Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

eBay and Feedback

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

eBay and Feedback

Old 06-26-20, 06:18 AM

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Re: eBay and Feedback

Originally Posted by rjh_54 View Post
So, I'm not entirely sure what happened, but I went to look at the relisted shirt, and it looks like my feedback for her is gone. Is it that easy to have negative feedback removed?
From my experience, if a refund is given, then yes, it’s pretty easy to get a negative removed. Sad but true, a refund being given doesn’t necessarily make a negative transaction positive.
Old 06-27-20, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 237 Posts

So, I'm not entirely sure what happened, but I went to look at the relisted shirt, and it looks like my feedback for her is gone. Is it that easy to have negative feedback removed?
Same thing as what I wrote several months ago in this thread. Basically, ebay is rewarding bad sellers if they refund by taking the negative feedback away.
Old 06-28-20, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Can I get an opinion about the precedence for the following eBay scenario?

I sold a DVD in perfect shape and mailed it to the client. I received an "Return Request" from the client claiming the disc was cracked. They provided a photo clearly showing several cracks through the centre hub which indicates to me they attempted to pull the disc off the plastic hub without pressing the centre button, bent it like a taco and broke the disc.

They also sent a photo of the envelope and case which were in perfect shape so I figure it wasn't caused in delivery.

I know they broke it but it's my word as a seller vs. their word as a buyer.

I figured if they had the audacity to make a return claim on damage they knowingly caused themselves, it wouldn't be worth trying to dispute their claim.

I bit the bullet and just refunded their money.

Has anyone else been in this situation as a seller and had a better outcome?
Old 06-29-20, 04:58 AM

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner View Post

I sold a DVD in perfect shape and mailed it to the client. I received an "Return Request" from the client claiming the disc was cracked. They provided a photo clearly showing several cracks through the centre hub which indicates to me they attempted to pull the disc off the plastic hub without pressing the centre button, bent it like a taco and broke the disc.

They also sent a photo of the envelope and case which were in perfect shape so I figure it wasn't caused in delivery.

I figured if they had the audacity to make a return claim on damage they knowingly caused themselves, it wouldn't be worth trying to dispute their claim.

Never been in this situation, but one idea I’d lend to help is this. Instead of shipping the DVD the same way it is stored, that is, on the hub, place the disc in a paper or tyvex sleeve, then tuck the sleeve behind the booklet tabs in the case, and ship it that way.

Yes, I’d agree that it is extremely unlikely that’s how it arrived, and there’s no guarantee that the buyer isn’t showing you a picture of different copy of the DVD, perhaps one that got broken before yours even arrived, but I don’t imagine you could prove that unless somebody had written their initials on the DVD or something. Not much you can do but take the hit!

Sorry to hear about this!
Old 06-29-20, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the reply. I guess it's an unavoidable cost of doing business and luckily it doesn't happen too often. It's frustrating because the hub button even had the word "PUSH" molded into it! I pack every DVD with a sheet of foam to help prevent a "floater" but there's only so much you can do as there's always going to a certain percentage of dishonest eBay members.

These are all things Amazon can tolerate and absorb without a worry but it certainly hurts the casual seller.
Old 07-01-20, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orangerunner View Post

This happened to me before. What I did after the first time this happened was to take pictures of what I'm selling before I send it. If it's an used DVD, I would take the photos of the packaging and the disc itself. If it is a new DVD, I would take pictures of the packaging and explain that the item has never been opened, so you don't know exactly the condition of the DVD since you don't want to damage the integrity of the product. In most cases still, eBay will side with the buyer either way and that's one of the reasons I don't sell there as much as I used to.
Old 07-05-20, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

She then canceled my order, issuing me a refund because the item was "out of stock or damaged", and proceeded to relist the shirt.
I submitted a best offer on an antique fishing lure, $20 below the BIN price. The seller accepted. They messaged me the next day saying they couldn't find the lure and asked if I wanted a refund or a substitute item (with a similar BIN price) from one of their other listings. I told them to refund me. They then submitted the cancellation reason as "Buyer asked to cancel the item", which pissed me off. I'm sure they felt it was better to lie about the reason so their account wouldn't get dinged by eBay. Now they've relisted the lure at the original price with the best offer option removed. This joker needs to get off eBay and stop wasting people's time.

Last edited by joe_b; 07-05-20 at 03:22 AM.
Old 07-05-20, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b View Post
I submitted a best offer on an antique fishing lure, $20 below the BIN price. The seller accepted. They messaged me the next day saying they couldn't find the lure and asked if I wanted a refund or a substitute item (with a similar BIN price) from one of their other listings. I told them to refund me. They then submitted the cancellation reason as "Buyer asked to cancel the item", which pissed me off. I'm sure they felt it was better to lie about the reason so their account wouldn't get dinged by eBay. Now they've relisted the lure at the original price with the best offer option removed. This joker needs to get off eBay and stop wasting people's time.
There's always a loophole, and it looks like your seller found it. People are so shady, it drives me insane because so many sellers get away with it. A few days ago I sold a vinyl on eBay for lower than I would've liked (it recently went OOP so the prices for it are slowly climbing), but I'm just going to deal with it rather than do something shady and relist it for a higher price like most sellers would. It's my fault for not staying on top of the pricing for it so I've learned my lesson there.

On a side note - on Thursday I won the auction for the relisted shirt, but this time I wasn't bidding against anybody so I got it for a few bucks less than the first time around. I'm wondering how long I should wait it out this time around
Old 07-05-20, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

So shady. At least you can take small comfort in knowing he had to eat the PayPal fees on that transaction.
Old 08-20-20, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had one of the most psycho experiences ever on ebay. I pre-ordered a comic book about a month ago and the seller sent it to me once it was released a week ago. The comic arrived damaged, not because of the packaging, but most likely because of how it was handled and packed by the distributor. I messaged the seller about the damages with photos as evidence and asked him if he had a replacement I could exchange it for and this where it all went downhill. First, the dealer went all off on me saying that the book was near mint and he knows it because the name of his account reflects his knowledge. He said he had no replacements at all. I still responded him politely and asked him if he could give me a partial refund because I really wanted the book and he responded that he doesn't refunds AFTER THE FACT!!! Then he sent me another immediate message saying to return the item since he could sell it to the many people he has on the waiting list. I was pissed but still responded in a normal manner and told him that I will return the book for a full refund and that it doesn't make sense that he doesn't give partial refunds after the fact because "before the fact" I didn't have the book in my hands. He didn't waste time and sent me a message with this "RETURN IT!!!". I proceeded to file the return claim and package everything the same way he sent it and once he approved the return claim, he messaged me again saying that he videos all returns and that he will report me if I send him something else other than the book I purchased from him.

On Tuesday, I get the refund but since he was such an asshole through the whole process, I left him negative feedback for sending a damaged book but more importantly for his rude behavior throughout the transaction. So what does the seller do? He goes and immediately purchases a DVD I was selling on ebay and an hour later goes and leaves me negative feedback on my account. Nonetheless, I had to call ebay customer service and file several complaints to get the feedback removed and block this psychopath from ever dealing with me again.

As a curiosity, I searched the dealer's real name on Facebook and every single thing I found was either people complaining about being ripped off by this guy or the seller complaining on the most inane things to multiple customer services from places like ebay, McDonalds, Foot Locker, Dominos and the list goes on
Old 08-28-20, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

People say buyer cancelled because of how strict eBay rules are. You’re allowed 0.5% of transactions to be cancelled or have a case decided against you. If you’re below standard for a few months you’ll be suspended. And they don’t care if you are a low volume seller.

So for every 199 orders you ship, you are allowed one mess up.

Ebay is really a horrible place. I wish someone would disrupt them. They’re just the standard for selling thrift and there is no competition.
Old 08-30-20, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
On Tuesday, I get the refund but since he was such an asshole through the whole process, I left him negative feedback for sending a damaged book but more importantly for his rude behavior throughout the transaction. So what does the seller do? He goes and immediately purchases a DVD I was selling on ebay and an hour later goes and leaves me negative feedback on my account. Nonetheless, I had to call ebay customer service and file several complaints to get the feedback removed and block this psychopath from ever dealing with me again.
It's amazing the level of vindictiveness some eBayers will have. I choose to never leave Negative feedback even though it may well be warranted because you never really know what head-space some people are in.
My approach is to let them know I'm not happy but give them the benefit of the doubt and mention I won't leave negative feedback. It's not the most gratifying approach but it helps alleviate problems.

I also approach eBay as a "buyer/seller beware" gamble; I don't wager more money than I care to lose.
The following users liked this post:
Doc Moonlight (08-31-20)
Old 09-03-20, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 227 Posts

I don't like leaving negative feedback on small, individual sellers even when they may deserve it.
Old 12-15-20, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 146 Likes on 124 Posts

Did Ebay change how sellers get funds after they've been paid to ship an item?

I paid for an item a few days ago and the seller immediately was on high alert because the funds were immediately being held by Ebay/Paypal.

In my experience, it was usually due to the seller not putting in a Tracking Number into the completed auction but was told by another seller that Ebay now holds funds for 14-days if you aren't part of their Seller Subscription Program?

Now, this particular seller said (after he put in a Tracking Number) that he wouldn't ship my item until the money is deposited into his account, which is two weeks from now. He's basically waiting for the hold to be lifted.

He stated that he wanted to make sure he didn't get ripped off or have a refund forced on him after shipping out my item.
Old 12-15-20, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore View Post

I paid for an item a few days ago and the seller immediately was on high alert because the funds were immediately being held by Ebay/Paypal.

In my experience, it was usually due to the seller not putting in a Tracking Number into the completed auction but was told by another seller that Ebay now holds funds for 14-days if you aren't part of their Seller Subscription Program?

Now, this particular seller said (after he put in a Tracking Number) that he wouldn't ship my item until the money is deposited into his account, which is two weeks from now. He's basically waiting for the hold to be lifted.

He stated that he wanted to make sure he didn't get ripped off or have a refund forced on him after shipping out my item.
They changed from getting it instantly with Paypal to "Managed Payment" through Ebay. Under Managed Payments, they hold the money to make sure the seller ships the items on time. If he is holding off on shipping the items until he receives the money, he is going to screw up his numbers and eventually won't be able to sell much if anything after a while.
Old 12-15-20, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
They changed from getting it instantly with Paypal to "Managed Payment" through Ebay. Under Managed Payments, they hold the money to make sure the seller ships the items on time. If he is holding off on shipping the items until he receives the money, he is going to screw up his numbers and eventually won't be able to sell much if anything after a while.
He's definitely holding onto the item until the hold is lifted, which isn't until the 28th.

So when the 28th comes around, even though he's still sitting on the item, the hold on his Paypal funds will be lifted?

He printed a Shipping Label with a Tracking Number but won't be shipping the item out until then. Apparently, he was screwed out of another product he sold of the same ilk and is now overly cautious.

Unlucky me for walking into this situation when I was hoping to get the product before Saturday.

The seller was trying to come up with ways to fix the situation (you know, other than actually just shipping me what I paid for immediately) but all of them are a major inconvenience to me. The item has been sitting so long that even if it was shipped out tomorrow, it wouldn't make to me in time.

Last edited by asianxcore; 12-15-20 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-16-20, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

He's definitely holding onto the item until the hold is lifted, which isn't until the 28th.

So when the 28th comes around, even though he's still sitting on the item, the hold on his Paypal funds will be lifted?

He printed a Shipping Label with a Tracking Number but won't be shipping the item out until then. Apparently, he was screwed out of another product he sold of the same ilk and is now overly cautious.

Unlucky me for walking into this situation when I was hoping to get the product before Saturday.

The seller was trying to come up with ways to fix the situation (you know, other than actually just shipping me what I paid for immediately) but all of them are a major inconvenience to me. The item has been sitting so long that even if it was shipped out tomorrow, it wouldn't make to me in time.
So, he is going to get himself dinged on two of Ebay's metrics.

1) "Tracking uploaded on time and validated". since he printed a label, it's been uploaded on time. However part of that metric is "uploaded on time, but no carrier scan". If you fall below 95% on this metric, then Ebay can limit your selling priviliges. So basically 1 in 20 orders can have this defect. If he is doing this for every orderm he is at 0%.

2) "Late Shipment rate". Since the item will be delivered late at this point, he will get dinged for late delivery under this metric. If you fall below 97% on this metric, Ebay can limit your selling priviliges. So this equates to around only 1 in 33 shipments can have this defect.

If it passes the expected delivery date without him shipping or you receiving, you can just file a case. If you do this, they will hold the funds. If he has already received the funds you paid at that point, they will hold that same amount from other funds he would be receiving from newer sales or they could take the money out of what ever bank account or credit card he has on file.
Old 12-16-20, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
So, he is going to get himself dinged on two of Ebay's metrics.

1) "Tracking uploaded on time and validated". since he printed a label, it's been uploaded on time. However part of that metric is "uploaded on time, but no carrier scan". If you fall below 95% on this metric, then Ebay can limit your selling priviliges. So basically 1 in 20 orders can have this defect. If he is doing this for every orderm he is at 0%.

2) "Late Shipment rate". Since the item will be delivered late at this point, he will get dinged for late delivery under this metric. If you fall below 97% on this metric, Ebay can limit your selling priviliges. So this equates to around only 1 in 33 shipments can have this defect.

If it passes the expected delivery date without him shipping or you receiving, you can just file a case. If you do this, they will hold the funds. If he has already received the funds you paid at that point, they will hold that same amount from other funds he would be receiving from newer sales or they could take the money out of what ever bank account or credit card he has on file.
Thank you for all of your help!

I sent the seller all of this information, in hopes that he will change his mind and send the product. I don't want to get blamed if he starts having issues selling because he chose to do this to the item I paid for.
Old 12-16-20, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

not really. Their policy is outlined here. The most common reason I’ve seen is because the seller doesn’t have enough established selling history.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/ge...yments?id=4155

He’s not allowed to do that. Check out the seller policies under “Shipping and handling time” here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/s...policy?id=4346

“If PayPal doesn't make your funds available immediately from payments for an item you sold, you're not allowed to hold shipment until the funds are released.
Note: Holding shipment may affect your seller performance standing or defect rate and buyer satisfaction, which increases the chances of future PayPal payments being held.”
Old 12-16-20, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
not really. Their policy is outlined here. The most common reason I’ve seen is because the seller doesn’t have enough established selling history.
That would make sense.

He stated this has never happened to him before even though he's sold a bunch of items over the past month.

Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
He’s not allowed to do that. Check out the seller policies under “Shipping and handling time” here:
That is extremely helpful. I've been sending him all information that has been provided to me here and that I've found in general, in hopes he'll change his mind.

Even if he does, I still won't get the item in time for an event I need it for this weekend but still will get it before January 2021 (at this projected rate).

Thank you all for the clarification and help. I'm pretty annoyed by all of this and just want it to be over already.
​​
Old 12-20-20, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just came here to ask the same question. A cheap item I've had on ebay for awhile just sold. I was brought to my Paypal account which asked me top click on an agree and continue tab which I didnt because it looked like I was going to be charged for shipping so I just ignored it.
Old 12-22-20, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After messaging information that was provided to me here and through another seller I bought from on Ebay, the item that I mentioned a few posts up finally was shipped out.

Not without issue though. The seller already is assuming that I'm going to steal the item from him upon arrival

This person has been a small nightmare to deal with.