Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

My Best Buy program changes effective 5/3/22

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

My Best Buy program changes effective 5/3/22

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-23, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,738 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Re: My Best Buy program changes effective 5/3/22

They really don't like giving out those pitiful little rewards, do they?

Seems like they feel like they need to have that rewards program in order to collect data on their customers, but make it pay out paltry rewards and make it harder and harder to get them.
Old 01-11-23, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Considering I rarely order from them since the store here closed (no local pickups and free shipping only on orders $35 or more meant little to nothing ordered), the free shipping on all orders is, IMHO, a much better perk than the measly reward points. I still won't use them much but they are a bit more attractive now.
Old 01-13-23, 11:18 AM
Banned

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

The only reason I order from Best Buy and not Amazon is because they would price match and I would get a paltry rewards of $5 or $10. How bad must Best Buy be in financially that they can't afford a $5 certificate once in a blue moon?
Old 01-13-23, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Don't know why folks are complaining about the stupid certificates - free shipping on everything is a much better deal.
Old 01-13-23, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Don't know why folks are complaining about the stupid certificates - free shipping on everything is a much better deal.
It is... until they eventually get rid of it too. I have no doubt this was to soften the blow of the rewards points, as paltry as they were, going to the credit card. But while it lasts it's a much better deal, considering one of the only reasons for buying from BB is to to get stuff like media or games on deep discount sales.
Old 01-13-23, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 436 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Agreed. They eliminated the paltry media section (including new releases) when they remodeled my local store in the fall.

They also added "In select stores. Online offer may vary." to the rewards fine print.
Old 01-13-23, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
It is... until they eventually get rid of it too..
Exactly. They shown no compunctions over the years about reducing benefits, and I fully expect that by next year, they’ll announce a modification to this free shipping on everything benefit.
Old 01-13-23, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
Meathead (01-13-23), story (01-13-23)
Old 01-14-23, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/14/busin...tpr/index.html

Best Buy’s changes were designed to offer customers a free alternative to Amazon Prime and Walmart+, both paid membership plans, and it was also aimed at getting them to switch to its branded credit card. Around 25% of Best Buy’s sales are transacted using one of its credit cards, and research shows that customers with store credit cards spend more money than customers without them.

But some customers were more frustrated about reward points ending for non-Best Buy credit card holders than excited about free shipping.

Customers on Twitter and Reddit criticized the changes to the points system and said they did not want to be forced to take out another credit card to earn rewards. Some said they plan to stop shopping at Best Buy as a result of the changes.

[. . .]

Mary Pilecki, who leads loyalty marketing research at Forrester, said there are risks to changing loyalty programs and brands will lose some customers.

But loyalty program changes usually are not fatal for brands and are just one factor out of dozens that go into customers’ decisions about where to shop, she said.

Her research indicates that the largest consumer reaction comes in the first month or two after a company announces changing. After that, it dies down significantly.

Old 01-14-23, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Sucks that Best Buy now wants 38.99 for the Wakanda Forever steelbook that would have been 34.99 before.
Old 02-28-23, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Didn't notice this change until now. Looks like they will no longer return points if not using a certificate. Also in past when returning an item that you used points you'd get the points portion back on your account. Now they only refund the dollar amounts. So if you buy something with points and return it you don't even get anything refunded.

Old 02-28-23, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Well that's bullshit. But avoidable by doing an exchange rather than a straight return I would imagine.
Old 03-01-23, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by b2net
Didn't notice this change until now. Looks like they will no longer return points if not using a certificate. Also in past when returning an item that you used points you'd get the points portion back on your account. Now they only refund the dollar amounts. So if you buy something with points and return it you don't even get anything refunded.
That's only for promotional certificates, i.e. the kind you get in your email for doing nothing, and I believe this is no change in policy. For regular rewards certificates from your points, they still return the points back into your account if you return something. See the question "If I return an item where reward certificates were used, do I get them back?" on that same page you screenshot that from: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/my-best...at312400050004

Expired rewards certificates never got the points returned.
Old 03-01-23, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually had a movie I bought partially with 10 dollars of reward certificates and the rest I paid. I had to get my money back because they sent me the set and the 4k disc had a slice in it. Best Buy had none in stock to ship me another so they refunded my money. I got the amount I actually paid refunded to my card but never got the dollars back in certificates nor the point equivalent. I even called them about it but never got them back. My trust in Best Buy has diminished substantially and so has my purchases from them.
Old 03-02-23, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TheBang
That's only for promotional certificates, i.e. the kind you get in your email for doing nothing, and I believe this is no change in policy. For regular rewards certificates from your points, they still return the points back into your account if you return something. See the question "If I return an item where reward certificates were used, do I get them back?" on that same page you screenshot that from: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/my-best...at312400050004

Expired rewards certificates never got the points returned.
Apparently only for my best buy credit card holders.

"If I return an item where reward certificates were used, do I get them back?

Yes. For active My Best Buy® Credit Cardmembers, if you made a purchase using reward certificates and your order is returned or canceled, we will refund the points to your My Best Buy account within 3–6 business days."

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I actually had a movie I bought partially with 10 dollars of reward certificates and the rest I paid. I had to get my money back because they sent me the set and the 4k disc had a slice in it. Best Buy had none in stock to ship me another so they refunded my money. I got the amount I actually paid refunded to my card but never got the dollars back in certificates nor the point equivalent. I even called them about it but never got them back. My trust in Best Buy has diminished substantially and so has my purchases from them.
Assuming you are not a "My Best Buy" credit card member?
Old 03-02-23, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jjcool
Apparently only for my best buy credit card holders.
Yes, because they're the only ones who get rewards points now. Everyone else was cashed out of their points on Feb. 14 (see announcements above).

Yeah, I think that's a one-time issue, since non-credit card holders no longer get points. Any rewards certificates issued as part of the Feb. 14 cash-out for non-credit card holders will not get points returned to non-card holders if you return an item, because of the policy change. But since non-card holders no longer get rewards points or certificates, that won't be an issue going forward.

Last edited by TheBang; 03-02-23 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-02-23, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am a Best Buy credit card holder and have been for years. I use my card far more often for purchases outside of Best Buy than with Best Buy. And this happened shortly after Christmas.
Old 03-02-23, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am a Best Buy credit card holder and have been for years. I use my card far more often for purchases outside of Best Buy than with Best Buy. And this happened shortly after Christmas.
The points should have gone back to your account. You should call them again, or post on their support forums (they are sometimes more responsive there).
Old 03-03-23, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Best Buy to close 30 stores this year:

https://www.retaildive.com/news/best...s-year/643973/
Old 03-04-23, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 243 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Best Buy to close 30 stores this year:
Interesting tidbit:

Best Buy plans to expand some of its backroom spaces by reducing selling square footage. Barry said one reason for this change is because 80% of SKUs on display on the sales floor sell one or fewer per week.

“Our stores have multiple purposes now and a larger backroom provides better support for other capabilities like our high rate of in-store pickup of online orders.
Old 03-04-23, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

They're losing potential sales by not having their projectors actually set up and running so I can see how they are. Last time I was in one of their stores they just had them all out on a shelf together, not plugged in with no screens nearby. I sarcastically told a salesguy that was a great way to sell them, he told me I could try them out at home but there'd be a restocking fee if I brought them back. I miss the big home theater rooms Fry's had.
Old 05-11-23, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

So free shipping is still there on the free tier (for now) but they are changing the memberships yet again on June 27.

No more free installation at the top tier, but rather
"Promotional service offers from time-to-time like discounted in-home installation and haul away"
They must have been losing some money on that or something:

Old 05-11-23, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Bummer. The free installation was such a good deal. I just had them install a new TV in my office and haul the old one away.
Old 05-11-23, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 436 Likes on 298 Posts

So they now want $50/year for what we got for spending $1500/year before the last changes. Still less of a value unless you use their credit card.
Old 05-12-23, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ehh. Aside from the free shipping. the benefits of the free tier are laughable. The ability to track orders, and look at your order history? So kind of them to offer those for free.
Honestly, depending on how often one buys from Best Buy and what their "exclusive members only pricing" may be, the $49 dollar tier may not be a bad deal. Free 2-day shipping and reduced pricing on stuff.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.