Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Beck -- "Morning Phase" -- New Album -- Feb. 2014

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Beck -- "Morning Phase" -- New Album -- Feb. 2014

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-14, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Beck -- "Morning Phase" -- New Album -- Feb. 2014

I'm hoping it gets announced for Blu-ray Audio or at least as a HDTracks 24 Bit download.
Old 02-07-14, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 995 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by JANK
Vinyl? Really? Why?
Because they haven't announced the 8-track yet.
Old 02-07-14, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by emanon
Because they haven't announced the 8-track yet.
Of course! My turntable may be gone but not my Wollensack 8-track.
Old 02-07-14, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by GenPion
I'm hoping it gets announced for Blu-ray Audio or at least as a HDTracks 24 Bit download.
Giles said earlier that he has a Blu-ray Audio of the album.
Old 02-07-14, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Giles said earlier that he has a Blu-ray Audio of the album.
He was referring to Sea Change, though. It was just released on Blu-ray Audio.
Old 02-09-14, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 215 Posts

Whoops, misread. Going to have to look that up now.
Old 02-16-14, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any limited edition, numbered,etc....

About to drop a a dime at Amazon but wound hate to miss an exclusive somewhere.
Old 02-17-14, 06:27 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Now streaming on NPR if you missed the earlier leak: http://www.npr.org/2014/02/16/274773...se?ft=1&f=1039
Old 02-19-14, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I like it alot. It's not as good as Sea Change...but it's still worth my money imho.
Old 02-19-14, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was one of the few Beck fans who didn't care for Sea Change at all, but I'd be willing to pick this one up. What I've heard so far sounds pretty good.
Old 03-01-14, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Beck is the musical guest on SNL tonight.
Old 03-01-14, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the album but this has the unfortunate timing to be released the same day as the new St. Vincent, which is far superior. I can't fault the music or production here, but the lyrics seem a bit pedestrian and ultimately it feels like a Sea Change retread without an underlying theme.

Again, I like it. Probably needs more time to settle before I can rank it in Beck's discography.
Old 03-01-14, 02:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the new St. Vincent but I prefer the new Beck.
Old 03-01-14, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 927 Likes on 782 Posts

It's not as good as Sea Change, but Morning Phase is mostly Sea Change 2.0 with a hint of Mutations thrown-in for good measure. Definitely worth getting for fans of the Beckster.
Old 03-01-14, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's not as good as Sea Change, but Morning Phase is mostly Sea Change 2.0 with a hint of Mutations thrown-in for good measure. Definitely worth getting for fans of the Beckster.
You know, I kind of thought that at first, too, but with every listen I'm liking it more and more. Up until this release, Sea Change has been my favorite album by him, even though I tend to like all his stuff. It might lack the more easily identifiable singles that album had, but Morning Phase strikes me more as a whole album kind of listening experience anyway, and that's still just fine with me.

I only got the CD, as I'm on a bit of a budget presently, and the vinyl was more than twice the cost of the CD. I kind of hate that many times, solely because it's a major artist on a major label, that will often be the case. If it were an indie artist on an indie label, the costs would be more in line (with $1 to $5) of each other, and then I usually do opt for the vinyl version, instead. Especially if it comes with a download card.

Incidentally, I have read that the download that comes with the vinyl, is in fact a needle drop of the album. You can hear it at the start an end of it.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 03-01-14 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-09-14, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Grammy nom for album of the year.
Old 12-09-14, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 303 Likes on 193 Posts

Damn right. Still my favorite of the year.
Old 02-09-15, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Bumped to congratulate Beck for being one of the few deserving winners of a best album Grammy. I can only think of a few others.
Old 02-09-15, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,349 Likes on 976 Posts

Kanye DID let him finish (after a fake-out) but is still pissed off.
Old 02-09-15, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

Why do they allow this idiot anywhere near an award show? Please do us all big favor Kanye, and boycott The Grammys and all award shows from now on.

Beck Responds to Kanye West's Onstage Interruption

As old beekeeping wisdom goes, disturb the Queen and you’ll have to deal with the whole hive. When Grammy voters awarded Beck — and not Beyoncé — Album of the Year, they had to know they were awakening a sleeping monster, a monster named Kanye West.

"I just know that the Grammys, if they want real artists to keep coming back, they need to stop playing with us," West told E! after Sunday night’s ceremony, where he stormed the stage after Beck's name was announced for Album of the Year. He continued to rant at length: "We ain’t gonna play with them no more. And Beck needs to respect artistry and he should’ve given his award to Beyoncé.

"And at this point, we tired of it because what happens is, when you keep on diminishing art, and not respecting the craft, and smacking people in the face after they deliver monumental feats of music, you're disrespectful to inspiration. And we as musicians have to inspire people who go to work every day and they listen to that Beyoncé album, they feel like it takes them to another place, then they do this whole promotional event that, they'll run the music over somebody's speech, the artist, because they wanted commercial advertising.

"And by the way, I got my wife, I got my daughter, and I got my clothing line, so I'm not gonna do nothing to put my daughter at risk, but I am here to fight for creativity. That's the reason I didn't say anything tonight. But y'all know what it meant when 'Ye walks on that stage."

Both Beck and Bey were up for Album of the Year; Beck for Morning Phase, his first album since 2008, and Beyoncé for her self-titled fifth album which she dropped as a complete surprise in December 2013. Before the ceremony, Beyoncé was the favorite to win but, in the surprise of the night, Morning Phase took home the night’s top honor.

When West briefly joined beck on stage during the ceremony, most viewers thought he was joking as a nod to his now-infamous “Imma let you finish" moment with Taylor Swift at the VMAs in 2009. As it turns out, he was as serious as 808s & Heartbreak.

But Beck says he has no hard feelings for West following the incident.

"I thought she was going to win," Beck admitted to reporters backstage. "Come on, she’s Beyoncé! … I was just so excited he was coming up. He deserves to be on stage as much as anybody. How many great records has he put out in the last five years, right?"

In an interview with Rolling Stone, fellow nominee Sam Smith had promised to give his award to Beyoncé should he come out on top Sunday night. While he did win three of the other major awards — Record of the Year, Song of the Year, and Best New Artist — he did not take home Album of the Year, thus letting him off on a technicality.

For her part, Mrs. Kanye West, Kim Kardashian, seemed to share her husband’s sentiments, uploading a picture on Instagram of herself, Chrissy Teigen, and John Legend with the caption, “This is the Beck won that award face?!?!?!”

But Kanye and Kim weren’t the only ones defending Queen BeySunday night. Minutes after he won Album of the Year, Beck’s Wikipedia page was altered, calling him the “Grammy stealer of the century.” Because this is the Internet, Beck’s fans immediately fired back writing that, “This article is about a man who has achieved 3 decades of musical success mainly by himself. For the woman who needed 5 songwriters and 2 vocalists behind her to achieve any decent level of success, see Beyoncé.”

It's Monday. Winter is far from over. It feels like everyone could use a breather here.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/beck-res...539953256.html
Old 02-09-15, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

The following statement disappoints me:

"I thought she was going to win," Beck admitted to reporters backstage. "Come on, she’s Beyoncé! … I was just so excited he was coming up. He deserves to be on stage as much as anybody. How many great records has he put out in the last five years, right?"

Just remain silent if you must, but to join in the ass-kissing of those two is pathetic.
Old 02-09-15, 11:47 AM

Received 4,966 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Kanye has a point in the message he's trying to convey... but if that is the case, then he should not go to award shows... much like how Woody Allen stays away from the Oscars.
Old 02-09-15, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't get Kanye raging...I mean is Beck, he is one of the most creative people in music. I though he was defending creativity
Old 02-09-15, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
I don't get Kanye raging...I mean is Beck, he is one of the most creative people in music. I though he was defending creativity
I think Kanye has never heard a Beck song. Plus he's a closed minded idiot. I suspect he doesn't think a lot of artists outside his little circle are worth listening to.
Old 02-09-15, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz
The following statement disappoints me:

Just remain silent if you must, but to join in the ass-kissing of those two is pathetic.
Seriously. Kanye knows what he's doing. Controversy creates cash, and he loves seeing his name trending on social media and his stunts talked about at water coolers everywhere on Monday. But to basically throw these two on a pedestal simply inflates their ego's more.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.