Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

NetFlix "Watch Now / Watch Instantly" - Recommendations Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-10, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts
Re: NetFlix "Watch Now / Watch Instantly" - Recommendations Thread

Netflix doesn't carry the Warner Archive films in any format, -which is a pity, since I can't really afford to buy them. The Pixar films are those available via Starz. What's really nice about Netflix Streaming is all the films that are not currently available on DVD or have never been available as far as I know, like "The Final Option", or "Drum" or "The Night of the Generals" in its proper OAR, "Fearless Frank" in a nice wide-screen print, "Queen of Blood", "Siege at Firebase Gloria", "Vampire Circus" and "Hands of the Ripper". A lot of these are obscure, but I'm delighted to add them to my queue.
Old 09-27-10, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Just watched "American Raspberry", which was also released as "Prime Time", a 1977 sketch-comedy movie like Groove Tube and Kentucky Fried Movie. This one's pretty awful, but in a good way- has some real laugh-out-loud and WTF moments. Essential viewing for any fans of this genre or bad 70s movies in general. I'd totally buy this on DVD if it were available (it was included on a cheap 50-movie set as "Prime Time", but I didn't buy it since I heard it had an onscreen logo during the movies.)
Old 09-30-10, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins - in what appears to be in OAR! Not in HD however.
Old 10-03-10, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see it mentioned anywhere, but I'm watching Antichrist on Netflix streaming right now in HD. Very weird flick.
Old 10-07-10, 12:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Troll 2 ...is intstantly streaming for anyone who doesn't want to buy and wants to add to their schlock-fest horror challenge.
Old 10-07-10, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like Fullmetal Alchemist (original series) has been added to Netflix Instant. I look forward to checking it out...
Old 10-07-10, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Four seasons of A Bit of Fry and Laurie, pretty cool.
Old 10-16-10, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

All four seasons of Lexx are now on instant queue (of course, right after I imported the sets from Canada).
Old 10-18-10, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by starman9000
All four seasons of Lexx are now on instant queue (of course, right after I imported the sets from Canada).
Is that worth getting into to, I've been curious about it since I heard about it. I just finished up with "Eureka" so I could use a new series to get into.
Old 10-18-10, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I hated lexx but only seen two episodes. It is like farscape but horrible.
Old 10-18-10, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Dracula: Pages From a Virgin's Diary, I haven't seen it yet but Virgin's Diary looks like a unique twist...

"Director Guy Maddin exquisitely captures the sound and the fury (not to mention the grace) of this classic story about a count with a thirst for blood, as told through ballet. This black-and-white, silent-movie rendering of the Royal Winnipeg Ballet's Bram Stoker adaptation."

I though Guy Maddin's Brand Upon the Brain was unique and enjoyable although pretentious.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-18-10 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-18-10, 05:33 PM

I'm surprised they're pretty up date on "No Reservations" with Anthony Bourdain.
Old 10-19-10, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by paradicelost
Is that worth getting into to, I've been curious about it since I heard about it. I just finished up with "Eureka" so I could use a new series to get into.
I've only seen the first series, it was interesting enough for me, but it's pretty stupid at the same time. It's out there. It certainly wouldn't be on my list of best shows or anything.
Old 10-19-10, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Finally got around to watching Bronson. Hardy was great.
Old 10-23-10, 11:53 AM

Saw VI went instant today for anyone who wants. Paranormal Activity already instant.
The Girl Who Played With Fire goes instant on Tues, 10/26.
Old 10-30-10, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Just finish watching first time Ip Man streaming on my PS3 today. Excellent movie, Donnie Yen kick ass. I'm not happy that Netflix only show just the English dubbed version and no subtitles. During the movie it's show Mandarin text but I couldn't understand what it said cause there were no subtitles. I would have gave this a five-star rating but I'm only giving just 3-stars. Disappointed with Netflix showing only the dubbed version.
Old 10-30-10, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Xbox69
I've heard people say it's related to your plan. If you have the 1 DVD out plan you can stream to one device whereas the 2 DVD plan allows for 2 streams -- simultaneously, if needed.
I'm on the one-disk, unlimited plan.
"You are currently in the 1 DVD out at-a-time (Unlimited) plan with unlimited time to watch instantly."
It also says
"Members on unlimited plans may watch instantly for an unlimited number of hours per month on any compatible computer or Netflix-ready device."
I swear one time when I was activating a device it said something like "X of Y devices activated", implying that there's a max amount, but I can't find that now.
I have five devices activated [iphone, two PCs, Xbox, and Wii] and haven't had a problem. I don't recall if there have been any simultaneous views.

Lexx is definitely a B movie version of Farscape. It's got some good bits, but I sold off my Season 2. I might catch some of the later episodes on WI. I liked the game show planet episode.

The Experiment is a good one, it's a dramatization of the guard/prisoner sociology experiment.
Old 10-31-10, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by dtcarson
I swear one time when I was activating a device it said something like "X of Y devices activated", implying that there's a max amount, but I can't find that now.
I have five devices activated [iphone, two PCs, Xbox, and Wii] and haven't had a problem. I don't recall if there have been any simultaneous views.
From the FAQ:
http://www.netflix.com/Help?p_faqid=2902
Q:
Can I watch movies instantly on more than one PC or Netflix-ready device?
A:
Some membership plans allow you to watch simultaneously on more than one personal computer or Netflix-ready device. If you are on the 1-disc-out-at-a-time plan, you may watch only one device at a time. If you are on the 2-discs-out-at-a-time plan, you may watch on up to two devices at a time. Members on the 3-disc plan can watch on up to three devices. The maximum is four devices -- available for members on the 4-or-greater-discs-out-at-a-time plan.

Your account can have up to six unique authorized devices activated (and associated with it) at any given time, including personal computers and Netflix-ready devices. For example, if you're on the 1-disc plan, you can have up to six devices associated with your account, but you can only watch one of them at a time. If you're on the 2-disc plan, you can have up to six devices activated but can only watch two of them at the same time.
Old 10-31-10, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by dom56
Just finish watching first time Ip Man streaming on my PS3 today. Excellent movie, Donnie Yen kick ass. I'm not happy that Netflix only show just the English dubbed version and no subtitles. During the movie it's show Mandarin text but I couldn't understand what it said cause there were no subtitles. I would have gave this a five-star rating but I'm only giving just 3-stars. Disappointed with Netflix showing only the dubbed version.
I watched some too. It's a weird version. On my TV, all the conversations in Japanese are undubbed and w/o subtitles.
Old 11-02-10, 10:51 AM

If you are into post-apocalyptic entertainment, check out Survivors. It is from the BBC. It isn't anything ground breaking, but I thought it was pretty entertaining. It only ran two seasons and leaves a couple of questions unanswered, but overall I thought it did a good enough job of wrapping everything up.

Also, season 2 is better than season 1 in my opinion in case you are on the fence after season 1.
Old 11-07-10, 08:43 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

"Ink" expires from the instant queue service on 11/10/2010 for some reason, so watch it while you can

Old 11-13-10, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by starman9000
I've only seen the first series, it wasn 't interesting enough for me, but it's pretty stupid at the same time. It's out there. It certainly wouldn't be on my list of best shows or anything.
I ended up getting the entire first season of "Wharehouse 13" on dvd from netflix(thanks to the crossover episode on Eureka) so i'll be on that for a week or two. I haven't heard too many good things on Lexx. My brother in law keeps trying to get me to start Babylon 5 or Doctor Who, so Lexx is now at the bottom of my list.

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
"Ink" expires from the instant queue service on 11/10/2010 for some reason, so watch it while you can

crap, i started watching that about 6 months ago but stopped in the middle(got the "look" from my wife when she came to bed), and never got around to finishing it. Hopefully its on dvd, so i can get it that way.
Old 11-21-10, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

"The Keep" is now on Instant Watch! Still no DVD release in sight, Jesus I hate Paramount.
Old 11-23-10, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
"The Keep" is now on Instant Watch! Still no DVD release in sight, Jesus I hate Paramount.
Excellent! I just put my laserdisc player in storage (replaced by a Blu-Ray player), so now I can watch this tonight on the Roku.

Spoiler:
Alexandru: No-one's ever died here.
Captain Klaus Woermann: Then what drives people out, in the middle of a rainy night?
Alexandru: Dreams?
Captain Klaus Woermann: Nightmares? Look, man, the real nightmares man has made upon other men in this war. The bad dreams of your Keep are nursery rhymes by comparison.

Last edited by Kmical; 11-23-10 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-24-10, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe

looks like this will be back 11/25.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.