Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The dead Disney thread

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

The dead Disney thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-02, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enlighten me, but to my knowledge Disney has NOT placed such a notice on its website.

If mailing in the card was a requirement then they certainly should've put something about it in the confirmation emails. I placed one order only (for Peter Pan 2) and the confirmation email said absolutely nothing about mailing in anything, neither did the online receipt.

The confirmation email did have a coupon for 10% off my next order, but I suppose that Disney might revoke that at their will as well??

Secondly, to charge customers full price after they ship is just wrong. They appear to be holding the orders. They should just cancel the order and not ship it.

If they're taking the time to try and determine if the customer had the coupon legitimately, they should email the customers and let them know about mailing the coupon in and if the customer cannot then tell them that the order will be cancelled. Shipping the order out at an unagreed on total (one not given in a confirmation email BTW) is not good business sense.

I know I'd rather see my 1 order cancelled than be charged a different price. Is Disney saying that we couldn't dispute that charge?? How exactly are they going to prevent that??

If Disney hadn't had such a poorly designed coupon campaign then they might not be having these problems. Although from the sound of the Cnet article they certainly won't admit that it was a poorly designed coupon campaign .
Old 11-06-02, 10:07 PM

- The notice appears if you try to enter the HOLIDAY coupon.
- The requirement was placed a day after (11/02). There was no such requirement previously.
- Orders before a certain cutoff day will be held until you call or send in the card and otherwise cancelled after 30 days? It seems a few orders after the cutoff time/date have been shipping at full price.
- They probably can't. The credit company will probably side with you if you have proof (email, screenshot). Many people are daring (and some hoping) they ship them at full price...
- Yep, I guess it must be all our fault

Last edited by tenjin; 11-06-02 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-06-02, 10:11 PM
Cool New Member

I received two e-mails yesterday. Both said that Toy Story 2 was sold out and no longer available. However, the e-mails had two different order numbers in the subject line...looking at my order print-outs, one of the two numbers was for Toy Story, so it doesn't look like I'll be getting either disc (even though I ordered them on Saturday morning at 9:00 AM).

Has anyone else received this e-mail??
Old 11-07-02, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i ordered toy story - no email...nothing from them since my order.
Old 11-07-02, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I ordered before the cut-off, so now I just wait to see what happens.
Old 11-07-02, 07:37 AM

Someone on HTF posted they ordered on 11/2 and just got a shipping confirmation email....with their order at full price.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...42#post1126442
Old 11-07-02, 09:34 AM

I called Disneystore.com, they told me my order was on hold. I asked them "So my order is not going to ship?" and was told that it was going to ship, and I would be charged the full price. When they received my mail in certificate/code (which I dont have), then I would be credited the coupon amount.

What scammers these guys are. They should be ashamed of themselves. They'd rather not make a sale to me, than make a bit less profit (how much do you think those DVDs cost to produce? Im guessing a buck or two per disc), and have a happily satisfied customer who can give them repeat business. Their loss.
Old 11-07-02, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ebs0303
I called Disneystore.com, they told me my order was on hold. I asked them "So my order is not going to ship?" and was told that it was going to ship, and I would be charged the full price. ....
I take this as good news.
Old 11-07-02, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Andrea
Someone on HTF posted they ordered on 11/2 and just got a shipping confirmation email....with their order at full price.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...42#post1126442
Let them charge full price......I'll email my receipt to my credit card company and Disney will be the one who loses!!!!
Old 11-07-02, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If Disney ships without the discount without giving you an option to cancel, that sounds like a violation of the FTC Mail or Telephone Order Merchandise Rule .

The FTC takes that rule very seriously and fines companies quite a bit for violations.
Old 11-07-02, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If Disney is shipping orders and charging full price, that goes contrary to what 3 different phone reps assured me when I have called every couple of days for the latest status. I got the name (first name only) and date/time of each rep who told me the worst case is the order would be cancelled, but I doubt having those names will count for anything with Disney if problems arise. Supposedly only the orders placed after the new policy on Saturday will ship automatically at full price.

As usual I never know what to believe. If I were to believe the article on CNet then Disney will be honoring all of their orders placed before the web page was changed mid-Saturday, but who really believes Disney will do that? (The only thing I'm certain of is the shabbier they treat their customers the higher their stock price will go.)

I did print out the final order confirmation screen, plus I have the emails, but my printouts are in "2-up" (2 pages per page) and low quality mode to save paper and ink. Hopefully there are no silly rules saying that printing in a particular way would render my credit card dispute invalid if Disney ships at full price.
Old 11-08-02, 11:27 AM
Banned

Received 378 Likes on 296 Posts
It appears they now want the card from everyone:

Dear Disney Guest,

Re: Order Number(s): XXXXXXX

Thank you for your recent order in which you redeemed a $15 Holiday
Magic Card. We have just learned that information about the Holiday
Magic Card was inaccurately posted on certain Web sites and email
services without Disney's prior knowledge or authorization. Disney
provided the Holiday Magic Card only to Disney Guests who
participated in a retail promotion that ended earlier this year.

Use of the Holiday Magic Card is subject to all the terms and
conditions printed on the back of the Card, as re-printed below.
Each Card is valid for only one transaction and cannot be used in
connection with certain merchandise and other offers, as stated in
the terms and conditions.

To enable us to release your order for shipment, we need to match
your actual Holiday Magic Card with our records of your actual
order. Please mail your Holiday Magic Card(s), along with your
name, address and Order Number(s), to:

Holiday Magic Card Redemption
Disney Online
P.O. Box 29144
Shawnee Mission, KS
66201-9144

Upon receipt and verification of the above, we will release your
order and credit your account for any applicable Holiday Magic
Card discounts, plus $.39 for postage reimbursement. If we do not
receive your Holiday Magic Card by midnight on November 23, 2002,
your order will be canceled.

If you have any questions, please contact us at
[email protected] or call us at 800-362-8319.
We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Sincerely,

Disney catalog and DisneyStore.com

Terms and Conditions

- Card valid November 1 - November 10, 2002.
- Card valid for one transaction only. No refund on any unused
value.
- Additional value cannot be added to this card.

This promotional card is redeemable for $15 towards the purchase
of merchandise sold at any Disney Store in the U.S., at Disney
catalog, or on DisneyStore.com. Not valid on theme park passes,
Disney Dollars, gift certificates, gift cards, pre-sales, animation
art (all cels and limited edition prints), Walt Disney Classics
Collection, Disney Store phone orders, or shipping and handling.
Not valid in combination with any other sales promotion, gift with
purchase offer, or discount. Merchandise must be in stock at time
of purchase and can only be exchanged for identical items & returned
at the discounted price with a valid sales receipt. Not valid on
previous purchases or price adjustments. This card cannot be copied
and will not be replaced if lost, stolen, or damaged. Promotional
card has no cash value. Void where prohibited. Employees of the
Walt Disney Company, its subsidiaries and their immediate families
are ineligible. Use of this card is acceptance of its terms and
conditions.
Well, I wont be ordering from them again, ever. I can understand them not wanting to honor the deal, but to change the terms after the order has been placed is definately not-Kosher. I wouldn't be suprised if they get a class-action lawsuit against them (like the Buy.com monitor fiasko of years back) and eventually they'll lose.

What concerns me is they now have all my personal information, which they'll probably sell and make money off of. So essentially they're making money off of a mistake and I get nothing.

Last edited by Eric F; 11-08-02 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-08-02, 11:57 AM

Just got the same email. I was hoping they would ship my orders at full price so I could contest the overcharges with my credit card company. Bummer.
Old 11-08-02, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Andrea
Just got the same email. I was hoping they would ship my orders at full price so I could contest the overcharges with my credit card company. Bummer.
As was I....I do not have a problem with them cancelling my order. When I ordered my movie, I did not realize this was anything but a special promotion that Disney was running. Did not read into the deal until the problem thread started up.
Old 11-08-02, 12:15 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bummer. Got the same email.
Old 11-08-02, 12:19 PM
Banned

Received 378 Likes on 296 Posts
Nobody realized there was anything different about this promotion, and this is Disney's fault. They should have clearly listed the terms on their website, or sent out individual codes on each mailing.

If anything Disney has probably doubled or even trippled their mailing list, so they're making money off this, not losing anything.,
Old 11-08-02, 01:17 PM

You know, I think you guys are too hard on Disney. What are they going to do? I'd hate to be the person in charge of this promotion.

And also, everyone calls the code a coupon. It's clearly a gift certificate and not a coupon. There is a difference.
Old 11-08-02, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by Jazzy
You know, I think you guys are too hard on Disney. What are they going to do? I'd hate to be the person in charge of this promotion.

And also, everyone calls the code a coupon. It's clearly a gift certificate and not a coupon. There is a difference.
Well, perhaps they wanted it to be a gift certificate, but they definatly made it a coupon. It would be like me ordering a $50 amazon.com gift certifcate and the code was good an unlimited amount of times (which I think it a good idea, they should do that).
Old 11-08-02, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Eric F
Nobody realized there was anything different about this promotion, and this is Disney's fault.
That's not the problem. The problem was overzealous deal hungry people who get wind of a gift-certificate promotion and don't know all the terms and conditions for its use and go posting it like crazy all over the internet.

You can be sure any future deals will require any type of physical cards to be mailed to Disney as unique codes more than likely aren't coming anytime soon.
Old 11-08-02, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by dvd-fanman
You can be sure any future deals will require any type of physical cards to be mailed to Disney as unique codes more than likely aren't coming anytime soon.
I don't see why not, they already have a unique code system in place... it is called the Disney Gift Card. If they want to pass out free $15 to customers why not just issue them a real gift card#?
Unless of course the $25 gift cards say, "Enter GIFT25 at checkout to get $25 off your order. Please only use once."
Old 11-08-02, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by falken
"Enter GIFT25 at checkout to get $25 off your order. Please only use once."
thanks!!! worked like a charm
Old 11-08-02, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by falken
I don't see why not, they already have a unique code system in place... it is called the Disney Gift Card. If they want to pass out free $15 to customers why not just issue them a real gift card#?
Unless of course the $25 gift cards say, "Enter GIFT25 at checkout to get $25 off your order. Please only use once."
You're absolutely right with the Disney Gift Cards, but you need to understand what is going on in the Disney Store B&M stores right now (and it's entirely too complicated to go into on a message board). The current store operating procedures that are in place would not permit cards with stored value to be used in conjunction with these promotions.

It's much more cost effective to use non-stored valued cards in conjunction with these promotions, and create one printing and not have stored value sent out to catalog and internet customers, while using non-stored value for B&M customers.
Old 11-08-02, 05:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just received an e-mail from DisneyStore.com informing me that since the Holiday Magic Card discount cannot be applied toward pre-sale items such as "Lilo & Stitch" DVD, therefore my order has been canceled.

Anyone else get an e-mail like this?
Old 11-08-02, 06:01 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Ghostface180
I just received an e-mail from DisneyStore.com informing me that since the Holiday Magic Card discount cannot be applied toward pre-sale items such as "Lilo & Stitch" DVD, therefore my order has been canceled.

Anyone else get an e-mail like this?
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=249471
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=248987