Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Record Store Day 2022

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Record Store Day 2022

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-22, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 913 Likes on 555 Posts
Re: Record Store Day 2022

Grabbed Pearl Jam LO2L, and had my wife pick up a second copy for a friend...who managed to get his own anyway So, now I've got two copies, which ensures that its value will not increase, unlike most PJ albums.

To add insult to injury, PJ dropped a "gold vinyl" version of it on their site yesterday, but I'm already $82 in, and didn't feel like going another $48 in on it, so I'll stick with my two clears.
Old 06-20-22, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

One of the stores I went to (and this is yesterday, mind you, not Saturday at doors open) still had about 5 copies of the Pearl Jam album.

I went to Discogs to check on the availability of the Sweet record, and there were tons for sale. Oh sure, some had marked them up $15 or $20 more, but most were at the same price as in the stores. Meaning, I might wait a bit and see if the prices go down even further, 'cuz they ain't selling.

It was also fun looking at the prices of the Ramones' box set. Up until this weekend, they were going for around $200 or more, meaning people didn't know (myself included, by the way) that more were gonna get released for the second drop.
Old 06-24-22, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, got the Sweet record off Discogs, $10 less than what my local store charged, and even factoring in shipping it's still $5 less. I was planning on buying it from the local store as they had it on their website after RSD ended, but I visited the store on Sunday and they didn't have it, must have been an error.
Old 09-14-22, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Black Friday list is up. I'll definitely be hitting the stores, but not waking up super early and waiting on line.

The one that interests me the most is the re-issue of Marshall Crenshaw's first album, with a second LP of live tracks and outtakes/demos. They're combining all the "Alternative" Fleetwood Mac records from the past RSDs into one box, but I already have them all save Tusk. Do I sell my individual copies (Rumours alone fetches $100 and up on the used market) to finance a purchase of the box set? Hmmm.
Also reissues of some records I recently got by The Rubinoos and Todd Rundgren....not sure if there's enough to warrant a double-dip. I know I didn't spend a lot on the original pressings I got, far less than what they'll want for the reissues.
Old 09-15-22, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Surprisingly thin showing for me this time around...

Might pick up the Joe Strummer "Live at Music Millennium" and The Sword's "Apocryphon" since the RSD exclusive for their "Age of Winters" album was particularly gorgeous.

And maybe the Nightclubbing: The Birth of Punk Rock in NYC CD/DVD. Sounds like there's going to be a standard release at some point, and the RSD edition has some extra footage the standard one won't. Don't know if it'll be worthwhile to pick this up; depends what the price is.

Crazy that I only have maybe three items this time around, when I've been scooping up ten or more.

Old 09-19-22, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

Kinda interested in the Doors Album with the final track on LP for the first time.
Old 11-25-22, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone do the Black Friday RSD?

My first stop was M-Theory, where I got the Fountains of Wayne and Sweet LPs that were near the top of my list. They had the Todd Rundgren and Dead Milkmen records I wanted, but at $80 and $50 respectively, I chose to pass.
Went to Record City's new location, and got the Marshall Crenshaw album that was #1 on my want list (good thing, too, 'cuz they only had one copy of it, and no other store I went to had any at all) and the live Jefferson Airplane. Decided that by scoring #s 1-4 on my want list, I'd put the brakes on any more RSD exclusives.
But I still checked out a few more stores for shits and giggles. Interesting thing happened at Vinyl Junkies; they had the Rubinoos record that was on my list, but pretty low because I already own an original pressing of it, albeit a fairly used one. Then in their "Digger's Den" I found another original pressing, but this one was factory sealed and just $5! So yeah, a factory sealed original pressing for 5 bucks, or $27 for a RSD exclusive? Take a guess which one I got.
Final stop of the day was Reanimated Records, and they had their previous unsold RSD stock at half off, so I got the Patti Smith collection from the April drop for just $15.
Old 11-25-22, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Didn't even bother going out today; this one looks to be a huge dud.

The only thing I was really interested in was yellow cosmic swirl vinyl of The Sword's "Apocryphon," but it got pulled from the list and looks to be delayed until the next RSD.

The Dead Milkmen's "Metaphysical Graffiti" sounds like a fun package, but not for $50 even if does come with a coloring book and bonus 7".

I might be interested in Shadows Fall's "The Art of Balance," but it's not really a priority for me.

And that Ghost "Impera," picture disc might be cool, but I'd have to see it in person first. I rarely buy picture discs, and even then, they have to look really awesome. I think this is just the regular album art on a picture disc, which I generally avoid buying if I can.

Might pop into my store after Christmas and see if I can score the Joe Strummer, Dead Milkmen, and Shadows Fall for 1/2 or 1/3 off.

Frankly, this stuff is getting so expensive that it's really taking the fun out of it. Feels more like someone has their hand in my pocket than anything else.
Old 11-25-22, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I gotta learn to be a little more patient with some of these; When I got that Patti Smith record for 50% off, there were at least three other records in that bin that I paid full price for back in April, all marked down as well.

But hey, you only have to buy what you want. This week, when I heard that the Todd Rundgren record would be a whopping $80, I pulled out my original copy and gave it a listen. Good record? Hell yes it is. But there's a few songs on there that drag, and I thought the sound quality was pretty good. In other words, there's no way to make this thing worth $80. Even the guy reviewing it online, who gushed about the sound quality, was forced to admit the original 2-LP set (now 4, on this remastered job) was always a bit bloated to begin with and could easily be edited down to a good single LP.

And as I also mentioned, the $5 virgin original pressing of The Rubinoos' record kicks the ass of the $28 re-issue up and down the street. Twice.
Old 11-26-22, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Anyone do the Black Friday RSD?
This was the first year I skipped since I got back into vinyl. It seems like every year there's less and less that I want. Add in that most of the "exclusives" I've bought in the past have been subsequently released anyway and I don't really see much point in going out in the cold and battling crowds for something the store may or may not have. If there's something I really want, I'll just pay the ebay price for it and let someone else do the work.
Old 11-26-22, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Forgot about this one. Will eventually get the Bowie one's.
Old 11-26-22, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by John Galt
This was the first year I skipped since I got back into vinyl. It seems like every year there's less and less that I want. Add in that most of the "exclusives" I've bought in the past have been subsequently released anyway and I don't really see much point in going out in the cold and battling crowds for something the store may or may not have. If there's something I really want, I'll just pay the ebay price for it and let someone else do the work.
I think we've had this conversation before, but almost all of the exclusives I get are either live records or something with unique content like demos, alternate takes, rehearsals, etc. That's why I passed on the Rundgren album yesterday, as it offered no additional content, it was just the same record only remastered and in 45rpm. That is not worth $80 to me. Shit, I'd balk on paying $40 for that.

And even with additional content, $50 is way too much for a Dead Milkmen record that isn't one of their best.
Old 11-27-22, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

I got Dream Widow, Bowie/Crosby 12" single, and the Chili Peppers new album. That's it.
Old 11-27-22, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the only time I've truly been "burned" on a RSD Exclusive was that waste of a Clash album from last year or the year before. I paid $35 for a friggin' podcast.

I also noticed in a store this week the Bangles record (Ladies and Gentlemen, The Bangles) that was a RSD Exclusive in around 2016 or 2017 now has a regular release. But a 5 year wait for an LP or paying a few bucks extra for the RSD version is no choice at all.