Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Post a song you like or love.

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Post a song you like or love.

Old 05-19-24, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Re: Post a song you like or love.

Old 05-19-24, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 204 Likes on 152 Posts

Old 05-22-24, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 376 Likes on 253 Posts

I was watching Streets Of Fire the other day ... the movie and its soundtrack are still as good as they were 40(!) years ago.

The following 2 users liked this post by Toby Dramit:
kahuna (06-08-24), tasha99 (06-22-24)
Old 05-22-24, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 825 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Dramit
I was watching Streets Of Fire the other day ... the movie and its soundtrack are still as good as they were 40(!) years ago.

Streets of Fire 1984, I Can Dream About You - Dan Hartman, 4K Upscaling & HQ Sound (youtube.com)
Amazing that it's the same voice that sang and wrote this...

and this...

Dan Hartman is such a tragic story...
The following users liked this post:
Toby Dramit (05-22-24)
Old 05-24-24, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 793 Likes on 644 Posts

I dedicate this to the KC Chiefs

Old 06-05-24, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 614 Likes on 450 Posts

I've listened to this song/watched this video about a hundred times in the last few weeks.
Old 06-07-24, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Old 06-12-24, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 901 Likes on 760 Posts

Cowboy Junkies' ethereal cover of Lou Reed's Sweet Jane. Margo Timmins delivers one of the most exquisite vocal performances of the 1980s. I was blown away by the song when I first heard it in Natural Born Killers and remains one of my favorites.

Toby Dramit (06-12-24)
Old 06-17-24, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 793 Likes on 644 Posts

Old 06-17-24, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Cowboy Junkies' ethereal cover of Lou Reed's Sweet Jane. Margo Timmins delivers one of the most exquisite vocal performances of the 1980s. I was blown away by the song when I first heard it in Natural Born Killers and remains one of my favorites.
It's a great album, recorded at Holy Trinity church in Toronto.
The sound quality is fantastic, and according to the recording engineer it was recorded on a Sony Betamax hooked up to an A/D converter and using a single microphone.

I remember first hearing of them when that album came out in 1988. I was working at the local steel company and would come home from a nigh shift, turn on the TV and while surfing past MuchMusic I'd often see them play the music video for Misguided Angel.

Toby Dramit (06-17-24)
Old 06-19-24, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 376 Likes on 253 Posts

Obscure/forgotten L.A. based new wave band A Drop In The Gray from their debut (and only) album Certain Sculptures in the mid-80s. I was able to pick up a copy on vinyl not long ago.

Old 06-22-24, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 414 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdogg
I think I listened to this when you first posted it, then Youtube started recommending more. I'm still in the Hozier rabbit hole. I wanted to go see him in Billings (only venue I could find with scalped tickets) or San Diego (a few tickets from the venue were left a couple weeks ago). My husband does NOT want to go to Billings or San Diego to see him, though, so not happening. I will acknowledge a 15 hour drive to see an act only one of us likes isn't a reasonable use of our time and money, but waaaaah. (If we had a crying emoji, I'd put it here. I guess dvdtalk is like baseball, though--no crying. )
Old 06-23-24, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by tasha99
I think I listened to this when you first posted it, then Youtube started recommending more. I'm still in the Hozier rabbit hole. I wanted to go see him in Billings (only venue I could find with scalped tickets) or San Diego (a few tickets from the venue were left a couple weeks ago). My husband does NOT want to go to Billings or San Diego to see him, though, so not happening. I will acknowledge a 15 hour drive to see an act only one of us likes isn't a reasonable use of our time and money, but waaaaah. (If we had a crying emoji, I'd put it here. I guess dvdtalk is like baseball, though--no crying. )
If you can take him into it, Hozier was very impressive when I saw him in Wilmington. Another thing of interest for that show anyway, the ticket prices collapsed as the gates opened on the third party sights. Pit tickets where going for $30-$40 which was cheaper than lawn. I don't know how it's been at other shows.
Old 06-23-24, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you can take him into it, Hozier was very impressive when I saw him in Wilmington. Another thing of interest for that show anyway, the ticket prices collapsed as the gates opened on the third party sights. Pit tickets where going for $30-$40 which was cheaper than lawn. I don't know how it's been at other shows.
I bet that happened because most venues aren't allowing resales right now--only last minute. I find anti scalping measures frustrating, because it's a backup for people who weren't on time buying their tickets. Flooding all the resale tickets to the last few days seems like it could cause the secondary market to crash.
Old 06-23-24, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 576 Likes on 402 Posts

I bet that happened because most venues aren't allowing resales right now--only last minute. I find anti scalping measures frustrating, because it's a backup for people who weren't on time buying their tickets. Flooding all the resale tickets to the last few days seems like it could cause the secondary market to crash.
Honestly, it's about time they cracked down. I got really sick and tired of trying to get tickets on Ticketmaster and immediately find the same seats relisted on Ticketmaster for 2-5x face value.
Old 06-23-24, 07:48 PM

You can buy tickets in advance. The transfer just happens later. The whole Fan2Fan is just lip service.
Old 06-24-24, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can buy tickets in advance. The transfer just happens later. The whole Fan2Fan is just lip service.
Wait, where would I find tickets then? My best friend likes Hozier, and I'm pretty sure she'd go see him in Bend with me if I could find tickets.
Old 06-24-24, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Meathead
Honestly, it's about time they cracked down. I got really sick and tired of trying to get tickets on Ticketmaster and immediately find the same seats relisted on Ticketmaster for 2-5x face value.
Yeah, resellers making it hard to buy in the first place would be annoying. I usually go to less popular shows, but ran into that buying Hamilton tickets years ago. But after a big stall out on my computer (I think ticketmaster was slammed), I actually got tickets--then over the next several months watched them climb in price to the point where I couldn't bring myself to use them. My kids, who didn't know the value of a dollar, used theirs since I felt it was a gift I couldn't take back. But I sold the other 2 tickets and it paid for their flights and some of their hotel.

Is there a site that does that? The tickets at most concerts I've seen get released 3 days prior and they make a big deal about how resold tickets won't work.
Old 06-24-24, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 576 Likes on 402 Posts

Yeah, resellers making it hard to buy in the first place would be annoying. I usually go to less popular shows, but ran into that buying Hamilton tickets years ago. But after a big stall out on my computer (I think ticketmaster was slammed), I actually got tickets--then over the next several months watched them climb in price to the point where I couldn't bring myself to use them. My kids, who didn't know the value of a dollar, used theirs since I felt it was a gift I couldn't take back. But I sold the other 2 tickets and it paid for their flights and some of their hotel.
Yeah it was terrible when Springsteen went on sale the last time. I had the presale code, most of the good seats were already gone then when the general on sale happened all the good seats were 4 and 5x face value as verified resale on Ticketmaster. Seriously WTF!

Back on the U2 Innocence/Experience tour my friend bailed on me for NYC/MSG. I went anyways and sold the extra ticket via Ticketmaster for more than I paid. It covered all my expenses for the trip.
Old 06-24-24, 06:42 PM

Wait, where would I find tickets then? My best friend likes Hozier, and I'm pretty sure she'd go see him in Bend with me if I could find tickets.

Is there a site that does that? The tickets at most concerts I've seen get released 3 days prior and they make a big deal about how resold tickets won't work.
All of them. Stubhub, Seat Geek, Vivid, Game Time, Tic Pic etc. The non transfer is a hollow threat. Too much money in the resale market. Those companies have built workarounds where they will host the tickets on a website. When the tickets become available the seller sends them to the reseller and the reseller sends you an email with a link to the tickets. The tickets very leave the original sellers Ticketmaster account. You will not be able to add them to an Apple/Google wallet. Slightly higher chance of fraud but not big enough that it's a problem plus those companies and your credit card off protection.

Also production release tickets that were held back and not used will become available in the days before the concert through Ticketmaster. I have yet to see a show that doesn't have them.
tasha99 (06-27-24)
Old 06-30-24, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 255 Likes on 183 Posts

Loved this live version of Chance by Big Country, Stuart get the crowd to sing the chorus.

Toby Dramit (06-30-24)