Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Beck -- "Morning Phase" -- New Album -- Feb. 2014

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Beck -- "Morning Phase" -- New Album -- Feb. 2014

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-15, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Beck -- "Morning Phase" -- New Album -- Feb. 2014

Originally Posted by cdollaz
The following statement disappoints me:

"I thought she was going to win," Beck admitted to reporters backstage. "Come on, she’s Beyoncé! … I was just so excited he was coming up. He deserves to be on stage as much as anybody. How many great records has he put out in the last five years, right?"

Just remain silent if you must, but to join in the ass-kissing of those two is pathetic.
The music world is afraid of saying anything negative about either of them.

I get that some fences need to stay unbroken, but c'mon. Even Eminem self-censored a lyric about Beyoncé in a song about 10 years ago. It must be some unwritten rule in the industry.
Old 02-09-15, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Kanye has a point in the message he's trying to convey... but if that is the case, then he should not go to award shows... much like how Woody Allen stays away from the Oscars.
What's the point he's trying to convey? That no one deserves to win except the people he brands "creative"? Because I have a hard time rationalizing Beyoncé's artistry over Beck's.
Old 02-09-15, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 7,132 Likes on 4,840 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
What's the point he's trying to convey? That no one deserves to win except the people he brands "creative"? Because I have a hard time rationalizing Beyoncé's artistry over Beck's.
Beck's Odelay (and also The Smashing Pumpkin's Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness) lost to Celine Dion's Falling Into You -- now that's a disgrace worthy of intervention. This is one very good album losing to another very good album. Nothing to get worked up about that.

That said, I thought this was a funny callback and I had no problem with it at all.
Old 02-09-15, 03:38 PM

Kanye has a point in the message he's trying to convey... but if that is the case, then he should not go to award shows... much like how Woody Allen stays away from the Oscars.
Of course he goes to the Grammys : He's won 21 Grammys and has been nominated 53 times! In only eleven years!
Old 02-09-15, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 731 Likes on 438 Posts

10 -15 years from now people will still be listening to Beck's Morning Phase, doubt they will put the new Beyonce on. Same goes for Beck's prior work, I can imagine people just discovering Mellow Gold and Odelay for the first time this year. I wonder how many people are thinking "I think I will put on some Destiny's Child" when I get home?

Kanye is an ass. The music he makes is disposable.
Old 02-09-15, 03:53 PM

Received 5,053 Likes on 3,415 Posts

Because what happens is when you keep on diminishing art and not respecting the craft and smacking people in the face after they deliver monumental feats of music, you’re disrespectful to inspiration. And we as musicians have to inspire people who go to work every day. And they listen to that Beyoncé album and they feel like it takes them to another place. Then they do this whole promotional event, that, you know, they’ll run the music over somebody’s speech, the artist, because they want a commercial advertising. Like no, we not playing with them no more.
To me... what he's getting at is just that awards are bullshit to begin with. I'm not defending what he did, which was stupid. Well actually... if his original actions were just a joke, it was funny. But the post show stuff is what the issue is. I'm not advocating any of the music, nominees, etc. Just saying that he has a point.

But with that said, he's an idiot, his public image is fucking atrocious.
Old 02-09-15, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To me... what he's getting at is just that awards are bullshit to begin with.
Seems to me he takes a lot more credence in awards shows than most people. To the point where he's willing to get up like a buffoon to protest who won on at least two occasions. Maybe I'm not in tune to Kanye speak enough to catch the nuance of someone making a gigantic deal about who wins an award while at the same time thinking "awards shows are bullshit to begin with"
Old 02-09-15, 04:07 PM

Received 5,053 Likes on 3,415 Posts

Seems to me he takes a lot more credence in awards shows than most people. To the point where he's willing to get up like a buffoon to protest who won on at least two occasions. Maybe I'm not in tune to Kanye speak enough to catch the nuance of someone making a gigantic deal about who wins an award while at the same time thinking "awards shows are bullshit to begin with"
You aren't wrong.

I guess the main thing is... like someone previously alluded to... expect for an album announcement shortly.
Old 02-09-15, 09:08 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
10 -15 years from now people will still be listening to Beck's Morning Phase, doubt they will put the new Beyonce on. Same goes for Beck's prior work, I can imagine people just discovering Mellow Gold and Odelay for the first time this year. I wonder how many people are thinking "I think I will put on some Destiny's Child" when I get home?

Kanye is an ass. The music he makes is disposable.
Why can't people listen to both albums in 15 years? Only shit like these award shows make it an either/or proposition. Both albums are great.
Old 02-10-15, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 292 Likes on 218 Posts

I think Kanye has never heard a Beck song. Plus he's a closed minded idiot. I suspect he doesn't think a lot of artists outside his little circle are worth listening to.
Kanye referenced Beck lyrics in Get 'Em High. He was also (insultingly, for both him and Beck) asked by some media outlet if he knew who Beck was yesterday.
Old 02-10-15, 09:35 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Shirley Manson had this to say. I never did understand Kanye's defense for Beyonce.

Old 02-10-15, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bumped to congratulate Beck for being one of the few deserving winners of a best album Grammy. I can only think of a few others.
Deserving or deserving given the competition?
Old 02-10-15, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What point was that?

Originally Posted by nando820
I don't get Kanye raging...I mean is Beck, he is one of the most creative people in music. I though he was defending creativity
Did Kanye West not know who Beck is? I mean, c'mon, Kanye.
Old 02-10-15, 10:03 AM
RIP

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

Kanye West is an outstanding candidate for suicide.
Old 02-10-15, 10:51 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I was Jay-Z I'd be thinking, "This dude is a little TOO invested in what happens to my wife."
Old 02-10-15, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I might feel differently if Mark Kozelek jumped up on stage in defense of HIS un-nominated record. Kanye thinks Beyonce has it bad? What about all the brilliant records that go unrecognized outside of Kanye's commercial claptrap world?
Old 02-10-15, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

IMHO Beck outshines Beyoncé sooooo much that this is Beyoncé ridiculousness. Why the hoopla over her?
Old 02-10-15, 11:02 AM

I think Beyonce is a great album, but was happy that Morning Phase won because 1) I think it's a better album and 2) Beck got screwed out of the Album of the Year award for Odelay.

If Kanye should be upset about anything this year, it should be the fact that Beyonce (the album) lost R&B Album of the Year award to Pharell's Girl which is a FAR inferior album known only because it's the Pharell album that "Happy" is on.
Old 02-10-15, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Kanye probably believes a record cannot be record of the year unless it's R&B.
Old 02-10-15, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Kanye referenced Beck lyrics in Get 'Em High. He was also (insultingly, for both him and Beck) asked by some media outlet if he knew who Beck was yesterday.
Why is that insulting in light of his actions?
Old 02-10-15, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Because Beck didn't create a work of art like Beyonce (which is a bizarre comment in and of itself).

Morning Phase is probably so contrary to everything Kanye West considers to be interesting music that his opinion is not relevant. I find the record to be boring myself but I'd still put it on in a second over Beyonce.
Old 02-10-15, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why is that insulting in light of his actions?
Regardless of his actions, it's still a weird way for the reporter to ask Kanye about Beck, as if he's never heard of him.

It's insulting to Kanye because he has referenced Beck in his lyrics, and as someone who is in the industry, is presumably aware of most major performing artists, regardless of his opinion of them, or his public persona. And yes, he's still an ass for saying that shit about Beck and artistry.

It's insulting to Beck obviously because he's been famous for over 20 years.

Last edited by bluetoast; 02-10-15 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-10-15, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Beck sucks. Beyoncé sucks. Kanye sucks more.
Old 02-10-15, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

The only song I've heard from Beck is the one he did for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind which I enjoyed. Any albums I should listen to for a newcomer?

http://imgur.com/gallery/AxppoWI
Old 02-10-15, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Listen to Odelay, Midnite Vultures, Mutations, Sea Change.

Then listen to all the others.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.