Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-24, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 405 Likes on 272 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

I'm just heading out to the record store right now if anyone here would like to join me ...
The following 2 users liked this post by Toby Dramit:
andicus (05-14-24), Nesbit (05-14-24)
Old 05-14-24, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,744 Posts

I wish!
Old 05-14-24, 03:33 PM
X
Administrator

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

The surfactant came today and I’m testing it out. The washing record looks like the water penetrates between the grooves better with it.

The cleaning works so well I’m going to check out some used record stores soon.
The following users liked this post:
Toby Dramit (05-14-24)
Old 05-17-24, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Black Sabbath S/T was just released as a part of the Rhino High Fidelity Series, AAA cut and limited to 5000 numbered copies. I grabbed a copy, it will probably sell out fast. Can't wait to hear it, I was really impressed with Television's Marquee Moon from the same series.

The following 2 users liked this post by cultshock:
andicus (05-17-24), Rival11 (08-13-24)
Old 05-20-24, 09:38 AM

Received 113 Likes on 92 Posts

Looks like they also released Devo's Freedom of Choice in this latest batch. I'm curious to hear what the BS sounds like. Won't be too difficult to improve on the initial WB green label pressings but doubt it can top the OG UK on Vertigo.
Old 05-20-24, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Looks like they also released Devo's Freedom of Choice in this latest batch. I'm curious to hear what the BS sounds like. Won't be too difficult to improve on the initial WB green label pressings but doubt it can top the OG UK on Vertigo.
Yeah, I doubt it could beat an OG Vertigo, but a nice copy of that would probably cost more money than I'd like. It should be pointed out that this is the North American version of the album from the original US tapes, with Wicked World instead of Evil Woman (the former of which is a better song anyway) as Rhino/Warner doesn't have the rights to the original UK tapes. There has been a bit of general bitching about that, but I'm fine with it (I already have a decent reissue of the UK version anyway).
Old 05-25-24, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,142 Likes on 802 Posts

As posted in the 'Last thing you bought' thread...

My PL-115D with transplanted dust cover, lateral counterweight, 45 adapter, and anti-skate knob.

This is currently paired with an Ortofon OM 10 cartridge.

The following 4 users liked this post by andicus:
cultshock (05-26-24), Nesbit (05-25-24), Paff (05-26-24), Toby Dramit (05-25-24)
Old 05-28-24, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 471 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
Black Sabbath S/T was just released as a part of the Rhino High Fidelity Series, AAA cut and limited to 5000 numbered copies. I grabbed a copy, it will probably sell out fast. Can't wait to hear it, I was really impressed with Television's Marquee Moon from the same series.

Sold out in 5 days.
Old 05-28-24, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, it lasted maybe a day or so longer on Warner Music Canada's website (which is where I bought it) but now sold out there as well. I'm glad I jumped on it fast, I figured it wouldn't last long. Hopefully this kind of demand helps make Rhino/Warner consider other Sabbath titles for the series.
Old 06-07-24, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
Sold out in 5 days.
My copy finally arrived today, can't wait to listen to it tonight. It's already selling for $120-$150 on Discogs, damn I'm glad I didn't snooze on this!
andicus (06-08-24)
Old 06-14-24, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One of our local record stores purchased a collection of sealed 80s vinyl albums (never opened) from the estate of a collector who passed away. Went down there this morning and picked a few of them up:

Echo & The Bunnymen ..... Porcupine
The FIXX ..... React (recorded live in Montreal & Toronto 1986)
INXS ..... Listen Like Thieves (my favorite of their studio albums)
New Order ..... The Peel Sessions 1982
Simple Minds ..... Live In The City Of Light
Simple Minds ..... Once Upon A Time (fantastic album)
The Pursuit Of Happiness ..... Love Junk (another fantastic album)

Also picked up a sealed copy of the 2004 Rhino edition of Echo & The Bunnymen's debut album Crocodiles. Going to head back there next week to check out some jazz albums ...
Old 06-14-24, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

What was the damage to the wallet.
Old 06-14-24, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Less than $400 CAD. The Crocodiles reissue was the most expensive, actually, at around $95.
Old 06-15-24, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's a nice stack of albums and sealed to boot!
Toby Dramit (06-15-24)
Old 06-15-24, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Went back today and picked up another sealed vintage album from that collection ...

Yeah, I'm pretty happy right now. It's been a good couple of days ...
Can't wait to dig in ...
The following 2 users liked this post by Toby Dramit:
andicus (06-16-24), VHS? (06-15-24)
Old 06-15-24, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had that from my dads collection but I sold it back in like '04 because a buddy kept bugging me. Wasn't sealed but in pristine condish
Old 06-15-24, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I sold off a bunch of near-mint vinyl albums back in the day that I wish I hadn't, either. The Scorpions 'Virgin Killer' (with the banned cover), Iron Maiden's 'The Number Of The Beast' picture disc from the early 80s, and Led Zeppelin IV are a few that come to mind. I'd get a pretty penny for them today methinks.
Old 06-15-24, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,025 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Dramit
One of our local record stores purchased a collection of sealed 80s vinyl albums (never opened) from the estate of a collector who passed away. Went down there this morning and picked a few of them up:

Echo & The Bunnymen ..... Porcupine
The FIXX ..... React (recorded live in Montreal & Toronto 1986)
INXS ..... Listen Like Thieves (my favorite of their studio albums)
New Order ..... The Peel Sessions 1982
Simple Minds ..... Live In The City Of Light
Simple Minds ..... Once Upon A Time (fantastic album)
The Pursuit Of Happiness ..... Love Junk (another fantastic album)

Also picked up a sealed copy of the 2004 Rhino edition of Echo & The Bunnymen's debut album Crocodiles. Going to head back there next week to check out some jazz albums ...
Man, sealed originals are my absolute favorites. Great sound, and never ever any digital signal in the flow. I regret passing on a sealed copy of Ramones' second album Leave Home when I ran across it. Even then, I've managed to find some in the racks from time to time. I have a copy of The Cars' Candy-O that never saw the light of day till I took the shrink off it. But it was a Columbia House pressing, unfortunately, and those are not as good, usually.

I probably would have bitten on that sealed Van Halen record, and I don't even like Van Halen.

Today I stopped at Vinyl Junkies because they've been cutting prices on some recent records that haven't moved. They knocked off 25%, and this weekend they were taking an additional 20% off the discounted price. I walked out with:

999 - Bish! Bash! Bosh!
Flamin' Groovies - Shake Some Action (2021 pressing)
Fountains of Wayne - Out of State Plates
The Real Kids - Shake...Outta Control
The Selecter - Human Algebra (RIP, "Gaps")
Starcrawler - She Said

and from the used new arrivals section, I found a decent copy of Talking Heads' Remain in Light. Been wanting that one a while.
Toby Dramit (06-15-24)
Old 06-15-24, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Paff
I have a copy of The Cars' Candy-O that never saw the light of day till I took the shrink off it.
Candy-O is one of my favorite albums of all time. I still have the original vinyl that I got back in '79 but I've played the hell out of it over the years and it shows. Last year I decided it was time for an upgrade so I ordered the expanded Rhino-Elektra edition (with the demos) but I was sent the clear vinyl single album version by mistake. I was going to keep it anyway but I didn't think the sound quality was all that great so I sold it and bought the limited numbered MoFi edition instead. I'm glad I did as it sounds fantastic ...
Old 06-16-24, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,142 Likes on 802 Posts

Went back today and picked up another sealed vintage album from that collection ...

Yeah, I'm pretty happy right now. It's been a good couple of days ...
Can't wait to dig in ...
ARGH! Another LP I know I owned that has mysteriously disappeared. Things like this drive me nuts.

I bought it after seeing them open for Black Sabbath, in 1978.

Old 06-16-24, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by andicus
ARGH! Another LP I know I owned that has mysteriously disappeared.
I know what you mean. I've had a few records 'mysteriously' go missing over the years ... including a laser-etched 7" single of The Best Of Times by Styx (just beautiful), coincidentally enough on the same day that I showed it to a bunch of friends that I had over after school, and a few that I'm sure my ex may have 'inadvertently on purpose' taken with her when we split up. Some of those were my favorites, too. What can you do?
andicus (06-16-24)
Old 06-16-24, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I sold off a bunch of near-mint vinyl albums back in the day that I wish I hadn't, either. The Scorpions 'Virgin Killer' (with the banned cover), Iron Maiden's 'The Number Of The Beast' picture disc from the early 80s, and Led Zeppelin IV are a few that come to mind. I'd get a pretty penny for them today methinks.
Oof, tell me about it! Back around 1999-2000 I sold a bunch of near mint metal albums on eBay, I thought "no one listens to vinyl anymore" and was happy to get 20 to 30 bucks a pop for them. I had some great first pressings of albums from Bathory, Celtic Frost, etc. that would go for hundreds of dollars each these days. And don't even get me started about a case of metal and punk cassettes that I just threw away during a move nearly 20 years ago, as they were getting no money back then. "No one wants cassettes anymore."
Toby Dramit (06-16-24)
Old 06-16-24, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, if only our future selves would've come back to warn us about it.

Damn you, future/current self. Thanks for nothin' ...
Old 06-16-24, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,085 Posts

Back around the late 90s and early 00s I went on a big vinyl buying binge on eBay and started filling in holes in my collection.

It was definitely a buyer's market back then, and I could pick up mint/mint condition LPs in the five dollar range. Even OOP stuff where the CDs might sell in the $50-$100 range could be had on vinyl for under bucks shipped.

Even better than the early 90s switchover to CD when people were dumping their LP collections and used stores and I managed to pick up lots of mainstream stuff in pristine condition out of the dollar bins. (I got Queen's full discography that way, and most of Bowie's.)

But with eBay I managed to snag a lot of rare and obscure heavy metal stuff I either never picked up the first time around, or could never find in stores. ("Perfect Man" by Rage, "Endless War" by Realm, in addition to a lot imports.)

I've never owned the banned cover that Scorpions album; I don't think I'd even want to have it in my house.
Old 06-16-24, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I've never owned the banned cover that Scorpions album; I don't think I'd even want to have it in my house.
Yeah, it was definitely a conversation starter whenever someone saw it in my collection. I was a Scorpions fan back in '82 and bought a few of their albums at the time. It was in the import section at Mister Sound and even the cashier was surprised that they carried it when I brought it to the till. I thought it was just their regular cover at the time ...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.