Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Dvdsoon: Warning No Refunds Made Now

Old 08-05-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

At least they won't be charging until it is shipped in a few weeks. Doesn't mean that they are not the biggest bunch of crooks/incompetents on the net:

Dear Client,

We are happy to announce that, in just a few short weeks, a new payment system will be implemented.

Due to a large client demand, your credit card will no longer be charged when you place the order, but when the order is shipped.

Evidently, this implies major technical modifications that can cause temporary delays of some of our operations.

However, we are working to ensure that these changes will be done as soon as possible, and we hope that the implementation of the new system will meet the needs of our clients.

Please be assured that we continuously strive to improve the quality of our services, and that we will inform you once the new system is available.

Thank you for your comprehension.

The Administration
DVDSoon.com
Old 08-10-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

After much bitching and moaning, I got my refund today. I still lost money on the transaction, but at least it is over. I won't make that mistake again. I hope everyone else got their refunds.
Old 08-11-05, 12:04 PM

onebyone: Outstanding, you seem the only person who got something back from these crooks.

For others who want to get some action, this link below is to get the cops involved. The more complaints the quicker it might get resolved. It's a bit of work but better than sitting feeling helpless against DVDsoon con artists.

http://www.recol.ca/intro.aspx?lang=en
Old 08-11-05, 04:15 PM
Cool New Member

Wow, I feel bad for everyone that has to deal with this mess. I'm lucky I did not order anything from them, but a similar situation happened to me when I was trying to order something from an art supply website a few years ago .. I was getting about $40 worth of supplies and the site went under .. never got a refund.
Old 08-13-05, 05:28 AM

The latest B.S.:

August 12, 2005.

We are happy to announce the implementation of our new payment system. Due to popular demand, your orders will now be charged at the time of shipment instead of at the time of the order.

However, due to compatibility and accounting reasons all pending orders had to be canceled. Unfortunately it was impossible to overlap the two different payment systems. Credits have been issued to your DVDSoon account so that you may replace your orders once again. In order to help you locate the items that have been canceled you will now have access to a list of canceled orders and their contents in your account.

Free Shipping
Our free shipping has returned! Anyone who orders three or more items will now be offered to have their items shipped for Free through out Standard shipping method. Please note that one or more of the items on your order must be eligible for free shipping in order to participate. Also, in order to ensure that you will be able to benefit from this offer, all items must ship together.

Fidelity iPoints
Also, all of our clients will now start accumulating Fidelity iPoints. For each dollar you spend you will be rewarded 1 fidelity iPoint. These points can be redeemed towards various promotional items or DVDs. Please visit the following web page for further information: Fidelity Rewards.

Fidelity iCard
We regret to inform our clients that we have had to withdraw the fidelity iCard from all of our clients. For those who are iCard holders, a credit will be issued according to the remaining amount of months as well as the use of your membership as form of compensation for the loss of your card.

In closing, we welcome all of our clients to visit our Terms of Use and *FAQ* for in depth explanations of the new changes that have taken place on our site.

The Administration
DVDSoon.com
Old 08-13-05, 09:06 AM

They also added in their terms of use section this little rule.

After telling everyone for weeks they were working on a new improved method of refunding money to our important cutomers they unveiled it at about 3.00 AM this morning.

"Refunds
No refunds will be issued by DVDSoon.com."

What a great new system. I'm sure evey customer will benefi from this change.

They have played with their customers for months, announcing pending improvements, just to keep the money and lengthen the time for chargebacks to be made to Credit Card companies. Making it harder to make a chargeback.
Old 08-13-05, 09:33 AM

Where did you see that? I see:

"23. I got a store credit for a voided item / order, but I want my money back.
More to come... "

Not much better
Old 08-13-05, 10:06 AM

It's here in their "TERMS OF USE" conditions.

Non-refundable credits
A non-refundable credit will be issued for all product replacement request. The credits available in your account can be applied to your future purchases.

Refunds
No refunds will be issued by DVDSoon.com.

Order cancellation
DVDSoon.com reserves the right to cancel any order, at any time.

At the top of the list I see this rule below that would seem to indicate, they can change the rules at any time, but rules in effect when a contract is made, ie an order made and charged remain in place. This being the case they must refund money for orders made when that option was in place.

Revision date: August 12, 2005.

In order to offer you the best service...
When purchasing on the DVDSoon.com web site, you accept the following rules:
DVDSoon.com can add to or modify the rules at any time. However, the rules applicable will always be those in effect at the closing of the contract.
The sale is closed once the products ordered are shipped.
The word price in the text means the price of the products and the applicable taxes. The word credit in the text means an amount of money redeemable for merchandise at DVDSoon.com.

I've emailed them and demanded my money be refunded. No one works there on the weekend so they have a couple more days of silence. Putting these changes out in the middle of the night before weekend.

Last edited by scouse; 08-13-05 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-13-05, 01:27 PM

For all of you that are paid for the fidelity iCard be sure and get your refund.

"We regret to inform our clients that we have had to withdraw the fidelity iCard from all of our clients. For those who are iCard holders, a credit will be issued according to the remaining amount of months as well as the use of your membership as form of compensation for the loss of your card."

Of course most of us probably won't get a refund because of this one statement "as well as the use of your membership as form of compensation for the loss of your card"

Sounds like they are doing their best to screw all their long time customers now that's customer service!
Old 08-13-05, 09:49 PM
Cool New Member

At least you guys can get *into* dvdsoon.com. I keep getting error message after error message after error message. I got suspicious about the status of my card (god DAMN am I bitter about ever having ordered that thing) when I saw the "all orders over $39 now qualify for free shipping!" headline (yeah, their front page works perfect *bitter bitter bitter*), so I tried putting a DVD in my cart to see what happened. Searched for one I was pondering buying, had to re-do the search 3 times because of a (slow to respond) error message. Tried to put it in my cart, had to try 3 more times because of the same error message.

Now, having read this thread, I'm trying desperately to get to my account page. Which wouldn't accept my password the first two times, I clicked on "forgot my password" just in case, waited 5 minutes for the password to show up in my e-mail, and sure enough, it's the one I was putting in. ARGH.

Ah. There. Finally in, and no credit for my card. What exactly does "use of your membership" mean - as in "you got your money's worth, so fuck you and the credit card you rode in on"?

Ha.

Ha.

Ha.

Absolute bullshit. I paid for 12 months of 20% off, not "eh, well, maybe 12 months, or maybe until we decide to yank it, and if you've managed to save $40, sucker!" I don't suppose I can get my credit card company to go after them for that, can I?
Old 08-14-05, 04:49 AM

These guys are absolutely useless. I placed a preorder three months in advance for a title and I still get put on backorder after the release date.

Edit: And I can't even get into the damn site to check my account. This thread is the first I've heard of them cancelling orders so mine better not be otherwise they're getting a vicious e-mail.
Old 08-15-05, 03:43 AM

After reading this thread for the first time at about 1 A.M. (my time), I decided to take immediate action.

My story: Placed order on June 28th for eight family movies. My credit card was charged the same day for $74.94. I waited until July 20th (22 days later)and still no DVDs. I called DVDSlow on July 20th and asked about the status of my eight DVDs. I was told that none of the eight DVDs were in stock. I said that is impossible! How can there me no inventory for an entire order (none of which were pre-orders)? I then went to their website and cancelled my order and requested a refund. The website said it would take 21 days to process the refund (which is already insane!). I waited 25 days for the credit to appear on my credit card. It never happened. After reading this thread, I immediately called my credit card company at about 1 A.M. and told the CSR about this situation. The CSR said he had previously heard this complaint from other credit card customers! He told me that he was processing an immediate credit to my account for $74.94, and that the Bank would pursue a collection action to recover the $74.94 from DVDSlow. The CSR mentioned that the foreign currency transaction fee of approximately 3% that I was charged for placing a Canadian order was not reimbursable.

Folks, I recommend that you quickly contact your credit card companies for your refunds. Chasing DVDSlow for credit card refunds is like spitting into the wind. Don't waste another day for your refunds!

Last edited by oldchuckles; 08-15-05 at 03:51 AM.
Old 08-15-05, 04:40 AM

Anyone noticed their new shipping policy? Free shipping on orders over $39 but they have to ship at the same time!!!! These guys never have anything in stock so I guess no-one will ever have anything delivered.
Old 08-15-05, 07:39 AM

It also means that for European customers, you either end up paying shipping charges or paying Customs fees, since the $CAD39 is just over the customs-free limit (of 18 in my case - the UK).

I can't help but wonder how they arrived at this figure...

I leave the read to draw their own conclusions.
Old 08-15-05, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Nebiroth
It also means that for European customers, you either end up paying shipping charges or paying Customs fees, since the $CAD39 is just over the customs-free limit (of 18 in my case - the UK).

I can't help but wonder how they arrived at this figure...

I leave the read to draw their own conclusions.
I can understand your irritation, but I would speculate that they based it on the Amazon.ca minimum for free shipping.
Old 08-16-05, 06:29 AM

I can't see DVDSoon staying in business much longer.

I've been a customer with them for a couple of years and placed orders for
hundreds of DVDs over that time with not too many problems.

I was also a fidelity card member.

Not anymore!

I had over $160.00 CAD in pending orders when they arbitrarily cancelled them
and gave me a store credit. If I re-order them they will be at much higher
prices and no free shipping.

Plus you cannot use your non-refundable store credit on the shipping component
and can only use 25% of your credit towards any order.

I will definitely not be giving them any more of my hard earned money.
I'm in the process of contacting my credit card company to obtain charge backs ASAP.
Old 08-16-05, 07:35 AM

They still haven't cancelled the 20+ open orders I have--but I do have $14.20 in my account that is now listed as non-refundable credit.

I tried calling all day yesterday--just got "closed" and "too busy" messages.

Where did you see this 25% rule? I just tried adding something to my cart and it was going to apply all $14+ to the order.

If they are going to cancel my orders--I wish they would do so and credit back my credit card so I can be done with these crooks.

-Kyle
Old 08-16-05, 09:27 AM

From their T&C's:

" Since non-refundable credits can be used on products only, all other charges (e.g. shipping fees) will be applied to your chosen method of payment. Also, you may only use your DVDSoon credit for up to 25% of the total of the order."

In other words, credits cannot be used to pay for shipping charges, and furthermore, credits can only form 25% of the payments for any new orders you make.

So to get full useage of the money they've already taken from you, they want to take MORE money from you. For every $25 of store credit you have to spend $75 more ...
Old 08-16-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, credit can only be used for 25% of your order? So if they screw up your order again, they have more of your money, and that can only be used for 25% of your next order?

I've never heard of such a policy. Store credit is store credit, right? There has to be some law against this...
Old 08-16-05, 10:37 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow! What a bunch of crooks. I never gonna order from dvdnever again.
Old 08-16-05, 12:11 PM
Banned

From dvdtimes.co.uk:

DVD Soon
Eagle-eyed readers may have noticed that we have removed all links to Canadian retailler DVD Soon from the site. Unfortunately we feel we can no longer recommend DVD Soon as a retail source due to very bad customer service, the cancellation of orders and the companies new policy not to refund customer's credit cards when an order is cancelled by the company.

It now appears DVD Soon has very little stock and the vast majority of titles ordered are not shipped - this is also the case with many preorders which immediately switch to 'On Order' on the release date. It is apparent that DVD Soon are no longer able to source stock of most major releases.

If you are a DVD Soon customer with titles on order, we'd recommend you contact your credit card issuer to explain the situation. They may be able to advise you of the best way to recover any money that has already been charged but without any product being supplied. It is also worth keeping an eye on this thread on The DVD Forums for the latest information from DVD Soon customers.
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=58194

So it seems that everybody has to avoid dvdsoon as quick as possible.
Old 08-16-05, 10:04 PM

Want to know why you can't get through to them on the phone?

Quote from their Contact Us page:

"The telephone numbers indicated here are for information purposes only. Please note that there are no telephone agents available to take your call."

It would be funny if it weren't so serious.
Old 08-17-05, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by mrowley
Want to know why you can't get through to them on the phone?

Quote from their Contact Us page:

"The telephone numbers indicated here are for information purposes only. Please note that there are no telephone agents available to take your call."

It would be funny if it weren't so serious.
What a complete joke. Fuck this, I'm cancelling my order now and getting my money back. I'm almost at the 60 day mark on my order, so I might as well do it now.
Old 08-17-05, 01:38 AM

OK, now my order from May just appeared in both the Cancelled and Shipped sections! What the fuck is going on?

Edit: I don't appear to have any store credit so the bastards better have sent it.

Last edited by Fincher Fan; 08-17-05 at 01:41 AM.
Old 08-17-05, 01:59 AM

Well I just went to try and cancel my order, but it's still in the pending section, not in the cancelled section and I have no store credit.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.