Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

The Roku Thread

Old 01-02-20, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
Re: The Roku Thread

Originally Posted by lwhy?
My only complaint is that it took awhile to log into all my streaming services on the new Roku. I spent about 45 minutes setting it up and logging into Roku, YouTube, Prime Video, Hulu, and etc.
I could have sworn that you used to be able to swap out devices, and have the new device auto-load and login to whatever channels you had set up on your account. I just picked up a roku a month ago, and ran into the same issue as you. A lot of time spent logging in to each account, sometimes on the roku, sometimes on the app's website.
Old 01-03-20, 06:05 AM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

I have a Roku Express Plus and for some reason I haven’t been able to access the Apple TV app on it for a few weeks. The app does appear on the home screen, but when I click on it the circle just spins for several seconds and then just goes back to the home screen. Updating the software does nothing to help this nor does restarting the Roku.

Any suggestions or insights?
Old 01-03-20, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I lost the Just Added section a couple months ago. There's a thread in the Official Roku Forum requesting it to be brought back. But no luck so far.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Sugges...uot/m-p/515565
That was probably the same update as mine...I only check for updates every once in a while.

Is there a website that keeps track of what's new? I'm disliking the fact that Roku now gets to decide what's notable enough to show us - I liked checking out the small, more "indy" channels.
Old 01-03-20, 07:46 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Is there a website that keeps track of what's new? I'm disliking the fact that Roku now gets to decide what's notable enough to show us - I liked checking out the small, more "indy" channels.
You can check the New & Notable section of the online Channel Store. If you scroll down about 10 rows, you get the recent small channels.

https://channelstore.roku.com/browse/new-and-notable
Old 01-03-20, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 866 Likes on 390 Posts

These guys do a nice job of tracking all new channels. Sign up for their email, and it comes once a week with the top new channels. Then you can click to see all of the new ones. My understanding is, Roku has a new channel freeze for the holidays right now though.

https://www.rokuguide.com/channels/all-by-date
Old 01-29-20, 11:41 PM

Roku's Smart Soundbar can now pair with its wireless speakers for surround sound

Roku’s audio expansions continue with a soon-to-launch software update that gives its existing line of Roku Smart Soundbars the ability to offer a surround sound experience when paired with Roku TV Wireless Speakers. The soundbar had already worked with Roku’s Wireless Subwoofer to add bass to the listening experience, but now they can pair with the wireless speakers or the newly added onn-branded wireless speakers sold by Walmart, also announced today.

Along with the software update, Roku OS is adding new sound settings to enhance the stereo experience, including one for Movies & TV that offers a surround-like experience; another for Music that synchronizes audio across all speakers; and a third for normal stereo where sound will come from the front speakers only. (However, any Surround content will always be heard in surround, says Roku.)

The setup process has also been made easier with tools that now let you set up multiple devices at once or identify which speaker is the left one and which is the right.

The Roku OS software update will begin rolling out to devices in February, allowing owners of the onn Roku Wireless Surround Speakers and Roku TV Wireless Speakers to pair their devices to their Roku Smart Soundbar.

FULL ARTICLE - https://techcrunch.com/2020/01/29/ro...urround-sound/
Based on the picture, it looks like this will turn the Roku Wireless Speakers into rear surround speakers.

I was hoping there would be an option to turn the Roku Soundbar into a center channel speaker and use the others as front Left & Right speakers. Or is this basically the same thing? I'm not an audiophile, so I don't know much about this stuff.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 01-29-20 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-30-20, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

I have a relative who got a Roku device for XMAS.

She doesn't have a CC/debit card so can she start a Roku account without one?

She has yet to install the device and I told her I think you need a CC/debit card before getting a Roku account.
Old 01-30-20, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

Why is a payment method required when creating a Roku account?
Old 01-30-20, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,453 Likes on 925 Posts

Is there any way to adjust the Roku image? It displays larger than my TV, so all the edges are cropped.
Old 01-30-20, 11:32 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

That sounds like a TV adjustment, not a Roku one. You should have the Roku display setting to automatic.
Old 01-30-20, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
She doesn't have a CC/debit card so can she start a Roku account without one?

She has yet to install the device and I told her I think you need a CC/debit card before getting a Roku account.
They have a sign-up page for people without credit cards. It doesn't ask for any payment info.

https://my.roku.com/signup/nocc

More Info: https://www.rokuguide.com/articles/h...card-or-paypal
Old 01-30-20, 08:54 PM

Roku is losing Fox apps just in time for you to miss the Super Bowl, maybe

If you were hoping to watch the Super Bowl on your Roku TV or set-top box, I hope you don’t mind paying for streaming services like FuboTV, Sling or Hulu, because your existing cable subscription is no good as of today — Roku is pulling all of its Fox apps off of the platform, effective tomorrow, two days before the Big Game.

You see, this isn’t an arbitrary move, or even a technical issue — it’s a carriage dispute between the two companies, Roku tells The Verge. Roku and Fox have a distribution agreement set to expire tomorrow. “We offered Fox an extension... if an agreement is not reached, we’ll be forced to remove the channels,” a company representative says.

Here are the seven Fox channels that are disappearing.

Fox Now
Fox Sports
Fox News
Fox Business
Fox Soccer
Big Ten Network
Fox Nation

Note that even if you still have these Fox apps on your Roku, the company says they won’t work anymore starting tomorrow.

FULL ARTICLE - https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/30/2...els-apps-email
Old 01-30-20, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Roku is losing Fox apps just in time for you to miss the Super Bowl, maybe

If you were hoping to watch the Super Bowl on your Roku TV or set-top box, I hope you don’t mind paying for streaming services like FuboTV, Sling or Hulu, because your existing cable subscription is no good as of today — Roku is pulling all of its Fox apps off of the platform, effective tomorrow, two days before the Big Game.

You see, this isn’t an arbitrary move, or even a technical issue — it’s a carriage dispute between the two companies, Roku tells The Verge. Roku and Fox have a distribution agreement set to expire tomorrow. “We offered Fox an extension... if an agreement is not reached, we’ll be forced to remove the channels,” a company representative says.

Here are the seven Fox channels that are disappearing.

Fox Now
Fox Sports
Fox News
Fox Business
Fox Soccer
Big Ten Network
Fox Nation

Note that even if you still have these Fox apps on your Roku, the company says they won’t work anymore starting tomorrow.

FULL ARTICLE - https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/30/2...els-apps-email
Fuuuuuck. There goes 4k Superbowl. God damn it.
Old 01-30-20, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Bust out these:

Last edited by DJariya; 01-30-20 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-30-20, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

I don't get the Fox thing. These are apps, but you don't subscribe to Fox through Roku, you get access to the apps because of your cable sub or whatever, right? So how is it a carriage dispute?

I can understand being upset about the 4k thing but unless I'm mistaken, if you had access to the app you have access to Fox on your tv, right?
Old 01-30-20, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DJariya
Bust old these:

Can't get 4k OTA yet. Not until atsc 3.0 is rolled out.
Old 01-31-20, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
It's not going to be real 4k anyway. They're upconverting the 1080p signal.
Old 01-31-20, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Email from Roku.

Important notice about all standalone FOX channels
Roku

View online

Dear Roku Customer, On January 31, 2020, all standalone FOX channels will no longer be available on Roku streaming devices.

You can still watch FOX channels through these services: FuboTV, Hulu + Live TV, SlingTV, YouTube TV and other live TV services, many of which offer free trials. We also have thousands of other great channels in the Roku Channel Store. We've got you covered!

If you have a Roku TV, you may be able to receive FOX over the air with an antenna.

Happy Streaming™
Roku
Old 01-31-20, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

email from FOX

Keep Your FOX Apps
Fox Sports <[email protected]>
Fri 1/31/2020 12:51 AM

​​​​​
View Online

Earlier today Roku notified their users they intend to remove FOX apps, including FOX Sports, FOX NOW, FOX News, and FOX Nation. We’re as surprised – and disappointed – as you! Only Roku can remove our apps from your device, and we’ve not asked them to do that. Be assured, if there’s a disruption, it will be Roku’s decision alone. While we work to continue our relationship with Roku, we are happy to keep our apps available to you, and we regret Roku has chosen to threaten your access solely to improve its own business interests. In case of a disruption, here are some streaming alternatives:

• Fox apps are available on Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, and Android TV, as well iOS and Android mobile devices (and you can cast from Fox’s mobile apps to Chromecast- and AirPlay-enabled devices)

• FOX NOW, FOX Sports, and FOX Nation are also available on Samsung Smart TVs

• And of course you can also visit our networks on the web at fox.com, foxsports.com, foxnews.com, and foxnation.com

• We also welcome you to check YouTube TV, Hulu, Fubo, and AT&T TV NOW on Roku devices, all of which carry Fox networks

We’re sorry for the needless drama Roku is causing you (and us!). Again, only Roku can remove apps from your device, so please let Roku know on social media to keep your FOX apps!

Amazon, Fire, and all related marks are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Trademark & Copyright Notice: ™ and © 2020 FOX Media LLC and FOX Sports Interactive Media, LLC. All rights reserved.

Please do not reply to this message. If you do not wish to receive emails like this in the future, please unsubscribe.

FOX Sports respects your privacy. Click here to view our Privacy Policy.

FOX.com
Business & Legal Affairs - Manager Digital Media
P.O. Box 900
Beverly Hills, CA 90213-0900

Last edited by b2net; 01-31-20 at 05:31 AM.
Old 01-31-20, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And FOX offered their live Super Bowl in 4K even without a subscription to a TV service.

The services disappearing also include all on demand programming the FOX Roku channels offered, which is quite a bit and other often free live content.
Old 01-31-20, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by John Richmond
They shoot with 1080p HDR cameras, so it won't look that bad. Ironically, the signal they send out to network TV though is still 720p.
Old 01-31-20, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

Oh hey, Roku making questionable decisions. Great.
Old 01-31-20, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by John Richmond
Still better than the alternative....
Old 01-31-20, 08:56 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Fuck it - 480p 4:3
Old 01-31-20, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

You could get FOX on a Roku w/o a cable/sat subscription/authentication?

I've used FOX Now to catch replays of programming I didn't catch on my DVR. But I always needed to log in through my provider.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.