Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

eBay and Feedback

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

eBay and Feedback

Old 06-26-20, 06:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: eBay and Feedback

Originally Posted by rjh_54 View Post
So, I'm not entirely sure what happened, but I went to look at the relisted shirt, and it looks like my feedback for her is gone. Is it that easy to have negative feedback removed?
From my experience, if a refund is given, then yes, itís pretty easy to get a negative removed. Sad but true, a refund being given doesnít necessarily make a negative transaction positive.
Old 06-27-20, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

So, I'm not entirely sure what happened, but I went to look at the relisted shirt, and it looks like my feedback for her is gone. Is it that easy to have negative feedback removed?
Same thing as what I wrote several months ago in this thread. Basically, ebay is rewarding bad sellers if they refund by taking the negative feedback away.
Old 06-28-20, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Can I get an opinion about the precedence for the following eBay scenario?

I sold a DVD in perfect shape and mailed it to the client. I received an "Return Request" from the client claiming the disc was cracked. They provided a photo clearly showing several cracks through the centre hub which indicates to me they attempted to pull the disc off the plastic hub without pressing the centre button, bent it like a taco and broke the disc.

They also sent a photo of the envelope and case which were in perfect shape so I figure it wasn't caused in delivery.

I know they broke it but it's my word as a seller vs. their word as a buyer.

I figured if they had the audacity to make a return claim on damage they knowingly caused themselves, it wouldn't be worth trying to dispute their claim.

I bit the bullet and just refunded their money.

Has anyone else been in this situation as a seller and had a better outcome?
Old 06-29-20, 04:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner View Post

I sold a DVD in perfect shape and mailed it to the client. I received an "Return Request" from the client claiming the disc was cracked. They provided a photo clearly showing several cracks through the centre hub which indicates to me they attempted to pull the disc off the plastic hub without pressing the centre button, bent it like a taco and broke the disc.

They also sent a photo of the envelope and case which were in perfect shape so I figure it wasn't caused in delivery.

I figured if they had the audacity to make a return claim on damage they knowingly caused themselves, it wouldn't be worth trying to dispute their claim.

Never been in this situation, but one idea Iíd lend to help is this. Instead of shipping the DVD the same way it is stored, that is, on the hub, place the disc in a paper or tyvex sleeve, then tuck the sleeve behind the booklet tabs in the case, and ship it that way.

Yes, Iíd agree that it is extremely unlikely thatís how it arrived, and thereís no guarantee that the buyer isnít showing you a picture of different copy of the DVD, perhaps one that got broken before yours even arrived, but I donít imagine you could prove that unless somebody had written their initials on the DVD or something. Not much you can do but take the hit!

Sorry to hear about this!
Old 06-29-20, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I guess it's an unavoidable cost of doing business and luckily it doesn't happen too often. It's frustrating because the hub button even had the word "PUSH" molded into it! I pack every DVD with a sheet of foam to help prevent a "floater" but there's only so much you can do as there's always going to a certain percentage of dishonest eBay members.

These are all things Amazon can tolerate and absorb without a worry but it certainly hurts the casual seller.
Old 07-01-20, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner View Post

This happened to me before. What I did after the first time this happened was to take pictures of what I'm selling before I send it. If it's an used DVD, I would take the photos of the packaging and the disc itself. If it is a new DVD, I would take pictures of the packaging and explain that the item has never been opened, so you don't know exactly the condition of the DVD since you don't want to damage the integrity of the product. In most cases still, eBay will side with the buyer either way and that's one of the reasons I don't sell there as much as I used to.
Old 07-05-20, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

She then canceled my order, issuing me a refund because the item was "out of stock or damaged", and proceeded to relist the shirt.
I submitted a best offer on an antique fishing lure, $20 below the BIN price. The seller accepted. They messaged me the next day saying they couldn't find the lure and asked if I wanted a refund or a substitute item (with a similar BIN price) from one of their other listings. I told them to refund me. They then submitted the cancellation reason as "Buyer asked to cancel the item", which pissed me off. I'm sure they felt it was better to lie about the reason so their account wouldn't get dinged by eBay. Now they've relisted the lure at the original price with the best offer option removed. This joker needs to get off eBay and stop wasting people's time.

Last edited by joe_b; 07-05-20 at 03:22 AM.
Old 07-05-20, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b View Post
I submitted a best offer on an antique fishing lure, $20 below the BIN price. The seller accepted. They messaged me the next day saying they couldn't find the lure and asked if I wanted a refund or a substitute item (with a similar BIN price) from one of their other listings. I told them to refund me. They then submitted the cancellation reason as "Buyer asked to cancel the item", which pissed me off. I'm sure they felt it was better to lie about the reason so their account wouldn't get dinged by eBay. Now they've relisted the lure at the original price with the best offer option removed. This joker needs to get off eBay and stop wasting people's time.
There's always a loophole, and it looks like your seller found it. People are so shady, it drives me insane because so many sellers get away with it. A few days ago I sold a vinyl on eBay for lower than I would've liked (it recently went OOP so the prices for it are slowly climbing), but I'm just going to deal with it rather than do something shady and relist it for a higher price like most sellers would. It's my fault for not staying on top of the pricing for it so I've learned my lesson there.

On a side note - on Thursday I won the auction for the relisted shirt, but this time I wasn't bidding against anybody so I got it for a few bucks less than the first time around. I'm wondering how long I should wait it out this time around
Old 07-05-20, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b View Post
So shady. At least you can take small comfort in knowing he had to eat the PayPal fees on that transaction.