Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

eBay and Feedback

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

eBay and Feedback

Old 03-06-19, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: eBay and Feedback

Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
If the package gets inspected and you get dinged with postage due, definitely file a complaint for that (I had to do that once). Shipping at a slower class of mail than indicated in the auction is against eBay's terms, but so long as the package successfully arrives, there's not too much you can do (since it was free shipping). You could ask for a partial refund for the inconvenience, but there's probably not a way to force a monetary compensation. What you should do, however, is leave negative feedback. If he exceeded his stated handling time (and at 8 days, he probably did), mention that, and also mention shipping at the slower class of mail.

There's actually a https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/ebay-stores/managing-ebay-store/account-holiday?id=4090]vacation setting that you can use (instead of adjusting your handling time), so that people will know orders will not be processed until your return date.
With the vacation setting, no one can purchase your items until you get back. I used to use this option, but then I realized I could just bulk change the handling time and not lose that many sales while I'm away. When I had the vaction setting on, I would get tons of messages from potential buyers asking me when my items would be available for purchase. some of my items were unique nd can't be purchased elsewhere, but many are carried by other sellers, so I'd rather not lose those sales if I didn't have to. It was much easier to just leave it running with the slower handling time.
Old 03-07-19, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going on 24+ hours and tracking still indicates that the label was simply created. I know it's not a matter of the seller being away from his account since he was pretty active while I was submitting my best offers for the shirt. He's also been selling since 2010 according to his profile so he's definitely not new to this. One of his most recent feedback ratings was from two weeks ago and it was negative (his only negative), and it looks like somebody else had an issue with not getting their item within the delivery window.
Old 03-07-19, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by rjh_54 View Post
Going on 24+ hours and tracking still indicates that the label was simply created. I know it's not a matter of the seller being away from his account since he was pretty active while I was submitting my best offers for the shirt. He's also been selling since 2010 according to his profile so he's definitely not new to this. One of his most recent feedback ratings was from two weeks ago and it was negative (his only negative), and it looks like somebody else had an issue with not getting their item within the delivery window.
'm

How busy a seller is it? Does he have hundreds of items for sale or just a few? I would wonder if he just can't locate where he put the item you bought and just generated a shipping label to comply with Ebay's seller expected shipping times. If this is the case that would explain why he generated a Media Mail shipping label because that would be the cheapest cost to eat. He may just be waiting for you to contact him, then he could say, "Oh it must be lost. I'll just issue you a refund for what you paid". I've had a few sellers that I've suspected of doing this to me. I would send him a message and see what he says If you don't say anything, he may not know there is an issue.
Old 03-07-19, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
How busy a seller is it? Does he have hundreds of items for sale or just a few? I would wonder if he just can't locate where he put the item you bought and just generated a shipping label to comply with Ebay's seller expected shipping times. If this is the case that would explain why he generated a Media Mail shipping label because that would be the cheapest cost to eat. He may just be waiting for you to contact him, then he could say, "Oh it must be lost. I'll just issue you a refund for what you paid". I've had a few sellers that I've suspected of doing this to me. I would send him a message and see what he says If you don't say anything, he may not know there is an issue.
He only has a few items up for sale, so I went ahead and messaged him. He was "only able to get it out yesterday because of some personal reasons" (despite tracking still showing the label was simply created). He also claims that my offer price was too low for him to be making profit on the shirt (a whopping $3 off of his asking price). So yeah, this guy knows what he's doing.
Old 05-17-20, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

So a seller stiffed me on a book I ordered online. I filed a report, quickly won and got my money back. Afterwards, I left the seller negative feedback, simply saying that I didn't received the item nor any communication from the him through this transaction. Several days later, ebay removed the negative feedback from the seller's account. I emailed them why, and customer service had no answer for what had happened. The rep for ebay apologized to me through several emails but said that because it was removed, that or a new feedback couldn't be reinstated. This is some bullshit.
Old 05-21-20, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
So a seller stiffed me on a book I ordered online. I filed a report, quickly won and got my money back. Afterwards, I left the seller negative feedback, simply saying that I didn't received the item nor any communication from the him through this transaction. Several days later, ebay removed the negative feedback from the seller's account. I emailed them why, and customer service had no answer for what had happened. The rep for ebay apologized to me through several emails but said that because it was removed, that or a new feedback couldn't be reinstated. This is some bullshit.
Do you have record of what you said in your feedback?

Also, if it was the seller's first time, eBay will auto-remove the feedback. They just "dispute" it and it gets more-or-less auto accepted.

Also, the seller may be able to claim some kind of Covid-19 excuse right now.
Old 05-21-20, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Do you have record of what you said in your feedback?

Also, if it was the seller's first time, eBay will auto-remove the feedback. They just "dispute" it and it gets more-or-less auto accepted.

Also, the seller may be able to claim some kind of Covid-19 excuse right now.
I have record of it and it was the 3rd time he had negative feedback in the past year. Same situation for the other 2 who posted that they didn't received the item they purchased and there was no communication from the seller.
Old 05-22-20, 09:21 AM

Does the tracking show the seller shipped the book out on time or does the tracking show the item was deliveree to your address but you just didn't get it? If tracking shows it was delivered but the buyer claims they didn't receive it in their feedback, it can be removed. I've had to do this a number of times. Also with the whole virus thing right now, there are many post office processing centers right now that are running several weeks behind in delivering mail (Detroit, MI for example), so some packages may get held up in those areas. I've had a buyer file a complaint really quickly on an item and they escalated it right away after the four days were up. Ebay refunded them right away out of my money and of course the item got delivered the next day. I will be appealing that one myself.
Old 05-22-20, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does the tracking show the seller shipped the book out on time or does the tracking show the item was deliveree to your address but you just didn't get it? If tracking shows it was delivered but the buyer claims they didn't receive it in their feedback, it can be removed. I've had to do this a number of times. Also with the whole virus thing right now, there are many post office processing centers right now that are running several weeks behind in delivering mail (Detroit, MI for example), so some packages may get held up in those areas. I've had a buyer file a complaint really quickly on an item and they escalated it right away after the four days were up. Ebay refunded them right away out of my money and of course the item got delivered the next day. I will be appealing that one myself.
There's no tracking number, the dealer never submitted one to ebay. He also never communicated with me or ebay about the book. Basically, I paid for the item using Buy It Now and there was 0 movement from the seller. No emails, no shipping information. Nothing. That's why even the ebay rep that I talked too was surprised about the feedback removal. He mentioned that the seller will get a strike on his record and that after 3 strikes their account usually gets suspended.
Old 05-22-20, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

One thing I've noticed recently is that eBay will add the phrase "Same Day Shipping!" to all of my ads which, when I review my ad details, I can't find a way to remove this. What does "Same Day Shipping!" really mean anyway? If someone orders an item at 8:00 in the evening, I have 4 hours to hoof-it to the Post Office which closed at 6:00?

This is especially precarious right now most of the post offices in my area have reduced hours and sometimes it takes me between 24-48 hours to mail the item.

So far this hasn't directly resulted in any negative/neutral feedback but I'm sure I'll get a righteous buyer point it out at some time.
Old 05-22-20, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

eBay's feedback system isn't trustworthy at all. It's gamed on both sides.
Old 05-22-20, 08:12 PM

There's no tracking number, the dealer never submitted one to ebay. He also never communicated with me or ebay about the book. Basically, I paid for the item using Buy It Now and there was 0 movement from the seller. No emails, no shipping information. Nothing. That's why even the ebay rep that I talked too was surprised about the feedback removal. He mentioned that the seller will get a strike on his record and that after 3 strikes their account usually gets suspended.
Not sure why they would remove the feedback then. I will say that the current "email" customer service roght now is very poor and unorganized and they do not handle situations that are consistant with their own policies and proceedures. I had someone file a complaint for item not as described and Ebay sided with them and counted it as a strike against me. Basically i sold a set of action figures that were listed as used and decribed as "these figures are listed as used because the glue that was supposed to hold the plasitc casing to the card was not sufficient, therefore these figures will be shipped loos with the original packaging. This is what the customer wrote as to why they were not as described " I know it said the figures would be shipped loose with the original packaging, but there is no glue at all and the plastic is not attached to the card so the figures I received were loose and not in the package. I just received loose figures and the original packaging".
Old 05-23-20, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner View Post
One thing I've noticed recently is that eBay will add the phrase "Same Day Shipping!" to all of my ads which, when I review my ad details, I can't find a way to remove this. What does "Same Day Shipping!" really mean anyway? If someone orders an item at 8:00 in the evening, I have 4 hours to hoof-it to the Post Office which closed at 6:00?
Check the “Handling Time” on your listings. Make sure it’s set to at least 1 day.
Old 05-23-20, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Check the “Handling Time” on your listings. Make sure it’s set to at least 1 day.
My handling time to set to "1-10 business days" and yet the "Same Day Shipping" in bright red text still pops-up on all my ads.
Old 05-26-20, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by orangerunner View Post
My handling time to set to "1-10 business days" and yet the "Same Day Shipping" in bright red text still pops-up on all my ads.
"1-10 business days" is not a valid option. What kind of software are you using that lets you choose that? That field is an integer, not a range, and the valid values on eBay US are 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 15, 20, or 30. If your software is sending an invalid value, it might be defaulting to "0" which means "Same Day Handling".
Old 05-26-20, 04:52 PM

"1-10 business days" is not a valid option. What kind of software are you using that lets you choose that? That field is an integer, not a range, and the valid values on eBay US are 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 15, 20, or 30. If your software is sending an invalid value, it might be defaulting to "0" which means "Same Day Handling".
I think the 1-10 business dys is the shipping option and not the handling time.
Old 05-26-20, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the 1-10 business dys is the shipping option and not the handling time.
no that’s not it because eBay doesn’t accept an integer or numerical range for that. You can only specify a class of shipping or product, like Standard or Economy or Priority Mail.

No, fhe logical explanation is that his handling time is being set to 0 on his listings which is why it says Same Day Shipping.
Old 05-27-20, 08:06 AM

no that’s not it because eBay doesn’t accept an integer or numerical range for that. You can only specify a class of shipping or product, like Standard or Economy or Priority Mail.

No, fhe logical explanation is that his handling time is being set to 0 on his listings which is why it says Same Day Shipping.
Ebay has some kind of program where sellers that consistantly ship quickly will be put in the program without their knowlege that has a guarunteed same day/ expidited shipping on many or most of their items. If those items don't get delivered by the expected delivery date, the buyer can get a $5 credit (paid by Ebay). This is all done without the seller even knowing about it happening.
Old 05-27-20, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ebay has some kind of program where sellers that consistantly ship quickly will be put in the program without their knowlege that has a guarunteed same day/ expidited shipping on many or most of their items. If those items don't get delivered by the expected delivery date, the buyer can get a $5 credit (paid by Ebay). This is all done without the seller even knowing about it happening.
This makes sense as to why it may be happening. The reason my handling time is stated as "1-10 days" might be the fact that I am Canadian but list my items through eBay.com (USA), not eBay.ca (Canada).

The "Same Day Shipping" label is also contradictory as I sold an item on May 26 but there is a note with the seller info: "eBay note: Ship by Tuesday, Jun 09". Of course I try ship it within 24 hours but this message from eBay seems to allow me 10 business days to do so.
Old 05-27-20, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here is information about the eBay Guaranteed Delivery program: https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center...-delivery.html
Old 06-08-20, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's a good indicator of how ill-managed eBay really is...

1. Customer opened an "item not received" claim. No big deal. I printed the label through eBay, it was delivered, and eBay or PayPal will eat the cost.

2. I clicked "escalate to customer service" after waiting 7 days (which is their basic rule).

3. I get an error that says "Oops, we had a technical hiccup Please try again later." Sucks. Typical. I'll figure it out.

4. I'm seeing forum posts that this has been a problem since 2014!

In the realm of IT and fixing bugs ... like what the fuck? Are you really that useless that this happens endlessly and nobody is ever going to fix it? What the fuck is wrong with you people?

There's also another oddity... If you buy an item on a Friday, and pay for FedEx Overnight, eBay tells the customer you will deliver it on Saturday. Two things are wrong with that. First, Ebay doesn't even offer the Saturday Delivery upgrade. And second, it's a $15 upgrade that a seller should never be expected to eat. It's been like that since 2010. And they'll probably never fix it. It's pathetic.
Old 06-08-20, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Here's a good indicator of how ill-managed eBay really is...

1. Customer opened an "item not received" claim. No big deal. I printed the label through eBay, it was delivered, and eBay or PayPal will eat the cost.

2. I clicked "escalate to customer service" after waiting 7 days (which is their basic rule).

3. I get an error that says "Oops, we had a technical hiccup Please try again later." Sucks. Typical. I'll figure it out.

4. I'm seeing forum posts that this has been a problem since 2014!

you should be able to escalate the claim after three days. An INR case shouldn't be allowed to be filed by the customer if the tracking is showing it was delivered to the correct address. I don't know why this is not integrated into Ebay's system. If you print a label through Eby, they would already know the item was delivered, so making the seller wait three days is absurd. It doesn't matter as much to me because I have more than enough money in my Paypal account to cover the locking of the funds for the transaction. But for those that have only sold one thing on Ebay in the past month may have already spent the money from the transaction or at least the amount that it costed them to ship the item. Locking the funds in this instance could cause the money to be taken out of the seller's bank account and cause their bank account to be overdrafted and charged fees for ever debit transaction or check that bounced.

I haven't seen the "oops" error in Ebay's resolution center, but I've seen it multiple other places from time to time.

In the realm of IT and fixing bugs ... like what the fuck? Are you really that useless that this happens endlessly and nobody is ever going to fix it? What the fuck is wrong with you people?

There's also another oddity... If you buy an item on a Friday, and pay for FedEx Overnight, eBay tells the customer you will deliver it on Saturday. Two things are wrong with that. First, Ebay doesn't even offer the Saturday Delivery upgrade. And second, it's a $15 upgrade that a seller should never be expected to eat. It's been like that since 2010. And they'll probably never fix it. It's pathetic.
Old 06-25-20, 06:50 PM

eBayers can be so shady sometimes. Last Tuesday, 6/15, I won an auction for a tour shirt I'd been looking for. It was expected by 6/22 - 6/23. The 23rd came and went, with not so much as even a shipping update. I messaged the seller on Tuesday (a week after purchase, the last expected delivery date) asking for an update and all she said was "I will ship soon!" Red flag number one. I kindly explained to her that since it was past the expected delivery date, I would like to know exactly when she'd be shipping the shirt. No response.

I messaged her again today, asking if she had shipped yet and she said she'd had a "busy" week and would ship Monday because all FedEx and UPS stores near her close early. The item was supposed to ship USPS first class according to her listing, so that was red flag number two. I told her I would like her to ship ASAP or I'd have to report her to eBay / PayPal. She then begged me not to file a claim and said she would ship Monday but I explained to her that Monday marks about two weeks since the auction was won and that at that point the shirt would be arriving way later than her listing had indicated, as it's already past that date.

She then canceled my order, issuing me a refund because the item was "out of stock or damaged", and proceeded to relist the shirt. I'm debating bidding on (and potentially winning) the auction again just for kicks to see what she would do. I do really want the shirt!

But in the end, it isn't even about the shirt. I would have been totally fine if she had at least reached out to me and let me know what was going on, but because she didn't it makes me question her story, and the fact that she lied on the order cancellation makes this whole thing suspicious. I do wish she hadn't canceled, but at least I was able to leave negative feedback.

Last edited by rjh_54; 06-25-20 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-25-20, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, that's super-weak. Negative feedback was appropriate. You can take solace in the fact that she also gets dinged for refunding because it was "out of stock". You're not supposed to sell that that you can't fulfill, so eBay will penalize if you have too many unfilled orders.
Old 06-25-20, 10:18 PM

Yeah, that's super-weak. Negative feedback was appropriate. You can take solace in the fact that she also gets dinged for refunding because it was "out of stock". You're not supposed to sell that that you can't fulfill, so eBay will penalize if you have too many unfilled orders.
So, I'm not entirely sure what happened, but I went to look at the relisted shirt, and it looks like my feedback for her is gone. Is it that easy to have negative feedback removed?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.