Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Reward Zone: Is it Worth It?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Reward Zone: Is it Worth It?

Old 08-01-05, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had my RZ card renewed about a month ago (originally expires end of this month) and received the 2x coupon. I have only purchased DVDs in the past year, minus one laptop.

My mother, who had an RZ card, also got a renewal letter today. She, since I had my own card, made no purchases at all last year, yet got renewed.
Old 08-01-05, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Sure, if you buy a lot of DVDs, which I guess you do since you're a member here. Just be patient with the coupons though, as they take their precious time mailing them out to you.
Old 08-01-05, 09:34 PM

I just got a free renewal in the mail today PLUS coupon for double pts. I have not bought that much overall - done some PMing -- only recently bought a couple cables with 10% off coupons. And to top it off, my card does not expire until end of October and they are already renewing me. This is crazy !!! but I'll take it.
Old 08-02-05, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Maxflier
What are some of these "drawbacks" you speak of?
Take you pick of the drawbacks:

1) Actual rebated discount is 3-1/3%
2) You need to wait 2 months just to receive your coupon
3) If you return an item, you lose your RZ coupon
4) If you pay the $9.99 renewal, you need to spend $450 just to get your first $5 RZ coupon (on top of the renewal fee).
Old 08-02-05, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. It still beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
2. But it still comes. I wait all year for Christmas.
3. Yeah, that definitely is a downer.
4. Yeah, if you just buy games, dvds, and the like that's a lot of merchandise. But if you're planning on buying any hardware or an appliance, it's still a good deal.

You make some compelling points though. If my free renewals stop, I don't know if I'll pay to renew.
Old 08-02-05, 01:11 AM

This is crap. I've always had to pay to renew my RZ!!!!
Old 08-02-05, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
1) Still better than paying full price,wouldn't you say?
2) That is kinda slow,but it's not like you depend on them to put food on the table.
3) But get credited for the points.
4) Which goes back to it being worth it only if you know you will spend X amount of money.

I honestly don't consider any of that stuff to be drawbacks,it's not like there are penalties and stuff you have to watch out for in the RZ program.You just pay the $10 bucks and earn certs.I guess it's not such a big deal to me since i make way more back in certs than i spend for the stupid card (which is only $10 in the first place).
Old 08-02-05, 08:19 AM

Regarding receiving the coupons, do you guys use/know about the e-mail option? It's certainly alot quicker than snail-mail. It does take about a month or so for them to credit points from purchases.
Old 08-02-05, 10:40 AM

With getting coupons, I switched back to snail-mail since I had a couple of problems receiving them. Got the first few fine and then nada. So I went back to snail-mail and have been happy ever since.
Old 08-02-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
It *can* be worth it, if you spend 300+ or take advantage of some of the 'additional dollars off' deals.

Just like the frequent shopper cards at the grocery stores, they don't always get you the best prices either.
Old 08-02-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdirv
Take you pick of the drawbacks:

1) Actual rebated discount is 3-1/3%
2) You need to wait 2 months just to receive your coupon
3) If you return an item, you lose your RZ coupon
4) If you pay the $9.99 renewal, you need to spend $450 just to get your first $5 RZ coupon (on top of the renewal fee).
Not drawbacks, because they're not taking money away from you. The only drawback is if you get less than 10 bucks of coupons during the year (or if you foolishly buy overpriced stuff from there because you have the card). I mean, I hate the fact that they raised the amount needed to get a 5 dollar cert "by customer demand," but it's still "free" money. I also fear that most of the "hot" loss leader deals will be RZ-only soon.

As for 3), you no longer lose your RZ coupon when you return an item you purchased with it: they send you another cert (or credit your RZ points pool, I forget which).
Old 08-04-05, 04:07 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig
As for 3), you no longer lose your RZ coupon when you return an item you purchased with it: they send you another cert (or credit your RZ points pool, I forget which).
I think they credit your RZ account with the 'returned' points, and once you got enough points, they send you another cert.
Old 08-06-05, 12:37 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I just got one of those 30,000 points for renewing my RZ for $9.99. So it looks like I make a penny by prepaying $9.99 on some future purchase.

The email is a generic coupon with my name inserted on it.
Old 08-07-05, 05:15 AM
Banned

The one drawback that I have always had with the RZ coupons is that you can't use a RZ coupon and do a proper price match. That is because they take the amount off the actual price of an item instead of applying the RZ coupon as a payment. The RZ should be used applied like a GC. This would also solve problems with returns, as if you had multiple purchases on a receipt and they would refund you your primary payment first up until the point of the RZ coupon (just like a GC), and then the can deduct the RZ points from your account. That way, a person isn't penalized pricewise for returning a DVD amongst 4 on a receipt.
Old 08-07-05, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Heathen
The one drawback that I have always had with the RZ coupons is that you can't use a RZ coupon and do a proper price match. That is because they take the amount off the actual price of an item instead of applying the RZ coupon as a payment.
Just don't use the RZ coupon when doing a price match then.
Old 08-07-05, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by reverie
If they price matched it'd be different, but I haven't shopped there in the last six months.
But the do price match - done it many times myself...
Old 08-07-05, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by dvdirv
As the original poster on this thread, I am jealous that some of you received free renewals.

I buy there regularly, but don't seem to be in the "inner circle." I guess I'm just not a "preferred" customer any longer.
I'm not sure what criteria they used for the free renewals. I just got a letter saying I had been renewed for free. I have made no major purchases in the last year, just DVDs and maybe a couple games. So I don't think I got it due to the large amount I had spent by any means...
Old 08-07-05, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The one drawback that I have always had with the RZ coupons is that you can't use a RZ coupon and do a proper price match. That is because they take the amount off the actual price of an item instead of applying the RZ coupon as a payment. The RZ should be used applied like a GC. This would also solve problems with returns, as if you had multiple purchases on a receipt and they would refund you your primary payment first up until the point of the RZ coupon (just like a GC), and then the can deduct the RZ points from your account. That way, a person isn't penalized pricewise for returning a DVD amongst 4 on a receipt.
If I'm going to price match something and use a RZ certificate, I'll make sure they pricematch it first and then after giving me the new total, give them the certificate to knock off another $5 off the price.

Most places that you use a $x off coupon will just split the coupon so that it takes off the same amount for each item you buy.

I renewed mine today. Since I got 30,000 bonus points, it paid for itself. Sure, I have to wait 6-8 weeks to get the certificates but it'll come in time for some fall DVD purchases. Also, I didn't even need the e-mail coupon to get the 30,000 bonus points. Excellent!
Old 08-07-05, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by shelland
But the do price match - done it many times myself...
Your store must be an exception
Old 08-07-05, 07:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by renaldow
Just don't use the RZ coupon when doing a price match then.
I don't. For items that I am pricematching, I have them ring them up separately.
Old 08-07-05, 07:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
If I'm going to price match something and use a RZ certificate, I'll make sure they pricematch it first and then after giving me the new total, give them the certificate to knock off another $5 off the price.
The problem that I have them doing it that way (and assuming that they are willing to... that's another story...), you don't get the 10% difference.
Old 08-07-05, 07:42 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Yep, I always buy it at full price first, and then do the price match to get the extra 10% off.

And just to be safe, I try to only use RZ certificates on items that I'm pretty sure I won't return or pricematch.
Old 08-07-05, 08:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trevor
Yep, I always buy it at full price first, and then do the price match to get the extra 10% off.

And just to be safe, I try to only use RZ certificates on items that I'm pretty sure I won't return or pricematch.
That is EXACTLY my strategy as well!
Old 08-16-05, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I follow the same strategy too. Unfortunately being a little wishy-washy it's often hard for me to know whether I'm going to keep something, so I have to save RZ certificates for special occasions. My store has allowed me to pricematch stuff and use RZ certificates, but they always prorate the items so you'd lose part of your certificate if you return. The best way to look at a RZ certificate is anything you buy on that order is "all sales final" unless you want to lose the certificate.

I wasn't planning on renewing my RZ, but I got the 30,000 bonus points offer in the store today. I saw it pop up on the screen and the guy didn't mention it, so I said "what's that?" So I paid the $9.99 hoping they come through with the bonus points. The part that bothered me is that I didn't have any actual written proof of the 30,000 bonus points nor did it show up on my receipt. Did anyone else get written proof of the bonus points or are we all just trusting BBY to follow through in a couple months?
Old 08-17-05, 03:15 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Darn! I didn't get the bonus point offer at the register when I used mine near the end of last month (when mine expired 7/31). Now it expired, can I still use it on a purchase so that the bonus point offer might appear?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.