Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Hulu to start charging for content as early as 2010

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-09, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Hulu to start charging for content as early as 2010

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Off topic a bit but does anyone here have an actual Hulu account? Is there any advantage to having one?
I have one. All it really allows you to do is create a playlist and subscribe to shows that you want to watch.

For example, if you subscribe to The Office or Parks and Recreation, you will get an e-mail when a new episode has been added to your playlist.
Old 10-25-09, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I have one. All it really allows you to do is create a playlist and subscribe to shows that you want to watch.

For example, if you subscribe to The Office or Parks and Recreation, you will get an e-mail when a new episode has been added to your playlist.
Oh ok, that sounds cool. I was about to sign up and I started wondering what all I could do with it. And thank Gawd for late night posters.
Old 10-25-09, 05:09 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Off topic a bit but does anyone here have an actual Hulu account? Is there any advantage to having one?
you can set up a queue of shows you want to keep an eye out for, and you;'ll get emails when a particular show is about to get booted from the hulu rotation. also, having an actual account is the only way you can get the PlayOn program to recognize hulu so you can watch the shows on your regular television through a device like a ps3 or 360
Old 10-25-09, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are also some shows that you have be a certain age to watch. Always Sunny in Philadelphia comes to mind. I had to get an account to watch that show.
Old 10-25-09, 09:27 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Another advantage of an account is that it'll remember where you are in a show.
Old 10-25-09, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Thanks for the posts.
Old 10-26-09, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slightly OT but still Hulu related. Has anyone ever watched any of the movies yet? I'm watching one now for the first time(via Playon and PS3) and for some reason when commercials hit they are 10x louder than the movie I'm watching. I swear I almost blew out my speakers when the first one hit. It just came out of nowhere about 2min. into the movie. I've had about 5 of them so far(about 45min into the movie now) and every single one of them is extremely loud. I'm hoping this is a fluke with the movie I'm watching as it could get really annoying after a while.
Old 10-26-09, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be a fluke with the movie, maybe the volume is set too low. In my experience, commercials are usually about the same volume as the show I’m watching.
Old 10-29-09, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/...-in-a-word-no/

A source close to Hulu, however, tells EW that the site remains steadfastly committed to free content, explaining that any possible subscription or pay-per-view service has no set timeline and would only build upon what Hulu offers, not replace it.
Old 10-29-09, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would pay for a mobile app.
Old 10-29-09, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
I would pay for a mobile app.
Now this is something I would pay for as well...
Old 01-28-10, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Chicago Tribune article on Hulu

chicagotribune.com
At Hulu, free may soon turn into fee
By Dawn C. Chmielewski and Alex Pham, Tribune Newspapers

January 28, 2010

LOS ANGELES

— Hulu soared to popularity by offering free online viewing of popular TV shows. Now, that free ride soon may end.

The Internet video site is weighing plans to charge users to watch episodes of "30 Rock," "Modern Family" and "House." The move would mark a sharp change of course for the venture, which was launched nearly two years ago by a consortium of studios to distribute without charge TV shows and movies over the Internet.

The site has spent months studying how to strike a balance between what people expect to watch for free online and for what they would be willing to pay, according to a person familiar with the matter who was not authorized to speak publicly.

One plan under consideration would allow users to view the five most recent episodes of TV shows for free, but require a subscription of $4.99 a month to watch older episodes. Hulu believes it will need at least 20 TV series, both current and those no longer on the air, to make such a pay service attractive to users. A firm pricing model could emerge within six months.

A Hulu spokeswoman declined to comment.

Hulu's plan to charge for some programs comes as many publishers are similarly grappling over how to get people to pay for online content they've long gotten for free.

In a development that could have implications for embattled newspapers, the New York Times Co. recently unveiled its plan to charge online readers for stories. The Times will adopt a "metered" approach, starting next year, in which users can read a limited number of articles before being charged.

Hulu and the Times join a growing lineup of companies that are building pay walls around their content.

Internet radio company Pandora Media Inc. recently started charging users a monthly fee of 99 cents if they listened to more than 40 hours per month.

"The economic reality of any type of content is that you need people to put some money into the tip jar," said Tim Westergren, founder of the company.

That imperative has grown as advertising dollars flooding online is expected to slow. Research firm eMarketer estimates that online advertising will grow 40 percent this year, down from a 127 percent increase last year.

Boxee Inc., a company that lets people pipe Netflix movies, YouTube videos, Pandora music and other online media directly to their TVs, recently introduced a way for studios and publishers to charge for on-demand content rather than rely on advertising.

"This lets content owners dictate the way they want to sell online," said Andrew Kippen, Boxee's vice president of marketing. "There will be more content available online, and there's not going to be one clear way to win. What we're saying is, work with us to try out some different business models and see what works."

Analysts say Hulu may be preparing to deliver its video service through the array of Internet-connected TVs, game consoles and other devices that were on display everywhere at the 2010 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

"The whole reason Hulu needs to consider a subscription model is that the long-term play for online video is not to computers, it's to a collection of other devices: connected TVs, video game consoles," said Forrester Research media analyst James McQuivey.

Indeed, Netflix has found that an increasing percentage of its subscribers use an on-demand service to watch movies through Internet-connected video game consoles, Blu-ray players and other devices connected to the TV.

Hulu, a partnership between NBC Universal, News Corp., Walt Disney Co. and Providence Equity Partners, has emerged as an Internet darling — and a thorn in the side of some investors who see the site not as a defense against piracy or video phenomenon YouTube but as a threat to the economics of the television business.

Cable operators, in particular, protested Hulu allowing free Internet access to shows like FX's "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" or USA Networks' "Psych," which were previously available only to their subscribers. Hulu responded by reining in online access to certain cable programs.

Many media analysts expect that Comcast Corp.'s plan to buy controlling interest in NBC Universal will give it a significant say in the future of online video and accelerate Hulu's move to a subscription service.

For newspapers, the announcement by The New York Times could likewise accelerate a move to requiring readers to pay for online access.

It's not the first time the company tried to get readers to pony up. It ended its TimesSelect online subscription program in 2007, even though the effort generated $10 million a year in revenue.

"We've learned several things from TimesSelect," said Times spokeswoman Diane McNulty. Among them: People will pay for content online, McNulty said, and that publishers "have to carefully weigh the benefits of an advertising and a subscription model."

The company has seen the part of its revenue coming from selling ads on its digital properties grow from 4 percent in 2004 to 13.4 percent in the first nine months of 2009.

"The New York Times is very smart," said Mike Vorhaus, president of media consultant Magid Advisors. "The person who comes once or twice for a really big news article is never going to become a payer, so let's not try to force them. Let's not try to make a sheep into a cow. The most frequent viewers should be paying the most."

Copyright © 2010, Chicago Tribune
Old 01-28-10, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

5 most recent episodes still free and $5/month for older episodes? Sounds reasonable to me. They need to beef that 20 shows figure up quite a bit though.
Old 01-28-10, 09:13 AM

That actually is reasonable. Right now, a lot of shows only have the five most recent episodes available, with no way to see older episodes (fee or otherwise).
Old 01-28-10, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If it's $5/month and I can get it on my TiVo?

Sold.
Old 01-28-10, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Chew
If it's $5/month and I can get it on my TiVo?

Sold.
I would definitely pay $10/mo to get Hulu streamed via 360 or PS3.
Old 01-28-10, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Agreed. And like others, I would pay for a mobile app as well.
Old 01-28-10, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
It's not native, but you can already do that with PlayOn.
Old 01-28-10, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

It's not native, but you can already do that with PlayOn.*
*Windows only
Old 01-28-10, 10:26 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Although PlayOn support is in serious denial, many, many, many (all?) of their users are currently having serious issues with streaming Hulu to their PS3/360's (IE: for many of us, it's NOT WORKING)
Old 01-28-10, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most computers (even laptops) have a secondary video outlet, and most televisions have the same input. Whether it be HDMI, VGA, whatever. I have my computer hooked to my television via VGA cable. I stream Hulu seamlessly. Think outside the box.
Old 01-28-10, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Although PlayOn support is in serious denial, many, many, many (all?) of their users are currently having serious issues with streaming Hulu to their PS3/360's (IE: for many of us, it's NOT WORKING)
Yeah, Hulu was extremely hit and miss (a lot more miss) when it first came out. I really thought it would've gotten better by now.
Old 01-28-10, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think with Playon, your PC and Xbox must be connected to the internet at the same time, right? Then Playon excludes people like me who only can only have one device connected to the internet at the same time. I want Hulu to stream directly from Xbox live or PSN instead.
Old 01-28-10, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Buy a router, problem solved.
Old 01-28-10, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by John Slider
Most computers (even laptops) have a secondary video outlet, and most televisions have the same input. Whether it be HDMI, VGA, whatever. I have my computer hooked to my television via VGA cable. I stream Hulu seamlessly. Think outside the box.
That's pretty inconvenient. Most of us would prefer to stream directly from devices already connected to our computers.

I tried streaming Hulu through TVersity. It "worked" but it wasn't great. I'm looking for something similar in quality and convenience to Netflix on the 360, and would pay to get it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.