DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/399535-anyones-netflix-disc-delivery-service-starting-suck.html)

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 10-21-11 09:33 AM

re: Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

Originally Posted by redcat (Post 10972958)
So now when I log into Netflix, all it shows is my former instant viewing queue. This is useless to me since I cancelled the streaming part of my plan. I cannot find any way to get to my actual disc queue and use that. Anyone else having this problem? Any idea how to fix it?

Have you tried any other tools that let you manage your queue to see if you can access it that way until it's fixed on the site?

b2net 10-24-11 07:26 PM

Netflix stock plunges on brutal 3Q, somber outlook
Netflix stock plummets as 800,000 US subscribers cancel in 3Q, major DVD defections looming

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Netfli...18757.html?x=0

b2net 10-25-11 06:30 PM

How Netflix Lost 800,000 Members, and Good Will
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/How-Ne...45185.html?x=0

DVD Polizei 10-26-11 01:33 AM

Netflix underestimated its consumers to a point that I really can't believe it, even when I read about it. I think I forecasted a stock value of $20 by Christmas a month or so ago, but wouldn't be surprised if we see it hit that dollar amount by Friday. Or even tomorrow? This even surprised me.

Netflix is a pretty good service. DVDs being shipped to me were 99% reliable and got them in a quick period of time. It's unfortunate there is a madman at the helm. And he's about to ram his ship upon an unforgiving beach head.

al_bundy 10-26-11 12:15 PM

and the upcoming apple TV hype machine is already starting up. i'm thinking a 1Q 2012 limited launch like the iPad. netflix screwed up at the wrong time

al_bundy 10-26-11 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by b2net (Post 10977785)
Netflix stock plunges on brutal 3Q, somber outlook
Netflix stock plummets as 800,000 US subscribers cancel in 3Q, major DVD defections looming

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Netfli...18757.html?x=0

just cleared out my dvd queue and will cancel once i send my blu ray in

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 10-26-11 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by al_bundy (Post 10980056)
and the upcoming apple TV hype machine is already starting up. i'm thinking a 1Q 2012 limited launch like the iPad. netflix screwed up at the wrong time

Yeah but most of the hype is for people already into apple products and are going to buy it no matter what.

I'm slowly getting down to the end of my queue and will either go streaming only and rely on redbox codes for new movies or do 1 at a time and streaming.

NoirFan 12-04-11 12:32 PM

From Huffinton Post:

Facing bankruptcy, the U.S. Postal Service is pushing ahead with unprecedented cuts to first-class mail next spring that will slow delivery and, for the first time in 40 years, eliminate the chance for stamped letters to arrive the next day.
...Which means only one Netflix cycle per week.

Deftones 12-04-11 04:53 PM

I thought they were processed differently due to a deal that Netflix has with the USPS. Plus, these aren't stamped.

NoirFan 12-04-11 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 11030047)
I thought they were processed differently due to a deal that Netflix has with the USPS. Plus, these aren't stamped.

(Changes) could slow everything from check payments to Netflix's DVDs-by-mail, add costs to mail-order prescription drugs, and threaten the existence of newspapers and time-sensitive magazines delivered by postal carrier to far-flung suburban and rural communities.

Deftones 12-04-11 06:08 PM

Ok, fair enough. I didn't read the article, I was just questioning the part about stamped mail.

davidh777 12-06-11 02:31 AM

Yeah, my local news specifically mentioned Netflix. I mean, they're local news so they're hardly gospel, but it would be a big deal considering the volume they handle. I'm very used to mailing on Wednesday to have something by the weekend, so that would significantly devalue my subscription (I canceled streaming this year due to selection). Slower turnover would probably help Netflix as far as expenses go, but that could be counteracted by more loss of subscriptions.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 12-06-11 09:45 AM

That quote just says could. They're just covering their bases for a worst case scenario and gives people a chance to create enough of a backlash for things to not end up so bad.

onebyone 12-09-11 10:48 PM

Netflix got my last return 3 days ago, and they haven't sent me out an order yet. It's stuck in "We will send your next available DVD as soon as possible" mode and not moving, and every time I call customer service I get a different answer. One guy even told me that they didn't send out movies yesterday because Pearl Harbor day is a federal holiday with no mail delivery, which is obviously crap. It's really frustrating.

Gerry P. 12-10-11 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by onebyone (Post 11037143)
Netflix got my last return 3 days ago, and they haven't sent me out an order yet. It's stuck in "We will send your next available DVD as soon as possible" mode and not moving, and every time I call customer service I get a different answer. One guy even told me that they didn't send out movies yesterday because Pearl Harbor day is a federal holiday with no mail delivery, which is obviously crap. It's really frustrating.

Nothing has shipped for me for the past 2 days. I just called and the agent "contacted the hub" to make sure my next disc goes out tomorrow. We'll see.

ProfessorEcho 12-29-11 05:10 PM

Last summer I put my account on VACATION HOLD as I had about two weeks left to my paid monthly subscription, but was leaving town for a few months. Today I went to reactivate and they told me when I put the account on hold I lost the remaining time I had left. They wanted to charge me for a whole new subscription. I asked them what the point is of even having the VACATION HOLD and they said it is a courtesy to their customers. ??? I spoke to a supervisor and he parroted the same thing, saying it is a part of their terms of service. I canceled my account and will not go back to them. Who needs their bullshit anymore?

EdTheRipper 12-30-11 05:16 AM

It says right in the Important Details on the hold page, that they will not refund partial months. Once you put your account on hold, you've effectively cancelled it. Whatever the reactivation date is will become your new billing date.

I had to put my account on hold earlier this month because I had no access to a computer. Luckily for me, this happened just a couple of days before my billing date so I really didn't lose much.

b2net 12-30-11 10:36 AM

I bought a Gift Subscription for Streaming which has no sales tax... The confirmation page stated no sales tax... the confirmation email stated no sales tax.... the temporary charge on my credit card had no sales tax... but when the permanent charge to my credit card came.. it had sales tax on it... I tried calling and complaining.. but they said they cannot control the government charging sales tax... which I tried to refute saying that the streaming only plans do not have sales tax.. only the DVD ones.. due to physical property.. but to no avail.. I will have to call back again.. grrr...

ProfessorEcho 12-30-11 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper (Post 11059083)
It says right in the Important Details on the hold page, that they will not refund partial months. Once you put your account on hold, you've effectively cancelled it. Whatever the reactivation date is will become your new billing date.

I had to put my account on hold earlier this month because I had no access to a computer. Luckily for me, this happened just a couple of days before my billing date so I really didn't lose much.

Yes, I guess I missed the IMPORTANT DETAIL that says there is virtually no purpose for having a Vacation Hold put on your account when you could just as easily cancel the account and restart it whenever you like. "Vacation Hold" is just a deceptive convenience for them to make it seem as though you are retaining unused time when you really aren't. Next time I'll have to read more carefully. Oh wait, there won't be a next time.

And this apparently works differently when you put your account on hold while using a gift card subscription. That's what I had done previously. I still had a couple of weeks left when I put my account on hold and six months later when I reactivated it, the two weeks were still available.

In any case, they lost yet another loyal customer and in such a way as to yield joy when they go bankrupt from the billions in debt they have incurred and can't pay back.

beesonosu 12-30-11 12:56 PM

Back when I was a Netflix subscriber, I put my account on hold for some dumb reason and completely forgot about it. I was pretty surprised one day to find a BD from them in the mailbox before I realized what had happened. I paid that month and then closed my account for good. As far as I can remember, the only point of holding is so you can keep your queue and lists. Strangely, I've gotten about 3-4 emails from them in the last month or two offering my a free one-month trial to come back. I think I will soon, but will be sure to cancel it before the month is up.

Texan26 12-30-11 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho (Post 11059259)
Yes, I guess I missed the IMPORTANT DETAIL that says there is virtually no purpose for having a Vacation Hold put on your account when you could just as easily cancel the account and restart it whenever you like. "Vacation Hold" is just a deceptive convenience for them to make it seem as though you are retaining unused time when you really aren't. Next time I'll have to read more carefully. Oh wait, there won't be a next time.

Seriously? People would take advantage of this if they credit you every time you take a vacation. Hmm, none of my DVDs are available, let me take a two day vacation and get credit for two days. Repeat process every week.

ProfessorEcho 12-30-11 05:14 PM

That's a ridiculous, extreme example which could be easily covered by the same measure many cable companies utilize. You can put your cable service on hold if it will be for at least thirty days. It's a fair policy that actually makes the idea of a vacation hold valid. As for retaining your queue, supposedly Netflix maintains your queue (and credit card number) for two years after you cancel your subscriprion which renders their vacation hold worthless.

Abob Teff 12-30-11 08:13 PM

I agree with those who point to the clear TOS statement regarding "no partial months." However I also agree with Professor Echo regarding poor customer service. When a two-week trial is the standard for potential new customers I would have to believe they could have found a way to comp you two weeks as a courtesy.

It is an everyday occurrence for businesses to fight to retain their customers. It is downright pathetic when a company is losing that battle to itself (particularly with no direct competition). I completed a project involving turnaround strategies for Netflix and we came to an underlying conclusion: Reed Hastings has to go and the culture inside thecompany has to change.

b2net 12-31-11 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by b2net (Post 11059247)
I bought a Gift Subscription for Streaming which has no sales tax... The confirmation page stated no sales tax... the confirmation email stated no sales tax.... the temporary charge on my credit card had no sales tax... but when the permanent charge to my credit card came.. it had sales tax on it... I tried calling and complaining.. but they said they cannot control the government charging sales tax... which I tried to refute saying that the streaming only plans do not have sales tax.. only the DVD ones.. due to physical property.. but to no avail.. I will have to call back again.. grrr...

2nd call .... again.. they said they have no control over sales tax... that in my state.. there is no sales tax on the streaming plan.. but there is sales tax on the gift subscriptions for streaming plan... and that I needed to take up the issue with my state government on sales tax policies.. ugh.. I kinda lost it and asked if they went to the store and paid for something and was given a receipt for that item which clearly stated one price.. but when their credit card was charged it was a higher price.. they would have issue as well... to which the rep said.. yes .. I can see why you are upset.. but it isn't our issue... I demanded a credit on my account... to which the rep said they cannot do it... this just might be the tipping point.. they did agree to take my complaint and will submit it to their superiors for review.. really.. ugh !

Seems as though I would have been better off just giving the person the money and having them pay for it themselves...

ProfessorEcho 12-31-11 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 11059693)
It is an everyday occurrence for businesses to fight to retain their customers. It is downright pathetic when a company is losing that battle to itself (particularly with no direct competition). I completed a project involving turnaround strategies for Netflix and we came to an underlying conclusion: Reed Hastings has to go and the culture inside thecompany has to change.

This is exactly right. They have and continue to consistently shoot themselves in the foot.

It's only a matter of time before a studio, most likely WB, establishes their own streaming subscription service and lures other studios to sign on as they have with their flawed, but successful Archive program. Eventually Netflix will be left with an increasingly alienated customer base, smaller indie studio offerings and public domain crap. We will look upon them in the same light as the current view of MySpace, once powerfully innovative and pervasive, now overshadowed and forgotten.