Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The complaining about Amazon thread

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

The complaining about Amazon thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-13, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by thefloater
I hate their $35 minimum for free shipping and taxes. I haven't shopped at Amazon for almost a year because of this crap.
The $35 is definitely a deterrent for me, as I stated before, and the tax isn't helping matters either. When they have a b & m store and I can use site to store, then they should be able to charge me tax. Otherwise, it is bullshit.
Old 12-19-13, 09:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by boc4ever
The $35 is definitely a deterrent for me, as I stated before, and the tax isn't helping matters either. When they have a b & m store and I can use site to store, then they should be able to charge me tax. Otherwise, it is bullshit.
Right. They should find a loophole. Like separate the transactions from the warehouses on paper somehow. I know a guy that used to work like 60 hours a week without overtime because they had two separate businesses on paper and put half his hours on each.

Last edited by Viper187; 12-24-13 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-24-13, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Not thrilled with Amazon at the moment. One of the last minute "guaranteed" packages won't be here for Christmas. It isn't the worst thing in the world, but a bit frustrating.

I chatted with them to see what they back up their guarantee with. I figured if it was guaranteed and they don't come through there has to be some offer. They offered me one month prime extension. If it was one of the kids main presents I probably would have been annoyed with the offer of $6.58, I asked them if they could do anything else and ended up with a $20 credit. So i'm happy.
Old 03-30-14, 09:59 AM

The weirdest thing lately has been happening with the #1 release of L.A. Law and Amazon: I look it up to see what kind of reviews it's gotten, and believe it or not, Amazon is pushing Little House on the Prairie and similar country/rural shows as things that customers also shopped for at the same time as they shopped for L.A. Law. Try this experiment: search for the #1 release of L.A. Law and look at that entry, and see if they don't push Little House for you.

Believe it or not, they pushed Little House as a recommendation for me even if I rated L.A. Law with the full nickel (5 stars). I guess Amazon thinks that if you have any sort of interest in L.A. Law (no matter how infinitesimal), you'll automatically like Little House.
Old 03-30-14, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The horror...
Old 03-30-14, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by auto
The horror...
Pardon?
Old 03-30-14, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bmasters1981
Pardon?
...the horror...
Old 03-30-14, 10:41 AM

What do you mean by "the horror"? Did you try that and get the same result?
Old 03-30-14, 02:27 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You are getting your balls broken. The person means that you are making a big deal and bothering to post about something that a lot of people would consider insignificant.
Old 03-30-14, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by RonG617
You are getting your balls broken. The person means that you are making a big deal and bothering to post about something that a lot of people would consider insignificant.
Got ya! That's what I wanted to know.
Old 04-10-14, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started getting emails tonight with stuff I ordered. They ordered Prime Membership, headphones, Norton antivirus, and some other software. Luckily I contacted Amazon right away and got it all cancelled after about 20 minutes and 2 operators (one for software and one for other stuff). Just wanted to give peeps the heads up to be on the lookout.
Old 04-12-14, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by bmasters1981
The weirdest thing lately has been happening with the #1 release of L.A. Law and Amazon: I look it up to see what kind of reviews it's gotten, and believe it or not, Amazon is pushing Little House on the Prairie and similar country/rural shows as things that customers also shopped for at the same time as they shopped for L.A. Law. Try this experiment: search for the #1 release of L.A. Law and look at that entry, and see if they don't push Little House for you.

Believe it or not, they pushed Little House as a recommendation for me even if I rated L.A. Law with the full nickel (5 stars). I guess Amazon thinks that if you have any sort of interest in L.A. Law (no matter how infinitesimal), you'll automatically like Little House.
Couldn't this be just some sort of vintage TV linkage? Try rating other 80s/90s shows and see if the same thing happens. Or maybe they ended up with too many "Little House on the Prairie" discs and hatched this nefarious scheme to unload them because their black-ops research department showed that "L.A. Law" fans show a higher degree of gullibility.
Old 04-25-14, 03:41 PM

I just had a first from amazon.com. I ordered a brand new copy of Continuum season two on BD and they sent a copy still sealed in the original plastic (it still had the sticker promoting season three) but the case was so broken that they actually put it in a baggy and sent it along with my other purchases. I opened it up and the only thing holding the front and the back of the case together is the paper artwork. The spine just fell into several pieces on the floor.
Old 05-06-14, 11:23 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I've ordered a few DVDs/TV Seasons lately where the plastic cover/sleeve was badly wrinkled, don't know what's up with that. It hasn't been a deal-breaker for me so far, it just looks bad.

The one thing that bothers me right now is that normally I'll see a number of the 43 items in my cart (saved for later) increase and decrease in price which prompts me to buy from time to time. About 2 weeks ago (or so) prices jumped up sharply and stayed there. Now there are only 2 items (not DVD/BD-related) in my cart that have been +/- in price, and I'm starting to wonder if Amazon no longer gives a shit about offering said DVDs/BDs at reasonable prices, or if it's just off-season or something (although I have a difficult time believing there's ever an off-season for DVDs & BDs). Anybody else notice that?

Edit: Just had a several more go up in price today. Guess I won't be buying anything from Amazon, at least until this current trend breaks.

Last edited by kd5; 05-07-14 at 07:12 AM.
Old 08-24-15, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This past weekend, I ordered a couple things off Amazon: a watchband, a video game, and two CDs. They arrived in the mail today and the watch band was wrapped in bubble wrap in a box, whereas the CDs and video game were packed together in a bubble mailer. And the cases of the two CDs were, of course, cracked. Logically, shouldn't it have been the other way around? Is there any rhyme or reason to what gets put in what kind of mailer at Amazon? It seems like now, everything I ordered from them is coming in one of those crappy yellow bubble mailers instead of boxes like they used to ship stuff. And its not just Amazon; the last couple times I ordered from DVD planet, they shipped my stuff in paper mailers too. I know there's cost involved in shipping, but shipping stuff in boxes can't cost that much can it?
Old 08-24-15, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by big e
I know there's cost involved in shipping, but shipping stuff in boxes can't cost that much can it?
I would guess it's partly cost and partly speed. Multiply that over millions of packages, and Amazon figures it's worth it to save that much money and time then just replace stuff for the people who bother to complain.
Old 08-24-15, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

big e big e big e can't you see,
Sometimes your words just hypnotize me.
And I just love your flashy ways,
Guess that's why they broke, and you're so paid.
Old 10-29-15, 08:23 PM

I ordered the Blu-Ray set for Chucky - The Complete Collection. It was about $32, the cheapest I'd seen it anywhere. When I received it, it looked horrible. Dings, crushed corner(s), etc. You know those awful DVD holders Walmart uses to display their DVDs? The ones that you have to force the DVD back into when you're done looking at it? Yeah. It looked like it had been through something like that several times. I opened it and there were also some floater discs.

Amazon sent me a replacement and the exact same thing happened. I don't expect it to look PRISTINE, but I would've ordered it used if I didn't want the packaging to at least look decent. A third copy should be here tomorrow. If this one doesn't look good I guess I'll just ask for a refund.
Old 02-19-16, 10:41 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Looks like they increased their free shipping minimum.

This is new, right?

Order with Free Shipping by Amazon

Orders including $25 or more of eligible books qualify for FREE Shipping. All orders of $49 or more of eligible items across any product category also qualify for FREE Shipping. With free shipping, your order will be delivered 5-8 business days after all of your items are available to ship, including pre-order items.
Old 02-19-16, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14

This is new, right?
They also raised the shipping price of a single Blu-ray to $4.98. Ridonkulous.
Old 02-19-16, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14

This is new, right?
Most of that would definitely be new. Is it showing as taking effect immediately, or is there a future date?

I just tried adding more than $35 but less than $49 to my cart and it was indicating that I would get Free Shipping.

Also, shipping on Blu-ray's from mp sellers is still showing as $3.99 for me.

I'm guessing it either hasn't begun yet or is regional?

With free shipping, your order will be delivered 5-8 business days after all of your items are available to ship, including pre-order items.
To a large extent this has been going on already ime, but admitting to it would be new.
Old 02-19-16, 04:03 PM
Banned

Feedback on marketplace sellers is getting kind of pointless. I used to be able to look through marketplace offers and just pick out a seller with 1000s of ratings, above say 97% positive, and expect to get what I pay for. Now I literally have to comb everyone's feedback if I haven't ordered from them before because they're all garbage.

I order a lot of Xbox360 games, because I collect them. I only order new or "like new" unless it's a trash game that's gotten absurdly expensive due to being rare. Problem is, people are ignoring Amazon's item quality listing policy more and more and their feedback isn't reflecting it. "like new" is defined by Amazon as "An apparently untouched item in perfect condition." That means no scratches on the disc. That's why I pay a premium to get games here instead of Gamestop. Yet, I've ordered "like new" discs and gotten ones that weren't even 100% readable. I always use sellers with good percentages and a decent amount of ratings, and I'm still getting screwed more and more often.

What's really strange is that Amazon is covering for everyone that uses Amazon fulfillment now. I got another game a few days ago that was supposed to be like new and the disc was all scuffed and scratched. The seller had 100% positive feedback when I ordered, so I didn't look very close. I left negative feedback for the seller, and they were down to like 30% positive for the month at that point because apparently everyone is suddenly unhappy with them. Now they're back to being 100% positive because Amazon struck every negative!! They add a note "Message from Amazon: This item was fulfilled by Amazon, and we take responsibility for this fulfillment experience."

WTF? Amazon had nothing to do with the condition the disc was in when the idiot listed it for sale and sent it to them. Why are they taking responsibility for THAT? I emailed Amazon literally just to demand my feedback be left standing against his perfect percentage and instead of simply doing that they said they'd forward the info to an investigations dept and refunded the order outright. Who's pocket did that come out of? Amazon or that jackass who listed the item?

Other sellers are just buying their feedback because they offer refunds and discounts to get negatives removed. It's just making the whole system worthless.
Old 02-19-16, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

My guess is they're deathly afraid of people deciding to not use their service so they'll make it good no matter what.
Old 02-19-16, 07:03 PM
Banned

The other thing about Amazon that's really pissing me off is the international Amazon sites. I've got 2 major issues with them. First, they refuse to ship games to the US, in spite of it being perfectly legal to do so as evidenced by the fact other stores in the same countries do ship to the US. The other stores obviously don't have the selection that Amazon does though.

The 2nd thing about the international Amazon sites that pisses me off is the ridiculous shipping costs and times when I buy blu-rays. I can buy a Dvd/blu from PlayAsia/SolarisJapan, pay $14-20 shipping (FedEx Int from one, DHL from the other), and get them within 4 days. My last order form Japan was DHL for $20 and arrived OVERNIGHT. I'm not even sure I can get overnight shipping in the US from some places for $20! Amazon JP ran me about the same in shipping and was also overnight. It might've been $25, but fine. Now, the problem is it's impossible to get the same kind of service for anywhere near the same price from Europe. WHY!? If I want blu-rays from Amazon UK/DE in less than a week, they want like $60!!! I spent $30+ last time I ordered on Amazon DE for 8-11 day shipping. It still took almost 3 weeks, and they refused to refund it. I'm not a patient person. I want the service I fucking paid for, or I want a refund. It's also shit that international Prime members get absolutely nothing. I don't care if it's 25% discount on all shipping options, but we should get something.
Old 02-19-16, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Amazon has lots of fake reviews.This site seems to weed out the junk ones.

http://fakespot.com/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.