Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DDD's "20% off" sale... deceptive?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.
View Poll Results: Have you noticed price increases? Will it effect what you buy?
Prices are up, still buying everything I had in mind
6.09%
Prices are up, still buying but not as much as before
31.30%
Prices are up, not buying
20.87%
Prices aren't up, still buying everything I had in mind
22.61%
Prices aren't up, still buying but not as much as before
6.09%
Prices aren't up, not buying
2.61%
10.43%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-05, 02:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

DISCLAIMER/NOTE: THIS THREAD/POLL IS OF MY OWN VOLITION AND FOR MY OWN INTEREST AS A MEMBER OF DVDTALK. MY STATUS AS A MODERATOR (and not even for this or the bargain forum) SHOULD NOT BE INTERPRETED THAT THIS IS SOME SORT OF SANCTIONED/OFFICIAL POLL.

In case you missed it the main thread is here (for now ) http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=444176

People are starting to mention/notice/complain that some of the prices are going up before the sale. Have you seen this? If this is the case are you still going to participate in the sale?

Just thought I'd get a venting thread going

Last edited by nemein; 11-10-05 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-10-05, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is by far the worst I have ever seen them do price increases.
Old 11-10-05, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Considering a lot of these price hikes result in prices after the coupon that would be higher than the original price, I'm not planning on buying much.

The one thing I'm looking at hasn't gone up yet.

Is it overly paranoid not to list the item for fear it will?
Old 11-10-05, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While I do believe prices are up, and I've seen some of the price hikes happen myself, I still plan on purchasing everything I had in mind. I'm not spending as much as the last sale (still paying that off, unfortunately), and the handful of titles I plan on purchasing haven't been affected (yet).
Old 11-10-05, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shagrath
While I do believe prices are up, and I've seen some of the price hikes happen myself, I still plan on purchasing everything I had in mind. I'm not spending as much as the last sale (still paying that off, unfortunately), and the handful of titles I plan on purchasing haven't been affected (yet).

I agree with everything you said, although I am not still paying off my purchase from last time. I haven't finished watching all my previous purchases from the spring sale. I will get the ones that haven't been jacked up in price and let the others sit in my wish list.
Old 11-10-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 310 Likes on 198 Posts
X-Files box sets were $51 this week when I ordered... now they're $73

Not even the 20% off code comes close to the regular price 24 hours ago
Old 11-10-05, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 232 Likes on 145 Posts
I generally don't have big lists waiting in the wings for these sales. The last couple times the sale came around, I just browsed around, found some stuff that looked cool, and bought it. But with all these talks about price hikes, I'm not even going to bother this time.

*edit*
Hmm, according to the other thread, DDD said there was some glitch, and some prices got screwed up. If that's the case, maybe I will check it out, but will definately check all the dvd price searches first to make sure I'm not getting screwed.

Last edited by joeblow69; 11-10-05 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-10-05, 04:01 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just like their past sales, I will buy what I want if they have the lowest price after discount. For the vast majority of items, that will be the case.

I have no problems with them upping the prices. I don't have to buy anything and they don't even have to offer the sale. I'll continue to purchase things that I want from DDD when they are the low-price seller.
Old 11-10-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll just keep an eye on the prices in my wishlist for the next few days. If they don't change I'll buy those titles with the 20% off. If they do, well no dice.
Old 11-10-05, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Having read the other thread, the appearance that this sort of thing conveys sure doesn't look good. OTOH, the one item I've been holding out for (Star Trek TOS season 2) to take advantage of on this sale was dropped down to $79.64

Last edited by Illinois Enema Bandit; 11-10-05 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-10-05, 04:36 PM
Retired

Nothing for me. Never been much of a fan of the store, and with the apparent increases, I'll be avoiding the sale this time.
Old 11-10-05, 05:11 PM

I have about 30 things on my wish list, and only one increased in price (by a whopping $.75). I'm in for all I originally wanted.
Old 11-10-05, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just went page by page through the Comedy/Horror/Sci-Fi sections on DDD's site looking for things to add to my wishlist for the sale. I didn't see anything that looked like it had gone up in price, but then I don't scout their prices out enough to know if something had been jacked up a few cents. All of the prices I was looking at seemed to be pretty much in line to what they always have been, though.

I always hear about them (and other stores) jacking prices before a big sale, but I've never experienced it. If it's a big mainstream title or a highly popular disc (which is what people seem to complain about) I probably wouldn't notice it to begin with, as I buy these when they get released and am only looking for obscure/small catalog titles that probably are overlooked when it's time to raise prices.
Old 11-10-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I noticed a couple things did go up in price on my wish list, but most of the stuff is the same price. So it doesn't bother me AT ALL!!!

WOOO HOOOOO WOOOOO HOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!
Old 11-10-05, 07:01 PM

Well, I sent them an email about a few key items I wanted, and I'll just wait to see if they reply. If not, no biggie, I'm sure we'll both be ok without each other. Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 3 went up $2, that's not a big deal, but still interesting. The Office Collection went up $9. The big one? Sopranos 1-5 went up $117. That's a mighty big jump. We'll see!
Old 11-10-05, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
The only DVD I was looking at appears to be the same price. No problems here for me.
Old 11-11-05, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Everything on my wish list is still at the same price. However, I may not purchase very many on the list since I have so many unwatched DVDs already. I'm still trying to watch some stuff from the last sale.
Old 11-11-05, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
Everything on my wish list is still at the same price. However, I may not purchase very many on the list since I have so many unwatched DVDs already. I'm still trying to watch some stuff from the last sale.
That's the problem I have too. I am definately going to stock up on the Twilight Zone season sets, since without the sale they are just too damn expensive, and I did pick up a few titles in my first order I really wanted. But I seem to buy more for myself during the summer. The November sale is a good time to get caught up on Christmas shopping!
Old 11-11-05, 08:51 AM
Banned

Received 377 Likes on 296 Posts
I am dissapointed that almost all of the ADV anime titles are not available. They appear during a search, but you cannot add them to your cart.
Old 11-11-05, 10:40 AM

its not just ADV anime titles. Its most of ADV's catalog thats not avail.
Old 11-11-05, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

from DeepDiscountDVD.com user on dvdtalk

Unfortunately ADV has chosen not to have their product included in the sale this year. We will not be able to accept further phone orders on these titles with the 20% discount.

Were are removing the product from the search result pages.

We apologize for the inconvenience.
Old 11-11-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There's only one product on my wishlist that went up in price: 2004 RED SOX WORLD CHAMPION BOX SET. It was on sale last month, but reverted to it's pre-sale price this month. I don't hold it against DDD, that's just the way it goes and I'll be getting it for approximately the same price. Everything else on my wishlist has pretty much stayed at the same price.
Old 11-11-05, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by CPT
Well, I sent them an email about a few key items I wanted, and I'll just wait to see if they reply. If not, no biggie, I'm sure we'll both be ok without each other. Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 3 went up $2, that's not a big deal, but still interesting. The Office Collection went up $9. The big one? Sopranos 1-5 went up $117. That's a mighty big jump. We'll see!
I have almost no hope that they'll even see my post in the "official" thread since it's now a few dozen pages long. For DDD to say these prices have nothing to do with the sale is ridiculous. Look at Nip/Tuck, Smallville, The Office, and other boxed sets. DVDpricesearch makes it clear they don't care about having the lowest total advertised price right now, and I can only think of one reason why that would be.

They know what the competition is charging, and they raises prices to well over the competition's prices right before the sale, yet it has nothing to do with the sale?
Old 11-11-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
There's only one product on my wishlist that went up in price: 2004 RED SOX WORLD CHAMPION BOX SET. It was on sale last month, but reverted to it's pre-sale price this month. I don't hold it against DDD, that's just the way it goes and I'll be getting it for approximately the same price. Everything else on my wishlist has pretty much stayed at the same price.
If these are the "price increases" people are whining about here, then this thread is a waste of time. EVERYBODY knew or at least had a good idea that those sale prices in the previous months would go back to NORMAL before this sale started.

It's like saying you were waiting to pick up the twenty dollar WB season sets once the sale started then acting mad that that sale ended before this one started.

When they have these sales through the year on certain sets, guess what folks? Sometimes you can save more than you would at the 20% sale! The 20% sale isn't the ONLY way to get cheap DVDs!!! And somewhere, a DVDtalk.com member's head explodes.
Old 11-11-05, 03:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If these are the "price increases" people are whining about here, then this thread is a waste of time.
Actually I think the thread was a little ahead of it's time. There were some significant price increases people were talking about when I first created the thread. Fortunately DDD responded quickly and the "issues" mostly seemed to have been worked out. I was going to delete this thread but since people had already voted and made comments here though I decided not too...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.