Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Roger Waters' Dark Side of the Moon

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Roger Waters' Dark Side of the Moon

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-23, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 185 Posts
Re: Roger Waters' Dark Side of the Moon

Waters put up a statement the day before Gilmour and his wife came out of nowhere with their anti semetic claim. The Waters statement was all about how an Israeli Lobby is publicly trying to stop him from performing and denouncing him as anti semetic because of his lobbying for equal rights for Palestinians.

So again until David Gilmour or his wife say otherwise I will very easily assume the reason for their smear. It’s like the go to move for anyone who doesn’t want to deal with what’s going on in Israel.
Old 02-09-23, 08:23 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

All I know is that Pink Floyd is my all time favorite band with music recorded with and without Roger Waters. I don't care about their politics, and I have no interest in Roger Waters re-writing history.
The following users liked this post:
BobO'Link (02-12-23)
Old 02-09-23, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Nesbit
Waters put up a statement the day before Gilmour and his wife came out of nowhere with their anti semetic claim. The Waters statement was all about how an Israeli Lobby is publicly trying to stop him from performing and denouncing him as anti semetic because of his lobbying for equal rights for Palestinians.
Yes I'm sure he can be entirely unbiased in such an assessment ("They're out to get me!")

Where has anyone successfully prevented Waters from performing?
Old 02-09-23, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Yes I'm sure he can be entirely unbiased in such an assessment ("They're out to get me!")

Poland. Because of his pro-Russia, anti-Ukraine stances.
Old 02-09-23, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy

I don’t need him to be unbiased. He’s a flawed person like a lot of people. But he could be in a straight jacket foaming from the mouth and i would still stand up against him being called anti semetic if it was due to his anti apartheid stance just like i stand against anyone being called anti semetic for that reason. It happens a lot in these discussions. A LOT. Because if you know what’s going on there’s no defense for it so the discussion has to be prevented.
Old 02-09-23, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Not getting into the political side of things but I much prefer Roger Waters era Pink Floyd versus the David Gilmour era. Most of the really memorable stuff came when Waters was still in the band.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike86:
bchbdaddy (02-11-23), John Pannozzi (03-07-23)
Old 02-09-23, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,832 Likes on 1,228 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Not getting into the political side of things but I much prefer Roger Waters era Pink Floyd versus the David Gilmour era. Most of the really memorable stuff came when Waters was still in the band.
Tend to agree, though as I've aged I can accept that Learning To Fly is a good song ...
Old 02-09-23, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Oh no doubt about that.
Old 02-10-23, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
Poland. Because of his pro-Russia, anti-Ukraine stances.
I'm almost entirely sure the Long Arm of the Zionist Lobby can't quite smack Poland
Old 02-10-23, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm a huge fan of the Australian Pink Floyd project but I am always dismayed at how they insist on playing three Gilmour-era songs each performance. THREE! (The band's founder apparently played on several tracks and/or toured with post 1987 Floyd)

Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets is easily the best touring Floyd show around. There's such a rich catalog of songs pre-Dark Side of the Moon, and that's all they play.
Old 02-10-23, 05:48 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I've been a fan of PF (and have the vinyl LPs) since More, up through Ummagumma, Meddle, Obscured By Clouds, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall, and The Final Cut, I don't have A Momentary Lapse of Reason, The Division Bell, or The Endless River. Also have The Delicate Sound of Thunder on CD, trying to find it for a reasonable price on blu-ray. And I have David Gilmour's 1st solo album. I've seen PF in concert twice (Wish You Were Here and Animals), never got to see The Wall live even though that would've been the pinnacle of my enjoyment of Pink Floyd. Through that time, I was aware that Roger Waters and David Gilmour had differences which led RW from leaving PF. IMHO, Roger Waters kind of disappeared into obscurity for awhile. Now apparently he's back in the news but I really don't much care. Pink Floyd's existence has been etched into my life forever with the music they created with and without Roger Waters, and nothing can change that, even the news of their continued bickering. I don't know why Roger Waters feels the need to rewrite Dark Side of the Moon (from the description in the OP it just sounds weird), but whatever comes of it, I won't have it sully the memory of the music, and the era, that defined my musical tastes. Politics be damned.
BobO'Link (02-12-23)
Old 02-10-23, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From a Telegraph interview. Waters now claims he wrote all of Dark Side:
Waters is adamant that Dark Side is his to muck about with however he sees fit. “I wrote The Dark Side of the Moon. Let’s get rid of all this ‘we’ c--p! Of course we were a band, there were four of us, we all contributed – but it’s my project and I wrote it. So… blah!” (Waters, who wrote the album’s lyrics, is credited with composing three of its 10 tracks, and co-writing music for two others.)
His walking back on Putin criticism:
“Yes, an article I wrote about three months ago calling Vladimir Putin a gangster… That may have been unfair.” He explains that he’s become a keen listener to The Duran, a podcast spin-off from a website that has published blogs linked to the anti-Nato hacking group Ghostwriter, and uses the Russian Empire’s two-headed eagle as a logo. After hearing their take on Russia, Waters now has more respect for Putin. “It may be that he’s leading his country to the benefit of all of the people of Russia.”

All of the people of Russia? Almost 200,000 of them who were sent to fight in Ukraine have died in the past year. Wouldn’t it be more to those people’s benefit if they were alive? “You can’t really have this conversation at all until you go back to 2004, and until you read everything that [Nato-critical US political scientist John] Mearsheimer has written…” Waters begins to give me a history lesson.

“The Ukraine” – he’s punctilious about that “The” – “is a deeply divided country. In fact, it’s not really a country at all, it’s only been there since Khrushchev, 1956. So it’s a patchy sort of vague experiment.” How long does a country have to exist, for him to accept it as a country? “I’m very happy with Barbados [independent since 1966].”
And then back to Dark Side:
But, surprisingly, Waters seems to have decided that what was wrong with the original album’s beautiful instrumental tracks was that they didn’t have Waters talking all over them. Now they do.

After a bad dream one night, he splurged down a description of it on his laptop, and recites the whole dreadful prose poem over On The Run unedited.
The man is insufferable, but I'll give him all the credit in the world for the courage of his convictions.
Old 02-10-23, 04:04 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

brilliant lyricist but has the voice of someone gargling with steel wool and his songs have all the melody of cats fucking in a woodchipper.

Gilmour's lyrics are fluff by comparison but oh that gorgeous guitar playing....

Old 02-10-23, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

I don't see this ever actually being released. He only has sole writing credit on four of the songs and four that he has zero. If he tries to change the songwriting credits there will be long drawn out lawsuits that will probably last longer than the three members will be alive.
Old 02-10-23, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TGM
brilliant lyricist but has the voice of someone gargling with steel wool and his songs have all the melody of cats fucking in a woodchipper.

Gilmour's lyrics are fluff by comparison but oh that gorgeous guitar playing....
I once read a summary of the two that stuck with me. David Gilmour would be fine playing different songs with the same lyrics for the rest of his life. Roger Waters wouldn’t mind telling 100 stories using the same basic repeating melody for all of them.

It’s really too bad they ever split up. I’ve liked a few things Waters has done but can’t stand post Waters Floyd. They’re the perfect example of the sum being greater than its parts.

Last edited by Nesbit; 02-10-23 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-10-23, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

The Wall has lost a lot of its luster over they ears for me. I have always loathed The Final Cut but enjoy A Momentary Lapse Of Reason and The Division Bell by Pink Floyd. Endless River is pure garbage. I find both Gilmour and Water's solo music to be so boring that it is coma inducing. Love the rest of PF and have zero interest in a Water's DSOTM.
Old 02-10-23, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Wall was my entry point to pink floyd and i strongly connect to some of the issues it discusses so it’ll always have a special place here even though it’s probably the weakest of the big albums musically at least on an average per track basis.

I just discovered Meddle last fall after being a big fan of the big four albums for almost 20 years. It’s amazing.

Note for those not fully aware - there are plenty of themes and issues in the wall that don’t involve fascism. Lol just gotta say it
Old 02-10-23, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
The Wall has lost a lot of its luster over they ears for me. I have always loathed The Final Cut but enjoy A Momentary Lapse Of Reason and The Division Bell by Pink Floyd. Endless River is pure garbage. I find both Gilmour and Water's solo music to be so boring that it is coma inducing. Love the rest of PF and have zero interest in a Water's DSOTM.
I think Gilmour's first two solo albums are good. David Gilmour and About Face. The two Floyd albums sound like Gilmour solo albums to me. Everything he's done since sucks.
Old 02-10-23, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

For me when it comes to Pink Floyd I enjoy Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon, and Wish You Were Here the most. The Wall has its moments but I don’t necessarily like it as a whole album.
Old 02-11-23, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Re: Roger Waters claim that he wrote all of Dark Side
The older that he has gotten, the more militant he has become in his stance that song writing is about the lyrics. So in his mind, he did write all of Dark Side. Nick Mason even mentioned it in an interview recently that he believes the ultimate root of the feud between Waters and Gilmour is that Waters doesn't respect Gilmour as a song writer. He'll praise Gilmour's singing and guitar playing, but that's as far as he'll go. He thinks Gilmour is a beta-cuck or something because his wife writes lyrics for him. I was watching some interview with Waters on YouTube recently where the interviewer tried to ask a question about the playing or the musical style or whatever on one of the old albums and Waters cut him off immediately and said he wasn't interested in that. It's all about the words and ideas.
John Pannozzi (03-07-23)
Old 02-11-23, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Though i don’t believe it makes him a cuck I haven’t heard any post Waters Floyd or solo Gilmour songs where the lyrics stood out to me in any way. With so many great lyrics from Floyd during their peak i can’t believe he didn’t have a hand in any of them but have no idea what specifically was written by who. It’s not like Lennon/Mccartney where there’s tons of books, articles, and interviews detailing who did what down to specific lines. McCartney has a book himself that does this to a comical level where at the end of talking about the writing of the majority of their songs he’ll assign a % of whose song it was such as “That was 60/40 me” , “That was 70% John”, etc.

To Roger’s credit, at least back in the day, he’d give Gilmour thanks for writing his bass lines whenever he was awarded things like best bassist in magazines . It was a tiny bit tongue in cheek as that’s his style, he never gave specific examples of bass lines and as you pointed out it obviously didn’t mean as much to him as who was writing the lyrics but was still gracious.
PhantomStranger (02-11-23)
Old 02-11-23, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

The "cuck" line was just me being a little cheeky. The point is he doesn't respect Gilmour for relying on his wife. As far as who wrote what lyrics for Pink Floyd, pretty much every non-instrumental that includes a Waters credit has lyrics written by Waters. Everything post-Syd except for a handful of tracks. I believe Gilmour's only lyrics during the Roger years were The Narrow Way, Fat Old Sun and Childhood's End.

Edit: forgot Gilmour also wrote A Spanish Piece from More

Last edited by rocket1312; 02-11-23 at 03:15 PM.
John Pannozzi (03-07-23)
Old 02-11-23, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Even if you were being cheeky you may be right. I doubt he’d use the term beta cuck but may have a view of Gilmour similar to what people mean by that unless they’re being literal. Roger Waters can be an asshole and from what little I know about Gilmour he’s very laid back. he’s said at times he was happy to let Waters lead the way and take too much control so i could see that being how Waters sees him at least partially.
Old 02-11-23, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For me when it comes to Pink Floyd I enjoy Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon, and Wish You Were Here the most. The Wall has its moments but I don’t necessarily like it as a whole album.
Do I love The Wall? I love The Wall. But it's incongruous with the rest of the catalog, especially with the massive Bob Ezrin production. It stands apart. It's overblown to absurdity. Brilliant and majestic but to me it's not "real" Pink Floyd, it's Waters and Ezrin guest starring Gilmour and Wright left the show mid-season.

My favorite record has been Animals for 30+ years and it remains that way, followed by Wish You Were Here, Dark Side of the Moon, Meddle, and Atom Heart Mother. The latter of which I think is an almost perfect album (not a popular opinion) except for Alan's Psychedelic Breaktast, which was just execrable. Drags the record down more than Shamus on Meddle.

Piper At The Gates Of Damn is a delight, but it is as much of an outlier as The Wall is.

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 02-11-23 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-11-23, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah Animals is also my favorite of theirs, it has everything that came before and after it to really represent the band.

I really think The Final Cut is actually a great album that gets shit because it doesn’t have Gilmour singing on it so it basically becomes Waters and Gang. I do think he should have been more involved but the material that’s there is amazing. Two Suns in the Sunset is so damn good and a great album ending song. And although he doesn’t sing on it, Gilmour does some of his best solo work.
PhantomStranger (02-12-23)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.