Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DVD Planet Quote Machine

Old 08-31-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by FusionX
I am satisfied with the changes. I am sure its better for business to not buy a ton of bare-bones, obsolete titles that have new versions. Some titles I sent were more, some less, but it seemed to balance out.
^ I'm with you... Glad to see the QM back.
Old 08-31-07, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Mark, I don't think anyone thinks you're taking advantage, I think some people just feel that your present purchase prices are now just more in line with what most sites will offer for DVDs and they miss the great offers and range of titles accepted that were previously available.
Old 08-31-07, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Planet
There was rationale in how I determined what to pay for DVDs. DVDs that had little to no sales history the past 12 months I opted not to buy or reduced the price we pay. Retail price drops also affect what we can sell a used disc for so the price we offer also dropped.

I also increased what we pay on over 10,000 dvds and that has also been noted in a message above. Paying $8 for a $25 retail disc that is on every closeout list for $5 just does not make sense.

I am sorry if some of you feel like we did this to take advantage of you. This was not my intent.
Ah well, I still have some more DVDs I want to get rid of (and that are still listed); the stuff that I can't unload onto DVD Planet (like the old Kubrick discs, the earlier release ofInvasion of the Body Snatchers, etc.) I'll just give to friends.
Old 08-31-07, 05:33 PM
Banned

I sold my old Kubrick discs to Wherehouse and got $4-6, PayPal plus shipping credit.
Old 08-31-07, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Planet
There was rationale in how I determined what to pay for DVDs. DVDs that had little to no sales history the past 12 months I opted not to buy or reduced the price we pay. Retail price drops also affect what we can sell a used disc for so the price we offer also dropped.

I also increased what we pay on over 10,000 dvds and that has also been noted in a message above. Paying $8 for a $25 retail disc that is on every closeout list for $5 just does not make sense.

I am sorry if some of you feel like we did this to take advantage of you. This was not my intent.
Believe me, I understand it from a business standpoint. You guys were giving 2-3 times what the stores around here give for used and some of the prices are still good, but obviously its all the good stuff I wouldn't trade anyway.

I'm not mad at DVD Planet at all and I'm thrilled I got to trade away my older low value stuff and get some good value while I could.

Unfortunately though I have to weight the hassle of boxing everything up and paying for shipping for only store credit in return. With my current stack the trade credit is just not worth it. When it comes to $3 a disc it is just easier to sell it for cash and make the buyer pay shipping cost.

I am glad that HD DVD and Blu-ray is now up for trade and your trade values for them are higher than anything offered locally.

In the end it all works out. Even if I sell them myself for cash I will probably still end up coming back to DVD Planet to buy. I'm really looking forward to some good deals on used HD discs and at least I know used products from DVD Planet are in very good condition.
Old 09-02-07, 11:04 AM
Suspended

The store credit only terms are a first for me, but my collection is now 50+ titles lighter averaging $4.13 per disc. I hope they have some good HD-DVD sales!

I considered craigslist, and I do have an active thread here in the exchange forum, but this is easier than selling 2-3 discs to 20+ people.. and all the communication/shipping to go with it. To see an employee posting here had an impact, too, especially since it looks like he's the man in charge of it all.
Old 09-03-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is tremendously disappointing. Half of my dvd's which I'd hoped to trade in are no longer even listed.

I was looking forward to future purchases with DVD Planet but that unfortunately will not happen.
Old 09-03-07, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, so I picked out a bunch of DVDs I want to trade. Now what? Do I just send my DVDs to the address listed in Contact Us? Is there a special address to use? Do I have to fill out form or something so they know it's my account to credit to? I've checked the website and I don't see anything at all to answer these general questions I have.
Old 09-03-07, 04:50 PM
Banned

I print out the email they sent with the quote and put it in the box, then reference the order number on the box itself. I've traded in dozens and dozens of boxes this way and never had a problem.
Old 09-03-07, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Originally Posted by darkside
Unfortunately though I have to weight the hassle of boxing everything up and paying for shipping for only store credit in return.
So your shipping costs are refunded in store credit as well?
Old 09-03-07, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Chad
So your shipping costs are refunded in store credit as well?
No
Old 09-05-07, 04:24 PM

The trade-in value was still decent on many of the ones I have, so I went ahead and did it. But I will be researching other methods instead of blindly going with dvdplanet.com from now on.

By the way, Mark, are you guys not buying A Clockwork Orange? Because I couldn't get a quote on it.
Old 09-05-07, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I print out the email they sent with the quote and put it in the box, then reference the order number on the box itself. I've traded in dozens and dozens of boxes this way and never had a problem.
Sorry in advance for the noob questions, but what is the "e-mail" you are referencing? I have some stuff that I will like to trade in after running them through the Quote Machine, but I do not see anything that would enable me to receive an e-mailed quote. Thanks.

EDIT: Also, does DVDPlanet accept un-opened, factory sealed DVD's (unwanted gifts) or should I open them before sending them in?

Last edited by BambooLounge; 09-05-07 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-06-07, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe there's a step missing here but there's no place to submit an order for what you're sending in. Wherehouse has this set up like that but all you can do is check out quotes.
Old 09-06-07, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Maybe there's a step missing here but there's no place to submit an order for what you're sending in. Wherehouse has this set up like that but all you can do is check out quotes.
after you add in everything you want to sell to them, click on the button that says "checkout" then it takes you to a page where you either enter your customer number or fill in your info if its your first time.
Old 09-06-07, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jewellrunner
By the way, Mark, are you guys not buying A Clockwork Orange? Because I couldn't get a quote on it.
Same for Shining and Eyes Wide Shut. My guess is because of the new versions coming out soon.

For anyone with a Silver Platters store nearby I recommend them for trade-ins. I got an average of $3.50 per dvd, the only thing is their new movies are almost always full retail, but I was getting cd's instead. I came out a very happy camper.
Old 09-06-07, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am not sure if I should be posting question about DVDPlanet here or the "DVDPlanet Sucks" thread, so if I am off-base, please let me know..I have a few questions regarding their buyback program (and one far more general question):

1. Can I send factory sealed discs or do I need to open them before sending?
2. It currently limits me from trading in more than 1 copy of a title, does that mean I can just submit the other copies in another package or is it one copy per address or account?
3. How long does it generally take for the credit to show up in my account?
4. really off-topic, but...does anyone know if/when 2001: A Space Odessy HD-DVD will be available on the site?

Thanks, appreciate any and all answers I can get.
Old 09-06-07, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[QUOTE=BambooLounge]

They just bought 3 sets of Buffy from me and two were still sealed.

2. It currently limits me from trading in more than 1 copy of a title, does that mean I can just submit the other copies in another package or is it one copy per address or account?

Can't say. I've quit dealing with Second Spin because of this. I sold them a couple of those $2.00 Columbia/Tri-Star titles that were showing up at Big Lots. This was on three or four different orders and they bounced me for it. Even though the website for 2d spin continued to offer to buy them from me.

Here I have some good news. I sent in an order on August 31st and got the credit in my account today. I suspect they got rid of a lot of backlog during the QuoteMachine downtime.

4. really off-topic, but...does anyone know if/when 2001: A Space Odessy HD-DVD will be available on the site?

No help.

Last edited by docdoowop; 09-06-07 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-06-07, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ Thanks a lot really appreciate the insight...should be sending in some discs soon it seems...need a cheaper alternative than cash to start my HD collection.
Old 09-06-07, 10:56 PM
Banned

Wow, fast turnaround. I also mailed some trade-ins off right after it re-opened, hope to see the credit soon.
Old 09-09-07, 06:45 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by BambooLounge
I am not sure if I should be posting question about DVDPlanet here or the "DVDPlanet Sucks" thread, so if I am off-base, please let me know..I have a few questions regarding their buyback program (and one far more general question):

I have sent in many factory sealed DVDs with no problem ... I would think this would be a benefit for DVD Planet as they could turn around and sell the discs as new if they wanted to.

I have sent in the same titles in different trades with no problem.

Once it took over a month, but I think the mail got misdirected (always get a delivery confimation when sending you discs in) ... this last time took only a little over a week.

On the same topic, MGMs Food of the Gods coming out this week is not listed either - yet all the other Midnite Movie releases the same day are - go figure!

Old 09-09-07, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One comment on the sealed discs. I sent in a copy of THE BOURNE IDENTITY that was still sealed and it was rejected. It was half of a two-fer with THE LAST CASTLE and there was a hole punched in the sku number. The reason for the rejection was "damaged" disk although the only damage apparent was the hole punched in the sku under the factory-sealed shrink-wrap. So keep this in mind when trading-in dvds. The UPC has to be intact in order for the disc to be considered for trade-in.
Old 09-09-07, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ thanks for the tip, I'll check that before I send any in
Old 09-09-07, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
The reason for the rejection was "damaged" disk although the only damage apparent was the hole punched in the sku under the factory-sealed shrink-wrap.
It makes sense to me if it's the UPC that you're referring to. They might even scan these items in to verify the title and if they don't scan they don't want them. No UPC - No deal.
If you sell them new sealed titles they will only sell them as used; I've received such condition in some of their used DVDs that I've bought.
Old 09-09-07, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by karsten

I have sent in the same titles in different trades with no problem.
That's interesting. I recall writing Mark to ask if it were one per a certain period or if one was limited to one copy no matter how long had passed since a previous trade in and was told it was one per household period.

I imagine that your experience is the exception and just didn't cause a flag but would hesitate to depend on that always being the case.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.