Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

The Roku Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-19, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts
Re: The Roku Thread

Originally Posted by Deftones
how could a game on a video game console completely unrelated to the device cause it problems?
I have no idea. People are putting their switches on airplane mode and their Roku boxes are working now... https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-D...op/td-p/521005

Last edited by lwhy?; 11-17-19 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-18-19, 08:45 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Latest from ROKU support thread: https://support.roku.com/article/115012351368

**Service Alert - Nintendo Switch and Pokémon information - November 17, 2019

Update: 7:30 PM PT

***RESOLVED***We are aware of an issue when using Nintendo Switch and the latest Pokémon game impacting a limited number of Roku devices. We are rolling out a software update to resolve it and impacted users can check for the update by going into Settings > System > Software Update. Recovery instructions for FAQ and messaging:

If your Roku device is not currently stuck in a boot state, perform a software update by doing the following using the Roku remote:
  1. Press the Home button
  2. Go to Settings>System>Update
  3. Check for update and install the available update
After the software is installed and the device has restarted, you should have recovered normal functionality and be updated to these versions depending on your device model.
  • Roku players and Streaming Sticks - 9.2.0 build 4701
  • Select Roku TV - 9.1.0 build 4501 or 9.2.0 build 4601

If your device is currently in a boot state, do the following before performing the steps above:
  • Turn off the Nintendo Switch or place the Nintendo Switch into Airplane mode
  • Restart the Roku
Note: If the behavior is caused by a nearby Nintendo Switch that is not yours, unplug the Roku device from the power source temporarily. Reconnect to power at a later time, possibly at night time, so that the Roku device can automatically check for an update during the night.
Old 11-18-19, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

That seems really really odd. Like the switch is transmitting something via wireless that is affecting the roku? But I'm not even sure how that would be allowed.
Old 11-18-19, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

Does the Nintendo Switch use an RF (radio frequency) signal for its controllers? I know the Roku Stick (at least the model I have) uses an RF remote control instead of infrared, since the way the Stick connects may prevent the 'line-of-sight' that infrared needs.
Old 11-18-19, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have had to plug and unplug my Roku five times to get it to work. I'm going to power cycle it again and see if I can update it....
Old 11-18-19, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

It's due to the networking. Apparently Pokemon searches the Wireless/Wired network it's on looking for other players on the same network, Roku uses similar but different packets and crashes when it receives them.

Setting the Switch into Airplane mode fixes it. I assume disconnecting it from your router would work also.
Old 11-18-19, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
It's due to the networking. Apparently Pokemon searches the Wireless/Wired network it's on looking for other players on the same network, Roku uses similar but different packets and crashes when it receives them.

Setting the Switch into Airplane mode fixes it. I assume disconnecting it from your router would work also.
This seems like terrible network implementation from both parties.
Old 11-18-19, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I updated my Roku and I replaced my Kindle power supply with the original Roku power supply and it's working so far. I'm really interested to see if it's in a boot state when I get back home tonight. My unplug it and plug it back in was working, but it would always be in a boot state the next day. I hope this update fixes it.
Old 11-19-19, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My Roku has been working fine since I updated it.
Old 11-21-19, 01:37 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I didn't have the extent of problems as others may have reported but still have an occasional issue with no sound seemingly only on the MotorTrend channel. I still need to reboot my Ultra when it happens. May need to see if they have any kind of support site or forums and see if others are reporting any issues. Other than that working fine again.
Old 11-24-19, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
If it is going out, the Roku Ultra will be on sale for $50 on Black Friday. The Streaming Stick Plus is going to be $29.99.
Check Thursday (11/28) as well. I got an email announcing half price sale on Ultra but it states ( in two places, a bit confusing) that the sale starts and ends on Thursday. The Streaming STick+ is already on sale. I want the Ultra to replace a very old Roku 2XS.
Old 11-27-19, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I do have a Smart TV, but it got stupid real quick after I updated the software in 2015. It hasn't been able to stream jack diddly in the last four years and LG customer service were useless. Up until now, I've just streamed YouTube, Netflix, etc. through my Sony blu-ray player. Unfortunately, you can't update it with any new apps and support for many of the more popular ones (Hulu, Crackle) are being dropped if they haven't already. So with Black Friday upon us, I figured it was time to buy my first Roku.

I was tempted by the $19.99 Amazon Fire Stick, but it doesn't support Vudu (which is were most of my digital library resides). I also figured I'd get one with 4K streaming capability as a means of future proofing. So it came down to either the Roku Stick+ for $29 or the 2019 Ultra model for $48. I went with the latter, even though I'll have to provide my own HDMI cable for it. I figured I might as well go for top of the line if it's a less than $20 difference, especially since several reviews for the Roku Stick+ indicate the remote can be a bit unresponsive. The "find lost remote" feature on the Ultra also seems like it could be useful.

Last edited by joe_b; 12-04-19 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-28-19, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Picked up a Roku Ultra, well 2 actually. First ordered it from BB, but I can't pick up in store until next week and I don't get it until next Friday. I just ordered a 2nd one at Amazon that will be here tomorrow. I'll take the BB one back.

My streaming stick + is going strong, but I want to move it into a bedroom and use the Ultra in my family room because I can hard wire it.
Old 12-04-19, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I was wondering where the hell my Roku Ultra from Wal-Mart was. I checked the tracking number and saw it was marked as "Delivered" on Tuesday afternoon. I was home all day Tuesday, so that's a load of crap. Still, I checked my driveway and asked the neighbors if they'd gotten any of my mail by mistake. Nada. Now I'll have to deal with Wal-Mart customer service. I should have just bought one in store to cover my ass, since I saw two of them there on Black Friday.

EDIT: Customer service just issued a refund since it's out of stock. It's still available as a pre-order for $99.99, but they didn't honor the sale price for that. Now I'll probably have to wait a year for another decent deal. I hope the thief who swiped it at least experiences buffering issues (Eh, who am I kidding... they're just gonna sell the damn thing off).

Last edited by joe_b; 12-05-19 at 03:30 AM.
Old 12-04-19, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

So far I am impressed with the ultra hard wired. Not a single buffering issue I would have with streaming stick+ despite being right by the router.

I also love the 2 "macro" buttons on the remote. Used one of them to launch YouTube TV, my main tv service.
Old 12-06-19, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a Roku Ultra and the Prime app on this thing isn't worth a shit. I can't get captions/subtitles working at all. I'm half deaf so that is pretty important to me. Roku captions work on other services but not on Amazon Prime. Strangely, the Prime captions show up on the Prime app on my Sony TV. I don't know who is at fault here but Amazon is my main streamer right now so Roku will be the loser (read returned for refund) .... I just want working equipment and this is BROKEN.
Old 12-06-19, 05:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Maybe user error? I use subs all the time, including Amazon. Never had an issue with my Roku Ultra.
Old 12-06-19, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Easy
I bought a Roku Ultra and the Prime app on this thing isn't worth a shit. I can't get captions/subtitles working at all. I'm half deaf so that is pretty important to me. Roku captions work on other services but not on Amazon Prime. Strangely, the Prime captions show up on the Prime app on my Sony TV. I don't know who is at fault here but Amazon is my main streamer right now so Roku will be the loser (read returned for refund) .... I just want working equipment and this is BROKEN.
You have to manually enable it in Prime, there should be a CC button on the menu when you pause the video. You can also select Subtitles on the titles page.

You may need to change the format on www.amazon.com/cc

Last edited by RichC2; 12-06-19 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-06-19, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thank you RichC2 that was it. I had Subtitles selected on the title page but wasn't getting any. Good God, they couldn't have hidden that little "cc" symbol better if they tried. And it only appears if you pause the program. Man, what a crappy implementation. I doubt I would ever have found that. Thank you again.
Old 12-06-19, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thank you RichC2 that was it. I had Subtitles selected on the title page but wasn't getting any. Good God, they couldn't have hidden that little "cc" symbol better if they tried. And it only appears if you pause the program. Man, what a crappy implementation. I doubt I would ever have found that. Thank you again.
I think Disney Plus has a similar UI, where you can only put captions on if you pause the show.
Old 12-06-19, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Happy to help! Somewhat surprisingly, the app is much better now than it was, it used to be unusable.
Old 12-06-19, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

For Amazon Prime on our Roku 3, a simple click of the * button toggles them on and off without pausing. Most other apps will force a pause before enabling CC.
Old 12-07-19, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by b2net
For Amazon Prime on our Roku 3, a simple click of the * button toggles them on and off without pausing. Most other apps will force a pause before enabling CC.
I had (still have) a Roku 3. I replaced it with the Ultra which I suppose is part of the reason I was convinced the Ultra was defective. I thought I wanted UHD streaming but I'm honestly not very impressed with the "upgrade". I should have stayed with the Roku 3.
Old 12-07-19, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I had (still have) a Roku 3. I replaced it with the Ultra which I suppose is part of the reason I was convinced the Ultra was defective. I thought I wanted UHD streaming but I'm honestly not very impressed with the "upgrade". I should have stayed with the Roku 3.
We almost upgraded to Ultra on Black Friday (and last year as well). I always hesitate for a number of reasons.

Our LG Smart TV is 4K and I have most of the popular apps we'd get in 4K there. To us on our 55 4K streaming via TV vs our Roku 1080p (up-converted I suspect) are marginally different.

I realize HDR and DV do a bunch to make the pictures richer. From the 4K stuff we've streamed I can't quite get the picture settings acceptable (time to fiddle). We tried Mandalorian, which we didn't know at the time had a mucked up DV. We made it about 1/2 way through before switching back to Roku 3. It actually looked better. Turns out it was Disney+ DV encode.

The other reason so far is our old Receiver. It doesn't pass 3D or 4K. Roku direct to Receiver gives us much better audio than TV to Receiver. Not that interested in also upgrading the Receiver or to run Roku Ultra to TV to Receiver with less quality sound (only optical from TV to Receiver.

Now to hear the App interfaces are different is also concerning. More confirmation that we should wait.
Old 12-07-19, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

4K UHD is around 3840 x 2160 pixels

Regular 1080p is around 1920 x 1080 pixels.

Some people like you just don't really notice a glaring difference. But, I also believe it depends on your vision and where you sit watching TV. And it probably also depends on how big your TV is.

I upgraded to the Ultra last year for the $50 price and thought it was worth it not only for the upgraded picture, but the device is a lot faster as well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.