Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DDD's "20% off" sale... deceptive?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.
View Poll Results: Have you noticed price increases? Will it effect what you buy?
Prices are up, still buying everything I had in mind
6.09%
Prices are up, still buying but not as much as before
31.30%
Prices are up, not buying
20.87%
Prices aren't up, still buying everything I had in mind
22.61%
Prices aren't up, still buying but not as much as before
6.09%
Prices aren't up, not buying
2.61%
10.43%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

DDD's "20% off" sale... deceptive?

Old 11-11-05, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nemein
Actually I think the thread was a little ahead of it's time. There were some significant price increases people were talking about when I first created the thread. Fortunately DDD responded quickly and the "issues" mostly seemed to have been worked out. I was going to delete this thread but since people had already voted and made comments here though I decided not too...
I'm glad you didn't delete it, it should stay. Only 4 of the 70 members that voted in this poll are still buying something with a higher price, that's less than 6%! 17 members aren't buying at all. At the end of the day, profit from those 21 customers would have been more than 4 paying a bit more. Those numbers speak for themselves.

Nip/Tuck, Sopranos 1-5, and The Office Collection are still at the much higher price points. The rep from DDD posted in the other thread that all "errors" have been fixed, so given Amazon's price on these titles, it's obvious DDD has no desire to have the lowest total price right now. The timing can't be ignored. I just refinanced my car and saved over $1k in interest, and I'm not blowing smoke when I say that was going right to DDD.

It's too bad, I liked DDD. I even called them this morning hoping to resolve the issue and place a big order. I was told a supervisor would call me back as soon as they were done with their current call. That was over 4 hours ago. Even if they have the lowest price after coupon on most titles, the obvious manipulation of pricing before the coupon goes live can't be ignored. They lost my business for good.

Last edited by CPT; 11-11-05 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-11-05, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Prices are up, still buying but not as much as before. I went through my wishlist and things that the price went up on I will likely get elsewhere. Some items are now cheaper almost anywhere else but DDD. However, I still spent a lot, as most items stayed the same and hence the DDD price trumps all.

I don't think it is deceptive though. The onus is on me to find the best possible prices.

Last edited by onebyone; 11-11-05 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-11-05, 08:48 PM
Registered

Here's my take an therefore the official take of DVDTalk.

I've followed DDD from day one. I saw them launch, they've been a long standing supporter of DVD Talk and advocate of the site. I know what went into doing the first 20% off sale and all that goes into making each sucessive sale happen. It's no small task done by a dedicated and customer focused crew who fight like hell to make this mega sale happen.

So I think it's absurd to gripe and moan that not 100% of the title are included, that some of the prices are adjusted before the sale and that DDD is doing anything here but bringing the single best DVD Bargain of the year.

There's no denying that there are some amazing deals to be had at this sale, and that some of the deal prices will be the absolute lowest price on some of the DVDs you'll see all year. I also think people now take for granted this 20% off sale, as if it's some foregone conclusion, that it will just happen each year 2x per year. If it were only that simple.

So excuse me if I cringe when reading some of the rants about this sale. When the getting is this good you have two choices: either pounce on the deals or pass on them. And I can tell you from personal experience working with the folks at DDD, they DO REALLY REALLY REALLY care about you, the customer, your happyness and thier ability to continue to bring you these smoking hot sales.
Old 11-11-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm glad that I don't take things too personally after potentially bad purchasing experiences. All I care about is obtaining the product I want at the lowest price or convenience if I can. If it's not with DDD, then I'd happily purchase whatever I want elsewhere. No reason to forgo any potential savings in the future just because I can't get something as cheap as I was anticipating.

I'm glad DVDTalk clamps down on the DDD sale talk when it isn't active. Too many people seem to rely on the possibility of such a sale and start feeling entitled to certain prices.
Old 11-11-05, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was planning on spending upwards of $1,000.00 on this sale. My first order alone was nearly $600.00. There can be no denying that DDD made some drastic price increases just a few hours before the sale began, some prices nearly doubling. 80%/100% price increases are absurd under any circumstance, but especially deceptive when you're promoting your biggest sale of the year.

I'm a long time DDD customer, I'm a long time DDD promoter...I find it highly embarrassing to promote this sale to all of my site/forum members, and have them PM'ing me asking about the sudden, widespread, last minute price increases. I don't use a sponsor link on my site because I believe it creates a conflict of interest when situations like these arise.

I will not support or condone what I feel to be unfair business practices. I've placed 100+ orders with DDD over the past four years, spending thousands of dollars, and I've have had nothing but praise for them. Words can hardly express my disappointment concerning this current situation.

I will not be buying anything from DDD during this sale, nor in the near future.
Old 11-11-05, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by gkleinman
There's no denying that there are some amazing deals to be had at this sale, and that some of the deal prices will be the absolute lowest price on some of the DVDs you'll see all year.
Actually, the absolute lowest price on some DVDs were on DDD before the sale:
The Office Collection was raised from $34.18 to $43.16, Amazon has it for $34.97.
Nip/Tuck Season One was raised from $17.38 to $43.18, Amazon has it for $19.97.
Sopranos Seasons 1-5 was rasised from $257 to $375, buy.com has it for $268.37.

While it can't be disputed that 20% is great in theory, the price changes above make it clear that DDD took steps to ensure they don't have the lowest total price. Still, it's their business and they can price them at 5x retail if they wish. But to do so the day before a sale, and then to have a DDD rep post here on DVDTalk that the price changes have nothing to do with this sale is far beyond lip service, it's tantamount to lying. Why not just be honest and simply say they have to protect their bottom line? People aren't stupid, price hikes before a sale don't need an explanation.

Originally Posted by gkleinman
When the getting is this good you have two choices: either pounce on the deals or pass on them. And I can tell you from personal experience working with the folks at DDD, they DO REALLY REALLY REALLY care about you, the customer, your happyness and thier ability to continue to bring you these smoking hot sales.
As my examples above show, the deals I was looking to pounce on are no longer "deals". To have a specific DVDTALK code shows they realize how much the members here spend, so I'm sure they're very friendly with the owner of this site. My personal experience is this: I called them this morning to hopefully get past the price issues on the above titles and place a very large order. I was told a supervisor would call me right back right away when their current conversation was over. That was eight hours ago, and no one has called. Obviously, our experiences with DDD have been very different. Forgive me for disagreeing with you, but these prices are not the bargain of the year, and their actions don't show me that they care about keeping me as a customer.

I'll honestly be shocked if this post isn't edited, or deleted altogether. If it does stay up I'm hoping you don't cringe while reading it, as I'm not ranting. I've been a customer of DDD for five years, and I think it's important that you see my choice to never do business with them isn't as simple as just pricing.

Old 11-12-05, 12:02 AM

The title I was most looking forward to buying (OC Season 1) went from 29.87 to 47.88 right before the sale. Even with 20% off it doesn't come close to Amazon's price of 29.97. I will probably skip this sale (I don't have a huge wishlist anyway) and just buy from Amazon.
Old 11-12-05, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

all of those season sets were on sale, to compete with amazon, at an already low price, they cannot really keep them that low, and let people take an additional 20% off...I know you all would have liked that (I would myself) but it's obvious they raised the stuff they were competeing with amazon on up so they were not selling at a loss...studios have to participate in the sale (evident by ADV not wanting in) ...i'm sure if they could sell the stuff even lower, they would have..
Old 11-12-05, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by pilot
all of those season sets were on sale, to compete with amazon, at an already low price, they cannot really keep them that low, and let people take an additional 20% off...I know you all would have liked that (I would myself) but it's obvious they raised the stuff they were competeing with amazon on up so they were not selling at a loss...studios have to participate in the sale (evident by ADV not wanting in) ...i'm sure if they could sell the stuff even lower, they would have..
You're absolutely right, they raised the stuff so they were not selling at a loss after the coupon. You have just said the exact opposite of what a DDD rep said here on DVDTalk:

Were these changes made specifically in anticipation for the sale? No. They are made as normal course of business, often times in response to our competition.

How can raising prices from below to far above your competition right before your own sale be considered responding to your competition, when their prices didn't change?

I could cite more examples, but it's not necessary. DDD has taken an official stance denying what everyone here knows to be true, even the mods. That is why they lost my business for good. Denying it not only shows how much they don't care about us as customers, it's an insult to our intelligence.

I won't post on this issue again. I don't want it to seem like I'm on an anti-DDD campaign, and I don't want the mods to delete any of my posts.

Last edited by CPT; 11-12-05 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-12-05, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CPT
You're absolutely right, they raised the stuff so they were not selling at a loss after the coupon. You have just said the exact opposite of what a DDD rep said here on DVDTalk:

Were these changes made specifically in anticipation for the sale? No. They are made as normal course of business, often times in response to our competition.

How can raising prices from below to far above your competition right before your own sale be considered responding to your competition, when their prices didn't change?

I could cite more examples, but it's not necessary. DDD has taken an official stance denying what everyone here knows to be true, even the mods. That is why they lost my business for good. Denying it not only shows how much they don't care about us as customers, it's an insult to our intelligence.

I won't post on this issue again. I don't want it to seem like I'm on an anti-DDD campaign, and I don't want the mods to delete any of my posts.
That's true, but some of the stuff that was "not on sale" was raised for whatever reason, then lowered. Firefly for example, was a Fox title, not "on sale", but went up for whatever reason before they lowered it back to what it was. The Warner stuff, and some of the British stuff was on sale because of what Amazon had..They could have raised the prices to more than amazon, but not as high as they did, but maybe the studios had some input, telling them that they were so low for so long, that their price per set went back up, so they had to raise it up enough to a certain point...I don't know the inner workings of DDD, I'm only an Admin here, and I don't know anymore than any other forum member here, but I'm sure they have their reasons..
Old 11-12-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly, I think some people are way over reacting here. Obviously, there is more to it than we realize, perhaps studio involvement in how much they are going to charge for these sets, and their PR responses are just going to be vague and not get to the point. Oh well. But to swear off buying from this store FOREVER? Hey, there are still GREAT DEALS on this site. I think I only noticed one price increase on my wish list (the Buffy set went up ten bucks, but I have no idea if that was right before the sale, but I know it was ten bucks less when I added it to my wish list). They have raised their prices before, even in times when this sale wasn't going on. I've been able to preorder DVDs at rock bottom prices when they are first listed, and sometimes those prices go up after the street date or even before. It's all about TIMING. Just like shopping anywhere, some times you find the best deals on certain items, sometimes other items may be cheaper during other sales at other times during the year.

Really, this 20% sale has gotten so out of hand. I think some people act like this should be the ONLY sale they buy from. Well, I've managed to get great deals on DVDs outside of this 20% sale. You have to shop around. And to just not buy from them because of a few price increases and they are not telling you why because it's probably none of your business anyway, that's just such an extreme response.

99% of the stuff I want is the same price it was before the sale, and I am saving a lot of money on what I am getting. I am going to be a happy customer of DDDVD this month. So sorry others here can't get over whatever it is bugging them, but you're missing out.
Old 11-12-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well said calhoun07 ..some people just..well...I'll leave that one blank or I might end up banning myself ..
Old 11-12-05, 02:02 PM

DDD lowered the OC Season 1 back to 29.87. I will be ordering it ASAP. Thanks, DDD!
Old 11-12-05, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone noticed that virtually all the DDD bashing over prices seems to be coming from the same two dozen or so people who constantly refer to the same two dozen or so titles?

The vast majority of DVD Talkers are finding the prices they expected to see, and are getting great bargains once more from Deep Discount.
Old 11-12-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by marty888
Anyone noticed that virtually all the DDD bashing over prices seems to be coming from the same two dozen or so people who constantly refer to the same two dozen or so titles?

The vast majority of DVD Talkers are finding the prices they expected to see, and are getting great bargains once more from Deep Discount.
Yes, I have noticed that. Sadly, it infects other people who begin to think that their titles have also been raised. Or the people, as has already been pointed out, who are complaining that DDD decided not to run 3-4 sales all at the same time.

I think some people may have a highly unrealistic sense of entitlement combined with maturity issues.
Old 11-12-05, 02:54 PM
Cool New Member

I, for one, had over $2600 on my list in DVDs. They have, without question, fluctuated both up and down in price all season for the last 6 months since the last sale. In fact, several items hit my 'price is right' and were bought earlier.

So with exception of the Star Trek's, which, with even the 20% off, are still too damned expensive, I bought my entire list.

Sure I can hunt around for a better deal piece by piece... and maybe get all my titles in a few years... or I can buy from DDD, show loyalty as a customer rewarding the continuation of this sale each year, the great customers service I have recieved in the past, and frankly, the care with which their sales staff has shown by posting to this site.

So, DDD, you have my continued business.
Old 11-12-05, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by renaldow
I think some people may have a highly unrealistic sense of entitlement combined with maturity issues.
Very classy.
Old 11-13-05, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I posted this in the Bargain thread:

Sopranos Season 1-5 (249.xx after 20%) was lowered as was Nip/Tuck Season 1 (18.xx after 20%).

What I didn't post and just checked.... $35.97 for the Office Collection (before the 20%)

So, they are fixing some of the more popular things...some they aren't. But after seing these changes, DDD made good as they said they would. to them!
Old 11-13-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For what it's worth, I have 60 items in my wish list and the prices on all of them have remained the same or gone down. Sadly I won't be buying all of them this month, but that's not DDD's fault.
Old 11-13-05, 12:11 PM

Imagine if you will, having $600.00 worth of DVDs in your cart. You're sitting there ready to order as soon as the coupon codes are activated. The official DVDtalk thread concerning the DDD 20% Off Sale has begun. You refresh the DDD checkout page to see if the codes have been activated, and wtf?!? ... your $600.00 pre-coupon total has now become a $900.00 total. You notice that there has been a nearly 100% price increase on several of the DVDs you were planning on buying. DVD sets that were $59.00 five minutes ago, now cost $120.00...DVD sets that were less than $75.00 a few minutes ago are now listed for $140.00. Even with the 20% off coupon, these titles will now cost the customer far more than they would have cost just a few minutes prior. I don't think I'm being unreasonable to question such a dubious business practice.
Old 11-13-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
Imagine if you will, having $600.00 worth of DVDs in your cart. You're sitting there ready to order as soon as the coupon codes are activated. The official DVDtalk thread concerning the DDD 20% Off Sale has begun. You refresh the DDD checkout page to see if the codes have been activated, and wtf?!? ... your $600.00 pre-coupon total has now become a $900.00 total. You notice that there has been a nearly 100% price increase on several of the DVDs you were planning on buying. DVD sets that were $59.00 five minutes ago, now cost $120.00...DVD sets that were less than $75.00 a few minutes ago are now listed for $140.00. Even with the 20% off coupon, these titles will now cost the customer far more than they would have cost just a few minutes prior. I don't think I'm being unreasonable to question such a dubious business practice.
I'd be upset, remove the items in my cart that have gone up noticably in price, purchase the DVD's that are still cheaper then other retailers, and then go on my merry way.

And then after reading these threads, i'd check which prices have been since adjusted a day after, and make another purchase on DVD's that I had wanted that were cheaper then other retailers.
Old 11-13-05, 02:35 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Oh gheez, why oh why was this thread started?..just to hear people bitch??..For the most part on most titles they are still cheaper then Amazon or where ever else you want to look..give them a break..they have to make a living too ya know. They are not in business to give you DVD's for nothing. What I hate most is when people who don't shop on DDD all year round only pop in for the 20% sale then complain..get a life already. All I can say is we should be lucky there is a alternative to other sites like Amazon(though I use them too ,and like them)..I only bought a few things this sale becaue I bought allot last week and the week before..sure I missed out on the sale but I still saved over $30 on what it would have cost me on other sites..
Old 11-13-05, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
Imagine if you will, having $600.00 worth of DVDs in your cart....
I don't have to imagine it - I remember t from your previous post ... and the one before that .... and the one before that .... all 8 or 9 of your posts saying the same thing.

If you've decided that you no longer want to be a customer of Deep Discount, perhaps your energies could be directed elsewhere.
Old 11-13-05, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe
Very classy.

You have no one but yourself to blame for your posts in the other thread.

Last edited by renaldow; 11-13-05 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-13-05, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by marty888
I don't have to imagine it - I remember t from your previous post ... and the one before that .... and the one before that .... all 8 or 9 of your posts saying the same thing.

If you've decided that you no longer want to be a customer of Deep Discount, perhaps your energies could be directed elsewhere.
Here's a thought...try minding your own business. My grievance is legitimate. I honestly doubt that there are a dozen people on this forum who have supported DDD more faithfully than I have over the course of the past four years. I vigorously promote them without any financial incentive to do so. Regarding DDD, this is my first complaint of any sort. When DDD is worthy of praise (which is the vast majority of the time), I give it...but on those rare occasions when they are deserving of criticism, I'll damn well give that too.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.