Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Shoutfactory.com terrible experience

Old 05-24-13, 09:57 PM

Shoutfactory.com terrible experience

Placed an order on May 1st for 2 items that were listed as in stock (3 other items were pre-orders, no argument there).

As of today, I still have not received those 2 items. Over 22 days later at this point. Things started off weird when I logged into my account the next few days, and nothing showed up on my "orders" tab. I emailed their customer service and was informed the order did indeed go through, and I'd have a shipping notice soon for the 2 in stock items. And that was around May 7th. I still have not received anything from them. I e-mailed the company to just cancel my entire order due to the awful experience. The reply I got was a person saying they would check to see if the items were shipped out yet and if they were, they would RMA it for me. As to how they cannot immediately find that information out is beyond ridiculous. So now I have to wait until Tuesday, to see if anything was shipped out. No idea why this information could not be found out immediatlye and it's very bizarre that I have to wait another 4 days just to find that out? WTF?

I have no prior orders with shout factory, but this experience was beyond terrible. I haven't had this bad of an online experience since importcds.com made me wait over a month for an order. For a large blu-ray/dvd distribution company, I was expecting more. Their promo posters were very temping which is why I bought from their website but they'll never see money from me again. Do your best to avoid this nightmare.
Old 05-24-13, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Shoutfactory.com terrible experience

Originally Posted by Lipid View Post
Placed an order on May 1st for 2 items that were listed as in stock (3 other items were pre-orders, no argument there).

As of today, I still have not received those 2 items. Over 22 days later at this point. Things started off weird when I logged into my account the next few days, and nothing showed up on my "orders" tab. I emailed their customer service and was informed the order did indeed go through, and I'd have a shipping notice soon for the 2 in stock items. And that was around May 7th. I still have not received anything from them. I e-mailed the company to just cancel my entire order due to the awful experience. The reply I got was a person saying they would check to see if the items were shipped out yet and if they were, they would RMA it for me. As to how they cannot immediately find that information out is beyond ridiculous. So now I have to wait until Tuesday, to see if anything was shipped out. No idea why this information could not be found out immediatlye and it's very bizarre that I have to wait another 4 days just to find that out? WTF?

I have no prior orders with shout factory, but this experience was beyond terrible. I haven't had this bad of an online experience since importcds.com made me wait over a month for an order. For a large blu-ray/dvd distribution company, I was expecting more. Their promo posters were very temping which is why I bought from their website but they'll never see money from me again. Do your best to avoid this nightmare.
It's a holiday weekend. I'm guessing no one will be in until Tuesday.
Old 05-25-13, 12:55 AM

Right, but the point is, I got a reply today (Friday) from customer service saying they would check to see if it was shipped yet. As a company, wouldn't it be easier to just make a phone call/check to see if it was shipped, instead of telling me they'd check and let me know? That's like calling a business asking them the price of a product, and they return your phone call, only to say they'll check on it later.
Old 05-25-13, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's likely they have one person in their fulfillment "department" and he/she is not at work today.
Old 05-25-13, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

They probably have it shipped out from somewhere else. While it may seem like an easy question to get answered, have you ever had a bunch of things come up where you work that prevent you from quickly finishing things just as they come in? How about when something screwy happens and it takes some time to double check what's going on, which is what this incident sounds like.

If the person you talked to just put you on hold but then it took awhile to get the correct info, for whatever reason, then the customer would get pissed about being on hold for a long time when they think it's such an easy question to answer. At least this way you don't have to sit on the phone and you can instead do stuff while you wait.
Old 05-25-13, 01:26 PM

The main point of this, is I made the order on May 1st. And I still have not received any of my items or a shipping notice. The earliest I can receive anything from my order now would be May 28th. 27 days later. I just want people to be aware that if they order from this website, to be prepared to wait a loooooooong time before they ever get what they ordered.
Old 05-26-13, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

But that's more of an exception and it could happen at anyplace. I had an issue with oldies.com where one of the things I ordered turned out to be out of stock. I sent an email a couple weeks later after the order, which is how I found out about it in the first place. Then a month passes so I send another email. They said they did get a new shipment in but just forgot to send mine out. So if I never asked about it, who knows when I would have got it.

Even with that experience, I still don't tell anyone to expect something like that to happen with their order.
Old 05-26-13, 12:11 PM

The purpose of the "store forum" is to share online shopping experiences. That's what I did. This is the first time I ever placed an order from their website and will be the last.

I have never received an email saying it was not in stock or an explanation as to why there's a delay. In fact, I was told it was "shipping soon" around May 7-8 and clearly that did not happen.

Which is why I made a thread and called it a terrible experience, because that is what it is.
Old 05-26-13, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It seems that you would be better served by ordering your Shout Factory titles through Amazon. Amazon discounts Shout Factory's titles and you can easily cancel an item before it ships.
Old 05-26-13, 03:49 PM

Good point, but ordering from shout factory, they were offering promotional posters of the artwork on the slipcovers. That seemed worth paying the extra cost in shipping at the time.
Old 05-28-13, 12:45 PM

I didn't go looking for it, but recall another thread where somebody else was complaining about their slow shipping times. Perhaps we can also add "disorganized" to that list? Keep updating the thread as events occur. I'll be curious how it all turns out.
Old 05-29-13, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Probably holding everything to ship at one time. They should tell you this when you order, but not out of the ordinary.
Old 05-29-13, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Try calling them: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum...er-thread.html
Old 05-29-13, 10:54 PM

I tried calling multiple times on different days last week, but the phone was always busy.

Got an email back today saying that while I indeed was charged, just the order was stuck in "checkout." Not exactly sure what that means, but they said they can have 3 of the items (not including pre-orders obviously) mailed out this Friday. Hopefully this actually happens.

What's odd though is when I was told earlier in the month that the order was successfully, went through, and would be shipped within 24 hours. That seems like the opposite of what I was told today. Also, when I was told they would check to see if it was shipped out last Friday, I don't see how they couldn't have noticed this was the larger looming issue then.

If/when I actually get my movies I'll bump this thread again.

Only bright spot, is they'd refund the shipping cost for me. Which is honorable and appreciated.
Old 06-01-13, 12:13 PM

Exactly one month after I placed my order, I finally received my items that weren't pre-orders today.

My advice if you order from their website (if you dare), don't be afraid to e-mail customer service constantly if things aren't going as smoothly as they should. If I didn't send numerous e-mails, I never would have received anything.
Old 06-03-13, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Glad to hear.
Old 06-11-13, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My first experience was the complete opposite. I ordered three Scream Factory titles (The Funhouse, Terror Train and Deadly Blessing) on Sunday, June 2nd. I received The Funhouse and Terror Train on June 5th, and Deadly Blessing on June 7th because it shipped from a different warehouse. I'll definitely be ordering from them again.
Old 03-09-19, 07:04 AM

Regardless of people in this thread making excuses for Shout Factory, their shipping is extremely slow and their replies to requests for order status take much longer than the 48 hours that is stated when you contact them. I don't see the point in useless excuses by people who have no experience ordering from them. My experience with their slow shipping is very similar. I live 30 minutes from their office and eat dinner down the street from their office very often. It's not like they're shipping it overseas to get to me. It's a complete disregard for customer service.
Old 03-09-19, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I canít say I order a ton from them directly, but Iíve done so probably three or four times at least. All were during Scream Factory sales and my experiences (including one just a couple months ago) have been fine. Things arrived in a timely manner and well packaged.