Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Rage Against the Machine to (eventually) reunite

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Rage Against the Machine to (eventually) reunite

Old 02-14-20, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
re: Rage Against the Machine to (eventually) reunite

Originally Posted by asianxcore

Decided to pay double the face value (on Stubhub) as I've been waiting for this opportunity for more than half my life. Ironically enough, I'm probably still going alone

Both the StL and KC shows (handled by Ticketmaster and AXS, respectively) said all tickets were prohibited from resale or transfer. Perhaps someone purchased 4 but only needed 3 and is adding you to their group?
Old 02-14-20, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
The prices for this connected with the whole “ethos” of the band is a joke. I rarely call bands phony sellouts but I will in this instance.
Yeah, there is really no reason for this reunion tour apart from $$$$. No other reason to sing decades year old protest songs. They are not raging against any machine, they are part of the machine now.
Old 02-14-20, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

I just think it's funny when the "fans" trash them because RATM is supposed to be a charity band working for free as opposed to pointing shit out for people. Did people ever not listen to or read their lyrics? Were these so-called fans just stupidly headbanging to their music with no idea what they were headbanging and moshing to? That's the biggest hypocritical statement of all. "Former fans outraged that Rage Against the Machine is raging against the machine!" I remember when that twerp Paul Ryan said that he loved the band. Uh, yeah, because if he actually knew what they were singing about, he'd be a fan. If anything, their stuff is more relevant now than ever before.
Old 02-14-20, 11:22 AM

Nobody is expecting them to work for free, at least I'm not and I don't think that BF is either, but with the prices of these tickets, I think it's fair to say that the majority of the people who can and will attend these shows are entitled white people who indeed are headbanging to the music and not really listening to the message. But hey, if they just want to get paid in 2020, that's their right.
Old 02-14-20, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

There is not a band/tour that should be avoided at all cost more than these dickbirds. Fuck RATM. Corporate rock for out of touch Gen X.
Old 02-14-20, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Yeah, I'm sorry but the prices are insane--$300 for two nosebleed seats in Sioux Falls. They went from "Stick it to the man" to "Stick it to the fan."
Old 02-14-20, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't get it... The ticket prices for RATM in Detroit were almost exactly the same as the prices for The Black Keys, in the exact same venue. Not only that, but I decided Black Keys weren't worth it, while RATM was... Granted, I've also seen Black Keys quite a few times, while I have never seen RATM live.

I'm just an entitled , out-of-touch, Gen-X white dude though, so who cares...
Old 02-14-20, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

They held some tickets back to sell at a higher price. Supposedly to prevent people paying higher prices to resellers.

So there are a few tickets for the nosebleed level in Chicago still available. Starting at $400 per ticket.

What a bunch of pricks.
Old 02-14-20, 07:10 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

I've wanted to see Rage for 20 years and haven't (I've seen Tom in various forms and went to the PoR tour when that came around). I wanted to sit close and was expecting to pay for it. I am surprised they didn't have tiered pricing. But if you sell a bunch of nosebleeds for $50, scalpers will just take them and sell them for $200. Pearl Jam tickets were $120 too. Deftones on this summer tour were trying to charge $75 for an outdoor GA show. Sorry, no thanks. I've seen them many times before and can't justify that price. It just comes down to what it is worth to you.
Old 02-15-20, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I've never seen them live, and I figured if I didn't see them on this tour, I might never get another chance. 170 Canadian. Worth it. Although it's gonna be tough to beat the Tom Morello show I saw at a club venue a few months ago. AMAZING show.

And yeah, most RATM fans are fucking meatheads.
Old 02-15-20, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
I've never seen them live, and I figured if I didn't see them on this tour, I might never get another chance. 170 Canadian. Worth it. Although it's gonna be tough to beat the Tom Morello show I saw at a club venue a few months ago. AMAZING show.

And yeah, most RATM fans are fucking meatheads.
I thought Tom's Atlas Underground tour was awesome too. I was hesitant about going because of the dubsteppy sound of the album, but seeing him in a small venue like that was just great.
The following users liked this post:
Hazel Motes (02-15-20)
Old 02-21-20, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

So how much were face value average tickets? Everyone is really complaining that it was outraging social media
Old 02-21-20, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
So how much were face value average tickets? Everyone is really complaining that it was outraging social media
$125 + about $20 in fees. Every ticket was the same price regardless of location. The only ones that were more were their charity tickets, similar to how Pearl Jam sells Vitalogy seats.
Old 02-21-20, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by dex14
$125 + about $20 in fees. Every ticket was the same price regardless of location.
And this is the part that's ridiculous. The person in the last row of the upper bowl of an arena shouldn't ever be paying the same price as the person in the first row of the lower bowl, especially when that price is so high.
Old 02-21-20, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
And this is the part that's ridiculous. The person in the last row of the upper bowl of an arena shouldn't ever be paying the same price as the person in the first row of the lower bowl, especially when that price is so high.
Pearl Jam does the same thing and has for years.

It also helps keep scalping prices down. The secondary market starting prices aren’t that much more than the face value. Sure, the better seats will sell for more on the secondary market, but that’s always going to happen. If they sold cheap tickets for $50 they’d be scooped up and resold for $150 anyway So why shouldn’t the band get that money and not scalpers? Plus, a lot of the revenue is going to charity.
Old 02-21-20, 10:09 AM

I have never had a problem getting a ticket at face value when I am prepared to buy it at that price at the onsale time, especially if I have a presale code, which isn't that hard to get. Does doing it this way beat the scalpers? That's debatable, but it does certainly prevent fans on fixed incomes from being able to buy ANY seat at a reasonable price. Yay capitalism.
Old 02-21-20, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Nefarious
Both the StL and KC shows (handled by Ticketmaster and AXS, respectively) said all tickets were prohibited from resale or transfer. Perhaps someone purchased 4 but only needed 3 and is adding you to their group?
That's what I'm hoping, since the tickets being sold were in a batch.

If not, I might be asking for a refund in April
Old 02-21-20, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

I already got an early bird pass to Boston Calling where Foo Fighters and the Chili Peppers are headlining. Rage was revealed as the third headliner, so it was a complete steal for $270 including fees. Can’t wait.
Old 02-21-20, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I already got an early bird pass to Boston Calling where Foo Fighters and the Chili Peppers are headlining. Rage was revealed as the third headliner, so it was a complete steal for $270 including fees. Can’t wait.
Very nice. At that price, and if you are local, it is an absolute steal. Especially now that Frusciante is back with RHCP.

I considered going to that, but with the tickets now at $450/ea plus the cost of lodging, it would've been around $2k. The undercard didn't justify the cost to me. If it was a fully stacked lineup, I wouldn't have hesitated. They blew their load on the headliners.
Old 02-21-20, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

'member in the 80s and early 90s when tickets to concerts cost under $25, were general admission, there were no fees, and parking was free?
Old 02-21-20, 10:05 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
'member in the 80s and early 90s when tickets to concerts cost under $25, were general admission, there were no fees, and parking was free?

I still have a ticket stub from Def Leppard's Pyromania tour (Def Leppard, Krokus, and Gary Moore) in '83 for $8.50.
Old 02-23-20, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Arena show ticket prices have jumped absurdly over the last decade or so. That's been trickling down to the theaters, although in Denver there are still at least a few places where you can get inter/national acts at $20 a show. I finally came to the decision that I was willing to travel to see Rage, but by that point it was days after the on sale, so I'm out of luck. Kind of bummed, but my life won't change in any way.
Old 02-25-20, 08:07 AM

"The band has announced second shows for Glendale (4/1), East Troy (7/11), and Toronto (7/25). What’s more, Rage have added two more dates in New York City (8/14, 8/17), bringing the total number of shows scheduled at Madison Square Garden to five."
Old 02-26-20, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
"The band has announced second shows for Glendale (4/1), East Troy (7/11), and Toronto (7/25). What’s more, Rage have added two more dates in New York City (8/14, 8/17), bringing the total number of shows scheduled at Madison Square Garden to five."
Still waiting to see if they announce any LA dates.
Old 02-26-20, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Still waiting to see if they announce any LA dates.
Probably not until at least the week of 4/20... post-Coachella radius clause.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.