Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Weeknd

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-21, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: The Weeknd

Originally Posted by Decker
Who cares if he doesn't want to schmooze? He's a musician and a heck of a performer. He doesn't have to chat if he just wants the music to speak for itself, he's not like an actor trying to explain to the audience why they should go to his movie or watch his show. The musical performance sells the album.
And Uncut Gems showed that he has a nice self-deprecating sense of humor as well.
Sure his manager and label would prefer he did. The Graham Norton Show is known for having a very friendly family style atmosphere, so to not want to talk, even for a minute, comes across as egotistical and douchie. Its a move that comes across as disrespectful to the show he is actually on, and it doesnt paint him in a good light.

As for Uncut Gems... i cant even remember him in it. Terrible movie and one i barely remember as it was so bad, so his acting skills or sense of humor didnt leave an impression with me.
The following users liked this post:
Daytripper (01-18-21)
Old 01-18-21, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

The same could be said about Graham Norton and I think he has a laugh track since not all of his stuff is funny though he has good guests.

Old 01-18-21, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
The same could be said about Graham Norton and I think he has a laugh track since not all of his stuff is funny though he has good guests.
What could be said about Norton?
Old 02-03-21, 01:25 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

In the weeks leading up to the Weeknd’s performance at the Super Bowl LV Halftime Show this Sunday, many people have commented on the full-face bandages he’s worn in recent photos and during his performance on the American Music Awards. Variety caught up with the Weeknd this week during a break from Super Bowl rehearsals and asked a few questions about them (his answers appear below), but first, a little backstory:

Back in November of 2020, the Weeknd launched his “After Hours” album cycle with a pair of songs — the smash singles and videos “Blinding Lights” (which was Variety‘s Hitmakers Record of the Year) and “Heartless” — that began the red-jacketed, busted-nose character and his bad-night-in-Las-Vegas storyline that has continued through many of his videos, TV and awards show appearances.

The Weeknd spoke with Variety about the videos in our cover story back in April, but didn’t reveal much: “This character is having a really bad night, and you can come with own interpretation of what it is.” That bad night starts off with a few too many drinks and a fight, but then the story becomes more surreal, apparently involving possession by an evil spirit, decapitation and more.

And just when the bandaged-nose started to seem normal, the Weeknd appeared with his face fully wrapped in bandages during his literally explosive appearance on the American Music Awards in November, like a person who’d just had plastic surgery — and the “Save Your Tears” video made it look like that’s exactly what happened. However, his new Super Bowl ad, released Tuesday, shows him looking completely normal.

Over the past few weeks, the internet has been full of chatter, memes and confusion, with many fans wondering what the bandages mean, and whether he will continue the theme at the Super Bowl. What’s going on? The Weeknd answers a few — but by no means all — of our questions below.

Your “After Hours” character has been increasingly more bandaged, with an entire head bandage at AMAs, and is now evidently post-plastic surgery. People have been speculating about this for weeks — what does it symbolize or mean?

The significance of the entire head bandages is reflecting on the absurd culture of Hollywood celebrity and people manipulating themselves for superficial reasons to please and be validated.

Can you give any insight into how the bandages fit into the original “bad night in Las Vegas” storyline?

It’s all a progression and we watch The Character’s storyline hit heightened levels of danger and absurdity as his tale goes on.

What can we take from the fact that you seem to be intentionally making your face increasingly unattractive while promoting your biggest album?

I suppose you could take that being attractive isn’t important to me but a compelling narrative is.

Sometimes you appear in photos or on TV and videos in character, sometimes not. Why?

Why not play with the character and the artist and let those lines blur and move around?

Are you in character now?

I don’t know, I’d have to ask him.
https://variety.com/2021/music/news/...CSVYab2dvsR-Po
Old 02-03-21, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bet the NFL is probably going to review his act so he does not do something crazy like he has in his music videos and bet they won't let him wear bandages on his face thought that phase is probably over now.

Old 02-05-21, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 171 Posts

Very timely marketing to drop a greatest hits album two days before the Super Bowl
Old 02-05-21, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,194 Likes on 4,221 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Very timely marketing to drop a greatest hits album two days before the Super Bowl
Totally. If the Super Bowl was in 2003. Now who buys Greatest Hits CDs? I didn't even know that was still a thing.
Old 02-05-21, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Unless it has new bonus tracks it should be a pass but you can always download those new songs.
Old 02-15-21, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There will be a Showtime doc on his Super Bowl performance.

The Weeknd’s Super Bowl LV halftime performance will be the subject of a 90-minute documentary titled The Show.

The Pepsi-produced doc, which is directed by Nadia Hallgren, will air later this year on Showtime and go behind the scenes of the Weeknd's 13-minute performance.

The documentary promises audiences an in-depth look into the months of planning that went into the show, which was watched by an audience of nearly 100 million.

https://www.iheart.com/content/2021-...line1_readmore

Last edited by JeffTheAlpaca; 03-11-21 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-15-21, 07:47 PM

There will be a Showtime doc on his Super Bowl performance.

Will it be longer than the actual show?
I mean you quote says it’s a 90 minute behind the scenes documentary about preparing for the 13 minute show. So, yes?
Old 03-11-21, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He is boycoting the Grammys

It would be a shame if he never performed on the show again

The pop star said he will no longer submit songs for the music industry's most prestigious annual awards show after it declined to nominate him for a single accolade for his hit single "Blinding Lights," which has spent 52 weeks in the top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100.

The news comes as the organization behind the Grammys is facing scrutiny over its secretive voting system and alleged biases against Black and female artists.

The singer has taken issue in particular with the lack of transparency on the voting process for the most coveted awards. Nominations are chosen by members of the Recording Academy, a Santa Monica, California-based nonprofit whose membership is composed of industry artists, producers and executives and other staffers.The singer has taken issue in particular with the lack of transparency on the voting process for the most coveted awards. Nominations are chosen by members of the Recording Academy, a Santa Monica, California-based nonprofit whose membership is composed of industry artists, producers and executives and other staffers.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/11/busin...ott/index.html
Old 03-11-21, 11:44 PM

It might be an overreacting but seriously how did that album and song get shut out? It was a fantastic song and a HUGE hit. I checked out the nine(!) songs nominated in the Record of the Year category and I only knew like two of them. None are bad but none comes close to Blinding Lights.
​​​​​​https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3I...urce=copy-link
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
IBJoel (03-12-21), Meathead (03-12-21)
Old 03-12-21, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Unless they were counting songs that were popular or hits in 2019 and not 2020 since the Grammys seem to be a year behind in their nominations.

That Dababy Rockstar song should not be nominated.
IBJoel (03-12-21)
Old 03-12-21, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

That's awesome. I love that The Weeknd became popular (I first heard him in... I want to say 2013, when he did a remix of Kavinsky's "Odd Look"), although am constantly baffled at how he did so, with his subject matter being so dark. I once heard "In the Night" (an underrated gem of his about sexual abuse) playing in a Denny's. I'm glad so many people seem to be supporting him, too.
JeffTheAlpaca (03-15-21)
Old 04-24-21, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A new remix with Arianna Grande

Old 08-22-21, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like he has another huge smash hit with his new song

Old 11-10-21, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The duet we all have been waiting for

This is like Hulk Hogan teaming up with Savage to form the Mega Powers

Meathead (11-10-21)
Old 01-06-22, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This has been out for a while

He continues to put out the hits

Old 01-08-22, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 434 Likes on 298 Posts

New album came out yesterday... Dawn FM

Absolutely fantastic!
Old 01-10-22, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it is only through streaming or download since I don't see the CD at Amazon
Old 01-10-22, 03:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Listened to this on Apple Music, with Atmos. Great sound as usual. Some pretty good songs in this one, Take My Breath has some strong Kavinsky pseudo-80’s vibes going on.
Old 01-10-22, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I think it is only through streaming or download since I don't see the CD at Amazon
You can buy a signed copy from his website and Target has one with alternate artwork. Physical release on 1/28.
JeffTheAlpaca (01-12-22)
Old 01-10-22, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

I'd love to support the market in general by buying Atmos music on discs (Blu-Ray Audio) but if they don't put them out then I have little choice but to listen to them on Apple Music. They should have kept Atmos off of streaming and on disc exclusively to reinvigorate the market- incidentally I didn't think much of this guy at first (especially his name) but after listening to some of his stuff on Apple (spending no additional money) I have to admit I'm impressed.
Old 01-10-22, 03:56 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Okay, I have to agree with you on the Atmos thing. That being said, as much Dolby Atmos content available on Apple Music right now, I’d be damn near broke buying blu-ray audio discs - although I still do from time to time with what little bit there is available.

I’ve dug his music since his first album.
Old 01-22-22, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not really digging his new song yet

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.