Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Returns without Receipt - Holiday 08

Old 12-26-08, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Returns without Receipt - Holiday 08

While this is typically frowned upon most of the year, many people are bound to get DVDs/BDs that they already have or don't want with no receipts. Where is everyone returning these to? I know stores are pretty strict on such returns, but they usually have more leinent return policies for at least a few weeks after Christmas.

Experiences?
Old 12-26-08, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just returned to Walmart a Blu-Ray movie and Blu-Ray disc player. No receipt. Got store credit. No hassle or problems.

Last edited by j123vt_99; 12-26-08 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-26-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk God

I'll just post the inevitable "this is fraud/stealing/immoral/grey area" posts to get it out of the way.
Old 12-26-08, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did a return at Wal-Mart no problem, Best Buy wanted a receipt, phone number or name of purchaser.
Old 12-26-08, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
Did a return at Wal-Mart no problem, Best Buy wanted a receipt, phone number or name of purchaser.
And if they paid cash (Best Buy)...?
Old 12-26-08, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's really lame. Name of purchaser? Sheesh.
Old 12-26-08, 05:56 PM

I struck out at Best Buy today trying to exchange an unopened Band of Brothers DVD set for the Blu-ray version and just pay the $5 difference. They denied me because I didn't have a receipt. To their credit, there were signs up all over the place that stated that they required a receipt for ANY return or exchange. I was honest and told the sales clerk that I didn't even know if my BOB set came from Best Buy in the first place. She said that they couldn't do anything without a receipt. For people without receipts, the employees were looking up people's original transactions by their name or credit card number.

Meanwhile, I saw several people returning/exchanging opened, clearly "used" merchandise like Guitar Hero WT sets and HD televisions. I guess they had their receipts... I ended up selling my BOB set for $30 to a woman in line that had bought the Blu-ray version by mistake and I ordered the Blu-ray version from amazon when I got home. Apparently, my local Best Buy was completely sold out of the regular version.
Old 12-26-08, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like I'll be heading to *shudder* Wal-marr this week.
Old 12-26-08, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Walmart did not accept one of my returns today, the PSP Component Cables, for TV out. It wasn't in their system?! So thats when I went to BB and got turned down there also.
Old 12-26-08, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
And if they paid cash (Best Buy)...?
I'd like to know the same thing. I have a receipt for a couple items (opened but not DVD's or software) that need returned to Best Buy purchased before Christmas and paid by cash. They still want a name and phone number?
Old 12-26-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Walmart did not accept one of my returns today, the PSP Component Cables, for TV out. It wasn't in their system?! So thats when I went to BB and got turned down there also.
Wal-mart has to carry it to return it. As long as they have 1 in stock you should be fine. Best Buy apparently wants to be pricks this year and not take anything back. I'll give Target a shot.
Old 12-26-08, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For future reference, you may want to check walmart.com to see if they carry it... (not that walmart.com has the same exact items as the store)
Old 12-26-08, 09:27 PM

Add Borders to the "pricks this year" category, apparently. I went to one store today and was told they had changed their policy in September and wouldn't take anything back without a receipt. The person was fairly nice about it, at least, and said that she would check to see if any of my items had been sold at their store recently. None had, so I struck out. Haven't yet bothered to try the other Borders store in town.
Old 12-26-08, 10:05 PM

I think Target and Wal-Mart are the safest bets. Wal-Mart, I dunno if they have a limit, but I went to exchange some DVDs the other week and got by fine. Target has a 2-item limit, $20 max. each, within a one-year span. I don't know if they change that for the holidays though.
Old 12-26-08, 10:11 PM

One of the Partners in the office I work in got me Mary Tyler Moore Season 1...but I already own it. I don't even work for the guy (his office is just across from my desk) so I don't want to see ungrateful. I will try Target to see if I can switch and get a Season I don't already own.
Old 12-26-08, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by ElCambio View Post
Add Borders to the "pricks this year" category, apparently. I went to one store today and was told they had changed their policy in September and wouldn't take anything back without a receipt. The person was fairly nice about it, at least, and said that she would check to see if any of my items had been sold at their store recently. None had, so I struck out. Haven't yet bothered to try the other Borders store in town.
Pricks because you couldn't get away with trying to scam them..?????
Old 12-27-08, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yay only 16 post!

I didn't think about Target. Thought about Circuit City, but ugh I don't want to go in there.
Old 12-27-08, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Target is usually pretty tough on receipt-less returns (they also will try to look up credit card transactions if possible).
Old 12-27-08, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by disneyguy View Post
Pricks because you couldn't get away with trying to scam them..?????
Well, let's just say that it was "common knowledge" around these boards that the Border's "return" policy was quite lenient prior to September. I see ElCambio missed the entire thread about their change in policy though.
Old 12-27-08, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How easy is a Circuit City return these days?
Old 12-27-08, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had a wireless mouse that I bought at BB earlier this year and never used. I went to the BB where I bought it and they denied the return because it was "deleted" from their stock. I went to another BB and they gave me store credit with no problem, they didn't even check to see if the mouse was a regualrly stocked item. They did ask for a driver's license, but no big deal. So it appears to be a YMMV situation.
Old 12-27-08, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Best Buy apparently wants to be pricks this year and not take anything back.
Well, yeah. Their profits are down nearly 80% in the third quarter -- they can't afford to buy products at retail price and resell them, which is effectively what happens when you return merchandise from other stores.
Old 12-27-08, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Well, yeah. Their profits are down nearly 80% in the third quarter -- they can't afford to buy products at retail price and resell them, which is effectively what happens when you return merchandise from other stores.
Don't they usually take something back for what it currently rings up at? Or whatever the cheapest selling price was in the last 30 days? I don't think very many stores (with the exception of Borders, B&N, and FYE) sell items for their full retail price.
Old 12-27-08, 12:42 PM

With a less than stellar Holiday Season, most retailers are reporting losses. The last thing they want is to make it easy for returns, thus adding to their already excess inventory.

GL
Old 12-27-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
Don't they usually take something back for what it currently rings up at? Or whatever the cheapest selling price was in the last 30 days? I don't think very many stores (with the exception of Borders, B&N, and FYE) sell items for their full retail price.
It doesn't matter if they take it back at full MSRP or at a discounted retail price -- they're paying more than wholesale, which eliminates their margin.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.