Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

My Best Buy program changes effective 5/3/22

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

My Best Buy program changes effective 5/3/22

Old 01-09-23, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Re: My Best Buy program changes effective 5/3/22

They really don't like giving out those pitiful little rewards, do they?

Seems like they feel like they need to have that rewards program in order to collect data on their customers, but make it pay out paltry rewards and make it harder and harder to get them.
Old 01-11-23, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 261 Posts

Considering I rarely order from them since the store here closed (no local pickups and free shipping only on orders $35 or more meant little to nothing ordered), the free shipping on all orders is, IMHO, a much better perk than the measly reward points. I still won't use them much but they are a bit more attractive now.
Old 01-13-23, 12:18 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

The only reason I order from Best Buy and not Amazon is because they would price match and I would get a paltry rewards of $5 or $10. How bad must Best Buy be in financially that they can't afford a $5 certificate once in a blue moon?
Old 01-13-23, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 831 Likes on 643 Posts

Don't know why folks are complaining about the stupid certificates - free shipping on everything is a much better deal.
Old 01-13-23, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,369 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Don't know why folks are complaining about the stupid certificates - free shipping on everything is a much better deal.
It is... until they eventually get rid of it too. I have no doubt this was to soften the blow of the rewards points, as paltry as they were, going to the credit card. But while it lasts it's a much better deal, considering one of the only reasons for buying from BB is to to get stuff like media or games on deep discount sales.
Old 01-13-23, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Agreed. They eliminated the paltry media section (including new releases) when they remodeled my local store in the fall.

They also added "In select stores. Online offer may vary." to the rewards fine print.
Old 01-13-23, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 267 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
It is... until they eventually get rid of it too..
Exactly. They shown no compunctions over the years about reducing benefits, and I fully expect that by next year, they’ll announce a modification to this free shipping on everything benefit.
Old 01-13-23, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 4,054 Likes on 2,746 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
Meathead (01-13-23), story (01-13-23)
Old 01-14-23, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 267 Likes on 175 Posts

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/14/busin...tpr/index.html

Best Buy’s changes were designed to offer customers a free alternative to Amazon Prime and Walmart+, both paid membership plans, and it was also aimed at getting them to switch to its branded credit card. Around 25% of Best Buy’s sales are transacted using one of its credit cards, and research shows that customers with store credit cards spend more money than customers without them.

But some customers were more frustrated about reward points ending for non-Best Buy credit card holders than excited about free shipping.

Customers on Twitter and Reddit criticized the changes to the points system and said they did not want to be forced to take out another credit card to earn rewards. Some said they plan to stop shopping at Best Buy as a result of the changes.

[. . .]

Mary Pilecki, who leads loyalty marketing research at Forrester, said there are risks to changing loyalty programs and brands will lose some customers.

But loyalty program changes usually are not fatal for brands and are just one factor out of dozens that go into customers’ decisions about where to shop, she said.

Her research indicates that the largest consumer reaction comes in the first month or two after a company announces changing. After that, it dies down significantly.

Old 01-14-23, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 175 Posts

Sucks that Best Buy now wants 38.99 for the Wakanda Forever steelbook that would have been 34.99 before.