DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Streaming Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk-75/)
-   -   Hulu to start charging for content as early as 2010 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk/563579-hulu-start-charging-content-early-2010-a.html)

DJariya 10-22-09 01:53 PM

Hulu to start charging for content as early as 2010

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/blo...d=20116&q=hulu

Chase Carey: Hulu to Charge in 2010
October 21, 2009
News Corp. Deputy Chairman Chase Carey opened the B&C OnScreen summit to discuss where he sees the business going. “It’s time to start getting paid for broadcast content online,” he said. Carey said that while everyone cites the infamous Jeff Zucker quip that “We’re exchanging analogue dollars for digital dimes,” the industry continues to do exactly that. The strategy needs to be more than just fighting piracy and Google, he says.

“I think a free model is a very difficult way to capture the value of our content. I think what we need to do is deliver that content to consumers in a way where they will appreciate the value,” Carey said. “Hulu concurs with that, it needs to evolve to have a meaningful subscription model as part of its business.”

AdVerse had a quick chat with Carey too and posed the question, when exactly does Hulu start charging then? Carey, who says he’s only been to one Hulu board meeting since arriving at News Corp., suggests there is still no timeline but supposes it’s at least in 2010. Carey says that while throwing up a pay-wall around all content is not the answer, it doesn’t mean there wont be fees for some specially-created content and TV previews. Windows are just around the corner. American Idol audition previews anyone? Mobile Hulu is another potential way of making money.

So what changes if and when Comcast takes the NBCU seat at the Hulu table alongside News Corp. and Disney? Comcast has very different thoughts about how to charge for online content. Carey sees the authentication strategy as a good first move, but describes it as defensive, and told me he doesn’t see how it creates additional revenue.

And then there are the regulatory hurdles facing a Comcast deal for NBCU which could result in a delay of at least a year before Comcast gets to really run the show.

DJariya 10-22-09 01:55 PM

Re: Hulu to start charging for content as early as 2010

I've read numerous reports that Hulu is a money losing venture right now, so this doesn't surprise me.

Pointyskull 10-22-09 01:55 PM

Had to figure that was inevitable.
When that happens, it's goodbye Hulu, hello torrent...

rfduncan 10-22-09 01:56 PM

Wait a minute... isn't the majority of the TV content free over the air anyway? Am I not watching commercials when I catch up with Heroes on Hulu? WTF? This is just a dumb idea. Add more commercials (if you can even FIND the advertisers). Otherwise, farewell to you, Hulu.

Geofferson 10-22-09 01:58 PM

Yeah, I suspect the Hulu viewership will nosedive if/when they begin charging.

TGM 10-22-09 01:59 PM

fuck you Hulu.

Groucho 10-22-09 02:00 PM

I just pooped into a plastic bag and dropped it in the mailbox.

Brent L 10-22-09 02:01 PM

Huh, I guess I wont need to visit Hulu anymore pretty soon.

DJariya 10-22-09 02:02 PM

It's not happening right now. So use it as much as you need to.

I use Hulu strictly to catch up on stuff when my DVR starts getting full.

DJariya 10-22-09 02:12 PM

Okay read this article from TVBYTHENUMBERS.COM

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/10/22...-in-2010/31223

Apparently, Hulu cannot charge for shows that NBC, ABC and FOX already give away for free anyways. Otherwise, they might as well shut down right now because people will go to the network sites instead.

However, they could however start charging for content from cable like Sons of Anarchy on FX or Burn Notice on USA because those are cable shows and they rely of subscription fees to make money.

jjcool 10-22-09 02:25 PM

Never watched anything on hulu. I have watched some stuff on the networks websites however. I wouldnt pay for either service. If Hulu wants to charge thats fine, but it shoudl only be for stuff that isnt currently airing on its main broadcast channel, IE fox, NBC, CBS, etc. Older shows that are not currently in production and cable stuff they should eb able to charge for.

spainlinx0 10-22-09 02:34 PM

When they charge, I'll stop using them. I would rather go back to paying for cable and at least being able to skip the commercials, then I will pay for Hulu and be forced to sit through commercials.

jeffbase34 10-22-09 02:34 PM

I would only pay for Hulu if they offered streaming through the Xbox. I don't like watching tv on a computer screen.

TGM 10-22-09 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by jeffbase34 (Post 9790025)
I would only pay for Hulu if they offered streaming through the Xbox. I don't like watching tv on a computer screen.

you can do this with the PlayOn program

FantasticVSDoom 10-22-09 02:50 PM

So the grand plan is to charge the people now so they can make money? Riiiight. A free model is difficult? If advertisers dont want to give you money because there isnt enough potential customers now when its free, what happens when everyone leaves when you charge them?

Chew 10-22-09 02:55 PM

About the only way I'd pay for Hulu is if it were available through my TiVo and it was an affordable monthly fee (like $10-$15).

I don't pay the obnoxious $2-$3 per episode through Amazon or iTunes now, I won't with Hulu either.

Gizmo 10-22-09 03:24 PM

I refuse to pay $2 an episode through iTunes either and sometimes use Hulu to catch up on episodes I missed. They'll just drive people to finding other ways to watch shows for free. With TV/BD players allowing streaming or playing 'movie' files through USB it'll be even easier.

Michael Corvin 10-22-09 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 9790127)
I refuse to pay $2 an episode through iTunes either and sometimes use Hulu to catch up on episodes I missed.

Exactly. I'd even say a decent portion will just convert to iTunes as well.

Boba Fett 10-22-09 03:59 PM

What's funny, is they can't charge for the network stuff, but want to charge for the cable stuff.

Ironically, Comcast OnDemand has CBS shows for free, no ABC or FOX, NBC is $0.99 (SD) and $1.99 (HD) an episode, and all the cable network stuff is free.

dx23 10-22-09 05:20 PM

Well, Hulu and the people that came with the idea of charging can go an fuck themselves. There are many ways of getting the same content for free. Welcome to the Internet era fucktards.

mraw 10-22-09 05:42 PM

I just went there for the first time and it's pretty cool. I like the variety of shows but I hate watching online videos that skip and stutter and I don't like watching tv on the computer in general. I'm attemtping to watch an episode of the Munsters Today (please don't judge me :-)) and it's crazy skipping.

naitram 10-22-09 05:47 PM

When they start charging is when they become a footnote in internet history. Something else will replace them.

Giantrobo 10-22-09 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by rfduncan (Post 9789936)
Wait a minute... isn't the majority of the TV content free over the air anyway? Am I not watching commercials when I catch up with Heroes on Hulu? WTF? This is just a dumb idea. Add more commercials (if you can even FIND the advertisers). Otherwise, farewell to you, Hulu.

Agree 100%

Oh well....

boredsilly 10-22-09 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by dx23 (Post 9790381)
Well, Hulu and the people that came with the idea of charging can go an fuck themselves. There are many ways of getting the same content for free. Welcome to the Internet era fucktards.

Really? Isn't that a bit of an overreaction?

I can't get with the pay per episode thing. It just never feels like it's worth it to me, especially because it's so easy to watch these things for free anyway. It's a shame too because there are shows I would like to watch in HD on my 360, but they're too price prohibitive. However, if Hulu went the Netflix route, and let me pay $10 a month to have access to everything? I would do that in a second. Hell, they could still run a few commercials during the shows too (say one before the ep and one after). When it comes to this kind of stuff, it's all about the subscription model.

dx23 10-22-09 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by boredsilly (Post 9790617)
Really? Isn't that a bit of an overreaction?

I can't get with the pay per episode thing. It just never feels like it's worth it to me, especially because it's so easy to watch these things for free anyway. It's a shame too because there are shows I would like to watch in HD on my 360, but they're too price prohibitive. However, if Hulu went the Netflix route, and let me pay $10 a month to have access to everything? I would do that in a second. Hell, they could still run a few commercials during the shows too (say one before the ep and one after). When it comes to this kind of stuff, it's all about the subscription model.

I loathe companies that change things like this without looking at the big picture. Right now, everyone involved with Hulu is making money with the ad revenue. Again, everything comes down to greed. They want to make more money because the last agreement between the SAG, and the Writer Guild took a chunk of what the networks were making. Now, the corporate idiots want to charge the viewer. Guess what? The viewer will find better alternatives, like going to the networks site and watching the show for free, or going to iTunes and be able to not only watch the show, but also to download it and play it on his computer or iPod or iPhone. The viewer could simply go to Youtube, or any other site that has the same content for free.

What will happen to Hulu? It will have fewer visits, which means less ad revenue, which means that they will need to cut cost by firing staff, or just closing the site. Then, all the writers, actors, etc, will lose another stream of income and again, they will blame it all on piracy, when in fact it was just corporate idiocy that killed the site.