As reported in December, WBD’s plan was to shop the series it had removed from its own subscription streaming service (as part of an expansive and seismic cost-cutting move) and shop them to FAST (free, ad-supported streaming TV) services.

Warner Bros. Discovery’s co-exclusive deals with Roku and Tubi include all seasons of Westworld, Raised by Wolves, The Nevers, The Time Traveler’s Wife, Finding Magic Mike, Head of the Class, Legendary and F-Boy Island, many of which were abruptly disappeared from HBO Max late last year.

TVLine has confirmed that both deals include all 12 episodes of The Nevers, including the final six that have never aired/been seen.

All told, both FAST services will offer up “hundreds of TV series and movies” from the WBD portfolio’s other brands, such as Discovery Channel, HGTV, Food Network and TLC. That includes the likes of Cake Boss, My Cat from Hell, Breaking Amish, Caribbean Life, How It’s Made, Paranormal Lockdown, The Tomorrow People (I’ve heard of that one!) and My Five Wives, plus select seasons of The Bachelor, The Bachelorette and Bachelor in Paradise.

Tubi says it will begin them rolling out its WBD content “as early as February 1 and throughout the month,” while Roku is simply saying “Spring 2023.”
https://tvline.com/2023/01/31/cancel...release-dates/
Old 05-07-23, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk God

If you have a Roku, there is a $6 coupon off a digital rental on the Red Box app. It's on one of those floating ads on the screen saver. I happened to notice it and used it the other day. But, of course you need a Red Box app installed and have an account with them. Can be the same account for the Kiosk rentals.
Old 05-07-23, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
If you have a Roku, there is a $6 coupon off a digital rental on the Red Box app. It's on one of those floating ads on the screen saver. I happened to notice it and used it the other day. But, of course you need a Red Box app installed and have an account with them. Can be the same account for the Kiosk rentals.
I have the fish screen saver and have never seen any offers. I wonder if this will be replicated on the home screen as well.
Old 05-11-23, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,654 Likes on 1,787 Posts

Originally Posted by b2net
I have the fish screen saver and have never seen any offers. I wonder if this will be replicated on the home screen as well.
Yeah, one of my Rokus has the scrolling city screensaver that shows ads and offers, but my other Roku has the fish screen saver and there is never anything on there. Maybe try changing screensavers if you can?
Old 05-11-23, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cultshock
Yeah, one of my Rokus has the scrolling city screensaver that shows ads and offers, but my other Roku has the fish screen saver and there is never anything on there. Maybe try changing screensavers if you can?
I used to use city scape on our Roku 3 but changed to the fish on our Roku Ultra. I'll have to give that a try.
Old 05-13-23, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

After years of buying all Samsung TVs and also using Amazon Fire Sticks, I finally bought into Roku. Last year I bought a Hisense TV with Roku for my bedroom (mainly due to price as I never used Roku) and I am now convinced that's the better system.
The Samsung Smart Hub it's just too slow and I do not like that HBO Max is pre-installed on the thing and it's the biggest app and I can't remove it and it doesn't work, I have to use the fire stick.
Now the issue I have with the Amazon Fire stick is that it too starts to lag and it's got too much flash going on. No menu on any app from the stick is as snappy as Roku. For me, the design of Roku is just simple and it has stayed that way and it's just easy. There's no flash to it whatsoever, it just is what it is and it works and it works really good.
From this point on every TV I buy is going to be the Roku system.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.