Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The dead Disney thread

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

The dead Disney thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-02, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone recently talked to a rep over the phone? Are they going to honor the deal or not? Should I cancel my 3 orders or keep them? I don't want to get billed for the full price.
Old 11-02-02, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by dbmottle
Has anyone recently talked to a rep over the phone? Are they going to honor the deal or not? Should I cancel my 3 orders or keep them? I don't want to get billed for the full price.
Most credit cards have information about online retailers not being able to charge more than the amount you agree to at the time of purchase. Disney can't legally charge you more than what your receipt shows without you approving it first.

I think they'll just honor orders already placed, but expect people with the coupon who have not yet used it to go through the rebate mail-in process.

You can call and ask in a rep on the phone and tell us what they say, but I'm not entirely sure they'll be able to give you real info.
Old 11-02-02, 10:21 PM

None of the posts mentioned the card until a disney rep (or someone in touch with them) showed up to the best of my knowledge.

In a way this is becoming somewhat amusing. I have been unintentionally defending Disney, when in fact I am really unhappy with the way they seem to be handling it thus far. My original post was really meant to add to the continuity of the ongoing thread, but that thread was killed in the midst of my post.

In no way do I think what the company is doing is ethical (should they try to charge more than they confirmed) nor right. But I do believe that those who placed tens or hundreds of orders were clearly abusing the system and in turn, their fellow community. I am new here, but sure seems like common sense that if everyone jumps on a deal and overloads it, the deal will either die or be called off. Since the rest of you have the experince in such matters, I will defer to your thoughts.

Thanks for the interesting conversation though.
Old 11-02-02, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by tradingjoe
And I for one, am very likely the worst outcome of such an encounter. I was a brand new customer looking for more items for Christmas. Now I may very likely be an anti-customer. If you people that placed 30 or 40 orders really have 30 or 40 coupons then I have to agree with you in some regard.... by all means, take your chances and mail them in. But if not and you want to keep spinning the wheel, just accept that someday (maybe even today) things may not go as planned.

As for DVD DVD DVD.... a very good idea. I will support it.
agreed. that was my first order (1 dvd) from disney and now my last. if they think they can just change the price of an order i made, and got the order confirmation and number and everything they are crazy. i cant believe that someone working at disney could possibly even consider "ok whoa this sucks...well, i guess we gotta charge them full price...thats the only solution"

at least let us cancel - still crappy as hell but better than having to go through the trouble of arguing the price change.

i like the ebay boycott thing too.
Old 11-02-02, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by LBPound
I really don't see Disney cancelling our orders. After all, they're not losing money on this for the most part, since our order totals are still above cost...and it's Disney themselves, they're the ones freaking printing these discs for a few $ each.

I think it'd be more detrimental for them to take the time and screw people who have already placed orders and to get bad publicity for it than to just let all orders that went through ship out.

I mean $11.82 is a nice price for Lilo & Stitch, but it's only really a few dollars less than what it will be in stores in December. I think it benefits them. And I still don't see anywhere on their website that says it was discontinued due to online abuse. The change indicates that they only want to continue this promotion for people who have the coupon card, but I still think this doesn't work out too badly for them.
you know who its really gonna get to - people who used the rebate but dont post here (gotta be some people like that). think they made a great order, then finds out disney or all companys charges them full price (and NOT by accident!).
Old 11-02-02, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by atari2600
agreed. that was my first order (1 dvd) from disney and now my last. if they think they can just change the price of an order i made, and got the order confirmation and number and everything they are crazy. i cant believe that someone working at disney could possibly even consider "ok whoa this sucks...well, i guess we gotta charge them full price...thats the only solution"

at least let us cancel - still crappy as hell but better than having to go through the trouble of arguing the price change.

i like the ebay boycott thing too.

who said they were gonna charge us full price???

is this all speculation?

if it is speculation, they would never charge us more than what our reciept says, its illegal

If they do charge me full price, that is easily handled by 1 word

Dispute
Old 11-02-02, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by atari2600
you know who its really gonna get to - people who used the rebate but dont post here (gotta be some people like that). think they made a great order, then finds out disney or all companys charges them full price (and NOT by accident!).
That's true. I am unhappy enough with the way this may be going as it is (somewhat mildly informed). If I had no clue and they went and tried this crap I would be screaming bloody murder. Should they follow this path, it can't be good for the long term prospects of the company.
Old 11-02-02, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by habers
who said they were gonna charge us full price???

is this all speculation?
There was a multiple page thread that got yanked where it was said that the price would be full price, and that the coupons had to be mailed in (like they aren't going to lose some of them) to get a credit after the fact. At least one member claimed to verify that his card was indeed charged full price. And if you status your order you will see that it is now listed at full price (it wasn't just a couple of hours ago).

I agree, the dispute should work. But what a pain. Everyone had better keep their email documentation for the credit card companies.
Old 11-02-02, 10:34 PM

I never got to finish reading the other thread. What did the Disney rep say in it?
Old 11-02-02, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by tradingjoe
There was a multiple page thread that got yanked where it was said that the price would be full price, and that the coupons had to be mailed in (like they aren't going to lose some of them) to get a credit after the fact. At least one member claimed to verify that his card was indeed charged full price. And if you status your order you will see that it is now listed at full price (it wasn't just a couple of hours ago).

I agree, the dispute should work. But what a pain. Everyone had better keep their email documentation for the credit card companies.
my online $ amount was always full price, I got in on this at post #2 of the original thread, my email confirmation shows the discounted price and the "TEMP" transaction from disney.com on my CC shows the discounted price.

We are getting the discounted price or no items at all
Old 11-02-02, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

well thats good..worst case = no dvd, no money spent. as if i never heard of the deal.

i still like best case better
Old 11-02-02, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
my online $ amount was always full price, I got in on this at post #2 of the original thread, my email confirmation shows the discounted price and the "TEMP" transaction from disney.com on my CC shows the discounted price.

My online amount shows full price on the order, but the price next to my order number shows the discounted price. And, of course, my email also shows the discounted price.

I think Disney will honor this, or they will send out an email asking us to approve the full price. They won't just charge us full price, I'm sure. I wouldn't worry a minute over it.
Old 11-02-02, 10:42 PM

I hope you are right. By the end (like 15 pages into it) members had posted a phone number (I did not write anything down... I did not realize the thread would die) where they were talking with CSRs stating they werer deciding to either: honor the deal (but they said they were overwhelmed with 30,000 orders), kill the deal, or (and as it stood at that point) charge full price to the card at the time of shipping and credit the card back when they received the coupon with the code.

If you already knew all of this I am sorry for the repetition.
Old 11-02-02, 10:43 PM

I just got an email from the Disney store. It said that I will be charged $7.75 for each of my orders of Toy Story 1 and 2 and $12.28 for my order of Monsters inc. Sounds good to me.
Old 11-02-02, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got an email from the Disney store. It said that I will be charged $7.75 for each of my orders of Toy Story 1 and 2 and $12.28 for my order of Monsters inc. Sounds good to me.
did you just place an order? or did they just email you this out of nowhere?
Old 11-02-02, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ok i could live with a 7.75 toy story. i bet disney was doing some serious math to see how high they could charge to (a) not piss everyone off and (b) maybe make a little money. after all that, 6.44 dvds went up 1.31 each. not bad.
Old 11-02-02, 10:47 PM

I sent them an email to confirm that I would get the discounted prices. They just replied to my email.
Old 11-02-02, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I sent them an email to confirm that I would get the discounted prices. They just replied to my email.
was your original order for 7.75 for toy story?
Old 11-02-02, 10:56 PM

It was $6.44. I don't know how they got 7.75, but its still a pretty good deal.
Old 11-02-02, 10:59 PM

This must be the decision they reached as some sort of compromise. I still can't see how they can do it (that is change the price after the fact). It will be very interesting to see how this all plays out.
Old 11-02-02, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was $6.44. I don't know how they got 7.75, but its still a pretty good deal.
still illegal, but nothing Im gonna blow smoke over
Old 11-02-02, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wonder if those of us who had to call in to complete the order will be processed differently -- since it was the customer service rep who keyed in the discounts and gave the final price verbally over the phone.

A rhetorical question: WHY is it when I participate in a deal it gets canned, yet when i don't (such as the ET deal) it goes through without a hitch???? grrrr
Old 11-02-02, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i didnt get any e-mails
Old 11-02-02, 11:25 PM

yeah i havent got any emails either, I ordered one yesterday and one today
Old 11-02-02, 11:28 PM

dbmottle only got an e-mail as a response when he/she sent them an e-mail asking if they would still get the discounted rate.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.