Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

The Roku Thread

Old 05-13-23, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 785 Likes on 578 Posts
Re: The Roku Thread

Originally Posted by VHS?
After years of buying all Samsung TVs and also using Amazon Fire Sticks, I finally bought into Roku. Last year I bought a Hisense TV with Roku for my bedroom (mainly due to price as I never used Roku) and I am now convinced that's the better system.
The Samsung Smart Hub it's just too slow and I do not like that HBO Max is pre-installed on the thing and it's the biggest app and I can't remove it and it doesn't work, I have to use the fire stick.
Now the issue I have with the Amazon Fire stick is that it too starts to lag and it's got too much flash going on. No menu on any app from the stick is as snappy as Roku. For me, the design of Roku is just simple and it has stayed that way and it's just easy. There's no flash to it whatsoever, it just is what it is and it works and it works really good.
From this point on every TV I buy is going to be the Roku system.
I don't recommend using Smart TVs to stream. They stop updating the Apps after awhile. I just recommend buying a new Roku every three years.
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (05-19-23)
Old 05-13-23, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,350 Likes on 916 Posts

Yup Roku is the way.
VinVega (11-03-23)
Old 05-23-23, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 641 Likes on 441 Posts

Roku has some deals on different services until the end of today. Here's the page:
https://www.roku.com/whats-on/the-ro...g-day-99-promo

Old 07-23-23, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

So I've noticed that a few of the free "Live" roku channels (B ZONE being one of them) that I often use haven't been working lately. I click on the channel and it plays for a split-second but then it suddenly reboots back to the main Roku menu. Any help?
Old 07-23-23, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,457 Likes on 2,486 Posts

So I've had the Roku sound bar since I got it on sale last November. So 8 months in, I'm not really happy with it. The sound bar element works most of the time. But, it is buggy as hell as a streaming device. Audio drops out every now and then and also playback sometimes stutters. I'm tempted to just take this out and go back to my previous Roku or upgrade to just the newest Roku device. The bugs are so annoying. Just now I was trying to play Jack Ryan's 4th episode and had to pause it for a 2nd. When I hit play, the audio dropped out completely and playback started and stuttered. And sometimes when I switch to live TV on DirecTV, the audio does not work at all on the sound bar.

does anyone here own one and have had any troubles?
Old 07-23-23, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 766 Likes on 641 Posts

I don't trust ROKU's hardware, way too flaky for my tastes.
Old 07-23-23, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
So I've had the Roku sound bar since I got it on sale last November. So 8 months in, I'm not really happy with it. The sound bar element works most of the time. But, it is buggy as hell as a streaming device. Audio drops out every now and then and also playback sometimes stutters. I'm tempted to just take this out and go back to my previous Roku or upgrade to just the newest Roku device. The bugs are so annoying. Just now I was trying to play Jack Ryan's 4th episode and had to pause it for a 2nd. When I hit play, the audio dropped out completely and playback started and stuttered. And sometimes when I switch to live TV on DirecTV, the audio does not work at all on the sound bar.

I do but have never had these issues pairing with my TCL Roku enabled screen. Sound is clear, concise and doesn't drop. Its actually the only sound bar I've owned and it really enhances the viewing experience.
Old 07-23-23, 08:34 PM

Received 492 Likes on 354 Posts

I have the Roku wireless speakers. Bought them when they first came out. The only problems I have is that it will occasionally drop the audio. It only happens about once a month. I just have to shuffle back a few seconds and it fixes itself.
Old 07-23-23, 11:49 PM

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I don't trust ROKU's hardware, way too flaky for my tastes.
The Roku boxes have always worked for me. The Roku TVs, not so good. Had a Hisense and it had some problems with the software here and there. Then the picture died. Went with a TCL and its been flaky as soon as the return period to BestBuy ended. I do not think this thing will make it to its 1st year in the house.
Old 07-31-23, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,686 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Did ROKU change their Menu? Now I have all the shows and films I've watched listed in the Menu offering me a quick way to return to them without having to click the actual the show or film's respective streamer app. I don't like this and I can't find a way to change it.

Old 07-31-23, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Did ROKU change their Menu? Now I have all the shows and films I've watched listed in the Menu offering me a quick way to return to them without having to click the actual the show or film's respective streamer app. I don't like this and I can't find a way to change it.
That's weird. My Ultra LT and Roku stick are not doing that. They did add a search for movies, shows, and more search bar at the top that I don't like. You have to click past it get to the apps now...
Old 07-31-23, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by lwhy?
That's weird. My Ultra LT and Roku stick are not doing that. They did add a search for movies, shows, and more search bar at the top that I don't like. You have to click past it get to the apps now...

Yeah they've always done the "Resume watching" type stuff on the Roku Channel app, which means it is clearly monitoring all my app usage.... but now that same thing is showing in the Menu. i.e. i just watch Star Trek;SNW on Paramount +, so now it show that I was watching it in the menu. Like I said, I don't like that one bit.
Old 07-31-23, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah they've always done the "Resume watching" type stuff on the Roku Channel app, which means it is clearly monitoring all my app usage.... but now that same thing is showing in the Menu. i.e. i just watch Star Trek;SNW on Paramount +, so now it show that I was watching it in the menu. Like I said, I don't like that one bit.
Oh I don't use the Roku channel. I thought you were talking about the Roku device menu.
Old 08-02-23, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Oh I don't use the Roku channel. I thought you were talking about the Roku device menu.
I am. I was just saying the channel all always did this but now its been added to the device menu. It's been placed at the top of the app list.
Old 08-02-23, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am. I was just saying the channel all always did this but now its been added to the device menu. It's been placed at the top of the app list.
Can you screenshot that? I'm not seeing it on any of my Rokus. What Roku device are you using?
Old 08-02-23, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts

Maybe itís WiFi, or are you plugged in?
Old 08-02-23, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Can you screenshot that? I'm not seeing it on any of my Rokus. What Roku device are you using?
The Ultra Model. I'll try when i get home.
Old 08-02-23, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Ultra Model. I'll try when i get home.
I have an Ultra LT and a Stick and I haven't seen anything like what you're describing. Maybe you were phased into some kind of Beta test?
Old 08-02-23, 03:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I also have the continue watching on my Roku home menu. Right above the apps. Except, I don't mind it. It's less steps for me to take. I just click on the show and it goes to the next episode for Hulu, Max, Netflix, etc... . You can delete shows from the Roku continue watching list, if you click on the asterisk on your remote and select remove. I have the Roku Ultra.
Giantrobo (08-02-23)
Old 08-02-23, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 641 Likes on 441 Posts

I found this article from last September describing this feature:
https://techcrunch.com/2022/09/12/ro...ching-feature/
Another feature, “Continue Watching,” will also be located in this “What to Watch” hub, giving customers a quick way to jump back into titles they were previously viewing. And it doesn’t only work with The Roku Channel, the company says — it will support top streamers like Netflix, HBO Max and Paramount+, too. The company hinted more partners were on the way, but could not share names.
That article notes its in the "What to Watch" tab on the left of the Roku menu, not in the default "Home" tab that list apps.

Maybe a new service signed up to the feature, and Giantrobo is just now seeing it?
Old 08-02-23, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I found this article from last September describing this feature:
https://techcrunch.com/2022/09/12/ro...ching-feature/

That article notes its in the "What to Watch" tab on the left of the Roku menu, not in the default "Home" tab that list apps.

Maybe a new service signed up to the feature, and Giantrobo is just now seeing it?
It used to be only in the What to Watch tab but last week they added it to the home menu. It's in both areas now.
Giantrobo (08-02-23)
Old 08-02-23, 03:13 PM
Premium Member

Received 655 Likes on 439 Posts

I'm not seeing that on any of my Roku devices.

I think it would be annoying for me, but don't know until I see it. I also would like to see a picture of it.
Old 08-02-23, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow
I'm not seeing that on any of my Roku devices.

I think it would be annoying for me, but don't know until I see it. I also would like to see a picture of it.
I can't post a pic but it's only a row of your two recently watched shows/movies links and the third link has a "See All" that takes you to a another screen that has all your continue watching shows and movies. It's right above your first three app spots.
The Cow (08-02-23)
Old 08-02-23, 03:45 PM

I figured out how to post a photo. Here what the continue watching looks like on the roku home screen. The top three spaces above the apps

The following 3 users liked this post by Texan26:
Giantrobo (08-02-23), Jay G. (08-02-23), The Cow (08-02-23)
Old 08-02-23, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 102 Posts

Weird. I've never seen that on any of my Rokus.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.