Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Reward Zone: Is it Worth It?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-05, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a second year member of RZ, I became soured after I renewed last July. Two months later, Best Buy went from buying $125 to get a $5 certificate to the current $150.

As I am faced with another renewal I am wondering if it is really worth it to get the equivalent of a 3-1/3% discount. Another merchant that charges for its reward program, Barnes and Noble charges $25/year, but gives its members an additional 10% discount.

Facing renewal--is it worth it?
Old 07-28-05, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you make more than $300-a-year in puchase at Best Buy, then yes. If not, no.
Old 07-28-05, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd definately say it's worth it. Even if you're only picking up new release dvds there while they're on sale. Even if BB doesn't have the best price, you can always price match and get the lower price, plus get your points. If you buy an average of 1 new release a week at $15, that's $780 spent, so you've definately "made your money back" on the card renewal. If you're buying any major electronics or appliances, then that would just sweeten the deal.
Old 07-28-05, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerry P.
It's as simple as that.
Old 07-28-05, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess it's worth it....if you shop there often. However, they always seem to have DVD/Video Game deals for RZ members ONLY. Those usually save you $3-$10 a pop
Old 07-28-05, 09:26 AM

It was a no brainer for me as I get most of my dvd's from there anyway (B&M or Website) and I use the Best Buy store card just for purchasing dvd's as it is easier for me to keep track of my dvd spending that way.

Take care all!!
Old 07-28-05, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got my RZ card for free, but it would have been worth it for a purchase that I made just a couple of days ago. Remington Steele Season 1 was only $19.99 for RZ card holders-it's $29.99 if you don't have a RZ card. That alone would have paid for the card for a year.
Old 07-28-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Everything already seems to have been said.. I struggle with this thought also when it comes renewal time. Both myself and my wife have Replay (I'm the only one with a RZ membership), and I'll probably be letting mine expire. If they price matched it'd be different, but I haven't shopped there in the last six months.
Old 07-28-05, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I got my RZ card for free, but it would have been worth it for a purchase that I made just a couple of days ago. Remington Steele Season 1 was only $19.99 for RZ card holders-it's $29.99 if you don't have a RZ card. That alone would have paid for the card for a year.
I got my original RZ card for free as well, as I guess they were trying them out on their "preferred" customers first to get the ball rolling. I then had to renew the second year, and this year, they sent me a letter in the mail saying I was renewed again for free. While BB does suck in some ways, they do know how to get things right occassionally.
Old 07-28-05, 01:04 PM

they pester me about the renewal everytime I purchase something lately, that and the magazine speal.....no and no.
Although they mentioned a two year renewal for 15.99 the last time.
I am going to wait til the last minute and see what they do, I got about 55$ in certs so far, (dont know yearly breakdown, but prolly 20-30 in certs a yr) but the special offers for RZ members they been doing lately like remington steel and 3rd rock, (WAITING on galactica, this version is bare bones) and the 2 for 22 on greatest hits games are almost worth it for that alone. Its not just the certs themselves, and they know that, they are complicating it in a good way, so it isnt simple math anymore like (over 300$ spent = no brainer)
Old 07-28-05, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 193 Likes on 135 Posts
They recently renewed me for free. Has anyone else gotten this? I wonder if they give a free renewal to people that might have spent more than a set amount in BB stores? Like others have said, it's simple math -- if you buy enough to get >$10 in coupons, then it pays for itself.

About the RZ card -- has anyone given them their e-mail in exchange for "points"? They keep sending me mail bugging me to do this -- which I haven't because I get enough junk e-mail as it is, and don't believe them when they say you wouldn't get put on unwanted mailing lists.
Old 07-28-05, 10:18 PM

It depends on what and how much you buy.
I first got mine when I bought a big screen TV. The ten dollars it cost resulted in enough reward zone dollars to buy a 250 watt JBL subwoofer and a few other items

In the two years since I usually spend enough to get about $5 a month. These are purchases I would make even without reward zone.

In the last few months BB has began offering special discounts to reward zone members, usually DVD's. I was going to buy these anyway. The savings have more than paid for the yearly subscription.

I read somewhere about 4-5 months ago that BB was planning on doing away with its rebates(I assume its the BB rebates not the manufactures) and offer the savings to reward zone members.
Old 07-29-05, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by brainee
About the RZ card -- has anyone given them their e-mail in exchange for "points"? They keep sending me mail bugging me to do this -- which I haven't because I get enough junk e-mail as it is, and don't believe them when they say you wouldn't get put on unwanted mailing lists.
Yes, I gave them my e-mail and do not seem to get much from them. I sometimes wonder if they are actually sending anything out.
Old 07-29-05, 11:42 AM

I would say no because I brought a computer and for some reason they said my address couldnt be found...they thought i lived in an apartment or something...i brought the computer in feb. and still have not recieved any of my gift cards.
Old 07-29-05, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerry P.
This is why it has not been worth it for me.
Old 07-30-05, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by brainee
They recently renewed me for free. Has anyone else gotten this? I wonder if they give a free renewal to people that might have spent more than a set amount in BB stores? Like others have said, it's simple math -- if you buy enough to get >$10 in coupons, then it pays for itself.
I've never paid for the membership, it was given to me when the program started and it keeps getting renewed.
Old 07-30-05, 02:46 PM

They just renewed me for the second time, too. I also got a coupon for 2x points on any item purchased between now and 8/31.
Old 07-30-05, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's been well worth it for me.
Old 07-31-05, 09:05 AM

As the original poster on this thread, I am jealous that some of you received free renewals.

I buy there regularly, but don't seem to be in the "inner circle." I guess I'm just not a "preferred" customer any longer.

If I would have received a free renewal, I probably would have renewed. But the program has so many drawbacks (unless you spend mucho bucks), it's just not worth it.
Old 07-31-05, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dvdirv
As the original poster on this thread, I am jealous that some of you received free renewals.

I buy there regularly, but don't seem to be in the "inner circle." I guess I'm just not a "preferred" customer any longer.

If I would have received a free renewal, I probably would have renewed. But the program has so many drawbacks (unless you spend mucho bucks), it's just not worth it.
I'm betting that most of the people who got the free memberships had a BB card beforehand, and bought more than software with it.

If you just buy DVDs, CDs or games there, I don't think you'll ever be a preferred member. You have to buy a good amount of hardware. Hardware is where they make their money, all software is sold at cost or below. In the year before RZ started, and since then, I've bought 2 TVs, various components, 2 PCs, and a few large appliances. None of it because I'm a loyal BB customer, but only because they had the best price at the time. I also bought plenty of stuff from their competitors, too.

Since I bought a ton of merchandise, all of it trackable back to me because of the card (and later RZ) I'm guessing that's why I got the free membership, and probably why some of the others did too.
Old 07-31-05, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 201 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdirv

What are some of these "drawbacks" you speak of?
Old 08-01-05, 03:51 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My RZ card has just expired and the website says I have 30 days to renew it in order to avoid losing the points! Where is my free renewal offer
Old 08-01-05, 08:55 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by eau
My RZ card has just expired and the website says I have 30 days to renew it in order to avoid losing the points! Where is my free renewal offer
You are only losing whatever leftover points you have to get to the next $5 certificate. So its probably only a buck or two, $4.99 max that you are 'losing'.

I'd consider waiting to see if you get a free renewal like so many of us did.

It usually kicks in after yours expires.
Old 08-01-05, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
I paid the first year, got a free renewal the second year. I don't spend a whole lot of money there, but made about 20 bucks the first year, and nothing yet.
However, last week, they had Ps2 Greatest Hits games, normally 19.99, 2 for 35, but 2 for 22 for RZ members. So I saved 18 bucks on the two games I bought, which would have made paying for the membership worth it right there.
If you can take advantage of one of those deals, it's worth it. I don't, however, think it's the greatest deal in the world, especially since they raised the point values. If you can catch a 'RZ Members Only' deal, that helps a bit.
Old 08-01-05, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by renaldow
I'm betting that most of the people who got the free memberships had a BB card beforehand, and bought more than software with it.

Probably.

I'm another that gets free renewal... I've had a card for years, bought my HDTV from BB 3 or 4 years ago, just picked up a new Wega for my bedroom, speakers, DVD players, Playstations, car stereo for the ex (grrr), receivers, etc...

But even if I didn't get the card for free, it would be well worth it for me. I rarely buy DVDs or games at BB but when I need (errr, want) hardware I usually go to BB. When they toss in the no financing for xxx months on your BB card, I usually bite.

But Gerry P pretty much summed it up... Depends on what you buy. If you buy a new fridge, then yeah... RZ is absolutely worth it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.