Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-14, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The VINYL Thread!

It's about the ritual. It's about something tangible.

If I like something, I want to "own" it. I refuse to pay for a digital file. I will not waste any money that way. I still occasionally buy CDs but mostly I purchase records.

There are many facets in the "which sounds better" argument. I don't get into that because I don't believe there's any point. There are so many things to take into account. It's all about preference.
Old 12-26-14, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

FYI ymmv - If anyone has a Books-A-Million near them, I noticed our local store had a bunch of tiltes marked down to 50% off. Pretty sure it's at brick and mortar locations only, and selection may vary, but I managed to pick up a some decent titles at a great price, including a few Music On Vinyl offerings. There may be nothing you want, but worth a look, just in case.
Old 01-02-15, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Had my eye on a very experience reissue for a while and my Mom gave me a gift card to my local store. $59 for Soul Samba from Blue Note. 45 rpm. It did not disappoint. Steve Hoffman remaster,

And then just watch it will be released in a 33 1/3 and I will buy it too...

I'm ill.

In other news I binge watched Maron on Netflix. White Truck in season 2 has a nice vinyl centric episode. The know it all Depeche Mode hating clerk. Chinese tube amps vs Mcintosh tube gear. The friend who says his iPod Nano sounds better. It's like my life on Netflix!
Old 01-03-15, 01:57 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The only record I've gotten recently was the Scott Walker/Sunn O))) collaboration "Soused", which tied with Gazelle Twin's "Unflesh" for my favorite album of the year. Sadly, it doesn't seem like "Unflesh" came out on vinyl.
Old 01-04-15, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,199 Likes on 923 Posts

Had some Amoeba credit and finally got Coheed and Cambria's In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth and I scored a copy of the Death Waltz Halloween II soundtrack. I got the clear vinyl variant of that one.

Old 01-05-15, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't believe the clear is actually a variant, since this is from DW's reissues of their old Carpenter stuff. The standard issue on those is clear.

I, now, need to re-buy Halloween III because the reissue includes additional cues. Fucking vinyl double dipping. GTFO.
Old 01-05-15, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have a pretty huge Miles Davis vinyl collection but, WOW, the recent MFSL releases are something else. I have Bitches Brew, In A Silent Way, and Sorcerer. Can't wait for Jack Johnson as my original copy is quite noisy/beat.

I also got the Rhino reissue of Love's Forever Changes as my original while looking good is unlistenable with noise. Wow. I never heard it sound so good on vinyl.
Old 01-05-15, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
I have a pretty huge Miles Davis vinyl collection but, WOW, the recent MFSL releases are something else. I have Bitches Brew, In A Silent Way, and Sorcerer. Can't wait for Jack Johnson as my original copy is quite noisy/beat.

I also got the Rhino reissue of Love's Forever Changes as my original while looking good is unlistenable with noise. Wow. I never heard it sound so good on vinyl.
In a Silent Way is my favorite Miles album... I might pick that one up on your recommendation. I'm sure that'll lead to my eventually getting all of these, though. :-)

By the way, have you heard the two new 45rpm Miles albums? I want them, but I'm a little put off by the price...

Last edited by wmermine; 01-05-15 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-05-15, 08:43 PM

What's the deal with buying Vinyls from the marketplace at Discogs.com? Would you say that it's safe / reliable, etc.? There's a couple of albums I'm looking at right now that are a steal compared to their prices on Amazon and I'm a little weary of doing it just yet.
Old 01-05-15, 08:57 PM
Banned by request

I've purchased a few records through discogs. Never had any problems. It's nice that you can find out exactly what issue a seller has, as opposed to a place like eBay where it can be difficult at times to determine which version of the record you're getting. I also like their make an offer feature, it's gotten me a few albums for under the listed price.
Old 01-05-15, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Discogs is great. I've never had a problem, and I've probably bought about 15 LPs and a few rare CDs from sellers on there. Just check the reviews of the seller before you buy.

Also, the album condition ratings are the most honest by far of anywhere I've bought vinyl, usually better than they even state.
Old 01-06-15, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wmermine
In a Silent Way is my favorite Miles album... I might pick that one up on your recommendation. I'm sure that'll lead to my eventually getting all of these, though. :-)

By the way, have you heard the two new 45rpm Miles albums? I want them, but I'm a little put off by the price...
The latest one I purchased, Sorcerer, is 45 RPM and it was $38. I don't believe the other two MFSL albums I got are 45 RPM.

By the way, In A Silent Way is probably my favorite Miles record too and although I have a pretty clean original, the new MFSL version is pretty great.
Old 01-06-15, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I've purchased a few records through discogs. Never had any problems. It's nice that you can find out exactly what issue a seller has, as opposed to a place like eBay where it can be difficult at times to determine which version of the record you're getting. I also like their make an offer feature, it's gotten me a few albums for under the listed price.
Except eBay has lots of photos. Discogs, you go in blind and a couple times the people tell me they already sold it in their store and didn't update Discogs. That's annoying as hell.

My routine is to bide my time. Everything I want always seems to appear when I least expect in a local store.
Old 01-06-15, 02:40 PM

The latest one I purchased, Sorcerer, is 45 RPM and it was $38. I don't believe the other two MFSL albums I got are 45 RPM.

By the way, In A Silent Way is probably my favorite Miles record too and although I have a pretty clean original, the new MFSL version is pretty great.
My copy of In a Silent Way will be here tomorrow.

I don't have any 45rpm albums. Do you think that helps the sounds quality in some way? I'm very tempted to get the Stevie Ray Vaughn box set of 45s...
Old 01-06-15, 02:42 PM

Re: Buying used albums

I really like Music Stack.
Old 01-06-15, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Discogs rocks.
Old 01-06-15, 03:04 PM

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

I've bought and sold through Discogs. No complaints thus far.
Old 01-06-15, 03:33 PM

Thanks everyone. Just purchased a few vinyls from a record store about an hour away from me so hopefully the stuff doesn't take too long to get to me. I just discovered this record store last week and I plan on going back there on Friday when I have time, but I didn't see the vinyls I ordered out on the store's shelves so I figured it's no big deal if they can't fulfill the order if the albums were sold or whatnot.
Old 01-06-15, 04:11 PM
Banned by request

Except eBay has lots of photos. Discogs, you go in blind and a couple times the people tell me they already sold it in their store and didn't update Discogs. That's annoying as hell.

My routine is to bide my time. Everything I want always seems to appear when I least expect in a local store.
The high rated sellers on discogs give enough written detail that I've always felt I knew exactly what I was getting and never got something that wildly differed from those expectations.

I also follow a few vinyl shops on Instagram that sell stuff either on eBay or through email/paypal. Got a MFSL of The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust that way for around $30.

My local shop is Amoeba, it's difficult to gauge what will show up there (both in a fun surprising way and also in a frustrating "Why don't they ever have this album?!" way). Discogs is great for finding specific releases of an album. If I want a first pressing of the Blue Monday single, I'm going to go to Discogs, because who knows which versions (if any) Amoeba will have.
Old 01-07-15, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, Discogs is great if you need or want something specific as soon as possible. If you want an original Nick Drake UK pressing, you are pretty much only going to get it through Discogs. I would be shocked to see one roll into the local shops. That being said, when I look for something on Discogs, I question whether things for sale are actually the pressing they list under.

I try and get to my local store every weekend and it's part of the fun of never knowing what will be waiting for me. His inventory constantly changes weekly and it's cool to see the collections this guy stumbles on. A month or so ago, he got in like 4 original Velvet Underground and Nico albums in the course of two weeks. The last one was ridiculous, near mint in every way - $350.
Old 01-07-15, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wmermine
My copy of In a Silent Way will be here tomorrow.

I don't have any 45rpm albums. Do you think that helps the sounds quality in some way? I'm very tempted to get the Stevie Ray Vaughn box set of 45s...
I'm probably the wrong person to ask. I don't qualify myself as any sort of audiophile.
Old 01-07-15, 01:04 PM

I'm not much of an audiophile either.

I am sampling In a Silent Way that I just got in, though, and it sounds incredible on my setup. I'm also very impressed by the care that seems to have gone into this Mobile Fidelity release. As I suspected, I think I'll be getting many more of these.
Old 01-07-15, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not an audiophile but I can tell the difference between my old copy and the MFSL copy if not just in the complete silence in the quiet parts. And yes, the whole package is great.
Old 01-07-15, 02:07 PM

I went ahead and ordered Milestones as well, just to be certain I'm impressed with the quality...
Old 01-07-15, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wanted to point out that my copy of Coheed and Cambria's In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth also had excessive jacket shavings on the second disc. I cleaned it all up, though. I don't know what the hell happened at the pressing or where they pack them but that shit was annoying.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.