Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Returning DVD's without a receipt??

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Returning DVD's without a receipt??

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-04, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went the Borders route because I thought there was a chance the Borders giftcard could be used for anything at amazon, but you can only use the giftcard for items from the Borders store at amazon which limits you to things such as dvds and books and music. They do give healthy credits though. For example, some credits I received:

Traffik miniseries $39.99
Cosmos series $129.99
ET Widescreen 2disc $28.99
Supergirl $19.99
Lawrence of Arabia $25.99
Hedwig and the angry itch $19.99

You also get the tax credit to your card as well. In my case 7.75% back as a credit. I suppose you could get the gift card and sell it on ebay for cash and maybe get 85% of the value.

You can also buy things at Borders with the giftcard and use one of their coupons that are usually 10-15% off. This will stretch your credit further.

Last edited by namlook; 12-27-04 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-27-04, 10:45 PM

i had a few DVDs this year to return, which is strange because i usually dont have any.

i first went to Sears, just because i had something else to return- no go. they said they would only take back things that were bought there. since the disks didnt scan on their system, they couldn't take them back.

i then went to Best Buy, and they told me i could only exchange them for merchandise of equal or lesser value. i wasn't sure if that meant a 1 for 1 item exchange, or dollar amount (and i forgot to ask). since i didn't have any idea what to exchange for, and not much time, i decided to do it another time- he said that policy is valid until Jan 24th or something like that.

i guess i should have tried borders...
Old 12-28-04, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by maxinquaye
i had a few DVDs this year to return, which is strange because i usually dont have any.

i first went to Sears, just because i had something else to return- no go. they said they would only take back things that were bought there. since the disks didnt scan on their system, they couldn't take them back.

i then went to Best Buy, and they told me i could only exchange them for merchandise of equal or lesser value. i wasn't sure if that meant a 1 for 1 item exchange, or dollar amount (and i forgot to ask). since i didn't have any idea what to exchange for, and not much time, i decided to do it another time- he said that policy is valid until Jan 24th or something like that.

i guess i should have tried borders...
Try a different Best Buy. I returned 20 DVDs today at my local store and they gave me a gift card for the value of the DVDs. The gift card can be used whenever I want and has no expiration date. (I've returned DVDs without a receipt for the last couple of Christmases at Best Buy and I've never had a problem with them accepting them IF they carry the title.)
Old 12-28-04, 02:51 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Franchot
Try a different Best Buy. I returned 20 DVDs today at my local store and they gave me a gift card for the value of the DVDs. The gift card can be used whenever I want and has no expiration date. (I've returned DVDs without a receipt for the last couple of Christmases at Best Buy and I've never had a problem with them accepting them IF they carry the title.)
Did they ask for your DL for tracking purpose (like 3 returns per year)?
Old 12-28-04, 03:19 AM

From my experience, returning DVD's to Borders is the easiest route to take when you have a DVD and no receipt. Unlike most other stores, Borders does not give out gift receipts so that makes them much more willing to accept tons of returns without receipt.
Old 12-28-04, 10:08 AM

I just got back from my local Wal-Mart and it took about 3 minutes for me to return a dvd boxset and a couple video games without a receipt. They just asked for ID and gave me a gift card. I wish all returns could go that smoothly.
Old 12-28-04, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by eau
Did they ask for your DL for tracking purpose (like 3 returns per year)?
Yes, so make your returns count if you're only allowed 3 a year. Return a large number during each of those three times if you need to.
Old 12-28-04, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Franchot
Yes, so make your returns count if you're only allowed 3 a year. Return a large number during each of those three times if you need to.

Is this 3 returns per store or 3 returns total? Would one return to BB and 2 to Walmart use up your returns?
Old 12-28-04, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by jkberden
Is this 3 returns per store or 3 returns total? Would one return to BB and 2 to Walmart use up your returns?
I hope you are joking.
Old 12-28-04, 03:41 PM

I have to say, I had returns today at Best Buy, Border's and Barnes & Noble today -- all without receipts -- and everything went as smoothly as possible. In fact, everyone was extremely courteous and friendly.
Old 12-28-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Geist
I have to say, I had returns today at Best Buy, Border's and Barnes & Noble today -- all without receipts -- and everything went as smoothly as possible. In fact, everyone was extremely courteous and friendly.
I went to Best buy and Wal*Mart today for some no receipt returns. BB could not have gone any easier, but Wally World was another story. The security dude at the door asked to see my receipt and when I told him that I didn't have it, he gives me a deep sigh and a look like I was going to rob the store. The girl at the desk rings it up no problem, but she needed to get an override. The asst. manager tells her that she is sick of giving overrides and she wasn't going to do it(I guess she decided that she wasn't going to do it anymore and that I would be the first one to receive the shaft). I was getting ready to argue when the girl called up a superior on the phone. He told the asst. manager to do the override. So it all worked out in the end except the girl forgot to credit me the tax. I wasn't in the mood to argue over an additional $6. Wal*Mart is a YMMV store if I ever saw one. I have had some extremely good experiences with them and some pain in the butt ones.
Old 12-28-04, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just an observation: I noticed that the prices at Borders for DVDs are usually significantly higher than at Best Buy which means you will get more credit for your returns there. You can then use the Borders gift card to buy at Amazon which has lower DVD prices than Borders stores. If you are planning to use your credit to buy more DVDs this may be the way to go.
Old 12-28-04, 09:10 PM

I tried returning 2 dvds to Borders but had no luck. They had the titles in the store but said they had not sold any the past year.
Old 12-28-04, 09:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just did some returns at Best Buy. Smooth as silk.
Old 12-28-04, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I took 3 DVDs and 2 books into Walmart today. When they entered my DL, I was told that it was my second return without a receipt and I had one more to go. But, when I questioned her, she said that in 6 months it is wiped clean and I could start all over again...
Old 12-29-04, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My friend found out that even right after Christmas returns of sealed DVDs are a big YMMV at Best Buy and Borders. I had no trouble returning at a Borders near me but they shot him down at the Borders near him even though they carried the DVDs he wanted to return because that particular store had not recently sold those titles. They also do not have the ability to check the sales at the other 5 Borders in his area so they very well may have sold at another store nearby but that, and it being Christmas wasn't enough for them. They suggested he see if he can get the receipts from the people who gave them as gifts!! LOL. Wow, that's a great suggestion!

He also tried Best Buy and although they carried a couple of the titles he was returning they refused to accept even those because he had a couple others in the batch that they did not carry in-store and they said it was "obvious the DVDs were not purchased at the store". This is despite the fact that BB online was selling all of the titles he wanted to return. Then when he tried to leave BB with the sealed DVDs and no receipt he said he was treated like a criminal by the door security.

None of these stores are obligated to accept return without a receipt but I know that I patronize stores that are accomodating and treat me nicely, especially in special circumstances like around Christmas. After hearing these stories I won't be purchasing any Christmas gifts for anyone at Borders or Best Buy because I don't want people to be stuck with gifts they don't want.

So much for the Christmas spirit at Best Buy and Borders.

Last edited by namlook; 12-29-04 at 04:39 AM.
Old 12-29-04, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Borders rules! I've been returning some of those Fox DVD sets I bought on Amazon for $14.99 and they've been giving me $49.99 credit (plus tax) for them. I then take advantage of the buy 3 get 1 free and use the 10% off coupon for even more savings!

I even returned that Mythos box set I bought off the Amazon misprice for $8.99, and they credited me $99.99!!! Was a little nervous at first because when the manager came by to approve the store credit, she asked the salesgirl if she checked if they'd had any recent sales of the titles I was returning. I thought for sure the Mythos set would be turned down, but it wasn't!

Overall I've made like $500 credit from the $100 I originally spent on this stuff.

One of the stores made me fill out a form with my name and address, but the other store didn't even bother. Just rang up the store credit and handed me my gift card.
Old 12-29-04, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Overall I've made like $500 credit from the $100 I originally spent on this stuff.
Gee, I wonder why these stores are hesitating at taking returns.

You are scum
Old 12-29-04, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Borders rules! I've been returning some of those Fox DVD sets I bought on Amazon for $14.99 and they've been giving me $49.99 credit (plus tax) for them. I then take advantage of the buy 3 get 1 free and use the 10% off coupon for even more savings!
This post sounds like a troll. BTW, the current Borders coupon is 15%, not 10%.
Old 12-29-04, 02:21 AM

Another observation on my Best Buy return without a receipt...

Even though I had over 20 DVDs to return, they went through all my DVDs to check which ones they carried and how much credit I would receive and told me it would be no problem to give me a gift card. This was BEFORE they even checked my driver's license. If people are really limited to three returns within a given time period, wouldn't it have been more appropriate to ask me for my driver's license first to see that I hadn't used up my return priviledge allotments? I mean, after they spent 15 minutes doing all the necessary work to give me credit, would they run my driver's license and then say, "Sorry, sir. We can't give you a refund. You've abused the return policy of our store." ?
Old 12-29-04, 09:04 AM

Have anyone tried the SunCoast, Sam Goody's, etc..? I remember that they're hassle free and offer store credits in a form of their Gift Cards. Sure, their prices are pretty high and products limited to mainly videos, but might be a last resort.

Just wondering if they're any different this year.
Old 01-01-05, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by tmy727
Have anyone tried the SunCoast, Sam Goody's, etc..? I remember that they're hassle free and offer store credits in a form of their Gift Cards. Sure, their prices are pretty high and products limited to mainly videos, but might be a last resort.

Just wondering if they're any different this year.
Tried Suncoast yesterday and had no problems at all. Returned 3 dvd's without a receipt and they offered an exchange or a gift card. All you have to do is fill out your name, phone #, address & signature on the exchange slip.
Old 01-01-05, 04:15 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by inri222
Tried Suncoast yesterday and had no problems at all. Returned 3 dvd's without a receipt and they offered an exchange or a gift card. All you have to do is fill out your name, phone #, address & signature on the exchange slip.
Did Suncoast give credit for the current price of the DVDs or the lowest price in the last X days?
Old 01-02-05, 04:00 AM

Does anyone have any experience with Fry's? Are they as stringent about the receipt here?
Old 01-03-05, 12:15 AM
Banned

I even returned that Mythos box set I bought off the Amazon misprice for $8.99, and they credited me $99.99!!! Was a little nervous at first because when the manager came by to approve the store credit, she asked the salesgirl if she checked if they'd had any recent sales of the titles I was returning. I thought for sure the Mythos set would be turned down, but it wasn't!

One of the stores made me fill out a form with my name and address, but the other store didn't even bother. Just rang up the store credit and handed me my gift card.

This is why stores are beginning to hesitate to take returns without receipt; customers like you who abuse the system.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.