Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Old 03-16-14, 11:38 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Here you go, auto: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...=nosim/dvdtalk

You will want to upgrade at some point, but don't go out of your budget at first if you don't have to.
Old 03-16-14, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet

You will want to upgrade at some point, but don't go out of your budget at first if you don't have to.
I second this recommendation. I had this before upgrading to the Rega RP-1.
Old 03-16-14, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet

Thanks guys, that's the one I was considering. Being a novice, what do I get from the earlier recommendation for the additional $90 bucks?

Find myself leaning towards vinyl, since Spotify handles most of my mobile needs. If I get hooked, not liking the idea that I'll immediately want to upgrade.
Old 03-16-14, 05:02 PM
Banned by request

The U-Turn has better components, so your records will sound better, but I don't think it has an amp built in, so unless your receiver has a native connection for turntables, that would be another (expensive) component you'd need to get. The one I linked to has it built in.

Last edited by Supermallet; 03-16-14 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-16-14, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Question for all you U Turn owners: I finally got mine last week & I love everything about it. Except that belt. It keeps falling off. I was very careful not to stretch it as per the directions. But I'm constantly having to re-loop it around the platter. It falls off simply from hitting the off button. Am I doing something wrong? The pitch sounds correct.

I wish there was a groove around the platter to hold it in place or something.
Old 03-16-14, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may need some talc powder. I've heard putting some in a ziploc bag with the belt and shaking it around can work. Not ideal I know. You aren't the first uturn owner to report this.
Old 03-16-14, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

Just scooped this up from Amazon for $7.99

Old 03-16-14, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Shit, I'm drunk so I bought it too. We need to find me a turntable.
Old 03-16-14, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by auto
I grabbed on as well. I couldn't pass it up at that price.
Old 03-16-14, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can vouch for this one since it's the one that was given to me for my b-day last year. It's an awesome little machine:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...=nosim/dvdtalk
Old 03-16-14, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Honestly, researching the last few days, I had no idea records were so cheap. Lots of ten dollar records and thirty dollar records. Don't understand the idea behind the prices differences.
Old 03-16-14, 10:07 PM

God dammit...I bought way too many albums this week...and now I have to buy that one as well.
Old 03-16-14, 11:09 PM

I can vouch for the upgraditis...as I already want some even better speakers.
Old 03-17-14, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I was blessed that my Onkyo 705 has a phono built in input, so no external amp is required and I've totally incorporated the turntable into my home theater and have the sound coming through a pair of floor standing JBL's and a KLH subwoofer, when I'm feeling saucy. One thing with vinyl and low end reproduction is that it sounds so fucking cool and tight. If I want to cut back on the bass I just hit the switch on the powered subwoofer and let the speakers to the work, but I love bass, so the more the merrier.

BTW, when I bought the Queen vinyl there were only 7 copies left and I see you guys scooped up the rest cuz it's now sold out.

Well done, lads.
Old 03-17-14, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Fuck it, for $7.00 I decided to scoop up Neon Trees - I really like the Lessons in Love track and dat price is right. They have a cool heart shaped vinyl with that single but it's more than $15 shipped, but the novelty rocks:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Old 03-17-14, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ughhh. That looks pretty sweet but is double what I wanted to spend. Grrr...
I'd buy a used unit.

I've been eye-balling that Queen album for a while on Amazon but never pull the trigger because the original is a $5 record and are around fairly often. That's another album I used to have but must have thrown out at some point.
Old 03-17-14, 11:16 AM

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by MBoyd
By the way he also posted recently that the original TRON soundtrack is coming soon.

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/...audio-fidelity
Excited news about the Tron OST - here's the article for the lazy:

Marshall Blonstein's Audio Fidelity Records today inked the deal with The Walt Disney Corporation to release Wendy Carlos's groundbreaking original soundtrack to the 1982 Disney feature "TRON".
The original release crammed fifty plus minutes onto a single LP and didn't do justice to the soundtrack, which analogplanet.com editor Michael Fremer (that's me) supervised.

I am now in Los Angeles for the mastering session that will begin tomorrow at Kevin Gray's Cohearent mastering.

With all eyes were on the visuals—the first use in a major motion picture of computer animation—the equally innovative soundtrack never got it's due. It was originally envisioned to be mostly synthesizer with some "sweetening" via small string section overdubs but because of production delays involving the groundbreaking computer animation and backlit film processing, in addition to some other issues that will discussed in the liner notes I will contribute, we were forced to reverse the original plan and produce a soundtrack that was mostly orchestral, with synthesizer overdubs.

The final soundtrack includes the 108 piece London Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Douglas Gamley, with orchestration by the late Jorge Callendrelli recorded at The Royal Albert Hall using a BBC remote crew overseen by the late John Mosley, who devised "Quintaphonic Sound" for the "Tommy" movie soundtrack.

Small string ensembles were recorded during the same UK trip at famed Walthamstow Town Hall, the venue where many famous DECCA classical recordings were produced.

Back in America, the UCLA chorus was recorded at Royce Hall, another famous venue and then Wendy Carlos worked her synthesizer magic during a time before polyphonic synthesizers were available. All of these elements had to be synched together and blended and then synched to the final reels of film. It was a monumental effort that Carlos and her producer AnneMarie Franklin managed brilliantly.

The score deserves another listen in the analog domain by another generation and that will happen when this soundtrack is reissued.

It will also include the songs Journey contributed that strangely sound more like The Police than Journey, for good reasons. But you'll have to wait for the liner notes to read all about it!
Old 03-17-14, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I also noticed that Amazon has the Kiss catalog (most of it anyway) for pre-order at about $34 per LP. The one eye-catcher there is Revenge, which I paid $60 for in blue marble. Don't think I'll fork over the $34 for this new version, though.
Old 03-17-14, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why not just buy used copies? $34? Ouch.
Old 03-17-14, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CRM114
Why not just buy used copies? $34? Ouch.
Not for Revenge. Those are sky high. I got mine from a friend who just happened to get the blue marble edition. He cut me a deal, because he could have totally gotten 2-3 times as much on the 3rd market. Friendly prices, so to speak.
Old 03-17-14, 01:29 PM
Banned by request

Ordered that Queen album. It says temporarily out of stock, but still let me order at the $7.99 price.

And a used turntable could give you more bang for the buck than a new lower end turntable, but it may also need sprucing up, which could cost some $$$, and the point of a new low end turntable is to save money.

When I got my Technics, it was from the original owner who had it since 1979, even came with the original box and instruction manual. I still had to spend some money at a shop getting it recalibrated and replacing some worn out parts. It was totally worth it to me, especially since the one I got was way less than the going rate, but not everyone can go that route the first time out.
Old 03-17-14, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I also noticed that Amazon has the Kiss catalog (most of it anyway) for pre-order at about $34 per LP. The one eye-catcher there is Revenge, which I paid $60 for in blue marble. Don't think I'll fork over the $34 for this new version, though.
I know, the prices on these KISS albums is outrageous! Even Destroyer:Resurrected didn't cost that much brand new. I would have gone for some of these at perhaps $10 cheaper a pop, but certainly not at the prices they are currently offering.

Like you, I was fortunate enough to get a blue marbled copy of Revenge, but I got it for an absolute steal (like $12 or $15). I believe I told the story here or somewhere else in this forum already, but I'd been looking for a copy, even a black vinyl one, for years before with no luck.
Old 03-18-14, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
I know, the prices on these KISS albums is outrageous! Even Destroyer:Resurrected didn't cost that much brand new. I would have gone for some of these at perhaps $10 cheaper a pop, but certainly not at the prices they are currently offering.

Like you, I was fortunate enough to get a blue marbled copy of Revenge, but I got it for an absolute steal (like $12 or $15). I believe I told the story here or somewhere else in this forum already, but I'd been looking for a copy, even a black vinyl one, for years before with no luck.
I own the remastered Destroyer vinyl and I paid way under $20 but I bought it from a 3rd market seller brand new. Those 3rd market sellers that have online shops tend to undercut Amazon sometimes, so hopefully when the release date hit these $34 titles will be much lower through those people.
Old 03-18-14, 12:25 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000

You did tell that story.
Old 03-18-14, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I own the remastered Destroyer vinyl and I paid way under $20 but I bought it from a 3rd market seller brand new. Those 3rd market sellers that have online shops tend to undercut Amazon sometimes, so hopefully when the release date hit these $34 titles will be much lower through those people.
True, as with just about any vinyl release and second or third market sellers on Amazon. That said, think I only paid $15 from Amazon directly when it first came out. Granted, it was on sale, but still.

BTW - have you seen this yet?

http://http://www.kissteria.kissonline.com

Typical, over the top fashion for KISS, but all the same, it'd bee pretty sweet to have one of these.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.