Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Rejecting Your Returns...

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Rejecting Your Returns...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-04, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,332 Likes on 908 Posts
2 words: Gift Receipt. Stores should simply change their policy to state that they will not accept returns without a receipt --gift or regular-- and make sure that they issue both at the point of purchase.

I don't have an issue with a store tracking my receiptless returns internally through my drivers' license number (really it is no different than how check acceptance works). What I do have an issue with is when it is going to an outside company that is sharing MY information and making money off of it. I just have serious issues (welcome to the modern era!) with files being kept on me without my permission and knowledge. I do not want to have my purchases or purchasing history kept on file anywhere. Why? Because of the same reason that when a cop asks you if he may search your vehicle you can say NO (of course, he/she will probably get a warrant and then you are compelled). Because I have a right against unreasonable searches (which this database jeopardizes). Because I have a right to privacy.Because it is none of anybody's business. But unfortunately it has become BIG business.

I still question the legitimacy of credit reports (I'm sure that somewhere we agree to allow them to keep a file on us, but I'm yet to see it . . . ). Gotta' run, I hear Black Helicopters coming . . .
Old 12-13-04, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 417 Likes on 270 Posts
Stores are disallowing returns even with receipts though. That's what the big deal is; I have no problem with a "no receipt, no return" policy.
Old 12-13-04, 09:06 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tasha99
Stores are disallowing returns even with receipts though. That's what the big deal is; I have no problem with a "no receipt, no return" policy.
I have a problem with "disallowing returns of unopened/unused items with receipts". It's fair enough if stores are trying to limit returns of items that people tend to buy and use once (clothing, digicam, etc). However, restricting returns of unopened items with receipt is another matter. Some people just thought they might be interested in an item, bought it in order to secure the sale price and later decided that it didn't suit their needs (while it's still unopened/unused). Once returned, such item can go back to the shelf since it's unopened. The only cost that the store incurred would be merely adminstrative.
Old 12-14-04, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eau
I have a problem with "disallowing returns of unopened/unused items with receipts". It's fair enough if stores are trying to limit returns of items that people tend to buy and use once (clothing, digicam, etc). However, restricting returns of unopened items with receipt is another matter. Some people just thought they might be interested in an item, bought it in order to secure the sale price and later decided that it didn't suit their needs (while it's still unopened/unused). Once returned, such item can go back to the shelf since it's unopened. The only cost that the store incurred would be merely adminstrative.
Old 12-16-04, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,668 Posts
Originally Posted by eau

Although I agree that you should be able to return things with a receipt, there is a little more cost involved, I think.

My specific example involves toys, but I guess it can apply to any "hot" item or collectible. When new, hard to find toys come out, you have all these scalpers stalking the buildings waiting for the cases to be unloaded. They then buy all the "hot" figures, hoping to sell them. When demand dies down or the figure becomes easier to find, they return all of them. Previously "sure sales," the figures now languish on the shelf until they are deeply discounted. I see it happen all the time.

There is also a loss incurred if people buy the product, hold it for 30 days, and return it after the item has been significantly discounted.
Old 12-16-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Returns do hurt businesses. Let's say Customer A buys a new TV for his living room, takes it home for 30 days and sits on it and waits to bring it back. Customer B comes in looking for the same model TV, but the store doesn't have anymore because Customer A bought the last one. Customer B then goes elsewhere to shop, and the store loses his potential sale because Customer A has decided to "rent" his television and bring it back at the end of the return policy. It's these types of customers that companies are trying to get rid of.
Old 12-16-04, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Well, I made a purchase at Best Buy yesterday and checked the back of my receipt. Nowhere does it mention they reserve the right to refuse returns. It's the same return policy they've had for awhile. So if they tried to refuse my return of an unopened item with a receipt, I'd be inclined to pursue legal action.