Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Rejecting Your Returns...

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 11-27-04, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

***WARNING***BEWARE***WARNING***BEWARE***

Stores are starting to reject returns even with a receipt. They are doing this by taking our driver's license numbers and keeping track of how many returns we make. If you've reached a certain limit within a specific time period they will not accept your return.

Some retailers do the tracking themselves. Others hire an outside company called, "The Return Exchange"

There have been several stories this week on the evening news. One reporter said that before you buy, ask, "Is there a return limit?" and, "Are you tracking my returns?" You can even find out whether the return exchange has a history on you.

To order your return history report - simply call The Return Exchange at 1-800-652-2331 - and ask if there is a return history on you. If there is, the company will send it to you for free.

Both Best Buy and Circuit City have asked for my driver's license number recently...

I hope this helps everone this holiday season...

--BBD

================================
here are some news stories you can read for yourselves...

Stores Return Limit Policy

New store policies making it tougher to return gifts

Return Reminders May Prevent Rejects

New Service Blacklists Some Shoppers

Last edited by BlockbusterDude; 11-27-04 at 01:09 AM.
Old 11-27-04, 04:04 AM
Cool New Member

Thank you for the heads up. I've heard of this kind of thing before, but didn't know about The Return Exchange.
Old 11-27-04, 04:28 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mentioned earlier....

.... Retailers using databases to rein in sub-optimal customers

Not only but also: best buy picking customers
Old 11-27-04, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think that this is targeted at two demographics. The first is the fraudsters that buy stuff cheap somewhere and then return it at full price. The second is mostly women that buy up a ton of clothes all the time, but end up returning 80% of them.
Old 11-28-04, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
This is no problem if you use a credit card. Rejecting a return with a receipt is a good way to get the charge itself challenged.
Old 11-29-04, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Re: Rejecting Your Returns...

Originally posted by BlockbusterDude
Stores are starting to reject returns even with a receipt. They are doing this by taking our driver's license numbers and keeping track of how many returns we make. If you've reached a certain limit within a specific time period they will not accept your return.
Question. Are we REQUIRED to give them our license on-demand? Kinda like those long lines after the checkout lines at Costco/BJ's for the clerk to decorate your reciept with a lovely sharpie check mark. Necessary? Mandatory?
Old 11-29-04, 02:48 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Rejecting Your Returns...

Originally posted by BlockbusterDude
Both Best Buy and Circuit City have asked for my driver's license number recently...
My local BB hasn't asked or driver's license number yet. Sometimes they asked for the phone number and sometimes they don't.
Old 11-29-04, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: Rejecting Your Returns...

Originally posted by Rogue588
Question. Are we REQUIRED to give them our license on-demand? Kinda like those long lines after the checkout lines at Costco/BJ's for the clerk to decorate your reciept with a lovely sharpie check mark. Necessary? Mandatory?
they can refuse the return then

there was an article in the WSJ today about how this is meant to combat all kinds of fraud
Old 11-29-04, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Rejecting Your Returns...

Originally posted by Rogue588
No store is ever required by law to honor returning an item. Returns are a courtesy of the store that is allowing you to return an item.
Old 11-30-04, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Re: Re: Re: Rejecting Your Returns...

Originally posted by dvd-fanman
No store is ever required by law to honor returning an item. Returns are a courtesy of the store that is allowing you to return an item.
However, they are required by law in most, if not all, states to post their return policy. Has anyone checked Best Buy recently to see if their return policy now mentions their actual policy? If it hasn't been changed, I'd expect to see legal action.
Old 11-30-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i thought most stores required a receipt for a return, and anything else was a courtesy? even BB

i think the real reason for this is to cut down on the number of people wearing an item once and returning it, shoplifters trying to launder it for cash, and people who return gifts with no receipt.
Old 11-30-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is fairly old news... stores have been doing this for years. I don't know why people are getting upset about it, the average honest consumer will never be effected by it.
Old 11-30-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by renaldow
This is fairly old news... stores have been doing this for years. I don't know why people are getting upset about it, the average honest consumer will never be effected by it.
Doesn't bother me one bit.
Old 11-30-04, 03:24 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
This will put an end to one of my favorite yearly traditions: standing in line with about a hundred other dudes in Best Buy returning a big-screen tv the Monday after the Superbowl.
Old 11-30-04, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 227 Posts
Hmmm . . . this will affect my shopping because sometimes I buy things for the kids with every intention of bringing some of them back. For example, if I'm buying shoes and don't have any kids with me, I'll buy more than one size and bring the one that didn't fit back the next day. I always ask if that's okay, and sales people don't seem to mind (for one thing, I can shop at nonbusy, daytime hours since I'm a student). I would be pretty ticked if I couldn't do that even with a receipt, unless the sales person told me ahead of time.
Old 11-30-04, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Not necessarily true. I know someone in one of my master's classes who tried to take something back to BB legitimately, w/ a receipt and was turned away. She called corporate and is awaiting their response.
Old 11-30-04, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rejecting Your Returns...

Originally posted by RevLiver
However, they are required by law in most, if not all, states to post their return policy. Has anyone checked Best Buy recently to see if their return policy now mentions their actual policy? If it hasn't been changed, I'd expect to see legal action.
Good point. If stores are going to accept any returns laws state that the return policy must be posted.
Old 12-01-04, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
Not necessarily true. I know someone in one of my master's classes who tried to take something back to BB legitimately, w/ a receipt and was turned away. She called corporate and is awaiting their response.
What was the reason they gave for not accepting it?
Old 12-01-04, 10:05 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Without details, this anecdote doesn't really prove anything one way or the other.
Old 12-02-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In all my thousands of DVDs and CDs I have bought over the years, I think I can count on one hand the number of time I had to make a return and those were for exchanges for defective merchandise, and only once or twice did I have to return something and get credit for it because it was a Christmas present and I either got the wrong thing for them or it turned out they already had it. I just don't understand people who are habitual returners. In my personal experience (and please keep in mind it's MY experience, not making blanket generalizations about people who return stuff) the people who return stuff fall into categories:

The person who got the right thing but something was wrong with it and wants another copy of the right thing he wanted in the first place. I see nothing wrong with that.

The person who got the wrong thing, realizes it before they opened it and returns it for the right thing. Nothing wrong with that either, IMO.

The person who got the wrong thing, opens it, then expects the store to eat the loss for their lack of paying attention. I have a problem with that.

The person who thinks that they can buy stuff and exchange it for free for something else entirely and keep doing that over and over again. Those people need to be stopped. And I think it's those people this rule is going to stop.
Old 12-02-04, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
What was the reason they gave for not accepting it?
From my understanding is that it was something they bought, opened it, and it didn't work properly. Best Buy and their management felt as though the item was damaged by the consumer rather than a defect and refused to take it back.

Originally posted by Groucho
Without details, this anecdote doesn't really prove anything one way or the other.
Uhhh, how do you figure? Person buys X item. It doesn't work properly. They bring it back. BB refuses to take it back. Sure, it's one case, but it's pretty evident that they are cracking down on all returns.
Old 12-02-04, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by calhoun07

The person who thinks that they can buy stuff and exchange it for free for something else entirely and keep doing that over and over again. Those people need to be stopped. And I think it's those people this rule is going to stop.
That's fine, but it's the stores responsibility to notify the person before they buy the item that they will not be able to return it in accordance with the store's normal return policy.
Old 12-03-04, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What he said.

And at Groucho's comment, I've seen that, it's ugly.
Old 12-03-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

From my understanding is that it was something they bought, opened it, and it didn't work properly. Best Buy and their management felt as though the item was damaged by the consumer rather than a defect and refused to take it back.

Uhhh, how do you figure? Person buys X item. It doesn't work properly. They bring it back. BB refuses to take it back. Sure, it's one case, but it's pretty evident that they are cracking down on all returns.
when you talk about computers and electronics and computers things not working properly is too vague. A lot of people don't know what they are doing and simply assume that if it doesn't work, then it is broke.

i have a TV with a DVI port that I tried to use with my cable box. Didn't work, and that is because the DVI port on my cable box isn't turned on. someone else may assume that the TV is defective and try to return it.

or someone may buy something for a PC, not install it properly or their PC may be screwed up and think the item is defective.
Old 12-03-04, 12:18 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
for the record I know that Borders's keeps a record history of all and any returns, I should know I am surprised that I haven't reached my limit.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.