Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Returning DVD's without a receipt??

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Returning DVD's without a receipt??

Old 01-23-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for everyone.

I have never returned to WalMart before, from what I have read on this thread, they are pretty lenient.

I have a brand new DVD I purchased there last year (still sealed).

The price on this DVD was high, then went down to bargain bin, and is now back high again (for what reason, I don't know).

What price should I expect to get? The lowest? The current price?

Of course, the receipt went out in december's trash.

--LVM
Old 01-23-04, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by LasVegasMichael
Question for everyone.

I have never returned to WalMart before, from what I have read on this thread, they are pretty lenient.

I have a brand new DVD I purchased there last year (still sealed).

The price on this DVD was high, then went down to bargain bin, and is now back high again (for what reason, I don't know).

What price should I expect to get? The lowest? The current price?

Of course, the receipt went out in december's trash.

--LVM
You will get whatever price is now current in your local Wal-Mart's system and you will be issued a gift card for the amount of the DVD. Also be prepared to show ID as it will also need to be entered into the host system.
Old 01-23-04, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-24-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 787 Likes on 557 Posts
Originally posted by chanster
Yeah, I was one of those guys. I still think it is wrong but don't bother to click in these threads anymore
Uhhh, they why bother responding?
Old 01-24-04, 08:27 PM

Just came back from Best Buy. Today is the last day to return/exchange without a receipt. The person at Best Buy was cool. The whole procedure took only less than 5 minutes.
Old 11-19-04, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Any changes from last season to this season? I know it is early.
Old 11-19-04, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by Big Worms
Any changes from last season to this season? I know it is early.
It's not too early to ask, especially considering that Best Buy's holiday return policy begins with purchases made from November 1.

Here is the Best Buy's official 2004 holiday return policy:

Best Buy encourages customers to keep all receipts for holiday purchases. For all purchases made from Nov. 1 through Dec. 24, 2004, the following policy applies for holiday returns and exchanges:
  • Notebook computers and desktop computers can be returned up to 14 days from the original purchase date.
  • Customers have until January 8, 2005, to return or exchange monitors, printers, camcorders, radar detectors and digital cameras.
  • Customers have until January 24, 2005, to return or exchange all other products.
  • Software such as music CDs, movies, computer software and video games cannot be returned if not in original packaging (unless defective), due to copyright regulations.
  • An in-store credit will be issued for a gift receipt in the amount of the original purchase price.
  • A 15-percent restocking fee will be charged on returns or exchanges of any opened notebook computer, camcorder, digital camera or radar detector, unless deemed defective.
Old 11-21-04, 10:29 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone knows if BestBuy tracks your returns with your phone number even if you have the receipts. A couple of months ago they started to ask for phone number whenever you do a return. I wonder if they would deny people of returning too much stuff?

I saw a special on the news tonight about some retailers (e.g., Express) denied people of returns because they returned too often, even when they had the receipt.
Old 11-22-04, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by eau
Anyone knows if BestBuy tracks your returns with your phone number even if you have the receipts. A couple of months ago they started to ask for phone number whenever you do a return. I wonder if they would deny people of returning too much stuff?

I saw a special on the news tonight about some retailers (e.g., Express) denied people of returns because they returned too often, even when they had the receipt.
at clothing stores it's slight different cuz ppl who do that usually will wear the clothes, then return it.
Old 11-22-04, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the response Mr. Gore.
Old 11-22-04, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by eau

They could. Perhaps they are using the service that Express, Sports Authority and others are using they're called "The Return Exchange."

Read about them here: The Return Exchange Company Website

Our local news station did a story on them and if you do too many returns within a certain amount of time you'll be blacklisted and have to get friends or relatives to do returns.
Old 11-22-04, 09:07 PM

So does this mean that you could return a few unopened video games to Best Buy without a receipt?
Old 11-22-04, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by Tafellappen
So does this mean that you could return a few unopened video games to Best Buy without a receipt?
For the Christmas season, yes. As long as they carry it.
Old 12-24-04, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 174 Likes on 115 Posts
It's that time of year again, anyone have any luck recently returning without a receipt?
Old 12-24-04, 03:01 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just wait after Christmas.
Old 12-24-04, 01:23 PM

No Receipt = No Store Credit (card)

Originally Posted by inri222
It's that time of year again, anyone have any luck recently returning without a receipt?
Bad news guys.. Went to 2 Best Buys this past week in NYC and CT and their new policy is that if you don't a receipt you can no longer get store credit put on a "merchandise credit" card (to be used at a later date) as they did in the past. They both said that they'd make an exception and let me exchange the DVD's if I bought the new DVD's right then and there.

I guess they are tightening up on the old return policy. It's not the end of the world but it does suck!!! Maybe they will lighten up the week AFTER Christmas??

Has anyone else had this happen to them???

--BBD
Old 12-24-04, 06:07 PM

I think the key is that you went this week and not the week after Christmas. But either way I could easily spend the money while there.
Old 12-25-04, 04:35 PM

Any one know what time BB opens on the 26th? Their ad only says they are open until 8pm on the 26th.

I've got a lot DVDs to return. Lets see if they take back 30 at once....

TIA
Old 12-25-04, 04:44 PM

Don't be a fool. They won't take that many.
Old 12-25-04, 07:14 PM

This is so obvious... if you're trying to return an item before XMas, it's no different than trying to return it any other time of the year. Most retailers like Best Buys, CC, etc... states on their return policy that a receipt is required.

As many have posted here... it's after XMas (Dec. 26th) that return policies become a bit more flexible. Most if not all will give store credit and this holiday policy will usually span for about a month (Jan 26th). Obviously varying between retailers.

Also, it's probably not a good idea to dig up last years " Returning DVD's without a receipt??" thread... this years experience may be different from that of last. Making the first 3 pages is a waste of time. Someone should just start a fresh *no receipt* thread AFTER Xmas.
Old 12-25-04, 09:18 PM

jaymz - I had that many last year, BB took them without a problem, give me a $600+ gift card....

Rockmjd23 - Thanks, I'm guess BB will have a standard time to open at each store, so I'll be at mine at 8am...

Thanks for the info, have 3 BB within 30mins drive, so I'll hit them all until I get rid of these dup dvds.
Old 12-25-04, 09:28 PM

I shop at Best Buy almost weekly. I try to know what new releases will be on sale the cheapest at which stores, and usually will have one store price match others that might have a lower price. Since Best Buy normally is the cheapest, that doesn't happen that often. But because new release days usually have the lowest price that a title is likely to have for a while, I'll pick up things just to have in case I regret not spending the money when it was one sale. The opposite of "Buyer's Remorse" I guess you'd call it.

For this reason I find myself returning DVDs (with the receipt, of course), about once every two months.

The difference, however, comes twice a year: Christmas time and around my birthday. People know I'm a film buff, and I tend to get a lot of DVDs and/or gift cards. And for those two periods I wind up with stacks of titles I don't want or already have.

So the idea that these places I am giving my money to fairly regularly, Best Buy especially, might not take back some box sets I got from co-workers this week because my name appears on some "devil" list in a computer someplace makes me angry. These are new, sealed, current releases that I haven't damaged and am not trying to defraud. Even though I shouldn't have to need one, I have a perfectly legitimate reason for not wanting to keep these disks, same as many other people, and if someone gives me stress about it I'm not going to shop there anymore.

Last year I didn't have any problems at all. In fact, I remember asking the girl handling returns if it was a big deal. I told her that there were a few things I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep, and would decide for sure after I rented and watched them. She said I could come back until the end of January, and I must have made three or four trips in total. By March I had spent all my credit and was back to paying for things out of pocket, as I will happily do again this year if my experience is the same.

But if it's true that there's some kind of quota; that I need to come in with all my returns in one shot just in case I hit some customer return cutoff number -- or worse, that because I returned things with receipts earlier in the year I can't return anything at all! -- then I'll just find a place that does and give them my business.

Did everyone that got me a DVD present get it at Best Buy specifically? I honestly don't know for sure. People have the habit of removing stickers before they give them out as gifts. I get a few gift receipts, but I don't always feel like it's polite to ask those that don't when I need them. For some people I don't want to hurt their feelings, and for other older relatives who took the time to ship me things it would be too much of a hassle. The GOODFELLAS DVD looks identical in all stores, and if some CEO considers me a bad customer because I'm trying to exchange my 4th copy of it for something I do want even though this particular disk was bought at Sears or Overstock.com, screw him. I don't want 4 copies of GOODFELLAS, and I'm not going to play Columbo tracking things down because I so evilly need to screw The Man out of $17.

I understand why they have these issues, and that there are people that use loopholes to abuse policies. Those people should be penalized for sure, but if it becomes a choice between hurting your regular customers and coming down hard on the bad ones, I think you need to put the good people first, or at least come up with a solution that treats them fairly.

Case in point: I got something for my birthday and brought it back to Barnes & Noble because I didn't want it. They explained to me that because people were taking items right off the shelves and then pretending to return them -- that is, not even actually bringing the items into the store with them like in GARDEN STATE -- they changed their policy to not give you a gift card during the exchange. You can either switch it for something else right then, or wait 30 days for your store credit to arrive in the mail. Which is fine, and not too terrible of an inconvenience. They had something I wanted and I left happy.

Another time I was on a business trip and had some time to kill. I was browsing a Border's store and found a DVD I had been meaning to see. Since I had a gift card from my birthday left over I picked it up. When I returned home I checked my mailbox and sure enough, there was the same movie sent from Netflix.

A few days later I went back to Border's to get a credit. I must have lost the receipt while packing, but I figured it didn't matter because I had used credit in the first place. When I got there though, the cashier checked the computer and told me that that store hadn't sold a copy of this movie in over a year and gave me some grief about it. She didn't seem to care that there was a Border's sticker on it, only that it wasn't sold in that particular store and she didn't want to hear any excuses. Eventually the manager was called over and they gave me store credit again, but she made it a point to tell me that my name was in their system, as if I was some sort of criminal scam artist.

Anyway, the moral is: guess which book store I shop in exclusively now?

I'm sure the corporate honchos don't give a crap about my measley $200 - $400 worth of business a year, but if it's that much of an inconvenience to make me feel good about spending my money in your store, I will do us both a favor and not give them the opportunity. Best Buy/Circuit City/Target/Border's, etc might not "owe" us the right to return Christmas presents, but we don't owe them our business if they don't either. If it turns out that my returns and exchanges this past year, which I feel were perfectly within my rights as a consumer, put me in some nationwide Bad Customer database, then I'll just sell everything on Ebay and give up shopping B&M altogether.

Don't let anyone make you feel like a bad person for wanting satisfaction. If you forfeit your personal power to big businesses they will never, ever give it back to you. Reward the good stores and vendors for taking care of you, and even if it means spending an extra few dollars here and there or driving a few extra miles out of your way, do not be afraid to sacrifice the ones that don't. You will always be happier in the long run.
Old 12-26-04, 01:29 AM

Well said Geist.
Old 12-26-04, 10:34 AM

I will do better this next yr to make sure people do not give me DVDs for my birthday and xmas, so I do not need to return any on the 26th of Dec 200x.

I returned about 28 DVDs to a Best Buy near me and had no problem, I got a "store credit" card from them. No problems.

A guy behind me told me that at another Best Buy, the manager came over and told the CSR that he could only return 5 DVDs, so he left that store and came to the one were I was. Seems he knew about the 3 time return limit and didn't want to waste one.

So it seems it depends on who is working the counter.

Also, the person that did my returns is the same person that does all my price matches on Tuesdays. So that may have helped, as she knows that i buy a lot of dvds from them. I found it good use her for all my PM, makes the job of PM go much faster, no calling CC/Compusa/Target....
Old 12-27-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Local Circuit City (Patchogue, NY) had HUGE signs up: No receipt, No return, No exchange, No exceptions. They were very strict about this policy. The Best Buy up the road had no problems taking anything back without a receipt.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.