DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/399535-anyones-netflix-disc-delivery-service-starting-suck.html)

whotony 08-29-11 11:30 AM

re: Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

Originally Posted by ryan423 (Post 10904879)
Spotify.com

It's legal, so no one go accusing me of posting an illegal service. I hate people who don't buy their music!

Missed it by that much.

story 08-30-11 12:47 PM

We just got Netflix streaming this weekend and while the computer can play any video just fine, the PS3 hooked up to our TV (and receiving internet via an ethernet cable) will only play TV shows while movies lock up and have to keep loading after five seconds of play. In fact, it tries to load again after that point and says it can't connect with Netflix.

Is this common? What's the deal? If the PS3 hooked up to ethernet can't handle a movie but it can handle online gaming like BFBC2 then we might not do Netflix after the free 30 days.

conscience 08-30-11 08:09 PM

Was watching Easy Money and it was the first title that ever had to buffer since I got the streaming service a handful of months ago. I'm kind of surprised because the quality is so low on this title while I have yet to encounter problems with the numerous HD titles I stream. Hmm.

Gerry P. 08-31-11 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by dogmatica (Post 10906255)
Is this common?

No.

g 09-01-11 07:28 PM

Read an article that Starz isn't renewing their streaming deal with Netflix. This service could really start to suck. I don't understand the price increase if they knew this was coming. Maybe they needed more money to replace starz.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/ente...ew-movies.html

al_bundy 09-01-11 09:40 PM

i don't know. they signed a deal with disney but i only see stuff like hannah montana and no pixar. and them constantly losing rights to streaming content is starting to get really annoying

Texan26 09-03-11 01:13 PM

Starz may be included in Dish Network's upcoming Blockbuster streaming service. Although they haven't set a price for this upcoming service that's set to compete with netflix.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...o-netflix.html

Texan26 09-06-11 05:54 PM

Another change but not confirmed by Netflix. Netflix now only allows one stream per customer.

Netflix Cracks Down on Sharing: One Stream Per Customer Unless You Pay More

http://stopthecap.com/wp-content/upl.../09/stream.png

Draven 09-07-11 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by al_bundy (Post 10909599)
i don't know. they signed a deal with disney but i only see stuff like hannah montana and no pixar. and them constantly losing rights to streaming content is starting to get really annoying

Isn't Toy Story 3 on there?

And those rights get pulled for all kinds reasons. Like if basic cable is showing that movie for a month, it might go away on Netflix for that time. I don't know what they are supposed to do instead.

Joe Schmoe 09-07-11 07:03 PM

My problem with their streaming service is I haven't heard of most of the movies on there. It seems they're either:

A) really old movies or
B) foreign movies or
C) made-for-TV movies or
D) straight-to-video movies

Yeah, there's a few recent theatrical hits on there like Toy Story 3, but not enough for my taste. I don't know why I keep this service.

Draven 09-07-11 08:49 PM

We keep it because of the DVD rentals and the TV streaming options for us, but primarily it's for the nearly unlimited cartoons for the kids to watch. With no cable, this means there is always something for them "on" and that's great for us.

Plus they've gotten to see classics like Looney Tunes without me paying for it.

Gerry P. 09-08-11 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe (Post 10915318)
My problem with their streaming service is I haven't heard of most of the movies on there. It seems they're either:

A) really old movies or
B) foreign movies or
C) made-for-TV movies or

Yeah, there's a few recent theatrical hits on there like Toy Story 3, but not enough for my taste. I don't know why I keep this service.

There is a lot of crap, but if you take some chances and watch some of the "really old" or "foreign" movies, you would find the service to be a very good value. As a resource for the latest Hollywood releases, it's pretty lacking.

DJariya 09-08-11 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe (Post 10915318)

A) really old movies or
B) foreign movies or
C) made-for-TV movies or

For anyone like you who prefers watching new movies, yeah the streaming service sucks. But, I enjoy it for some of the older movies that I never got around to seeing when I was younger. For example, I found an oldie called "Witchblade" from the late 80's that features a 20-something Kelly Preston that I never got around to renting as a teen.

mndtrp 09-09-11 11:06 PM

I still have an instant watch queue of 474 titles. I'm certain there's quite a few pieces of crap in there, but I've found some gems that I never would have watched otherwise. I'll agree, though, if you're only looking for new films, streaming isn't the way to go.

Netflix needs to get their shit together with the outages. If they are wanting everyone to go to streaming, they need to lower the amount of times they go down.

davidh777 09-10-11 12:42 AM

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/net...g-access-25007

Netflix Denies Limiting Streaming Access
8 Sep, 2011 By: Erik Gruenwedel

Netflix Sept 8 said it has not capped streaming access to one stream per subscriber — an alleged policy shift that was seen as preventing multiple-device streaming access from one account in a household.

During the Labor Day weekend, StopTheCap.com reported the streaming limitations, including posting official subscriber notifications denying multiple stream access from one account.

The alleged caps come as Netflix has imposed a 60% rate hike on combined disc and streaming subscriptions — a move that resulted in outrage among many subscribers and analyst projections Netflix could lose more than 2 million members due to the price increase.

The Los Gatos, Calif.-based online disc rental pioneer also just bowed streaming service in Latin America, with service rolling out in 43 countries, the Caribbean and Mexico through Sept. 12.

In a statement to online media outlets, Netflix spokesman Steve Swasey said scuttlebutt to the contrary was wrong, and households subjected to limits during the Labor Day weekend had been done so by technical error.

“No Netflix member is limited to less than two concurrent streams,” Swasey said. “A few Netflix members have heard differently from us, which is an error that we are correcting.”

Yet, a quick study of FAQ regarding streaming restrictions on Netflix’s website found that the official policy for streaming is predicated by the number of rental discs out at a time.

In other words, if a subscriber has unlimited streaming and one disc rental, s/he is limited to one stream. If the subscriber has unlimited streaming and two-discs, streaming access is available to two devices, and so on.

Online comments regarding the issue ran the gamut from outraged to supportive.

“I suspect it was an intentional change to test the waters that didn’t go too well, and now they are backpedaling,” wrote one poster on HackingNetflix.com.

b2net 09-15-11 07:38 PM

Higher Netflix prices equals fewer subscribers
600,000 less
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Higher....html?x=0&.v=8

EdTheRipper 09-15-11 07:39 PM

I wish they'd do a better job checking in discs. Of the last 6 discs I've received, 2 were cracked nearly in half.

Gerry P. 09-15-11 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper (Post 10925363)
I wish they'd do a better job checking in discs. Of the last 6 discs I've received, 2 were cracked nearly in half.

They were probably cracked on the way to your mailbox.

EdTheRipper 09-15-11 10:00 PM

I've had that happen before...those are usually actually split into two pieces. These were just long cracks extending from the inner ring outwards.

whotony 09-16-11 12:11 PM

I've been having trouble with the streaming lately.

Well really just one show, Rescue Me.
I can hardly ever get it to come in as HD and it drops down to low-medium SD most of the time.

worrywort 09-17-11 10:06 AM

Bye bye Saved section in the Watch Instant queue.

worrywort 09-17-11 10:07 AM

http://www.hackingnetflix.com/2011/0...ant-queue.html

whotony 09-17-11 11:12 AM

-screwy-

TheBigDave 09-17-11 01:39 PM

Every week there's another bad decision by Netflix. And these guys don't seem to care that they're pissing off the customers.

TheBigDave 09-17-11 02:11 PM

Interview with Ted Sarandos, Chief Content Officer of Netflix:

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="http://cdn.livestream.com/embed/paleycenter?layout=4&clip=pla_8cc2125e-8e13-4d91-916e-aee770d9e642&color=0xe7e7e7&autoPlay=false&mute=false&iconColorOver=0x888888&iconColor=0x777777&allo wchat=true&height=385&width=640" style="border:0;outline:0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Here's a few highlights:

- The Starz content has become a smaller percentage of viewing and less valuable, and instead Sarandos wants to "Spend enormous amount of money on things that get watched an enormous amount of time."

- TV shows account for about 60% of streaming now.

- Netflix customers had "much lower ratings" on new releases, and much higher ratings on the personalized content, so Netflix has focused on finding movies that people would love instead of new releases.

http://www.hackingnetflix.com/2011/0...bits-more.html
I don't know how much of this is spin. Sounds like he's saying that Netflix has given up on acquiring New Releases. And will instead focus on TV Shows and popular catalog titles.