Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-16, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Originally Posted by CRM114
Pat Metheny Group possibly?
Not quite, but very close! I do like what I hear though; very cool!
Old 03-05-16, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Thanks for the suggestion, brother! Its appreciated. I have been eyeballing Coltrane for a few days and at $11 I went for it. I also got The Animals No. 2 (RSD release). I'll probably order Zombies BBC soon.

I'm going to check out those other Blue Note artists when I get home!

Being the jazz aficionado that you are maybe you can help me out. I really like jazz with drums, bass, and keys. A jazzy groove that almost sounds like Muzak. The closest thing that comes to this that I can pinpoint is the first song/intro on Stone Temple Pilots - Tiny Music album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywv6D-67EbI

Ive always wanted a band like this (is this even jazz? lol) and Ive only heard ONE other band like this. I was at a bar in California and these 3 dudes were playing stuff like this. They had no releases; just a garage "Jazz" band that was something Ive never heard before. Any ideas?
What you're looking for falls more under the realm of Lounge/Cocktail music, more so than jazz. STP would often throw elements of those genres into their tunes, and often a bit of Bossa Nova, too. I'd look for artists in those genres.

Always loved that track, titled "Press Play", by STP, too.

Here's another track you might dig, too...

http://youtu.be/2SFt7JHwJeg
Old 03-05-16, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Not quite, but very close! I do like what I hear though; very cool!
You want some Art Blakey

http://youtu.be/2IQNPlnc9c0

http://youtu.be/GoqCGc12Rog
Old 03-05-16, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
What you're looking for falls more under the realm of Lounge/Cocktail music, more so than jazz. STP would often throw elements of those genres into their tunes, and often a bit of Bossa Nova, too. I'd look for artists in those genres.

Always loved that track, titled "Press Play", by STP, too.

Here's another track you might dig, too...

http://youtu.be/2SFt7JHwJeg
Oh hell yea man, I got that on Vinyl! A live version too from this release:

Ive been a huge STP fan since Core and I do love their mix of genres. I have searched a few Bossa Nova, but I mostly find "house music" I never thought of searching lounge music, ill give it a shot. Thanks!
Old 03-05-16, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Oohhhh.... I didnt know I did, but youre right! I do now! Last track remind me of Sandy Nelson. I dig it
Old 03-05-16, 02:47 PM

My awesome wife surprised me with a little gift today just because.... now I gotta surprise her..... she always ups the ante!

Old 03-05-16, 09:36 PM

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Some other laid-back jazz to consider:

The Crusaders

Joe Sample, keyboardist for the Crusaders

Yellowjackets

Larry Carlton

Jean-Luc Ponty
Old 03-06-16, 10:48 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I picked up the reissues of Bowie's Pin-Ups and Ziggy Stardust. Packaging is solid, but haven't had a chance to listen yet. I have the MFSL of Ziggy but since this reissue uses the same AAA remaster as the 40th anniversary vinyl and is supposed to sound amazing, for $20 I had to get it.
Old 03-06-16, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I picked up the reissues of Bowie's Pin-Ups and Ziggy Stardust. Packaging is solid, but haven't had a chance to listen yet. I have the MFSL of Ziggy but since this reissue uses the same AAA remaster as the 40th anniversary vinyl and is supposed to sound amazing, for $20 I had to get it.
I already had the 30th of Ziggy, which sounds amazing, but bought all the others except for Pin-Ups, and they sound eaqually great. The fact that they also pretty faithfully reproduced all of the original album artwork/packaging - from gatefold to textured covers and album inserts - was a welcoming touch, too. Plus, as you pointed out, for roughly $20 a pop, a bargain.
Old 03-06-16, 10:03 PM
Banned by request

I've heard varying things about the others. Space Oddity, TMWSTW, and Hunky Dory all have tape or digital issues (Ziggy is the only AAA transfer of the set), and Aladdin Sane is based off the 30th anniversary mastering, which is way too hot. However, for someone who doesn't want to pay ridiculous amounts of money for the better pressings of those albums, it's not a bad deal.

Pin-Ups has gotten consistently great reviews, as has Ziggy. I might consider TMWSTW due to the recreated packaging.

Edit: Looking at Discogs, it seems like you could get a lot of Bowie UK first pressings in VG conditions for $50 or less. Personally I would go that route if you really love particular albums, especially the ones without good reissues (like Aladdin Sane). When Bowie was still alive I was able to get a first UK pressing of Low for $25, and a first US pressing of Scary Monsters for $20 or less. So there's still posthumous price inflation, but it's not as bad as it was right after he passed.

Last edited by Supermallet; 03-06-16 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-07-16, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I want to get "The Man Who Sold The World" because thats the only shot I have of getting the original cover.
Old 03-07-16, 04:48 PM
Banned by request

Yeah, and aside from the tape issues it's not a bad sounding remaster either.
Old 03-07-16, 08:03 PM

I have no issues with the Bowie reissues. Aladdin Sane was the worst sounding of the bunch.

But the RSD reissues are happening for better or worse. TMWSTW picture disc was confirmed today. Maybe I will frame it. I have been framing the 7" pic disc singles.
Old 03-07-16, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought all six of the new Bowie remasters and they all sounded just great to my ears. I'm no audiophile, but for clean sound and wonderful reproduction of packaging, you just can't do any better for the low price.
Old 03-08-16, 01:07 AM
Banned by request

I am likely being too critical because I'm such a diehard Bowie fan. I'm glad people are enjoying the reissues!
Old 03-08-16, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
I want to get "The Man Who Sold The World" because thats the only shot I have of getting the original cover.
UK or US? Because last month in a thrift store I got this one:

Or are you referring to:
Old 03-08-16, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Personally, I always dug the RCA, post Ziggy success cover of TMWSTW, too.

Same with Space Oddity, as well. Those were the way I was originally introduced to these albums way back in the early 70's. However I have no issues with the original UK covers, either.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 03-08-16 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-08-16, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Some recent finds at the used vinyl store ($3 a pop, VG to NM condition):

And this amazing piece of ponderous pantieliciousness:

Old 03-08-16, 01:26 PM

http://www.recordstoreday.com/News

Here it is . . .
Old 03-08-16, 04:38 PM
Banned by request

I ordered a Japanese release of Judas Priest's Stained Class that is supposed to sound amazing.
Old 03-08-16, 07:27 PM
Banned by request

Also just ordered the following titles from the Todd The Vinyl Junkie sale (posted in the vinyl deals thread):

Old 03-09-16, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I've been going through and buying the new 200g Rush reissues, and I just found out that the download that came with their self titled album has already expired. These albums have a pretty short window for downloads apparently (1 year from the release date).

Anyway, I wanted to add this album to iTunes as well, but apparently I'm out of luck. I know it's a long shot, but if anyone else happened to buy the "Rediscovered" version of the self titled album, redeemed the download, and could maybe help me out with this, it would be appreciated.
Old 03-09-16, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Could somebody weigh in on players? I was all ready to spend about $400 to try something out; narrowing down to a Pro-Ject Carbon or the Rega RP1. Then after more research - the Carbon Esprit DC is better or the RP1 Performance pack, oh wait the RP3 isn't much more!...

Next thing I know I've doubled my budget, but I don't know what audible difference stiffer platters, different cartridges and motors/mounts make.
Old 03-09-16, 10:02 AM

If you are just getting your feet wet, I wouldn't go crazy yet. Go with the RP1. Get a Ortofon 2M blue and Have it professionally mounted. I think you will be very happy. What's the rest of your set up? If it's pretty basic or powered speakers, definitely don't buy an RP3 yet.
Old 03-09-16, 10:56 AM
Banned by request

I say go for a U-Turn Orbit Plus. Best bang for your buck in the entry level arena, IMO.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.