Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

RIP: Christine McVie (Fleetwood Mac)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

RIP: Christine McVie (Fleetwood Mac)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-22, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 302 Likes on 220 Posts
Re: RIP: Christine McVie (Fleetwood Mac)

And Mick’s tweet 💔

The following 2 users liked this post by Daytripper:
Boondock Saint (12-01-22), Kurt D (11-30-22)
Old 11-30-22, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,923 Likes on 2,799 Posts

RIP

One of their best live performances for television was "The Dance" from 1997 that aired on VH1. I loved that show when it originally aired and bought both the CD and DVD. Christine had amazing vocals on it as well.

I didn't follow the group actively, but I enjoyed a lot of their songs. I was a kid when it was originally released, but Got a Hold on Me was always a fun and catchy pop tune from her.
Old 11-30-22, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 950 Likes on 658 Posts

The Chevrolet commercial using FM's "Everywhere" that plays way too often just played again.
It hits a little different now.
Old 11-30-22, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 247 Likes on 182 Posts

Wow, RIP
Old 11-30-22, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 746 Likes on 452 Posts

Last Friday I picked up "The Alternate Fleetwood Mac" CD box set on Record Store Day. Basically outtakes and demos from the 1975 s/t album through 1987's Tango in the Night. I've been listening to it nonstop since Monday. This is too odd for me.

I'll admit McVie didn't sing many of my alltime favorite FM songs, but I always enjoyed her double-reeded vocal tenor and the emotional hooks of her songs. Undeniable talent. RIP.

The following users liked this post:
Kurt D (11-30-22)
Old 11-30-22, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 302 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Last Friday I picked up "The Alternate Fleetwood Mac" CD box set on Record Store Day. Basically outtakes and demos from the 1975 s/t album through 1987's Tango in the Night. I've been listening to it nonstop since Monday. This is too odd for me.

I'll admit McVie didn't sing many of my alltime favorite FM songs, but I always enjoyed her double-reeded vocal tenor and the emotional hooks of her songs. Undeniable talent. RIP.
Undeniable indeed. She was just lovely. She sang quite a few of my all-time favorite FM songs though. This is way up there. From the criminally underrated "Mirage". One critic review at the time said the vocals soared on this.

Also top tier Fleetwood Mac

Another favorite Christine fronted track

Shared vocals with Lindsey but this could be their best together

Last edited by Daytripper; 11-30-22 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-30-22, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 2,015 Likes on 1,339 Posts

McVie and Buckingham were as good or better than Buckingham Nicks. It was probably bringing the latter two aboard that let McVie tap into her true potential as a writer.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kurt D:
Boondock Saint (12-01-22), Daytripper (11-30-22)
Old 12-01-22, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 203 Likes on 164 Posts

Because Lindsey quit before the "Tango in the NIght" tour, I was too young to see the classic FM lineup live before "The Dance" reunion tour. I saw that show in 1998, and I loved it. Chris was always my favorite voice in FM so I had no interest in seeing them again in the intervening years when she retired. I went again when she came back in 2014. While Lindsey was still a force of nature, the show itself wasn't quite the same. I said after that I would see Lindsey solo again, but probably not FM (certainly not FM without Lindsey!).

I really liked the Buckingham/McVie album though so I wish I had been paying attention in 2017; I would have gone and seen them then when they came through town.
Kurt D (12-01-22)
Old 12-01-22, 06:39 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 393 Likes on 259 Posts

Although Fleetwood Mac has songs that will be forever engrained in my memories, they were never one of my all-time favorite bands. Christine McVie, however, was an iconic musician and she will be sorely missed. RIP Christine...
Old 12-01-22, 06:00 PM

Received 4,842 Likes on 3,274 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
bchbdaddy (12-01-22), Kurt D (12-01-22)
Old 12-02-22, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,058 Posts

What's really getting me are all the comments from so many other musicians/bands on social media.
I couldn't help but think about how fans of different bands will "feud" with fans of other bands or put them down just for not being "their band" and then someone like this passes and then all the other musicians are pouring their hearts out for a colleague and friend. We should take a lesson from that.
Toby Dramit (12-02-22)
Old 04-03-23, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,923 Likes on 2,799 Posts

According to this new story, Christine McVie died from a stroke, but was also suffering from cancer that had spread throughout her body.

Sounded like she was aware that she was in poor health.

McVie was open about her health problems, discussing her struggle months before her death.

“I’m in quite bad health. I’ve got a chronic back problem that debilitates me. I stand up to play the piano, so I don’t know if I could actually physically do it. What’s that saying? The mind is willing, but the flesh is weak,” she told Rolling Stone.