Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

BB $5.99 DVD's handled like Walmart

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-04, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to BB today, and all of their $5.99 DVD's were thrown in big boxes like garbage, just the way Walmart does. BB used to have them on shelves neatly lined up, and now it's almost impossible to go through what they have now. Truely disappointed....
Old 12-14-04, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DVD-Obsession
I went to BB today, and all of their $5.99 DVD's were thrown in big boxes like garbage, just the way Walmart does. BB used to have them on shelves neatly lined up, and now it's almost impossible to go through what they have now. Truely disappointed....

thankfully, not all Best Buys are like this.
Old 12-14-04, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My local BB still has them all on one of those setups with wheels, it's great. My local WalMart did away with the "bin" format also. All of the titles are all lined up perfectly in order on a big four sided tall shelf.
Old 12-14-04, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was in mine today and they have them in black boxes on the floor. Same stuff as Walmart just 50 cents more.
Old 12-14-04, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 240 Likes on 171 Posts
Noticed the garbage bin today. They used to have them nicely lined up on one of those rolling carts too...

It seems like everytime I go in, there's more crap hindering me from actually getting to where I want to go. Display stands, special-offers tables, demos, 3rd party sales associates, junk bins, etc...
Old 12-14-04, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't understand this concept at all. Do they think consumers like scrounging around and will buy more this way? I noticed the bins at BB as well. Also, I went into a Hollywood Video the other day and they also decided to pull their 4 for $20 DVD's off of the shelf stands that they were on and chuck them into some boxes in front of the tables.
Old 12-15-04, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mine used to be on shelves. Low and behold, today I bore witness to "The Great Bin O' Garbage."
Old 12-15-04, 12:27 AM

is any other bb like this? they block off the registers to force customers to make one long line.
Old 12-15-04, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome, everyone, to the new age of how Best Buy treats us "Demon Customers". They'll make it real uncomfortable and hardly worthwhile to get a cheap DVD. If you want a Big-screen with 5.1 though, well hey, there's a couch in its own room! Have fun! Spend!

Originally Posted by tek2k
is any other bb like this? they block off the registers to force customers to make one long line.
They do this over Christmas season. One long line is easier to manage than people trying to fight back and forth between eight register lines. It works.
Old 12-15-04, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
My local BB still has them all on one of those setups with wheels, it's great. My local WalMart did away with the "bin" format also. All of the titles are all lined up perfectly in order on a big four sided tall shelf.

Mine is the same way and now positioned near the cash registers
Old 12-15-04, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Let BBY know what you think about the garbage bin approach - toss some garbage in there in next time you go in. If they bust you, just tell them you didn't look very close and honestly thought it was a box of garbage.
Old 12-15-04, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Let BBY know what you think about the garbage bin approach - toss some garbage in there in next time you go in. If they bust you, just tell them you didn't look very close and honestly thought it was a box of garbage.

And for the above posters who asked if this encourages people to buy more, the answer is, yes it does.

Studies have been done , showing that people will buy more when given a "flea market option".

Be it a grocery store with dented cans, a Wal Mart with mismatched socks, whatever, if you throw it in a big bin with a sign, people WILL dig thru it. And they will find a movie they maybe havent' seen in a few years, and for "wow, only $6!" they'll take it home.
Old 12-15-04, 03:27 AM

Maybe I'm the exception, I'm not going to spend too much time in the bargain bin or garbage can digging for dvds.
I like the shelf approach.
I can clearly see what I'm looking for and don't have to dig for it.
Old 12-15-04, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by tek2k
In operations management, this is actually the most effective way to process a queue (line). Reason being is that there is no lag time on any registers. The first open register will get the next customer.

This eliminates the problem of the customer choosing the "wrong" line.

Of course, this also eliminates the option for the customer to pick which cashier he/she wants to go to (e.g. you hate a certain cashier, you think one would be easier to Price Match at).

The Best Buys in Manhattan NYC always have their lines like this (probably cuz there's always so much traffic in them).
Old 12-15-04, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
Of course, this also eliminates the option for the customer to pick which cashier he/she wants to go to (e.g. you hate a certain cashier, you think one would be easier to Price Match at).
Just do like guys do at the barber shop. Let others behind you go until your desired cashier is available.
Old 12-15-04, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by John-In-VA
Just do like guys do at the barber shop. Let others behind you go until your desired cashier is available.

that always works for me they always have the lines liekthat at my bb.
Old 12-15-04, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Goldblum
Mine used to be on shelves. Low and behold, today I bore witness to "The Great Bin O' Garbage."
Same in my area! Worst is that they put it right by the check outs.
Old 12-15-04, 09:34 AM

In operations management, this is actually the most effective way to process a queue (line).
Sounds like somebody has had some imaginary engineering training.
Old 12-15-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

not a bargain, moved to store forum
Old 12-15-04, 04:37 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My local BB has those in a couple of steel wire bins. But they also have the more popular $5.99 titles neatly lined up on a rack near the checkout.
Old 12-15-04, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 282 Posts
We were at BB and my wife went into labor.

The managers came out, delivered the baby, and proceeded to EAT IT.

I'll never shop there again. A true disappointment.
Old 12-15-04, 11:17 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by troystiffler
We were at BB and my wife went into labor.

The managers came out, delivered the baby, and proceeded to EAT IT.

I'll never shop there again. A true disappointment.
LOL
Old 12-16-04, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Sounds like somebody has had some imaginary engineering training.
I'm not an engineer but this is what I learned in my operations management class at the Leonard Stern School of Business at New York University (Undergrad).

It makes sense to me, but if what they taught me is wrong, what is the best way to process a queue?
Old 12-16-04, 06:24 PM

I'm not an engineer but this is what I learned in my operations management class at the Leonard Stern School of Business at New York University (Undergrad).

It makes sense to me, but if what they taught me is wrong, what is the best way to process a queue?
Yeah, besides, who want's to get stuck in line behind the guy who is trying to price-match with a Wallgreens ad, while also trying to use an expired coupon printed off the internet? Wait, wrong forum.....
Old 12-16-04, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 389 Likes on 323 Posts
the closest BB near me has the 5.99 DVDs set up in their own little section on shelves, and on those 4 sided kiosks around the store.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.